Postcards From a War

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Received as an electronic ARC from VanitaBooks, LLC via NetGalley.

While a little wordy in relation to the imagery, I feel like this book really captured the dialogue between a grandfather and his grandson as they discuss having parental figures who are away at war. This is definitely a difficult topic to address with children. I feel like the addition of reproductions of postcards and letters added significantly to the story and made the discussion more real and applicable to all family dynamics. While my library is not able to receive a large number of small publishing house books, I hope this title finds its way in.
This short book tells the story of Matthew who's mother went to war. His grandpa helps him to understand that: wars happen because of various reasons, that is normal to feel sad and even to cry when you miss your dear ones, to do something creative and useful while waiting for the return of loved ones from where they left.
The book is written as a dialogue between Matthew and his grandfather, and the  Matthew's questions are the questions that every child in the same situation could ask.
I think this book can be a good start for discussions about war, about dear ones that are far away, about loss of somebody very close.
Vanita Oelschlager has quickly become an author I have added to my to-read list. This was a beautiful, touching well-written book.
Postcards from a War is a graphic novel intended to inform young readers about war and the role played by those soldiers whose role is to protect others around the world. I liked the multi-generational approach of a grandfather telling his grandson about how he felt after his father left to serve in WWII. Charmingly illustrated, this book is geared to four- to eight-year-olds who have a parent currently serving in the military.

I received a copy of this novel from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
This is a great book for kids! When parent's leave for deployments it can be really hard to understand, especially when you are not talking to them every day like you are accustomed to.

The postcards that his grandfather shares with him are treasured memories, Before email and cell phones, postcards and letters would be sent back and forth, often taking a very long time to arrive. This was how communication could continue while away during a war.

We read this out loud together and my boys enjoyed the book immensely. They thought it was interesting to learn about the different ways people would keep in touch, especially as they have been through multiple deployments in our home.

Highly recommend this book!
{My thoughts} – This was a nice book about war and the impact that it can have on children. Many parents don’t realize that when they go off to war the make the children and families worry and hurt for them until the time they come back.

In this book it talks about WWII and another more present time war, but that one isn’t named. It explains the difference in traveling and communication between the two eras. It also helps to make it easier for children to understand that war may not be something that is liked but it is something that is needed.

It is also made clear that those who fight in the war have many different reasons, but mostly because they love their country. Those that love their country will ultimately want to defend it and it’s liberties and that can occur by them helping to fight in the wars.
Cute little book.  Would not recommend.  The illustrations were good, but this book was lacking something.  I think it needed historical pictures or vintage pictures to go along with the text.
I always appreciate finding children's books about deployed parents because when I was growing up, I wanted more books to relate to. I would probably recommend this book for kids 8 and up.

"Postcards From a War" does a good job about talking about the complexities of war in general and the way that people are always hurt by war.

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
War is hard enough to understand for adults, what more for the young children that every deployed soldier has to leave behind? When his mom left for the Air Force, Matthew knew it was a necessary thing to do, even though he could hardly comprehend why his mom had to do it. This did not make him any less sad about his mom's absence either.

He would usually spend his after-school afternoons with his grandpa until his dad picked him up. And it was during one such afternoon that he found a kindred spirit in the old man.

Matthew may still not understand war, but this particularly nostalgic afternoon shared between him and his grandpa, depicted in beautiful illustrations of alternating sepias and full-color, taught him a very valuable lesson: that no stretch of land or sea can ever be greater than a love shared, valued and reciprocated across the miles. ♥
Thank you Netgalley for the early reading opportunity.

I didn't originally realize this was a children's book. This is a great story especially for students whose parents are in the military.
This is a great book about a kid who feels sad and afraid as her mom just went to war.He finds comfort in the stories of his grandfather, who saw his father sent to war. I really love the different questions that the kid asks, and the subtle ways they are answered by the grandfather. The illustrations were moving, as they included actual postcards from a the great grandfather sent to the Philippines during WWII. I haven't read a lot of children's books about war, but I know this one is a good one.
Thank you #Netgalley for the early reading opportunity. This is a great story especially for students whose parents are in the military.  Would highly recommend it for any elementary library.
For reviews of picture books, I always start with the cover,  but this cover left me feeling a little dis-connected from the content. I almost scrolled past it, until I saw the title. The cover photo is dark and does in no, was showcase the content of this fantastic book.

This book is so well written, it deals with the emotions associated with loved ones going off to fight in a war and that it is okay to feel the way you feel.
The connection between the Grandfather and the Grandson is so heart warming, it feels like such a real relationship.
I love the use of letters in this book, the visual representation of the letters from Grandpa's father makes this tale feel so much more special.

I also enjoy, at the end it tells us about the real people that the book is about. Linking us to a real family.
This is a great idea and really brings home the importance of family, especially during times of war. I only wish the book were longer with more postcards and more narration.
When her father went to war, she waited at home for his return and read the postcards he sent.  He never mentioned any danger.  He even sent some illustrations to show her the camp.

VanitaBooka and Net Galley let me read this book for review (thank you).  It has been published so you can grab a copy now.

Thia is a collection of postcards the author got from her father.  My father served in the same war but I wasn't born yet so his letters were mostly love letters to my mom.  Vanita's letters are to a family and sweet in their own right.

When men go to war, you never know if they will return.  Letters keep your hope alive...
I thought the concept of this book was brilliant.
It tries to make sense of the separations within families when a parent goes off to war.
Through linking it to an earlier generation where a young family received postcards from their Daddy during World War II, we are given the story of a Grandpa sharing his memories and letters.
The grandchild is coming to terms with his Mum being away on active service. Through a shared experience they are able to speak of war, hopes and fears and a desire this generation may find less destructive means to keep peace between Nations.
Aimed at younger children caught up in absent parents away at war themselves it brings issues to the fore. It also brings home the closer and more immediate forms of modern communication for staying in touch.
Beautifully illustrated with simple words it embraces the issues of loneliness, separation and fear they might not come home.
A book that works within the relationship shown and perhaps demonstrates the value of grandparents.
3.5/5

Heart touching story of Matthew and postcards from his great grand father.
I love illustrated books, and this one touches deep situations and situations childrens/families suffer when their dear ones are gone to war.
The pace was good, and language was easy, as it involves the child who goes under situations.
I also loved, how this story shows a women going into war, unlike all the other stories seen/read where Men goes to wars.

Received a copy from NetGalley in return of an honest review.
This is such a touching story of a boy and his grandfather bonding, and so much more. After the little boys mom is deployed he is sent to stay with grandpa. Soon they are bonding over postcards from World War II. They soon decide to create a scrapbook for the postcards from the past and the letters the little boy receives now.
A sweet and touching story of family and crossing the generational divide.
I received a free ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book is a great tool to teach children about parents who have to be far away due to military service. It has a grandfather that talks about his experience with WWII. This is a great book to open up discussion. I think it will be very helpful for military children.
I love the way this book depicts the generational bond and connection between the child whose mother is deployed and the grandparent who understands what that is like. Talking together about the many feelings that children go through when their parents are deployed is a healthy way to help them cope.  My children were born after my husband's deployment but I still believe that this book would be beneficial for them because it helps them understand the many aspects of military life. I recommend this book for military and civilian families. American Heroes (and their families) should be recognized for their courageous sacrifices.