How To Litter Train Your Cat

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 07 Sep 2019

How to Litter Train Your Cat by Peter Scottsdale is a solid introduction to both litter box basics and troubleshooting advanced issues. As Scottsdale notes, and animal welfare professionals will agree, inappropriate elimination is a leading cause of cat surrenders at shelters as well as euthanasia. The book first takes great care to explain the types of litter boxes and litter available, as well as how many you should have and where. This is important info for the new cat owner, or an owner beginning to trouble shoot potty issues. As an animal welfare professional, I felt this book hit lot of important points. There were a few suggestions that I personally felt were a little out of left field. That being said, this writer created this book from his own experience with his cats. The euthanasia rate of cats in shelters is so high that there is a great need for new ideas and insights. The vast majority of this book is based on best practices  and I feel it would be useful for both new and experienced cat owners.
A big thank you to NetGalley and Books Go Social for the ARC. I am voluntarily reviewing this book. This is a short book 77 pages. It is a very basic book about litter training. A few new ideas for me but as a cat owner I knew most of this. I think this is more for a new cat byowner.  3 stars
The subtitle fooled me a bit - my cats have been having some accidents lately, and I thought it was specifically a book about why a cat might be going outside a litter box. It does have that information, but there are a lot of other unrelated areas too. It's actually everything about litter boxes for cats though - a lot of the content would be good for people very new to having cats,  things like the types of litter boxes and cat litter that you can get and how to start with litter training a new kitten. I learned a few things in the other chapters too,  like how cats may not like scented litters (I always had my suspicions).

This ebook was provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
This book is amazing for those that have never had a cat or for those that find themselves wonder why their cat has suddenly started going outside of their box.  The advice is great, as it explains the reasoning behind each piece of advice given.  I highly recommend this for the cat lover in your life!
If your cat is having problems using the litter box, you'll find a concentration of advice here, particularly good for new cats owners. But nothing in it is beyond the sort of advice you'd get in any basic cat care book.

Combined with very pedestrian writing, it's better to buy a general book on cat care.
Short, sweet and to the point. This is a great little book, it needs to be part of any new cat adoption package.

The author sets up the situation by sharing that the largest cause of death for cats is being put to sleep and one of the biggest drivers of this are problems with the litter box.  He offers logical, accessible information and instructions how how to best set up the litter box situation for new cats, aging cats, kittens and new cats joining the home.

There is a little inconsistency in language, and the tone seems to vary from conversational to more formal vocabulary, but that is a minor observation.

I recommend sharing this with current and potential cat owners.
When it is hot as heck outside and there is nothing cool to do but reading as everything else makes you end up a sweaty mess, it is the perfect day for a speed reader.

Smelly House? Is your cat avoiding the litter box?

Do you want to stop kitty from soiling the rug, bed or wherever the feline is going? This material can help your cat by getting your furry friend back to using the litter box. By using this easy process, you too can get results.

Find the Solution - If your cat is no longer using the box, you need to find out why and then solve the problem. Sometimes the reason escapes us, as kitty won’t tell us. Consequently, you’ll need to move onto a solution and How To Litter Train Your Cat can help.

You Will Discover:
* What you need to do to get your cat using the litter box.
* The stuff you need for an attractive cat box - attractive to your feline, that is.
* What to do after a medical episode.
* The right kind of litter for you and your cat.
* How to clean soiled areas of your home so they don't smell anymore.
* Why your feline stopped using the litter box.
* Solutions to get your puss back in the box.
* How to litter train a young kitten.
* How to get a stray or feral cat to use the litter box.

Cats are magical, weird creatures -- and I used this book when it first came out in 2017 to solve a problem. My cats like to "go" outside ... if they are inside (which only happens when there is a severe cold weather warning) as I leave the balcony door open 24/7/365) there has to be a lid on the box. AND do no go anywhere near them while they are using it!

Peter Scottsdale knows cats! If you are having any problems with your litter usage this is the book to read - it makes sense and is easy to implement. Don't punish your cat for occasional mishaps --- one of mine pooped inside for the first time when I was away but I knew it was due to a massive thunderstorm that shook the building whilst I was honeymooning in Cape May!   The book is logical, smart and full of facts that will solve your kitty problems!

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "Social Influencer Millennials" on Instagram and Twitter) so let's give it 🐈 🐈 🐈 🐈 🐈
This is a very good guide to understand the Cat litter habits including orphan kittens and seniors cats: This is a most for any cat lover or a gift idea to new cat owners

#HowToLitterTrainYourCat #NetGalley
This is wonderful book on cats. It really helped me with litter box issue for my kitty.  Sometimes it can be very hard to follow the actions of kitty. This book gave me some wonderful idea's and suggestions.  I would recommend this book to other cat lovers.
MY cats are all very well behaved, but my BFF has cats with this problem, so I downloaded it to share his tips to her.  The book is very short and sweet (77 pages), and too soon to tell if they actually WORK, but he does give several different approaches, so  hopefully one or a combination will do the trick!
Amazon and Goodreads reviews.

Very nice, if rather short book. I was looking for suggestions on a particular issue I was having with my cat; but there were many interesting thoughts and solutions for all kinds of cat problems. I finally narrowed her issue down to stress and anxietybecause of the strangers in the house; but now that the remodeling is done and life is back to normal, things are getting better. I did put to use several good suggestions I found, though.