Postcards From a War

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

I chose this book because my father was stationed in the Philippines during World War 2.  What I found was a lovely book bridging both the past and the present.  In the book, a young boy's mother has been deployed in the military and sends him postcards.  He goes to his grandfather's house after school, and his grandfather helps him understand why his mother is serving in the military.  They build a scrapbook together, and the book weaves both the current scrapbook project and the grandfather's memories from when his own father was serving in WW2 and sending postcards home.

The book is gentle and yet honest.  I loved the many styles of the illustrations.  I could see how this book would be very helpful to families with deployed parents.  And with our WW2 veterans dwindling in number, it's a beautiful tribute.

I received this book as a free eARC from the authors, publisher, and NetGalley in exchange for my unbiased review.
What if we already know a way to stop this hatred due cultural chauvinism and arbitrary Patriotism?

Persons from town different eras but influenced by the same experiences. Grandfather who's father went to World war II and his Grandson's Mother who went to some unnamed anonymous war. Illustrations are so good and provides a richer vulnerable experience. It reminds me of the anxiety of separation from parents in military families.

"All Great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: MERCY, EMPATHY, LOVE, LIFE, EVERYTHING"
When I first started to read this, I expected it to read as a comic without comedy. This is set during WW2 so it is a somber read but not depressing. The illustrations in this book are amazing and the story is completely relatable. This book specifically speaks to kids who's parents are serving off-shore. Yes, the demographic for this read is for children of soldiers but, adults will enjoy and appreciate this read as well. I thought it was smart and emotionally provoking to portray a child's worry, concern, and fear of the war as well as the possibility that their parent isn't returning an honest and brave thing to do. Kids need to know that what they are feeling is normal and okay and most importantly, that they are not alone.