Christmas in Silver Springs

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 Jan 2020

Forgiveness and Starting Over at Christmas

Tobias Richardson is trying to get his life in order. He spent thirteen years in prison for shooting a boy when he was a teenager. Now he’s back in Silver Springs. He has a job and his brother’s family is supportive. Still, it’s hard because some in the town are not ready to welcome him back.

Having a meal in the local diner he sees a woman with sad eyes. Harper Devlin is spending Christmas with her sister. She’s trying to move on from the marriage she thought would be forever. She supported her rock star husband when he was struggling to get noticed. Now he’s famous and wants to walk away from Harper and their two children.

Tobias and Harper become friends and could be more, but each is struggling with a problem. Tobias is afraid he’ll lose her if he tells her about his background. She’s torn because while the divorce is almost final, her husband is now talking reconciliation.

This is a heart warming story and the Christmas season is a perfect backdrop for two people who are trying to start over. Harper is understandably torn between her husband and the relationship she’s developing with Tobias. I thought her struggle was very realistic.

I could understand Tobias not wanting to broach his past when he’s unsure of where he stands with Harper, but it felt like it went on too long. Both are excellent characters. You can’t help but wish them well. I loved the ending. It pulled the story together perfectly.

I received this book from Harlequin for this review.
Quite a sweet tale of romance between two saddened souls who found their safe harbor in each other.

Tobias had served a prison sentence due to a mistake in his teens. Harper's rock star husband wanted to divorce her. And Silver Springs was the perfect backdrop  for those hearts to meld together until the husband returned.

My first book by author Brenda Novak, I was enticed by the story line. The author certainly kept the story going in most parts. The struggles of life were well depicted. Insecurity could hit any of us. I felt really sorry for Tobias who couldn't seem to forgive himself. The divorce had certainly messed up Harper's head.

The entire story revolved around the ebb and flow of thoughts between the two main characters. The characters were broken and needed to heal themselves. The romance and love soon blossomed when they began to forgive themselves and realize a few truths.  The writing certainly evoked the emotions.

This was a story of second chances in life when forgiveness was abound. The book was a part of the series though could be read as a standalone. Overall, I would call it a sweet second chance romance.
(This review was commissioned by Harper Collins.)

Gorgeous writing? Check.

Vivid, strong (and refreshingly mature) characters? Check.

Handsome and caring leading man and decent competition for the main character's affection? Check. Check.

Christmas in Silver Springs is a sweet story of a woman, Harper, in the midst of uncoupling with her very famous husband, Axel (I ignored this to the best of my ability but in my head he was strawberry blonde, screechy, and wearing a bandanna the whole ride through this book) when she meets Tobias; Tobias of the gorgeous eyes, sweet heart, and sketchy past. Tobias who picks up on Harper's need for a friend and shows up in such a big way- right up until Axel shows up, too, wanting his family back.

Ok, so I can't say enough how endearing the town of Silver Springs, CA is or how much I enjoyed the fact that Harper is far from a damsel in distress;  she has a solid support system that cares about her and if anything, she contains, amazingly, what could be dramatic reactions to losing the man she deems repeatedly the love of her life, and broods as hard as she can when her kids aren't present which earned her my respect; and the interactions between Tobias and Harper are fantastic, charged, sweet, heady. The way romances are supposed to be- tempered by the will they or won't they push pull of Axel coming back into the picture regretful and wanting to work it out.

Sweet and loaded with heart, this is a great story for anybody who wants to read a romantic tale next to their glittering Christmas tree.
Harper is heartbroken because of the end of her marriage with pop star Axel Devlin. Willing to move on
and not letting the past spoil hers and her daughters' Christmas, she goes to her sister's house in Silver
Springs. She is not yet ready to move on but upon meeting the gentle Tobias and realizing how desirable
she is still, she decides to get involved with the mysterious man.

Tobias has spoiled his youth because of a mistake and now that he is trying to restart his life, to recognize
the pain in Harper's eyes can be very dangerous to his heart but even so he lets himself
 take for his feelings for her, even though he thinks he doesn't deserve her and that everything will end in a
blink of an eye.

Tobias has a great group of friends and  perfect brother who love him and are capable of everything for
 him and when he needs, will show how special he is and deserves a second chance.

Although the story is not quite a Christmas story, the way the writer reinforced the second chance idea
it was quite strong showing how well the Christmas spirit can touch the hardest hearts and operate
true miracles.

3,5 /5 stars
Very good romance with just a touch of suspense. Brenda Novak never disappoints. Loved the seasonal theme. Can’t wait until the next Silver Springs story!
Harper and Tobias are at best a mis-matched couple. Tobias is an ex-con and Harper the soon to be ex-wife of a rock star. That part range true. Rock stars often make very bad marriage partners. The romance was sweet but I just kept waiting for the next shoe to fall. Seems Tobias has not revealed his past. At time it seemed I was reading just to find out when it would happen.
I love this series and puts you in a Christmas mood. Ms. Novak always hits you deep in the heart.
If you haven’t started the series I suggest you do.
Small town of Silver Springs where people care about each other.
Loved it.

Thank you Netgalley for letting me read this book.
FINAL DECISION: This is a book about rebuilding. Both Tobias and Harper are starting new lives. I found their struggle emotionally satisfying although I really didn't like that Tobias kept his secret for so long. That was a bit annoying even though I understood his character's motivation. I just think that they needed more time to process the truth so I docked the book a little.

THE STORY: Tobias Richardson has just been released from prison after serving a long sentence for shooting someone when he was seventeen. Tobias is determined to turn his life around and moves to Silver Springs to be with his brother. When he spots a woman he is instantly attracted to, he notices that she seems sad and gives her a rose. Harper Devlin is on the verge of having her divorce from her rock star husband finalized. After a decade of marriage, he wants his freedom to explore his superstar life and has left Harper and their two children. But Tobias can't bear to tell Harper the truth about his past and Harper isn't sure her marriage is over which complicates the relationship these two keep wanted to explore.

OPINION: A book about forgiveness and starting over, I thought that the multitude of relationships that were about forgiveness worked tremendously well for me.

Tobias is a man literally starting his life again after spending all of his adult life in prison. While he is strong, he also has a soft heart. I loved how kind he is to Harper even when she was hurting him with her behavior. He is always concerned about her feelings even to his own detriment because he wants her to be happy. He also doesn't really feel that he deserves happiness.

This book is about layers and various types of forgiveness. Ultimately, Tobias must forgive himself in order to seize his own happiness.

Harper is having to find her own footing after her husband asked for a divorce in order to live the good life of a rock star. He'd rather sleep with groupies than spend time with his wife and children. We meet her right as her divorce is becoming finalized and her relationship with Tobias helps her find herself. Things are complicated by the tug and pull of her ex-husband who wants another chance. Harper is torn between a new relationship and keeping her family together.

I found her bouncing back and forth frustratingly realistic, but I was annoyed by her because she really was hurting Tobias with her actions.

The only part of this book that bothered me is that Tobias waits too long to tell Harper about his past. That might have been okay, but I didn't really feel like the reality of his past was confronted by these two as they get together in the end. I needed more exploration of their relationship when they are together and honest with one another. But that was a small complaint about what was overall a satisfying story.

This book has a beautiful ending which stayed with me long after I finished the book.

WORTH MENTIONING: I didn't like Atticus much after UNFORGETTABLE YOU, but he has been redeemed for me in this book. I hope we get his story soon.

CONNECTED BOOKS: CHRISTMAS IN SILVER SPRINGS is the sixth book in the Silver Springs series. It operates as a standalone although I think there is more depth to the story (involving the side characters) if the reader has read UNFORGETTABLE YOU (which is about the hero in this book's brother).

STAR RATING: I give this book 4.5 stars.
With this being the 6th book in the series and I previously not reading the others in the series this may affect my review.
Harper goes to Silver Springs with her two daughters to visit family after getting her heart broken and her marriage ending. She does have hope that they will get back together.
One day she meets this handsome stranger named Tobias. He was in prison and now that he was released, he is getting his life back on track. He has a job and his family does forgive him what had happened.
Tobias and harper have a slow burn romance, they both have there flaws but they both stood by one another through it all. It did take Harper a little longer that I would have liked to realise that Tobias was the right guy for her. I know that it must go with the flow of the story bout I would have liked it to be a little bit sooner that’s just my opinion.
All in all, I did enjoy this book, I do feel like this can be read as a standalone not having read the pervious books in the series.
I look forward to returning to Silver Springs and the newest book in the series was worth it. A good story of renewal and redemption, for Tobias and Harper. He served a 13 year prison sentence for a terrible accident that occurred when he was only 17 after experimenting with drugs, as most teens do.

Harper is spending time with her family days before her divorce becomes final. She's struggling with moving on and if it is the best option for her daughter's or can she believe her ex has changed and try sgain. After an explosive encounter between Tobias and her ex Axel, she realizes Tobias provides safety, security, and calm. BUt, Axel discovers Tobias' history and it appears all is ruined. Harper realizes Axel will never change, and Tobias at 30 is not who he was at 17.

Although part of a series, the book can be read as a standalone and I recommend that you do read it! I received a free ARC eBook from Net Galley and the publisher for my honest opinions.
Harper has come to Silver Springs with her two girls to spend Christmas with her sister and her family. She is dealing with a broken heart after her marriage has ended. She and Axle have been together since they were teens, but when he hit it big in the music business, he began cheating and has filed for divorce. Her divorce will be final in a few days and she has done everything to make it amicable for the sake of her children. She doesn't know what she is going to do, but still hopes they might work things out. When she meets a handsome stranger, who gives her a rose with no strings attached, she has not idea where it will lead. Tobias has done his time in prison and is now back in Silver Springs trying to put his life back together. He has a stable job and has his family close by. His friends and family have forgiven him for the terrible incident that sent him to prison but can Tobias forgive himself? As they run into each other a few more times, they begin to care deeply for one another, but there are so many roadblocks, will they be able to get beyond them?

This is the sixth book in the series, but the first one I have read. I had no trouble enjoying this story as a standalone and getting to know the characters. Both Harper and Tobias were flawed. They both had doubts, guilt and issues with self-esteem. The way Tobias' friends and family supported him was wonderful. They stood beside him, tried to build up his self-respect and push him to forgive himself and pursue his dreams, especially Harper. Harper also had her family trying to push her to pursue what she really wanted, even if it was Tobias, an ex-con. Harper wanted to save her family, mostly for the sake of her girls, but that was one thing that frustrated me with her character. He had treated her terribly and she was willing to go back to him and put up with his terrible cheating and treatment of her. I was happy when she finally realized that he was not the man for her. I did not know what happened in Tobias' past and was glad when it was finally revealed, and understood why he carried so much guilt. Watching Harper and Tobias fall in love, get torn apart and find their way back to one another was a wonderful story. This is not just a romance, but a story of loss, betrayal, heartbreak, friendship, guilt, forgiveness and second chances. I will try and go back and read the previous books to find out about the other characters and their stories. I recommend this one to anyone who enjoys contemporary romances, especially those with second chances and New Beginnings.

I don't really know what to say about this novel, other than I didn't connect with anything in this one. Which made me sad, as I was really looking forward to finally getting Tobias' story. I didn't find anything here original, it was like some names were changed away, and the tension was very similar to the tension in other Silver Springs novels.
Some of the problems Tobias and Elle had weren't fully resolved, but kind of just disappeared which was a bit frustrating.
I'm thrilled to be part of Harper Collins Holiday Blog Tour and to kick start the festive reviewing with Christmas in Silver Springs by Brenda Novak.

Firstly, the important bits. This book is marketed as Silver Springs #6 - however I've never read any of Brenda Novak's books before. This was definitely readable as a standalone novel - and will also inspire you to pick up other titles by this author as she's a fantastic writer. So don't let the fact that it is part of a series put you off - you'll enjoy it just the same I'm pretty sure.

It's a great romance - a brilliant mix of shady characters, frustrating ex husbands, new loves, old friendships and a little drama to add into the mix. It's festive, there's definitely Christmas spirit in there. It's a book for cosying up to the fire with on a weekend with a mug of hot chocolate. With healing, redemption, love and festivities - this book will warm your heart.

The book was published on 29th of October by MIRA - an imprint of Harlequin Enterprises/Harper Collins. It's available from Amazon in hardback, paperback, kindle and audiobook. Huge thanks to Harlequin/Harper Collins for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Tobias broke my heart. He was so amazingly patient, kind, understanding, and selfless. With his past he didn't think he deserved love or a second chance. However, when he sees Harper he sees a similar sadness in her, and can't help but try and brighten her day. He only offers friendship, not even daring to hope that someone like Harper would even give him a chance.

Harper is the wife of a rock star, well soon to be ex. Her husband seems to think he can do better, with his life on the road and many groupies to choose from being tied down is just not for him. It is not until he thinks she is moving on does he show any regret.

Harper and Tobias are drawn to each other. Tobias with his peaceful calm energy, and simple nature it makes Harper feel normal again. He still fears that when she finds out about his past, she won't accept him. So many times I just wanted to give him a virtual hug. I loved their chemistry, the moments of happiness they found, and Harper's daughters were so precious.

Tobias is a dream.  I knew from reading Unforgettable You that I would like him.  But I just fell completely head over heels in love with the man.  Now if only he could have as high of an opinion of himself that those who know him do.  Tobias has some problems with feeling “less than”. Due to his upbringing and his incarceration, it’s understandable to an extent.  Yet he’s so much better than he gives himself credit for.

Elle’s reawakening is magnificent.  She comes off as a bit of a weak pushover at first.  In a way, she has some of the same inferiority issues as Tobias.  While she knows she’s a good person and worthy of much, she doesn’t seem to feel she deserves the same accolades as her (almost) ex-husband.  Just because he is charismatic and the public at large loves the man doesn’t mean he’s any better or worthy of things than Elle.  Luckily, as this story progresses, Elle starts to see that she shouldn’t have to sacrifice her own happiness for someone else’s…no matter who that other person happens to be.

It’s so plain from the first time they meet that Elle and Tobias will be good for one another, if only they will allow themselves to let down their shields.  While Tobias doesn’t feel he is in a position to ask for more, Elle is wishy washy about what the right thing to do is for her and her kids. But it’s okay that they both have their own journeys to take in order to be together because they start to find their true worth of themselves.

On top of all that is happening with Tobias and Elle, our old pal Uriah is having his own issues with his deadbeat son back in town.  Of course, that puts Tobias’ back up and he has to keep himself in check with not only his issues with Elle but also with this jerk Carl, who doesn’t think Tobias deserves any of his dad’s kindness.

Brenda Novak, as usual, does a beautiful job weaving this story and these lives together to create a beautiful Christmas story that will break your heart and then sew it back up with love.
This was more of a steamy romance than a Christmas romance. While there was some Christmas sprinkled in, it was definitely not the front runner in this story. This was a nice love story, I skipped over the steamy scenes because it’s not really my thing. There were a lot of extra details and some holes in the story. Overall, it was a fine read but I wish it had more Christmas events and less side plot lines. 2.5⭐️
Are your looking for a book to get your into the holiday spirit!?!?  I highly recommend Christmas in Silver Spring!  If you haven’t started this fantastic series- no worries, you can absolutely jump in here!  I can guarantee once you read Christmas in Silver Springs you will be so hooked that you’ll binge the series from start to finish!  Brenda Novak is a master at creating characters that burrow their way into your heart and Harper and Tobias are the perfect example of that!  I didn’t want their story to end and I’m already looking forward to catching up with them (as supporting characters) in future installments!  I love this series and I adore Christmas so I knew putting them together would a win-win for me!  As per usual, I am looking forward to the next book in the Silver Springs series!
Wow Ms. Novak knocked this one waaay out of the park. I have read all of the Silver Springs books so far and I have to say this is the best one of course  just my opinion. We first met Tobias in  book#5 where he has been recently released from prison for shooting Atticus(his brother's wife brother).
Fast forward five months later he meets Harper the ex wife of Axle a famous rockstar. He initially suggest to her for them to be friends where he can encourage her since she's been in the dumps from her divorce. Within no time they realize they feel more for each other than just friendliness.
This storyline was not only just about romance but about individuals getting a second chance in their lives overcoming a divorce and feeling wanted and that we are all special. There were truly some cringeworthy scenes that had me closing the book and say no way! is that happening. A very well developed plot/s more than one issue was going on and it was quite titillating to see what happened next. Review on goodreads and amazon.com.
Elle is in the process of divorce from her rock star husband and with her sister with her two daughter in silver springs. Maybe a bit of TLC with her family can patch up her heart. Then she comes across Tobias. Tobias has a pretty bad history and Elle is just such a ray of sunshine for him, he knows shes too good for him but he can't help it. Now its getting to the point where it seems that they are in too deep that it could make or break their relationship.

If you love a good contemporary romance you'll like this. Unfortunately there is the small town feel which means problems for Tobias, especially since he doesn't want to break the news of his past. There is the process of the divorce and him coming sniffing around he finds out that Elle may have found someone new. Then there's the relationship between Tobias and Elle. There is plenty to enjoy and love about this book, and personally I just couldn't put it down. If you are looking for a good contemporary romance to check out Id recommend this one.
Even broken crayons still color!
When Tobias sets eyes on Elle he knows instantly there's not only an attraction but something much deeper- PAIN!
Her hurt is wearing on her sleeve so he does what most men would in this situation he sends her a 'rose' in hopes of capturing her attention.
It was a small gesture yet large in spirit and his spirit is ready to sore.
You see he knows pain all too well after serving time as an ex-con for a crime committed as a teen.
Not just any crime but one that changed many lives including that of the victim(s).
Yet, Elle has no idea what's about to open -Pandora's Box- of secrets is ready!
Love may be splendid the 2nd time but 1st you must work through the muddy mess called life.
"Ty to the EX"- should be written because if not for his shenanigans things may not have turned out the way they were meant to be.
Life always has a funny way of working out even among the chaos.
The twists and turns are off the charts when the reveal about his extent of Tobias's actions are revealed yet it's the heart that is GOLDEN!
This is the perfect Winter read!
I hope it finds you well!
Thank you to Brenda for sending me this ARC as we discussed on FB that I hadn't yet received such splendor and to the publisher for acknowledging my work.
It was an absolute pleasure to read and review.