Cover Image: The Liar's Sister

The Liar's Sister

This was a gripping and well written psychological thriller that I read in one sitting because I couldn't put it down.  I kept wondering what would happen next and before I knew it, I was finished reading!  I highly recommend it!
Thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Rosie is summoned by her sister Heather and returns to the village where she grew up just in time to say goodbye to her ill mother before she dies. Rosie accused a local boy of rape 10 years ago and he later disappeared. Heather believes her sister killed him.

I had trouble getting into this book and trouble sticking with it until about the last third. There were lots of people in the village that wanted the sisters gone thanks to what had happened in the past and sometimes I had trouble keeping their stories straight. Also, I was frustrated with Heather for beating around the bush with Rosie. Ask her what happened that night!! Of course is she he done that, there would have been no book. The final third redeemed the book somewhat because there were a lot of people that were guilty of something and there was one last unexpected twist at the end. I wish the build up had been as good as the end.
Sarah has done it again! This book is a ripper! Gripped right from the start, I couldn’t race through the pages fast enough to see how this was all going unfold. It has everything that you want in a psychological thriller and more. Be prepared to be hooked and buckle up, as Sarah takes you on a wild ride that is full of twists and turns that don’t stop until the unexpected thrilling conclusion.

Sarah has created a chilling and intricate, tale that is told from the perspective of two sisters Rosie and Heather. Alternating from each ones persepctive over different timelines, we see Heather wanting to get to the bottom of what really happened the night Samual disappeared, while Rosie tries to keep what she witnessed that night buried. But not all secrets can be kept buried and as the story progresses each one is unraveled leading to the most shocking of all jaw dropping revelations.

The characters are very well developed and are brought to life through the pages perfectly. I really resonated with both Rosie and Heather and could feel both of their pain, not only over what happened to Samuel but also dealing with death of their mother and judgement of the small minded townsfolk. I really like how this story was not just a mystery but also about family and after having been estranged for so long, we get a really great insight in to how the events of the past have changed them into the women they have become in the present while they try and rebuild and repair the bond they once shared as sisters.

This is a slow burn, but not in a way where you are wanting it to move along. It is done to build tension, which Sarah does really well here and she gives you just enough throughout to keep you wanting more and more and more!…It is emotive, pulls at the heartstrings, is captivating, engaging, thought provoking and completely addictive, which is all encapsulated through brilliant writing. This is a first class psychological thriller and a five star read that I can not recommend highly enough!

Having only been introduced to Sarah’s work this year, this is only the second book I have read of hers, but she is one that is now on my radar and I am looking forward to many more books to come from her.

Thank-you to NetGalley, Bookouture and Sarah A. Denzil for allowing me to read an advanced copy of The Liar’s Sister which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.
and the twists keep coming!!!

Sarah A. Denzil has written another fast paced twisted thriller that left my head spinning! First of all I want to address how hard it is to please a thriller Reader these days (myself included). We want a book full of twists and turns that we don’t see coming, Full of tension that keeps us on the edge of our seat. We want an ending that will completely shock us, and we want it to be entirely believable. On top of that we want likable characters that we can relate to, that are completely nuts, that do unthinkable things, but are never over the top. Damn we are a tough crowd! This book will check almost all a thriller lover’s boxes, with the exception of believability and being over the top. But I’m here to say I’m OK with that and I’m here for it! This book kept me engaged and absorbed from first sentence to last. There were plenty of twists and turns that I did not see coming and an ending that definitely shocked me. Was it over the top? Was it slightly unbelievable? Yes! But I don’t care because I enjoyed every single minute of it!

The book completely sucked me in from the very beginning with a letter written by Heather to her sister Rosie confessing that she knew she was a murderer. The story then bounces back-and-forth between Heather in the present day and Rosie in the past. Something happened 10 years ago that completely impacted the sisters lives in a negative way. Something neither of them have ever completely gotten over. The truth was slowly revealed to us through the alternating perspectives, but then at about 75% BAM! Things went sideways and it was twist after twist after twist after twist. If you read this and were able to puzzle this entire mystery together, my hats off to you! This is an addictive thriller you can definitely read in one sitting!

This book in three emojis:  🧩 🚨 ✉️
The story is based around 2 sisters, quiet, level headed Heather and her older, wilder sister Rosie. Opening with a letter written from Heather to Rosie and we immediately establish that they have a troubled relationship and there are secrets here to be uncovered. This hooked me in right away.

Reunited after their mother passed away, Heather wants to find some answers from her sister Rosie. Her friend Samuel went missing 10 years ago and she suspects her sister has something to do with it. But will she get the answers she is looking for after all these years or is she better off leaving the past where it belongs?

Set in a small village almost cut off from the rest of the country by being surrounded by woods, this book has a creepy setting. There are lots of scenes involving stumbling around in the dark, tripping over branches, it's very atmospheric and has probably put me off living in a small village for life!

Told from Heather's point of view in the present day and Rosie's in the past, slowly everything is revealed to us. A little too slowly for me, at one point I did feel like it was dragging on a bit and I felt myself slightly losing interest. However, the action definitely picks up towards the end and when everything is revealed (and there is a lot to be revealed) there were a few bits that caught me by surprise.

In fact, it's the ending that bumped this up to a four-star book for me, before that I would have rated it a three. It's a good psychological thriller based around family secrets. Nothing new and groundbreaking but gripping and interesting enough to keep you turning the pages.

Thank you Netgalley for the advanced copy in exchange for a full honest review.
The Liar’s Sister by Sarah A. Denzil is a psychological thriller that’s full of family secrets and lies. There are twists and turns throughout and once started you will not want to put this superb thriller down until the final page has been turned.

The book starts with a letter: a letter from Heather to her big sister, Rosie. But it’s a letter Heather never has any intention of sending as she hasn’t seen her sister since their father’s funeral five years ago and has no idea where she is.

But now their mother is terminally ill and has asked to see Rosie, so Heather has no other choice than to try to contact her sister and ask her to come home. But the last thing Heather wants is for Rosie to come home. She is convinced that a decade earlier Rosie killed their neighbour, sixteen year old Samuel Murray who went missing and was never seen again. You see, Heather saw something that night that can’t be explained. And now that Rosie is back, she wants answers…

The story is told from the points of view of the two sisters, both in the past and in the present. As the long hidden story slowly unfolds, Heather and Rosie soon come to realise that someone doesn’t want them there. But who? And does this have anything to do with what happened to Samuel all those years ago? As the lies of the past begin to unravel, the tension builds to breaking point as the sisters begin to fear for their lives. But are they able to trust each other? And is Rosie telling Heather the truth? Or is the truth even more shocking than Heather could ever have imagined?

The Liar’s Sister will keep you guessing right up until the final page has been turned, which is the kind of book I love. It’s an exhilarating read that takes you on a rollercoaster of a journey that is as exciting as it is thrilling, with twists and turns to keep you on your toes throughout.

Sarah A. Denzil has written a superb psychological thriller that I would highly recommend.
This starts with Heather writing a letter to her sister Rosie….it says she thinks she is a murderer.

Heather returns home to support her mother, who is near the end of her life. She wants to see Rosie too. But, Heather and Rosie have drifted apart since Heather’s friend Samuel disappeared ten years ago.

Rosie was troubled, with various addictions and even passed out behind a sofa at her father funeral…

So Heather contacts her sister and she arrives, clean and sober to say her goodbye to her mother. But they receive a note after a break in and it seems the local village want them all gone. But why?

Told from each of the women’s perspective and from the past and present, we find out what happened all those years ago…this is a story of family and secrets….but who else knows ?

The Liar’s Sister is a fast read, in that it keeps your attention throughout, with secrets, lies and a marvellously twisty plot. Thoroughly entertaining.

Thank you to Bookouture and NetGalley for a free copy of the ebook. This is my honest, unbiased review.
Ten years ago, the rural village of Buckthorpe was rocked by the disappearance of sixteen-year-old Samuel Murray after the most popular girl in the village, Rosie Sharpe accused him of trying to rape her. No one knows what happened to Samuel, but Rosie's younger sister, Heather believes she knows exactly who is responsible for his disappearance. On the night that he vanished, Heather saw Rosie sneaking back into the house, her clothes were torn and she was trembling with fear. She never told anyone what she saw that night. Not even Rosie knows that she was seen by Heather. Now, they are both back in the village to be with their dying mother. But when their house is ransacked and they receive a threatening note, it becomes obvious that someone wants them gone from the village. Heather is convinced that what's happening now is connected to Samuel, and decides to finally confront her sister about that night. But the question is -Will Heather be able to handle the truth? What a brilliant, suspenseful thriller! The story is well written and the creepy, sometimes scary rural setting was perfect for this twisty thriller. This is a dark tale of lies, family secrets, betrayal, and I was hooked from the first page to the last. This book is full of twists and turns that will keep you on the edge of your seat. I am still reeling from the shocking ending. I did not see it coming! This is my first time reading a book by Sarah A. Denzil and it's certainly not going to be the last. Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Rosie and Heather are sisters who have been estranged for many years. The last Heather knew of Rosie she was on drugs and in a bad place in her life and never answered phone calls or emails. Heather moved back home to take care of their dying mom and her last request was to see Rosie. Heather finally manages to get a hold of her.
10 years ago a boy , Samuel went missing and Heather thinks Rosie had something to do with it and he was best friend with Heather. Now that both sisters are back in town they are being told to leave and they aren't welcome there anymore.
Finally the truth of the night Samuel went missing comes out and what Rosie tells Heather is worse than she imagined. As the lies of that night start coming into light then more things start happening and there are even more twists to this story.
I could not put this down at all. I was wrong on quite a few things and shocked a couple of times.
I received this ARC from Bookouture and NetGalley for review.
I’ve read all of Sarah Denzil’s books, so I knew I would like this one. Fast paced, a mix of likeable and unlikeable characters, twists & turns - a great story. Can’t wait for the next.
The Liar’s Sister is the second book I’ve read by Sarah.A.Denzil and definitely didn’t disappoint.
This is a thriller set in dual timelines and works very well leaving you very clear from the start of each chapter which time your in. This is a very twisted thriller with a lot going on and a lot of lies and deception getting tangled with the truth. Who do you trust in this small town thriller, well I for one wasn’t trusting anyone by a quarter of the way in. Upto about three quarters of the way in this is a good thriller, each chapter pulling back the layers and exposing a new truth or lie and I enjoyed this style of writing. The last quarter is everything you thought you knew being turned on it’s head and leaving you with a totally different feeling for the majority of the characters. The characters were well formed and the two sisters, Rosie and Heather were good lead characters with both having different flaws in their characters making them interesting to read about.
I would like to thank Netgalley and Bookouture for this ARC I received in exchange for an honest review.
All the way through this book, the mantra ‘What a tangled web we weave …” kept repeating itself on a loop, in my head! And this is a tremendously tangled web!

The book opens with a letter being written by Heather, to her older sister Rosie. She never intends to send this letter. It’s meant to be more of a catharsis than anything else. The sisters grew up in the relatively small, and somewhat parochial sounding village of Blackthorpe. However, after being close when they were younger, that all changed ten years previously when their friend Samuel Murray disappeared one night and was never seen again. Heather is sure that Rosie knows more than she claims to and the sisters distance themselves from each other.

But now Heather is back in Blackthorpe as their mother is dying. She reaches out to Rosie to return to the village and to see their mother before it’s too late. She’s aware that Rosie has had a troubled time in recent years and feels that they need to bring past hurts and possibly even some secrets, into the open. Little does she know that what she is about to unleash will be absolutely devastating to everyone involved.

Told from the points of view of both sisters, in both the present and the past, this is a gripping story overflowing with twists, secrets, shocking and unexpected surprises (mostly unpleasant!). Denzil cleverly ties it all together into an astounding and stunning crescendo.

The author’s focus throughout is on her plot. Readers are provided with rudimentary facts about her characters so that we can form basic opinions based on these. We never really get to know them in-depth – and truth be told, this isn’t actually vital to the plot, which is what is of major importance here. Usually, I like to be provided with fully rounded characters, but I found that here it really didn’t matter, which was quite a unique feature. Knowing about the main players and where they were in their lives right now was of no relevance, as anything of significance was based on their past.

This is a fast-paced 4-star read, and I raced to the finish, desperate to know not only what had happened, but how it had all played out! I kept jumping around in my head, trying to guess at different scenario’s. Every single one was wrong – but then, isn’t that half the fun of books like this?
OMG another small town mystery filled with twists and creepy characters. I do enjoy these kinds of settings though such books do make me fear small towns.

The story introduces us to estranged sisters, Heather and Rosie who go back home when their mother falls ill. However, the two soon find out that they are not wanted in the town. Buckthorpe is one of those towns where everyone knows everyone and their business. It seems that there are people holding grudges against the sisters and this is not the kind of place where you would like to have enemies. This is a town where secrets are buried for decades. It is also a town where people own shotguns which they are not afraid to use to ensure that the secrets remain buried.

The setting for this mystery was befitting. It helped in escalating the tension in the narrative. The hostile town with so many gun owners and crooked sheriffs had me tense wondering where the story would go.

I love how the author revealed the secrets through the chapters by peeling back layer by layer. With so many secrets, I could only guess some of them. Most made my jaw drop.

This is an entertaining, captivating, twisty read full of secrets and lies.
In this new psychological thriller, two sisters are forever altered when a boy they both know disappears one night.

Thoughts:
The book opens with a letter from Heather to her sister Rosie. A letter that tells Rosie that her sister knows what she did – that she knows Rosie is a murderer. However, Heather never actually sends that letter to her sister.

The disappearance of Samuel Murray changed everything for both sisters. Soon after high school, Rosie leaves home and rarely comes back. The once straight-A student changes and goes down a self-destructive path. She comes home for their father’s funeral and then leaves again for 5 years. However, years later their mother is now gravely ill and Heather knows she must attempt to find her sister to let her know.

Once Rosie comes home memories begin flooding back for both sisters prompting various conversations about the past. The members of the town also learn of her return and soon it becomes clear that Rosie is unwelcome. They universally blame her for the disappearance of Samuel. In fact, the town itself is very eerie – neighbors acting oddly at times, strange stories regarding certain residents within it. A town full of myths, legends, and creepy songs.

The story is mostly told from Heather’s point-of-view, whose story is from the present day perspective. Rosie’s story isn’t as frequent and shows us what has occurred in the past and how the sisters originally met the Murray family leading up to the night of the incident.

For about 70% of the book it was a nice story, but didn’t excite me. It was a fine, readable story, but that was all. Then, the ending starts to occur. As it is occurring and the excitement builds, you feel like you have a good handle on it, but then the ending begins occurring again. Not a repeat, it’s more like the ending gets more added on to it. As a result, part of me likes the ending and the drama it brought and part of me thinks there was a bit too much.

Overall, I think many will enjoy the book and especially enjoy the twists that come at the end. I myself liked it just fine, but it’s not necessarily one that will be memorable for me.

Rating: 4 stars

Thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for the advanced reader copy and opportunity to provide an honest review.
I’ve enjoyed every one of this author’s books that I’ve read but this was the best yet! Addictive, fast-paced and heart-stopping, I devoured it in just a few hours. I was never really sure what would happen next and there were so many twists it made my head spin. I love a thriller where you don’t feel sure where it’s going and feel a bit bewildered when you’re reading it and this one did both of these things while keeping me on the edge of my seat from start to finish.

Moving flawlessly between dual timelines and told by two narrators, on the surface this is a mystery about what really happened the night Samuel Murray went missing. Heather has held suspicions about her sister Rosie’s involvement since that night but has never confronted her, instead allowing it to become a wedge between them and their relationship to drift apart. While that is a huge part of this story, this is also a book with many layers that also looks at the complicated relationships between sisters, family and friends, the damage caused by addiction and the grief of losing someone you love.

The sisters each narrate a timeline so we get to know both of them pretty well. I liked that the author kept it to one sister per timeline as it created a greater sense of mystery about events in the present day as until we reached the climax we never knew what Rosie was thinking of what her involvement was the night Samuel went missing. There are numerous other characters in the story, some of whom are quite unnerving, some who seem to have an axe to grind, and all of them are well developed and well written. Of the sisters I felt most invested in the life of Heather. The author vividly conveys the agony of her complex feelings for both Rosie and Samuel and her torment over what to do for the best. While Rosie was the chaotic, troublesome child and seems to have a hard shell around herself, Heather was the good girl who always did the right thing and feels everything intensely. Not only is Heather’s world turned upside down after their mother’s death, but a lot of what she believes to be true begins to shatter when Rosie returns and she is left not knowing where to turn or what to think. Her pain was palpable and I found myself feeling everything along with her each step of the way.

Enthralling, atmospheric, suspenseful, creepy and brilliant, this book held me hostage right up until its jaw-dropping conclusion. For anyone who enjoys mysteries and psychological thrillers, Ms Denzil is an author I highly recommend and I would say that this book is a great place to start.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookoture for the chance to read and review this novel.
Another twisty, addictive thriller from Denzil! With secrets and lies, grief and trauma, the story unravels delicately and intricately at first, ramping up tension as we race to the shocking conclusion in order to find out what really happened to Samuel and if Rosie was involved the night he disappeared.

A quick, page-turning read with dual POVs that seamlessly moves from of one sister to the other, past and present, The Liar's Sister cleverly unravels the truth layer by insidious layer until it reaches its heart-throbbing conclusion.
One day I was browsing through Netgalley books in order to find a good thriller because I was really in a mood for that genre.
Out of all of the novels in that category (and may I say, it’s the most popular category there) The Liar’s Sister was the one that sounded the most appealing to me.
The cover is attractive, but the premise is what got my attention, so therefore I knew it was a winner.

My feeling was right, because not only did I like the story in the book, but I also fell in love with the atmosphere, people relationships and interactions within the story. All the secrets and mystery that were not visible at all made me appreciate this piece of fiction so, so much.

This small community, spooky atmosphere was my absolutely favourite thing about this book, and with all the creepy characters and events it really gave a life to the place, it felt like the village was it’s own character.

As a cherry on top, there is a writing style that can simply be described as high quality.
Beautiful writing is always welcomed when it comes to fiction, but to me this one really stands out.

The novel is written in first person, from Heather’s POV.

After finishing the book I found out that Sarah A. Denzil is very popular author, but somehow I haven’t heard about her before (once again, this is the proof I live under a rock). I would really want to check her other work, especially Silent Child because from others’ reviews, it seems to me that that is the most loved one.

I would recommend The Liar’s Sister to everyone who is in the mood for a good thriller.
With it’s cold atmosphere, it is a perfect pick for cold nights during October.
Wow what a read. This is the story of two sisters whose lives are changed forever when a neighbour’s son goes missing. Heather couldn’t understand what her sister did to Samuel her boyfriend who disappeared after being accused of attacking Rosie. Their lives were never the same and Rosie’s life went into self destruction as she drank to try and forget. It’s not until they both go back to their childhood home after the death of their Mother that Heather will finally find out the truth of that night all those years ago. With lots of twists and turns along the way this book will grip you until the very end.
I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.   Thank you NetGalley!

The Liar's Sister is definitely a quick, easy read.    the book is written in the the past and the present day... i like ths style honestly,   it makes it easier for me to keep interest in any story.

The characters are well-developed & easy to like.   The storyline is unique and easy to follow.     The writing is fantastic.   The author is clearly talented.
I can't wait to read more by her!
This book is about two sisters and tells their story set in the here and now and in the past. There are many lies and secrets that are uncovered. I think some parts of the book are a bit slow, mostly the parts about the past. I love the unexpected twist at the end. I didn't see that coming. I enjoyed the book.