A Tale of Two Daddies

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Does a great job of normalizing same gender parents without relegating a "mom role" and "dad role." However, it was kind of boring and repetitive, and the "clip art"-style illustrations weren't my cup of tea.
I really enjoyed the book. It was a lovely book that will help children to have an open mind. The book was absolutely adorable.
This was a cute children's book and also an informative one. I like that in this way kids got to learn more about LGBT+ community.
The rhyming scheme like in the tale of two mommies was just so much fun and it's an amazing piece of representation.
Like "A Tale of Two Mommies," this is a sweet and simple book where a child with two dads answers a curious friend about which dad does what (takes care of a skinned knee, catches frogs, bakes, etc.). Like that book, sometimes it's one parent, sometimes another, sometimes both, and sometimes the child can do those things herself. And yes, it's a rather silly thing to ask (nobody asks my kids which jobs their dad does and which ones I do), but it can show children with no experience in the topic that loving families are just like any other loving family. Like the author's other books, all proceeds go to charity, which is wonderful.
I read this with my four year old and she loved it. She told me, that's so cute! She loved it. All of her answers to the questions are mommy now because my husband passed away from brain cancer 2 months ago. I'm bisexual and we have various family members on the LGBTQ+ spectrum so I always like when books include characters with those attributes in ways that I can share with my daughter intermixed with her usual bedtime story choices. The more variety the better. The only reason I gave this book four stars is because it wasn't really a story. It was a cute string of questions and answers with great pictures, but I can't rate a book with no story five stars. My daughter gives it 5 stars though.
A Tale of Two Daddies is a terrific collection to every child's bookshelf. Children benefit from experiencing diversity in family structure and this book presents universal themes of love and caring from a daddy. For children of gay fathers, this book is particularly powerful. Early portrayals of a child's experience is extremely important in the development of confidence and identity. When a child can point to another family like theirs, strong connections to self and society are made. Well done... as well on this book's companion, A Tale of Two Mommies.
Absolutely adorable. This story shows how two daddies are more than capable of raising a child. Short. Simple. To the point. I recommend it!
After I read “A Tale of Two Mommies,” which was also written by Vanita Oelschlager, along with artwork by Mike Blanc and Kristin Blackwood, I had decided to pick up its companion book “A Tale of Two Daddies” and I enjoyed this book just as much as “A Tale of Two Mommies!”

This book is mostly about a young girl telling her friend about what kind of activities she does with her two dads and she refers to them as her poppa and daddy.  For instance, her poppa would do activities like braid her hair or build her a treehouse, while her daddy would fix her knee, be her soccer coach and make her birthday cake.

Vanita Oelschlager’s writing was just as adorable and inspiring in this book as it was in “A Tale of Two Mommies!”  When I found out that there was a companion book to “A Tale of Two Mommies,” I just had to pick this book up!  I liked the fact that there is no difference between how two mommies handle their children and how two daddies handle their children as their parenting styles are still the same no matter what.  I always loved the fact that Vanita Oelschlager always tackles the topic of same-sex parenting in a kid-friendly way and I still like the fact that the girl’s friend never questions about why the girl has two daddies, but more on what kind of activities the two daddies do with the girl.  Mike Blanc’s and Kristin Blackwood’s artwork is adorable to look at, especially of the scenes of the little girl doing various activities with her two dads.  I always find it interesting that we do not really see the dads’ faces in this book as we only see their legs and arms throughout the story.

Overall, “A Tale of Two Daddies” is a truly fantastic book about same-sex parenting that parents will enjoy reading to their children over and over again!  I would recommend this book to children ages four and up since there is nothing inappropriate in this book.
Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for this electronic review copy.

This book was really cute. I love the illustrations - though it looks like Poppa was scooping cat litter with a spatula!

This can help open up conversations with kids about people with two dads or moms.

It was also just a fun little read.
This was another great book by Vanita Oelschlager. This story follows her other book’s (A Tale of Two Mommies) format except it is a girl with two fathers instead of a boy with two mommies. The girl in the story is talking to a boy at a playground. The boy asks questions regarding the girls fathers and which father gets to help her in different everyday situations. Things like who is the dad that helps with homework or the one that cooks for her. The girl answers Daddy, Poppa, both or neither for each question. Again, the kids are shown playing while having a casual conversation about the girl’s non traditional family. The illustrations are also very cute and were enough to grab the attention of my 12 year old (definitely the target audience is for half that age but I appreciate we got to talk about the book nonetheless).
Would recommend to everyone.
"My Friend Lincoln says you have two dads."
"That's right. Poppa and Daddy."
A little girl is playing on the playground when a boy visits her...with a few questions.

He wants to know if she has two dads (she does) and what they do.
"Poppa's the one when I need braids. Daddy is there when I'm afraid."
The little girl continues to play, all the while explaining how having two dads works for her family.
"Daddy is my soccer coach. Poppa cooks me eggs and toast."
All in all, this was a short and fun book.

I adored the illustrations - they were so simple and dynamic!

I also enjoyed the simplistic language regarding such a hot-button topic. I think it would have fit a little better to have a few short sentences at the beginning.

As of now, the book progresses from: "You have two dads?" immediately to: "Which dad does this? Which one does that?"

I feel like something is needed to bridge the abrupt subject change.

Other than that, this is a sweet book that walks children through what it's like with a double-dad family. Definitely a keeper!

I received a free copy via netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
This is an adorable picture book which explains in an easy way how it is having two dads. I also think books like this can make LGBT parents more normalized.
This book was an excellent explanation of having two dads.  I think the author expressed it in great detail how important it was for the little girl to understand that both her dads are important.  It also expressed how each of the dads helped the little girl in a different way.  Also how they helped her together.  The main concept was that both dads loved the little girl beyond words and would do anything for her.
Finished copy provided by Net Galley in exchange of an honest review.
5 stars!
This little story was so heartwarming and made me so happy! We follow the conversation between a girl and her friend,during which he asks her questions about which dad was what.
It was so adorable and I’ll definitely seek to read other stories from this author! Plus, the art was amazing! (Kudos to the artist).
Obviously this book was aimed at children a lot younger than me, as it is a picture book and has very minimal writing. I read it in about 5 minutes and thought it was super cute. It was very to get through and the illustrations are adorable. I think it's an important read for children, to help illustrate to them that some people do have two dads and that's perfectly normal!
This is a fun rhyming picture book for young kids. It shows that whatever a family might look like, the important thing is that they love and take care of each other. It would be great for kids with two dads and their friends, or for any family who wants to teach their children about diversity.
A very cute and sweet book. Written very well and can be clearly understood by the intended audience.
This book was the most adorable thing that I have read in a while. To be frank I just love reading books that introduces complex topics in such a cute and innocent way. Very nicely done.
Adorable story told from the point of view of a little girl with two daddies. Either one or the other, or both, are good at all sorts of different things that parents do. It’s suxh a great message for little ones and a great way to introduce the concept of having two parents of the same gender. I especially loved the answers that weren’t one or the other of the daddies. “I’m old enough to match my own socks.” Good girl!