Cover Image: How To Litter Train Your Cat

How To Litter Train Your Cat

This is a short easy read that may help you discover why your cat has stopped using its litter box.  Mr. Scottsdale has written numerous books about cats, both fiction and non-fiction. This book was originally published in 2017. Some of the topics listed from the blurb include:
 What you need to do to get your cat using the litter box.
•The stuff you need for an attractive cat box - attractive to your feline, that is.
•What to do after a medical episode.
•The right kind of litter for you and your cat.
•How to clean soiled areas of your home so they don't smell anymore.
•Why your feline stopped using the litter box.
•Solutions to get your puss back in the box.
•How to litter train a young kitten.
•How to get a stray or feral cat to use the litter box.
I received a copy of this ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.
How to Litter Train Your Cat is a simple guide for new or inexperienced cat owners. The writing is basic and to the point. The tips are direct and easy to understand. Some of the ideas seem more opinion than fact, but none seem harmful. The author speaks about different litters for example, outlining pros and cons of the various types. Though much is accurate, there are some thoughts directing the reader to one type of litter over others. From my experience, the pricier litters did not necessarily make enough of a difference as the author suggests. I also volunteer at a cat shelter and they use equine pellets, which are super inexpensive and last a long time.

Overall, if someone wants help with understanding why their cat is not using the litter box, and you have been to the vet to rule out medical causes, then you just might find this book to be what the doctor ordered.
I found this handy guide on NetGalley as a Read Now several months ago, and since we’d been having long-standing problems with Johnny, our big 10 year old ragdoll, peeing on the floor, felt it was worth a go. We had tried everything (or so we thought) - different litters, more trays, all sorts of sprays, done the repeated vet check-ups, and I had concluded it was just behavioural and was resigned to daily mopping of our tiled floor. The one thing I had resisted trying was Feliway because it is SO expensive here, and just sounded like woo to me, but I was nearly desperate enough.

Before I got round to reading this, my husband solved the problem by placing the cardboard catnip-infused scratch pad, that Johnny had also peed on sometimes, into the tray. Not the cheapest option, but by drying them out and rotating them, our stroppy giant bag of fluff is mostly back to using the tray, which is a huge relief. Of course had I realised just how short and readable this book was, (it took me less than 90 minutes) I would’ve had several more options of things to try, and probably have solved our problem sooner!

Written in clear concise style, by a self-confessed cat lover whose early quote at the end of the foreword “Life is All About Cats” immediately endeared him to me, this is broken down into short, sensibly ordered chapters, starting with What You Need, and ending with How to Stop Your Dog Eating Cat Poop. (Easy, don’t get a dog. Actually he refrains from suggesting this!) He gives simple explanations for his advice, rather than being dogmatic, for example explaining why some types of litter are unsuitable, or why it’s so important to see a vet in certain circumstances.

I did have to grit my teeth against the cutesy Americanisms, like poop instead of poo, and referring to all cats as “kitty” regardless of age. The author also carefully uses both he and she: I also would never refer to a cat as “it” and “he or she” would get clumsy, but I would’ve preferred he just choose one and stick to him or her throughout. These are minor quibbles which don’t spoil the book.

I would strongly recommend this book to anyone thinking of acquiring a kitten or cat for the first time, or who is having problems with inappropriate peeing.
My thanks to NetGalley and the publisher and apologies to the author for the delay in providing this review.
Princess Fuzzypants here:  As a Maine Coon and a Princess, naturally my humans would not need the advice in this book.  Many cat parents are not so lucky.  Some kitties are more reluctant than others.  Some simply do not know any better,  Others have had some medical or other traumatic experience that created issues.  Many of these issues are the fault of humans therefore, the solutions should also be in their paws.

This book has oodles of advice on everything from choosing the right litter to positioning the box in the right place to teaching your kitty how to *clears throat* bury the evidence.  It is short, comprehensive and easy to read.  It has even made me rethink something my humans do that irks me greatly.  Maine Coons have magnificent floofs, all over and sometimes that can be a disadvantage.  My humans have me trimmed around my nether regions to prevent dingleberries.  It is invasive and rude but I now see it serves a purpose.  I will forgive them.  But don’t tell them.

I can recommend this book to newly adopted parents or to anyone having litter box issues.  Five purrs and two paws up.
How to Litter Train Your Cat by Peter Scottsdale is a solid introduction to both litter box basics and troubleshooting advanced issues. As Scottsdale notes, and animal welfare professionals will agree, inappropriate elimination is a leading cause of cat surrenders at shelters as well as euthanasia. The book first takes great care to explain the types of litter boxes and litter available, as well as how many you should have and where. This is important info for the new cat owner, or an owner beginning to trouble shoot potty issues. As an animal welfare professional, I felt this book hit lot of important points. There were a few suggestions that I personally felt were a little out of left field. That being said, this writer created this book from his own experience with his cats. The euthanasia rate of cats in shelters is so high that there is a great need for new ideas and insights. The vast majority of this book is based on best practices  and I feel it would be useful for both new and experienced cat owners.
A big thank you to NetGalley and Books Go Social for the ARC. I am voluntarily reviewing this book. This is a short book 77 pages. It is a very basic book about litter training. A few new ideas for me but as a cat owner I knew most of this. I think this is more for a new cat byowner.  3 stars
The subtitle fooled me a bit - my cats have been having some accidents lately, and I thought it was specifically a book about why a cat might be going outside a litter box. It does have that information, but there are a lot of other unrelated areas too. It's actually everything about litter boxes for cats though - a lot of the content would be good for people very new to having cats,  things like the types of litter boxes and cat litter that you can get and how to start with litter training a new kitten. I learned a few things in the other chapters too,  like how cats may not like scented litters (I always had my suspicions).

This ebook was provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
This book is amazing for those that have never had a cat or for those that find themselves wonder why their cat has suddenly started going outside of their box.  The advice is great, as it explains the reasoning behind each piece of advice given.  I highly recommend this for the cat lover in your life!
If your cat is having problems using the litter box, you'll find a concentration of advice here, particularly good for new cats owners. But nothing in it is beyond the sort of advice you'd get in any basic cat care book.

Combined with very pedestrian writing, it's better to buy a general book on cat care.
Short, sweet and to the point. This is a great little book, it needs to be part of any new cat adoption package.

The author sets up the situation by sharing that the largest cause of death for cats is being put to sleep and one of the biggest drivers of this are problems with the litter box.  He offers logical, accessible information and instructions how how to best set up the litter box situation for new cats, aging cats, kittens and new cats joining the home.

There is a little inconsistency in language, and the tone seems to vary from conversational to more formal vocabulary, but that is a minor observation.

I recommend sharing this with current and potential cat owners.
When it is hot as heck outside and there is nothing cool to do but reading as everything else makes you end up a sweaty mess, it is the perfect day for a speed reader.

Smelly House? Is your cat avoiding the litter box?

Do you want to stop kitty from soiling the rug, bed or wherever the feline is going? This material can help your cat by getting your furry friend back to using the litter box. By using this easy process, you too can get results.

Find the Solution - If your cat is no longer using the box, you need to find out why and then solve the problem. Sometimes the reason escapes us, as kitty won’t tell us. Consequently, you’ll need to move onto a solution and How To Litter Train Your Cat can help.

You Will Discover:
* What you need to do to get your cat using the litter box.
* The stuff you need for an attractive cat box - attractive to your feline, that is.
* What to do after a medical episode.
* The right kind of litter for you and your cat.
* How to clean soiled areas of your home so they don't smell anymore.
* Why your feline stopped using the litter box.
* Solutions to get your puss back in the box.
* How to litter train a young kitten.
* How to get a stray or feral cat to use the litter box.

Cats are magical, weird creatures -- and I used this book when it first came out in 2017 to solve a problem. My cats like to "go" outside ... if they are inside (which only happens when there is a severe cold weather warning) as I leave the balcony door open 24/7/365) there has to be a lid on the box. AND do no go anywhere near them while they are using it!

Peter Scottsdale knows cats! If you are having any problems with your litter usage this is the book to read - it makes sense and is easy to implement. Don't punish your cat for occasional mishaps --- one of mine pooped inside for the first time when I was away but I knew it was due to a massive thunderstorm that shook the building whilst I was honeymooning in Cape May!   The book is logical, smart and full of facts that will solve your kitty problems!

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "Social Influencer Millennials" on Instagram and Twitter) so let's give it 🐈 🐈 🐈 🐈 🐈
This is a very good guide to understand the Cat litter habits including orphan kittens and seniors cats: This is a most for any cat lover or a gift idea to new cat owners

#HowToLitterTrainYourCat #NetGalley
This is wonderful book on cats. It really helped me with litter box issue for my kitty.  Sometimes it can be very hard to follow the actions of kitty. This book gave me some wonderful idea's and suggestions.  I would recommend this book to other cat lovers.
MY cats are all very well behaved, but my BFF has cats with this problem, so I downloaded it to share his tips to her.  The book is very short and sweet (77 pages), and too soon to tell if they actually WORK, but he does give several different approaches, so  hopefully one or a combination will do the trick!
Amazon and Goodreads reviews.

Very nice, if rather short book. I was looking for suggestions on a particular issue I was having with my cat; but there were many interesting thoughts and solutions for all kinds of cat problems. I finally narrowed her issue down to stress and anxietybecause of the strangers in the house; but now that the remodeling is done and life is back to normal, things are getting better. I did put to use several good suggestions I found, though.