Her Missing Child

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 26 Sep 2019

This book was a quick and easy read. The characters were well developed and I was invested. I didn't realize this was a part of a series, and I will go back now and read the first book.

I was given this book from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.
Thank you for this advanced copy of "Safe Home" By Kerry Watts.
I had not read the previous book to this author, I wish I had!

Not because it affects reading this book, it was just this book was so good I want to of read them in sequence, and will be looking forward to the next installment of D.I Jessie Blake.

This storyline was very good, 102 chapters I think!? I was shocked when I got to 100 it's not something you find in most books, but I loved the short chapters made up of all the different characters in this book. It gave me countless opportunity to pick up the book as and when, and easily put it down again and know where I had left off.
The characters themselves were a great mix, a real suspense of "who dunnit'", it was not easy to guess the outcome and with 2 stories running along side each other, when one was tied up you still had the other to look forward to!

Will definitely look out for the next book by Kerry Watts and will go back to read Heartlands. I have faith it's going to be just as good as this!

Totally recommend ☺️
I always did not fit anywhere and we can do strange things .
When Darren Lucas becomes home from work and to a silence of nothing and his wife Clare is in her pyjamas and Finlay has gone , what does he think of his son has gone
I had an ARC  from Bookouture
Thank you to NetGalley for the advance copy of this novel. Set in Scotland this is the second in the DI Jessie Blake. The story delves deeper into Jessie’s past and the dreadful things she has experienced. The case of missing baby Finley touches on her own past and impacts on her judgement as she struggles to find the truth.

This novel is all about the red herrings which are cleverly woven into the story. Your opinion on the characters and who is guilty of what changes with every chapter. The reality of what has happened is dreadful when it comes and the clues were well set out in the lead up the reveal.

I enjoyed this novel a lot and look forward to more from this series.
This is the second book in the Detective Jessie Blake Series.

Not everything is as it seems! Whose telling the truth?

Jessie and her team are sent to investigate the disappearance of a baby boy 'Finlay' who is taken from his cot whilst his mother is sleeping.

The story will have you gripped and guessing until the end. Some great believable characters.

Was great to see the acknowledgement of  Mental Health (Bi-polar disorder and post-natal depression) within the story.
This was an interesting story and although it is part of a series, you don't need to be familiar with the previous books to enjoy this novel. The characters are well developed and it kept me turning the pages. I did however struggle with keeping track of the characters in the beginning. I would have enjoyed a little more history before the story took off. Even though I was a little frustrated, it all falls into place. The pace of the story was good and I changed my mind a few times as I was trying to figure out what exactly happened to the baby. The main character is very enjoyable and I would be interested in reading more from this author because she was such a likable part of the story.
I enjoyed reading this book although it was quite low key and at times I wondered how it would be able to continue on its permanent even keel. The characters were very rounded and very easy to imagine. I wouldn't put this in the category of psychological thriller, there's not a lot thrilling about it. But nevertheless it kept me interested to the end although being honest I wasn't really bothered about what happened to the guilty parties when all was revealed. Where the book did shine was in the descriptions of the short life of little Finlay and these went a long way to breaking my heart right up until the very end. His death and the events surrounding it were covered expertly and at the very end where his father is going through his clothes and toys I could have cried and cried for the loss of his joyful son.
Great read. Heartbreaking in places. This book is full of suspense and emotion. I am really enjoying reading this series.

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy.
Safe Home by Kerry Watts is an excellent read.  It's the second book in the Detective Jessica Blake series. I haven't read the first, though I wish I had, and it's fine as a standalone book. I really liked Jessica, she's a good policewoman but comes with her own problems from the past, which I really would like to know more about! The story starts with a missing baby but soon escalates into something more. Full of interesting characters and twists and turns, Safe Home soon grabbed my interest.

Thank you Kerry Watts and  NetGalley for my copy.
On the whole I did enjoy this. I didn’t realise it was second in a series, but it didn’t seem to matter too much.
This was an enjoyable if not terribly exciting book. There were plenty of suspects but the identity of the killer was unexpected to say the least. I liked the team of cops and will look out for this author in the future.

Posted on Goodreads and Amazon
Thanks to a reviewer I discovered that this book was the second in a series, so I downloaded ‘Heartlands’ from Amazon and read both in order. I put a review of it on Amazon. It was a superb read. The format in ‘Safe Home’ is different. It follows chronological rules in the third person. There were a few hints in the first book about Jessie’s fear of her ex-husband, Dan, so I was delighted that this was fleshed out in the second book. As in the first book, there are a diverse set of characters. It made me wonder if there was a problem in the water in that vicinity. Finlay, a baby is snatched from his cot. That’s all I can give away. My most significant difficulty with the book was that there were so many characters. I had to figure out who they were and their relationship to each other. I got there in the end, but it slowed down my reading progress. Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture.
I saw this and wanted to read it as it's based in Scotland, around Glasgow. Then I discovered it was the 2nd in a series so had to go read the first, Heartlands, first.  It was ok but felt a bit amateurish in places.  However, I liked the 2 police detectives and I also like to read the 2nd in a series if I feel it deserves another chance.

So I just finished reading Safe Home and much preferred it to the first.  The author has learnt a few lessons I think.  There is still an abundance of characters but not so many that it's hard to keep track of them (like in Heartlands).  I also liked the progression of the two main leads AND the introduction of a third police character whom I'd like to see continue in the series too.

In Heartlands, I felt the author's timing or chronology wasn't great, e.g., Jessie sends her assistant constable to the kitchen to make tea whilst she sits down with the woman she wants to question and before she's even asked anything, hey presto the constable appears with a full tray with cups of tea and biscuits!  So that felt like a thought process rather than a well written scene.  Thankfully, that wasn't present in this book.  The only mistake I picked up on is when Darren escaped from Dylan (the assistant constable), jumped in his car and got away but it reads that Dylan's wheels spun on the gravel!  It should have said Darren, who was escaping from Dylan.

I also like Jessie's back story, although for a D.I, she seems a little too accepting of noises and things she thinks she's seen out of the corner of her eye.  She's aware her violent ex husband is stalking her but still dismisses things that go bump in the night!  I want to see her being more in control of this situation and protecting herself better.  I DO like that there may be a new love interest in Benito and that her stalking ex husband has just seen them together in a cafe, laughing.  So I'm not sure Ben is going to last very long!

I also want to find out more about her marriage and the violence that went on ... and how exactly she lost her baby.  This is referred to much more in Safe Home than in Heartlands.

Interesting that the story in both books is about the loss of a child and the parents being best friend couples having an affair with the best friend's wife or husband.  So both books seem quite similar apart from the age of the child who's lost.

Safe Home however did include a second death which needed investigating alongside the child death as there was some interlacing of relationships and characters.  It added another dimension and the whilst the perpetrator of the baby death was fairly obvious, the perp of the second murder wasn't and even in the reveal, I thought, nope, another red herring ... but the surprise was that it wasn't a red herring at all!

I look forward to a third book in the series but I really do hope it's not a repetition of the same crime and the same marriages/friendhips/cheating relationships.    Other than that, definitely want to read more of the main characters and see how they progress.
Great book will be reading other books by this author.
Will also recommend this book to others.
Great read! 5*****
I believe this is the second in this series of books and I’m keen to now read the first.

DCI Jessie Blake and her team are called to investigate the disappearance of a young baby, Finlay, from his cot whilst his mother, Claire, took a nap.  Claire is suffering from severe postnatal depression and home life for her and her husband, Darren, is draining, chaotic and unhappy with everything falling on Darren’s shoulders.  Has Claire hurt her baby or are others involved in an abduction of the child.  Time is of the essence to find out the truth.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would highly recommend it to others.

Many thanks to the publishers and netgalley for the advanced copy in exchange an honest review.
4.5 stars for me !

This book will grab your from page one to the last page.   It will have you thinking and guessing:  who is innocent , who is covering up , who is guilty.

All the characters have a story of their own.

This is the second book in the series of Detective Jessica Blake who has a past of her own.

The ending left me wanting more in this series.   I  have gone to purchase the first book, Heartlands as I want to know more about Jessie and what her story is .

Give this series and this book for sure a read !!

I know its  a good read when hours later I am still thinking about the book.

Thanks to Net Galley and Bookouture for allowing me to help solve the case; not well mind you !!
I enjoyed Safe Home by Kerry Watts and thought the author did a good job in braiding together multiple people who could possibly be guilty. I wasn’t totally sure which direction the book would go in which is what you want when reading a thriller.

When Darren Lucas returns home from work, he finds an unusual silence in his normally loud and chaotic family home. His wife Claire sits in unwashed pyjamas, surrounded by piles of laundry. But the silence isn’t just from her. It’s from their six-month-old son Finlay’s room too. There are no shrieks of laughter, no calls for ‘Daddy’ as the front door closes. Instead, as Darren peers into his son’s bedroom, he sees nothing except Finlay’s beloved teddy bear lying on the bed. There’s no sign of Finlay at all.

Detective Jessie Blake is called to the family’s home and she soon senses something isn’t right with the couple. Darren is avoiding making eye contact and Claire seems disconnected – completely unable to account for the last few hours of her afternoon.

Friends rally round the young family, as a search of the small Scottish village begins and it’s not long before Jessie and her team make a devastating find. Buried deep in the undergrowth of a local woodland lies Finlay’s tiny body.

As Jessie begins to piece together the last few hours of Finlay’s life, she uncovers some big secrets in the small community. But who took the little boy? And is anyone telling the truth about what happened that day?

A quick and easy read with a satisfying ending.

Due out September 26.
Thanks Netgalley and the publisher for the eArc. This is the second book in the Jessie Blake series. Twists and surprises throughout. A baby that disappears is found dead. A very emotional, amazingly written book. Must read the first book in order to fully understand this one. Looking forward to book three!
A harrowing story surrounding a missing child later found dead  leaving Jessie Blake having to dig into the parents backgrounds and the last few moments of the poor childs life.

You do need to read the first in the series to understand the characters background and this is just as good as the first
A dark and twisted plot surrounding the death of a baby. It seems everyone connected to the case has secrets but it's difficult to feel sympathy for any of the victims