Cover Image: A Witch in Time

A Witch in Time

‘#A Witch in Time by Author #Constance Sayers is her Debut novel that is very riveting, original and
fresh. This is a story of magical, loves lost through time and a curse. From Paris 1890 to Los Angeles
in the seventies as a rock star this Historical fiction is so appealing.
#Netgalley, #Constance Sayers, and #Redhook Books
I thought this was a very interesting novel. I thought the plot was unique that starts with Helen who is starting to have flash backs to previous lives. Juliet was the first who was in love with The Merchant and her mother who was a witch and she put a curse where it binds merchant and Juliet. After Juliet dies in the late 1890s then comes Nora in 1930s Hollywood and the Sharon from 1970s. With all of the lives there is a protector, a demon named Luke and with each life he is there to help and guide. During Helen's life she learns not only about all of her past life, but how the curse works and maybe just maybe she can finally do something.
A Witch in Time is a historical novel, love story, and mystery all rolled into one. The intertwining of the characters throughout the time periods and the connections between them creates an interesting and engaging exploration of what it means to love and the power of the soul.  I loved how the story progressed with each version of the main character, and that each incarnation was a whole person as well as a part of a whole. I do wish that there was a little more introduction of each woman throughout the book, as by the time we got toward the end and met the last incarnation, I had a momentary struggle to psych myself up to meet an entirely new person. However, this hesitation only lasted about 10 pages until I was fully engrossed again. I very much enjoyed this novel and look forward to more works by this author.
I put Constance Sayers’ A Witch in Time aside as a DNF the first time I picked it up. Helen Lambert bored me to tears, and I cared so little about her love life that I could not push through the beginning of chapter three. I had no intention of returning to the book, but I left it on my kindle and ended up cracking it open on the heels of a heavy nonfiction, thinking it would serve as a mindless transitional read. You know, something to pass the time as I looked for something I could lose myself in.

My second attempt started much like my first, but I pushed through and found some traction in chapter four when the story transitioned to Juliet in 1895. Juliet is, admittedly, not my favorite character in the novel, but I liked the L'Inconnue de la Seine vibe of her storyline and found the relationships she shares with her mother and guardian more than a little intriguing.

I know playing favorites is dangerous, but I fell hard for Nora in the 1930s. I love Hollywood history and while I cannot speak to Sayers’ inspiration, I delighted in noting parallels between Nora’s story and the lives of Billy Wilkerson, William Desmond Taylor, and Natalie Wood. I had been half-hooked by Juliet's story, but I was utterly swept away by Nora's.

Sandra, in the 1970s, was the most challenging protagonist for me to read. I flat out resented her for not being Nora, and while that initially frustrated me, I grew to appreciate how my reaction to Sandra mirrored the themes of her storyline. I also liked the intensity of these chapters and how the course of Sandra’s experience illustrated the curse to which she was bound.

I do not know if Sayers reads reviews for her books, but on the off-chance she stumbles across mine, I would like her to know I enjoyed this particular serving of crow. I tossed A Witch in Time aside on what I still feel its weakest points, but my second pass proved I dismissed the novel too soon. Sayers' historical cast and their experiences have haunted my imagination for weeks, and I am grateful for the stupid assumption that prompted me to give it another chance as the story proved well-worth my time and attention.
As a thank, you to Netgalley and the publisher Redhook for a copy of Constance Sayer’s “ A Witch in Time” I write this review. As a debut novel about doomed love, reincarnation, and the power of fate this novel certainly did not disappoint. Throughout the novel, you are taken to three different eras 1890’s Paris, 1930’s Hollywood, and 1970’s Los Angeles. Through many lifetimes we are shown the tangled lives of a muse and artist whose doomed love affair started over 100 years in the making. Once Helen Lambert a witch in Present-day Washington D.C. learns of her past lives does the novel set in motion a countdown in which she will die on her birthday. As each reincarnation of women live and dies are we have shown the final years of her life and the circumstances around her death that play out due to the curse placed on her years ago. The novel's tone was clear, concise, and assessable. The plot did not feel rushed but believable given the circumstances of the novels. I enjoyed this novel and felt invested with its characters. Out of five stars on GoodReads, I give this novel a high four-star rating. I recommend this to fans of Outlander by Diana Gabaldon and A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness.
3.5 stars rounded down

Recommended especially for fans of “Fallen” by Lauren Kate.

“A Witch in Time” is the story of lovers doomed by the mistakes of a well-meaning mother scarred by her own past.

Trigger warnings: adulterous sex with a “willing” minor, rape and urination on the rape victim, unwilling prostitution, suicide, domestic assault, and graphic gore.

The novel progresses across four separate timelines: Juliet, the artist’s muse in 1895; Nora, the streetwise and scrappy actress in Hollywood’s Golden Age; Sandra, a young and hip keyboardist for an up-and-coming rock band in the 1960s; and Helen, a boring and uninteresting character who mostly sleeps during her 2012 interludes or whines about her ex-husband’s hot girlfriend.

Each iteration of Juliet is unique and has interesting-ish life experiences, with Juliet and Nora’s sections being the most engaging. The way that Juliet and Marchant are pulled toward each other and certain careers was enjoyable and kept my interest, barring Sandra and especially Helen’s sections.

The main problem with the novel is the poor writing. Any time an iteration of Juliet has clothes on, there is at least a solid page dedicated to explaining exactly what it looks like and how much she loves her outfit. I don’t care.

There’s also a problematic and poorly explained secondary love interest whose initial interactions during Juliet’s lifespan both don’t make sense and don’t track with what happens afterward. He seemed one dimensional, and I never believed in the attraction between these two characters.

The actual blood magic sequence to initiate the curse was fascinating and very engaging. I’m sad this wasn’t an ongoing thing, and that later blood magic incidents were boring and short.

Overall, the novel felt unbalanced but had redeeming moments, and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it to fans of “Fallen” in particular.

I received a free copy  through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
A Witch in Time was a perfect escape read for me. It has all of the things I love in a novel: historical fiction, a bit of romance, multiple timelines, and solid writing, with the added bonus of some paranormal magic.

Helen is a present-day magazine exec in Washington DC who begins to remember her past lives (and loves), beginning when she was a young woman in 1895 France. As Juliet, she was the young muse and lover of an older, married Parisian artist. When her mother—a witch—attempts to curse the artist, she botches the spell and ends up binding Juliet to the artist for all time, dooming her to relive their failed affair and die tragically young through history. Luke Varner is a minor demon who is assigned to maintain the curse and look after Juliet, and he’s been helplessly in love with her in each of her reincarnations. Juliet/Helen is a witch herself, and has gotten stronger with each life, and Helen struggles to find a way to stop the curse forever before she runs out of time again.

I was completely absorbed in the story and adored the main character in all of her incarnations. As Helen remembers each of her 3 past lives, we get an interesting trip through time and around the world. The romance is nicely crafted, and I was very much invested in the characters. I love the way the story is structured and the pacing is great. The ending did feel a bit rushed, but the epilogue went a long way to redeem it. Overall, an excellent story.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️1/2
This is a very dark novel that packs a punch. For a debut novel I have nothing but praise. The concept of a woman who has been cursed to relive a tragic love life. The characters have strength and are believable in this fantasy book. One of the things I liked most was that even though the story was relived in each woman’s life you didn’t know the ending.
With all the covid-19 news, I have been struggling to read. I picked up A Witch in Time and devoured the majority of the book in one long sitting! This is the deeply intriguing story of a doomed love story cursed to repeat time and time again. Reminiscent of The Time Traveler’s Wife with a bit of The Mayfair Witches series mixed in. Constance Sayers has written a brilliant debut!
I love books about witches, so how come this one did jot do much for me???
Disappointed a little in this one. I am sorry.
Great concept and enjoyed the dual timelines. Overall I say three stars. It was a little hard to get through for me. Some of the scenes were lengthy and dragged a little bit.
Thanks to NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review.
I received a digital ARC from Netgalley for an honest review.

I have to admit, I was afraid that this book was going to be a bit to witchcrafty for me. I do like a good supernatural or time-travel story, but sometimes they can go a bit off the rails. BUT, Ms. Sayers did a perfect job in my opinion. “A Witch in Time” has just enough of the above to give depth and meaning to the characters without overpowering the storyline or making it comical.

The plot was interesting, and I believe someone else mentioned it reminded her of “The Time Traveler’s Wife”. It does, a bit. This story centers around Juliet/Norma/Sandra/Helen across 4 lifetimes. Without retelling the story, she’s caught in a curse and must relive her life over and has the same doomed relationship again and again. The quirk with her, however, is that she begins to remember her past lives, through dreams. The third person in this story is her “administrator”, basically her handler, who watches out for her. Their relationship through these lives is another storyline. She doesn’t realize she’s a witch or in a curse until her 4th life, so the story is not encumbered with a lot of magic, so if that’s what you are looking for, this might not be the book for you.

I enjoy the back and forth between timelines. I found Helen (I’ll stick with her last incarnation as that’s who starts the narrative), likeable, and I wanted to find out what was happening to her. Her stories were intriguing and I couldn’t put the book down. I’ll never react to my feelings of de Ja vue the same again!

Thank you to the publishers for giving me the opportunity to preview this book, and thank you to Ms. Sayers for writing such a wonderful story!
This book should have been an amazing story however, it ended up being a let down.  The story was choppy and I really disliked the characters all together.  The romance didn't feel right and the ending was just blah.  This one just was not for me at all.
A Witch in Time is a mysteriously haunting story of doomed, enduring love. An intriguingly mesmerizing and thrilling story! The characters are vivid, well-written, and full of mystery. The perfect combination for a truly remarkable read. A Witch in Time was a fast-paced read that I did not want to put down.
Intriguing storyline BUT it dragged at points, was confusing at times and sometimes went too fast so you couldn't keep up. It's a meh read. The type book you would find in a dollar store.
This unfortunately is going to be a big no for me and it makes me incredibly sad.

The romance.

That's my biggest issue. We're following a woman who has to suffer a doomed love affair. It's part of the whole plot which I expected. What I did expect was to find myself reading a particular sex scene involving a 15 year old and a man in his 30's. It was too much for me and yes, this is why her mother curses her because of the disgusting relationship and yes, that specific timeline does take place in the 1800's which was common back then but I have ZERO sympathy for this couple who have to fall in love every time the main character dies tragically in each life she has. I hope others find the moral within this story because honestly, the writing is LUSH. It's very well-written. I just wish I could look past what made me feel uncomfortable.
this was not really my kind of book. it dragged in some places and was too quick in others. I tried so hard to like this but it wasn't able to get there.
4.5 stars.

A Witch in Time is an interesting mash up of genres, with historical fiction, some romance, and some paranormal scifi. A little Moulin Rouge, a little Daisy Jones & the Six, and just a dang good time to read.

This was so much fun! A super intriguing premise with ridiculously rich historical detail. I loved the story and enjoyed the movement from time period to time period. Sayers's ability to set a scene is just plain magical. In addition, the construction of the plot with the use of dreams and flashbacks could have been corny, but it is so well done and super effective.

For some readers, the story may seem mildly contrived in places, but I DIDN'T CARE. I was totally here for ALL of it.
I received a free digital copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Can we talk about how absolutely stunning this cover is? It is breath-taking! This story has such a great and dark plot. I love the time period it was written in. There are a few trigger warnings. Be aware of that! Overall, it was a great story and I loved it!

Thank you to the author, the publisher, and NetGalley for this review copy.