Postcards From a War

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

*thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

5 stars.
An absolutely, BEAUTIFUL, heart felt story book about family and war. This true story is about how a father went away to fight in World War 2 and while there he wrote postcards to his son, letting him know he was ok. Years later, the daughter, all grown up with children of her own has also gone away to war. Her son, Matthew, left behind and worrying about his mother gets shown the postcards his Grandpa has held onto all these years. This helps him feel a bit better and soon he gets messages back from his mother, knowing she is ok. This is beautifully written and the illustrations are stunning. I highly recommend this book to all ages, not just little kids.
Impeccably produced and illustrated. More books of this sort need to come out that humanize a soldier's life on tour of duty and the tough living and emotional conditions for the family back home - not just of U.S. but the world over. A huge viral compilation of this sort will further the cause of understanding the nature of duty, but also, peace and futility of war. Since this is the first book of its sort that I've read, it felt beautiful. The artwork / pictorials by artist Mark Blanc fit in so well with the drawings of Col. Wilfred Bauknight to his children, and it all merged in seamlessly with the story. This is definitely a collector's item.

On the downside, the fact that Philippines was already under a thirty year occupation by U.S. when WW2 broke out and U.S. soldiers needed to be sent to 'defend' what wasn't America's to begin with (it was a battle for key routes and egos between Japan and U.S.), is something that needs to be discussed by the military men and women and their families too. The world powers have always used weaker despotic ruler states as their guinea pig experimentation farms, leading to more poverty, immigration and resentment in those countries. Why should American families have to pay the price for "what this country stands for." I see the same blind spots in Pakistani armed forces' families too. They just don't want to accept that they are being made to fight useless wars for arrogant, nefarious purposes, leaving behind trails of broken limbs, usurpation of civilian lands and budgets, and a lifetime of misguided, self-serving righteousness.
This graphic novel is a great way to introduce young readers about what is war and the people who sacrifice their safety just to fight and protect like our soldiers does. This is a light read; and both young and adult readers will like how well-written the story of this book and how awesome Mike Blanc did for the illustrations.
A beautifully illustrated book.  Any amazing story about separation of loved one who are serving their country in military capacity and the families waiting for them back home.  The story covers past and present situations of a grandfather and grandson.
A nice short story about having a parent go away to war.
I felt the beginning was rushed and I didn't really get to know the character before getting into the story. It was nice to have the Matthew's mother go into war, instead of the father; it's a good gender role switch and shows children that both men and women can go and defend their country. I also like how his grandfather could relate to the boy missing his mom. The pictures are pleasing and the spacing of words and paragraphs work well with this book. It was a beautiful story with a wonderful message and a pleasure to read.
Postcards from a War by Vanita Oelschlager

In our current everyday life, war has become a “regular routine”. War and peace has been reassigned from generation to generation. We have been at war for years with no ability to see. Every day thousands of troops are being shuffled around the world in the hope of preventing destructive acceleration by those that mean countries harm. This is a great book to use in a classroom; children don't always comprehend the choices of their adults. It’s remarkable that this book looks into the causes for war, and why military families sacrifice so much to achieve freedom. Ms. Oelschlager draws upon her own familiarities when her father left his family for the duration of World War II. This book is about a young boy who is having a hard time understanding why his mother went to war. However, his grandfather has a story about when he was a young lad, his father went to war. His great great grandfather penned letters home to his family, the letters moved not only his son, but his daughter and now his great great grandson.

I highly recommend this book for all ages. As a blogger I received this book from NetGalley.Com a blogging for book company.
This book covers a difficult subject for children at an impressionable age. I know from experience that children will ask questions to further their understanding and this book goes a great distance to explain the impact of having a family member serving in the forces. What is it like when they are gone and you are left to carry on with the rest of your family? The beautiful illustrations and simple yet heartwarming prose enables readers young and old to see this experience from the eyes of a young boy. This will lend great context to subject of war and absence in the classroom.
A lovely book showcasing the difference in lives between wars and how families cope with wars. The illustrations are lovely and really add something to the book. This book could be used to support children who's family members or friends are involved in wars to allow them to see the importance of keeping in contact and how special sending letters is.
This is such a nice meaningful short story, fulfilling the motive of making it easier for children to understand why parents working in military has to go on war. How simple letters from parents on war make it lot easier for their family to bear the separation until they return home.

The story very nicely described innocent questions of child regarding war and his fears and anxiety of separation from his mother and how we adults also can’t explain why war happens and why we have to hurt people to maintain peace in the world. I liked the concept of the story. It was really different with a strong message. Idea of character combining postcards and emails, two contrast technologies, into a book was so good that I loved the story even more.

“It will be our “Love, Daddy” and “Love, Mom” book.”

Illustrations in sepia toned made it absolutely beautiful and postcards were lovely. I wish the book had more of letters and postcards. I loved reading about author, illustrators and Fisher House Foundation at the end.

This book can serve as a medium to open a discussion for children whose parents are serving in military and make it easy for both children and parents.
I recommend it to all children.
In our current everyday life, war has become the "normal." We have been at war for years with no end in sight. Every day thousands of troops are being shuffled around the globe in the hope of preventing aggressive escalation.

Having our troops out and about defending us from those who seek to do harm means that families are torn apart. Women lose their husbands. Men lose their wives. Most importantly, children lose a parent.

Children don't understand the concept and reasoning for war. What children understand is that they no longer have the same house and family that they did before. Children suffer without being able to talk to that missing parent. That parent suffers at being ripped away from their home and loved ones, and there is great stress and worry on both ends.

Postcards From A War by Vanita Oelschlager is a heart-warming tale of a young boy whose mother has been deployed overseas, causing him worry, sadness and heartbreak without complete understanding as to why his mother has been sent into a dangerous place away from home.

His grandfather sees his grandson's fear and decides to show him postcards that he himself received from his father during WWII. Such a touching tribute.

Illustrator Mike Blanc does a fantastic job of creating a beautiful and heart-warming tone to complement the delicate issues tackled within.

This 4 out of 5 stars book for me was the second children's book I have had the pleasure to review for this author. Her grasp of children's fears and worries is phenomenal. I highly recommend reading ANY children's book that she pens.

I received and ARC for and honest and unbiased review. I would like to thank Netgalley, the publisher, and the talented author Vanita Oelschlager for the opportunity to read and review this poignant children's book.
What a grey message about family, love, and how understandings of war change over time.
A great way of making children understand about the hardship of war and families split up due to parents having to go away to fight.
Lovely illustrations and a beautiful story.
Incredibly emotional and worthwhile read about war and the importance of connection. Gorgeously illustrated.
This book is a children's picture book that I would give 5 stars to. It's about a little boy whose mom is in Afghanistan, so his grandpa tells about when his dad went to WW2. As someone who had a parent in the Navy when I was little I feel like this book will help children understand what's going on! And it has awesome pictures! Definitely recommend this story! (also, sorry that the review was so short. I was trying to make sure the story was at least longer than my review ;)
Loved it.so deep and entertaining and such beautiful illustrations, keep it up.it touched me to the core
Postcards from a War is a beautifully crafted children’s book. It is filled with lovely, sober sepia-coloured illustrations, giving the book an overall old-fashioned, elegant look and feel.

It offers some very helpful material to use if you need to talk to children about their parents who’ve gone to war. How to deal with their anxiety, fear and sorrow? How to soothe them when they worry about their parents’ safety overseas? I thought the collection of letters, drawings and souvenirs was a fabulous way to try and maintain some level of family life despite the distance. It also makes for an incredible keepsake.

I am sure that children will benefit from reading this book as they won’t feel alone. They’ll know that generations after generations, lots of children like them have had to go through a similar experience, and still do.

This touching book also conveys a beautiful message about peace and the future.
I chose this book because my father was stationed in the Philippines during World War 2.  What I found was a lovely book bridging both the past and the present.  In the book, a young boy's mother has been deployed in the military and sends him postcards.  He goes to his grandfather's house after school, and his grandfather helps him understand why his mother is serving in the military.  They build a scrapbook together, and the book weaves both the current scrapbook project and the grandfather's memories from when his own father was serving in WW2 and sending postcards home.

The book is gentle and yet honest.  I loved the many styles of the illustrations.  I could see how this book would be very helpful to families with deployed parents.  And with our WW2 veterans dwindling in number, it's a beautiful tribute.

I received this book as a free eARC from the authors, publisher, and NetGalley in exchange for my unbiased review.
What if we already know a way to stop this hatred due cultural chauvinism and arbitrary Patriotism?

Persons from town different eras but influenced by the same experiences. Grandfather who's father went to World war II and his Grandson's Mother who went to some unnamed anonymous war. Illustrations are so good and provides a richer vulnerable experience. It reminds me of the anxiety of separation from parents in military families.

"All Great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: MERCY, EMPATHY, LOVE, LIFE, EVERYTHING"