Postcards From a War

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Cute little book.  Would not recommend.  The illustrations were good, but this book was lacking something.  I think it needed historical pictures or vintage pictures to go along with the text.
I always appreciate finding children's books about deployed parents because when I was growing up, I wanted more books to relate to. I would probably recommend this book for kids 8 and up.

"Postcards From a War" does a good job about talking about the complexities of war in general and the way that people are always hurt by war.

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
War is hard enough to understand for adults, what more for the young children that every deployed soldier has to leave behind? When his mom left for the Air Force, Matthew knew it was a necessary thing to do, even though he could hardly comprehend why his mom had to do it. This did not make him any less sad about his mom's absence either.

He would usually spend his after-school afternoons with his grandpa until his dad picked him up. And it was during one such afternoon that he found a kindred spirit in the old man.

Matthew may still not understand war, but this particularly nostalgic afternoon shared between him and his grandpa, depicted in beautiful illustrations of alternating sepias and full-color, taught him a very valuable lesson: that no stretch of land or sea can ever be greater than a love shared, valued and reciprocated across the miles. ♥
Thank you Netgalley for the early reading opportunity.

I didn't originally realize this was a children's book. This is a great story especially for students whose parents are in the military.
This is a great book about a kid who feels sad and afraid as her mom just went to war.He finds comfort in the stories of his grandfather, who saw his father sent to war. I really love the different questions that the kid asks, and the subtle ways they are answered by the grandfather. The illustrations were moving, as they included actual postcards from a the great grandfather sent to the Philippines during WWII. I haven't read a lot of children's books about war, but I know this one is a good one.
Thank you #Netgalley for the early reading opportunity. This is a great story especially for students whose parents are in the military.  Would highly recommend it for any elementary library.
For reviews of picture books, I always start with the cover,  but this cover left me feeling a little dis-connected from the content. I almost scrolled past it, until I saw the title. The cover photo is dark and does in no, was showcase the content of this fantastic book.

This book is so well written, it deals with the emotions associated with loved ones going off to fight in a war and that it is okay to feel the way you feel.
The connection between the Grandfather and the Grandson is so heart warming, it feels like such a real relationship.
I love the use of letters in this book, the visual representation of the letters from Grandpa's father makes this tale feel so much more special.

I also enjoy, at the end it tells us about the real people that the book is about. Linking us to a real family.
This is a great idea and really brings home the importance of family, especially during times of war. I only wish the book were longer with more postcards and more narration.
Postcards from a War is a really poignant, well-illustrated book based on the author's history with her dad. Her father went off to WWII and sent many postcards to her and her family. The book is based on the idea that we stay connected to our families even when they go to war, and while we may not understand war, we support our families that believe in what they are fighting for. The book is an excellent way to explain what it means for their parent to go to war to younger children and highlights that they have ways to communicate with their families. I really enjoyed this book.

This review is posted on Goodreads and Twitter. I was provided this book in exchange for my honest review.
When her father went to war, she waited at home for his return and read the postcards he sent.  He never mentioned any danger.  He even sent some illustrations to show her the camp.

VanitaBooka and Net Galley let me read this book for review (thank you).  It has been published so you can grab a copy now.

Thia is a collection of postcards the author got from her father.  My father served in the same war but I wasn't born yet so his letters were mostly love letters to my mom.  Vanita's letters are to a family and sweet in their own right.

When men go to war, you never know if they will return.  Letters keep your hope alive...
I thought the concept of this book was brilliant.
It tries to make sense of the separations within families when a parent goes off to war.
Through linking it to an earlier generation where a young family received postcards from their Daddy during World War II, we are given the story of a Grandpa sharing his memories and letters.
The grandchild is coming to terms with his Mum being away on active service. Through a shared experience they are able to speak of war, hopes and fears and a desire this generation may find less destructive means to keep peace between Nations.
Aimed at younger children caught up in absent parents away at war themselves it brings issues to the fore. It also brings home the closer and more immediate forms of modern communication for staying in touch.
Beautifully illustrated with simple words it embraces the issues of loneliness, separation and fear they might not come home.
A book that works within the relationship shown and perhaps demonstrates the value of grandparents.
3.5/5

Heart touching story of Matthew and postcards from his great grand father.
I love illustrated books, and this one touches deep situations and situations childrens/families suffer when their dear ones are gone to war.
The pace was good, and language was easy, as it involves the child who goes under situations.
I also loved, how this story shows a women going into war, unlike all the other stories seen/read where Men goes to wars.

Received a copy from NetGalley in return of an honest review.
This is such a touching story of a boy and his grandfather bonding, and so much more. After the little boys mom is deployed he is sent to stay with grandpa. Soon they are bonding over postcards from World War II. They soon decide to create a scrapbook for the postcards from the past and the letters the little boy receives now.
A sweet and touching story of family and crossing the generational divide.
I received a free ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book is a great tool to teach children about parents who have to be far away due to military service. It has a grandfather that talks about his experience with WWII. This is a great book to open up discussion. I think it will be very helpful for military children.
I love the way this book depicts the generational bond and connection between the child whose mother is deployed and the grandparent who understands what that is like. Talking together about the many feelings that children go through when their parents are deployed is a healthy way to help them cope.  My children were born after my husband's deployment but I still believe that this book would be beneficial for them because it helps them understand the many aspects of military life. I recommend this book for military and civilian families. American Heroes (and their families) should be recognized for their courageous sacrifices.
Heartwarming story of a soldier keeping in touch with his child during the war, including photographs and fantastic illustrations.  A sweet take on a difficult subject.

I received this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

5/5 stars.  I would recommend this to any military family.
First I must thank Netgalley for a digital copy of this book. I loved this book and how it helps kids to deal with their parents going off to serve our country. This follows a young boy who spends time with his grandpa while his mom has been deployed to war. His grandpa shares stories about his dad being deployed and how he received post cards from him. This book is very touching and I recommend it everyone of all ages.
A unique reflection on World War II and present day families whose loved ones are serving overseas. A young boy and his grandfather bond over similar experiences during their youth. An inter sting addition to a WWII unit as it adds the experience of an military  family's experience. The text is a bit primary for middle grades readers, but it would be a great supplemental text.
Personally, I found the book a bit heartwarming. It illustrates the anxiety of the people (in this case kids) left behind in military families and at the same time how the gap can be closed with something so simple as letters. Another things that I loved about the book is that it's inspired by the postcards and letters the author recieved from her father, Colonel Wilfred Bauknight and that the book points out the "uselessness" of war.
Good:

It discusses parents in the military. This can be a touchy subject to read as many military focus can be iffy when discussing.

The generic "parent at war" they don't write a specific war that his mother went to help with. This is good as it can relate to kids years from now with parents in a new war. Basically, allows kids to insert their experience with the military and wartime.

Discussion of emotions and showing them. The grandfather talks about how when he was a kid it wasn't acceptable to show emotions. They discuss crying and feeling upset about parents going off to war.

Easy to read fonts and ease in reading along with the story.

I love that the grandfather and grandson are bonding and able to talk about this together. They create their own memory book combining grandfather's letters from his father and grandson's mothers letters. Very sweet.

I love the balance of wanting peace and explanation in regards to war and what happens during it. The ending sentences show the grandfather is hopeful for a better time when there isn't need for war.

"Matthew," he said," if anyone can make that happen, it will be you and your friends. And you can always count on me to help you."