Cover Image: A Tale of Two Daddies

A Tale of Two Daddies

...
 thanks a lot to NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read a copy of this book, to the author as well.

I gave myself a short time to be reading my other book from NetGalley that I'm still reading. I feel that I should do more reviews and enjoy more reading during my long book break periods tho. this is the book I have chosen.

The book I have read is very interesting and serves to answer the questions that many children of gay parents answer to their friends.  Many things are very close to reality. What stressed me out a bit is the amount of somewhat silly questions about which of the two was the more daddy. Well, if it's two dads, why should one of them have to play the role of the mother?
Simple, lovely illustrations, no fuss or frills story of two children in conversation about which daddy fills which needs in the child's life. Love it!
I requested and received a free temporary ebook copy from VanitaBooks, LLC via NetGalley. Thank you!
This book was very sweet and a nice acknowledgement of families with two dads (or families that differ from the traditional storyline) but I felt like it was a bit too simplistic even for a kid's book. While there is some attempt to show that the role of parents don't follow gender stereotypes, there isn't really a sense of either of the dads' personalities, instead suggesting activities that are typically gendered in households with a heterosexual couple. I like that the book tries to normalize having two parents of the same gender but I wanted a bit more.
I am having my first child this summer and am looking for more diverse children's books and books educating on LGBTQIA+ topics. I would say if you are looking for a book to start a conversation about or educate you child about sexual orientation, then this is not it. Here are the main issues I have with the book:

The art was not my thing, though that is obviously very subjective. It was cute, but seemed so clip-art like and a little out-dated in a way. Though I liked that it illustrated the story well, at least.

The entire conversation between the children on the playground was not really a fun story, just questions and answers and it seemed pretty boring to me. Why not show rather than tell kids what it's like to have two dads? Why not write a fun story about a kid living with his dads and maybe include some of the insensitive questions children might be asked about that and show how those can be addressed, but as part of a story that will be relatable and engaging for children?

Most of the questions seemed to be centered around pretty outdated role-assignments in relationships which are harmful in any case and so outdated.

I'm so sad to say I wouldn't buy or recommend this to anyone, really, because the topic is so, so important! But this book is miles away from addressing it with the needed insight and depth. I think John Oliver's Last Week Tonight actually did a better job at what this book tried to do when they made a somewhat-as-a-joke book about a rabbit and its two dads.

ARC kindly provided vis NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Sweet and wholesome book about a little girl with two fathers.  The book is a back and forth between an inquisitive new friend at the park and the little girl answering questions about her family.  It shows that two daddies are just as caring as a mom and dad.  A great book to include in a library for young children!
I am always looking for good books for kids which give representation to marginalized groups. I had high hopes for this book, but it just didn't meet expectations. There wasn't much of a story line, and despite have two same sex parents, it seemed the author was trying to force each parent into a stereotypical binary role. The writing is at a lower level than the projected age range, and this wouldn't be of any interest to the LGBTQ+ families I know or friends of LGBTQ+ families. People who aren't familiar with same sex parents probably wouldn't allow their children to read it, so I am not certain who exactly the target audience is.
"Who is your dad when you're sad and need some love?"
"Both, of course."
This was a super super cute little children's book with a super super important message! Set in a basic back and forth style of a boy asking a little girl which of her dads does what and her answers, this book helps normalize the idea that some kids have two dads and that's perfectly normal. As someone who works with kids on a regular basis, I know that books are some of the best ways to help kids understand new concepts, so I am very happy that this book has been out for eight years now! Also, side note, the illustrations are beautiful!
Ebook provided by the publisher via netgalley!
Vanita Oelschlager did it again, this time with q picture book about a little girl with two dads. Her friend asks her questions about which dad does which things for her and the answers are so wholesome and adorable. My next read is definitely the two moms one.

Thank you, NetGalley and VanitaBooks LLC, for providing me with an eARC in exchange for my honest opinion.
A book that shows us the diversity of families in today's society from the point of view of a child.
I absolutely adored this book and thought it was very cute and sweet. I loved that it shows that it doesn't matter what gender your parents are that they can love you the same. It also shows that Dads can do more than the typical "masculine" things the world likes to tell them they can do.

I think kids and parents alike can enjoy and relate to this quick kid's book.
Special thanks to NetGalley for providing a digital copy in exchange for an honest review

This was cute! I like that it shows how normal things that mommy and daddy do are the exact same things that poppa and daddy do. This shows that two fathers are just as doting and loving as one mother and one father, and I love that this is something kids can see!
This is such a cute, simplistic, and informative children’s book. It helps simplify questions that children may have. It’s very informative and helps show that even though many families are different, they are still very much the same. Plus, the art work in this book is adorable.
This is a cute little story that flows as a conversation between two children. The little boy is very curious that his friend has two daddies and keeps asking her questions about which daddy does what. And the girl’s answers are adorably honest as she shows that sometimes, one of her daddies is better at a task, sometimes, neither of them or both of them can do a chore, and for some tasks, she herself is big enough to handle them.

The book is very easy to follow for early readers as the language is very manageable. The moral of the book also comes out clearly: every family is a family no matter who comprises it, and every member of the family has a role to play. The illustrations of the book are the cutest!

I found this book heart-warming in many ways and would certainly recommend it.

Thank you, NetGalley and VanitaBooks, LLC, for the Advanced Review Copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.
Cute book for young children to help explain why not all families look the same but all families should be love. I like rhyming and the many, large pictures for children as well.
very sweet and simple. totally needed and i wish there were more of those books for children. hopefully a way to make people realise that all people can be parents!

thank you netgalley for the arc in exchange for an honest opinion.
What a charming children's book! I loved the art for this and the question format of it. If I had kids, I'd love to share this book with them!
Name of book : A Tale of Two Daddies
Author : Vanita Oelschlager
Illustrators : Kristin Blackwood & Mike Blanc
Number of pages : 42

"My Friend Lincoln says you have two dads. "
"That's right. Poppa and Daddy. "

I loved this contemporary picture book with its sweet, simple and realistic story. Through its adorable illustrations, Oelschlager educates young readers about modern family dynamics by creating a warm atmosphere of love, kindness and diversity.

The book starts with a simple conversation between a girl and a boy in the playground. The boy asks all the questions about the girl's family. The girl tells him about her two daddies (Poppa and Daddy) and how they are always there for her in different ways.

I loved the message of the book ~ a parent is neither defined by gender roles nor gender identity.
A  beautiful and important read! So refreshing to see that children can have access to stories like these, with a big lesson to learn in such a fun way. It's adorable, and I wish all children could read it!
the illustrations were adorable!
but i am afraid there were so little words in the book. like, i did not know what was going on most of the time.
but looking forward to checking the two mommies version.
Loved this. We need to normalize books like this and kids talking about their family. All family are different . The little girl embraces her family and it’s lovely.