The Amish Wedding Promise

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 09 Dec 2019

An Amish Wedding Promise is a very good story.  I liked the characters and the plot. I savored every word.   I found it the right mix of humor and drama.  I enjoyed this book very much and recommend it.
Goodness, this book went in a way I never expected and kept me reading to see what would happen to who next.

Author Laura Hilton’s story is a great balance of humor and seriousness. It never felt like a light fluffy book, nor did it stay heavy for long, even though some difficult topics were discussed. The characters were very well written and life like, and I really enjoyed getting to know them.

Heartwarming, with lots of brothers and wedding food, I highly recommend it!

I received a complimentary copy of this book but was not required to leave a review.
The Amish Wedding Promise was a different kind of story for Laura Hilton, yet it was one I definitely enjoyed and found myself picking up again.  And as always happens, when I re-read a novel, I pick up aspects I previously missed. Her characters were extremely well-developed, and Grace, her sister Patience, Zeke, and Grace's grandfather stood out as my favorites.  Zeke's patience and kindness with Patience, who has Down Syndrome, are extremely touching.  My heart really went out to Grace as she experienced the confusion of searching for her fiancé after the devastating tornado, and the pain of knowing he was not trying to check on her instead.
Laura Hilton always weaves a skillful and beautiful story and The Amish Wedding Promise was no exception.  I do recommend this highly.
Levi Bontrager is a disappointment to his father, who wasted no opportunities to let Levi know.  When a tornado rips through another town, Levi volunteers to go with the Mennonite missionary to help with the restoration of the town.  The last thing his father said to him was something like, "Don't be a disappointment to me."

Grace Lantz is engaged to be married, although she is having significant doubts about her fiance and about the marriage itself.  The day after the tornado, Tim, the fiance, didn't come to check on her to see how she fared and that was just one more doubt about the relationship.

When Levi arrives, he is assigned to stay with the Lantz family.  What he doesn't anticipate is being assigned to room with his cousin who doesn't like him at all.  The cousin has been reporting Levi's behavior back to Levi's father.

Grace finds her friendship with Levi growing, in spite of the constraints put on Levi for being a member of the restoration group.  Grace's father still asks Levi to escort Grace around to check on various people, especially her fiance.

Laura V Hilton writes well researched Amish fiction and her stories are tremendously fun to read.  The Amish Wedding Promise is just as fun to read and what's more, it's the beginning of a new series. I can't wait to see who comes next in the series.

Five Stars, Two Thumbs Up, and a conspiring grandfather to help smooth out the path of love.

My thanks to Grand Central Publishing and NetGalley.com for the opportunity to read and review this book.
Living in the shadow of his "perfect" cousin, Vernon, who stole his job and his girl, Zeke felt insignificant and as if his daed was disappointed in him. When the two traveled to Illinois to help the community there recover from tornadoes, he was optimistic about becoming a hero. Yet Vernon was the one to find the missing cows and Zeke was simply given the task of trying to find Gracie's missing fiancé.

I really cared about Zeke and loved the way he interacted with people and animals with such kindness. He had a humility born from his hurts, which showed in all he did. And even when he had a valid reason for blowing up and yelling, he showed kindness and allowed the Lord to work on his behalf instead.

Gracie had spent so many years of her life walking on eggshells to not upset her younger "special needs" sister, Patience, that she held everything inside. Whether she became a people pleaser because of that, or whether she already was, she was so afraid of disappointing others that she felt like she couldn't speak her mind. I was able to relate to her quite well! She was always putting others' needs before her own and needed someone like Zeke to care about her! When her family continued to tell her that her doubts about marrying were just cold feet, she faulted herself for struggling with this.

There was so much I enjoyed about this story. The balance of lighter and heavier matters was perfect. It wasn't so serious to make me sad and the humor was used appropriately and had me laughing often. I loved the punny names of Gracie's family's animals and wanted to hug her grossdaadi! Oh, and Patience was so precious I wanted to take her home with me.

I appreciated how well the author took the theme of Jesus calming the storm and wove it through the story. The lessons Zeke and Gracie learned through that were apt and helpful for all believers to learn and remember. And, as in all her stories, the message of salvation was clearly taught and incorporated in a very natural and engaging manner.

While dealing with domestic and substance abuse was necessary to the story, it was very subtle and handled very tactfully.

I highly recommend this story of hope to all readers who enjoy fiction that both challenges them and makes them laugh.
The Amish Wedding Promise by Laura V. Hilton is the first novel in the Hidden Springs series.  I enjoyed this charming story that contained some wonderful life lessons.  Grace Lantz was to be married the day twisters tore through leaving devastation in its wake.  Truth be told, Grace is relieved which makes her feel guilty.  Zeke Bontrager feels that he can do nothing right in the eyes of his father.  He is hoping his time in Hidden Springs, Illinois will allow him to be a hero instead of a failure.   I found Grace and Zeke to be developed and relatable characters.  They both have issues that are bothering them and, while the tornado was a terrible event, it turns out to be a blessing.  There are delightful characters in this story that include Grace’s pun loving grandfather, Grace’s special needs sister, Patience and Slush, the family’s Siberian Husky.  I just loved how Slush communicated and expressed emotion.  It is wonderful that people volunteer to assist others in need.  We see how much that help is needed and appreciated.  It was wonderful to see the community come together and help each other.  It is a shame that this kindness is not present in all areas around the world.  Patience is a young lady with special needs, and it was wonderful to see how patient as well as kind her family is with her as well as Zeke.  I especially loved how the characters prayed.  There were open about their faith and prayer.  Lessons about guilt, forgiveness, standing up for ourselves, gossip, and perception are present.  The romance was sweet, and I like how it bloomed.  The intimacy extends to a kiss or two but that is it.  My favorite phrase from the story was when Grace said, “Chocolate can solve the world’s problems”.   There is plenty of humor as well that includes farm animals with witty names.  The Amish Wedding Promise is a heartwarming story with a maltreated mailbox, superfluity of sandwiches, impatient Patience, twelve protective brothers, and a groom gone astray.
I really loved this book!  I've read lots of Amish fiction; this one was great.  It kept my interest and had some humorous moments as well as some "spicier" moments.. I had a hard time putting it down!  Just the kind of read I needed in this busy Christmas season.
Laura V. Hilton is a new-to-me author.  The Amish Wedding Promise is the first of her books I have read, but it will not be my last.  Laura writes a very interesting story from the beginning to the end.  You really do not want to put the book down.

This book shows how God can take a storm in your life and use it for good.

Grace's wedding day had turned into total Upheaval since the tornado had ripped through their town taking their barn and all the wedding benches with it along with her groom and two of his friends with it.  Was Timothy alive somewhere hurt?  Did she really want him found since she wasn't even sure she wanted to marry him today anyway?

Zeke Bontrager, his friend, Kiah, and other men from his community left their community in another state to help the tornado victims.  There was to be absolutely no dating among the community and the workers.  For some strange reason, Zeke was assigned to the Seth Lantz family.  This just happens to be Grace's family.

After Zeke was assigned to help Grace find Timothy.  This began their great adventure toward each other.

Would Timothy come back?  Would Grace find happiness?  What about Zeke?

Don't miss this wonderful story.

I was given an ARC by the publisher/author through Netgalley for my honest review.
As I start this review, let me say this:  I very much enjoyed reading this story.  Laura V. Hilton has written another excellent Amish romance that has touches of humor, tragedy, romance, and suspense. And yes, even though they don’t seem to go together, all those things do work together well in this storyline.  I always love a book that has an unusual plot, and this one certainly has that.

But that’s what makes writing this review a little bit tricky, because there’s a couple of twists in this story that I don’t want to describe, as it will take  away from the book as you read it.  There’s a couple of different storylines that twist together and all the details fall into place at the end.  I will tell you this:  It does involve a tornado and an Amish wedding and the way life changes in this Amish community from that point, especially for especially for Grace Lantz, as it involves her wedding day.  I loved her character.  She’s kind, loyal, and deeply loves her family.  In fact, as I read this book, I came to love the whole Lantz family.  Daddi Cliff was another favorite character, too.

And that’s about all I want to tell you.  When you read the book, you’ll understand my lack of detail in this review.  If you love Amish fiction, you’ll enjoy this one.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher.  All opinions are my own.
This author never disappoints me with her stories.  I enjoyed reading about Grace and Zeke.  I love when she adds the Amish children that have special needs in the story.  I loved reading about how other people come to different areas to help out after a bad tornado hit.  Both main characters had to work through some doubts about themselves.  I received a copy of this book from Netgalley for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will.
I like this story it was cute and down to earth. I did however feel like parts of the story did drag on. Without giving much away I wish the main subject or at least it felt like the main subject would have been handled a lot sooner in the book and the secondary situation would have played out sooner so there could be more of that story and less of the other. I loved Zach he felt like wasn’t good enough but he always seemed to keep his head up and keep fighting for what was right. I was not a huge fan of Vernon and I wish we found out more about Jon. I liked Grace a lot to she was reckless, fun, independent and reliable and you could totally feel like you could be friends with her. This book was a good clean read and fun to boot. You can’t go wrong.
Looking at the cover of this book is a compelling reason to pick it up, and also, I love reads by this author.
We are given a story of a young woman, and the book begins on the day of her wedding, and she is having cold feet, wishes she the day weren’t here, and no, she does not have power to control the weather, but a devastating tornado hits Arthur Illinois, and thus help comes from all over, including an Amish community in Indiana.
We also get to meet the new arrivals, and especially Zeke, and with a history of his Dad being unhappy with him, he is out to prove himself, or at least stay out of trouble.
When sparks fly between Grace, the bride, and Zeke, they know it can never happen, and with death and destruction all over here, there are a lot of pressing problems.
Love the wise Grandfather, and the sweet special sister, Patience, and then more disasters happen, more focus is put on loved ones, and we see the love of God and the message of Forgiveness.
A don’t miss read that will keep you page-turning!

I received this book through the Publisher Forever, and was not required to give a positive review.
A beautiful story that begins with a tornado and chronicles its destruction to homes and families.  It also derails an intended marriage between two Amish members, the intended bride having what everyone told her was “cold feet”.  In the aftermath of the storm the bridegroom has disappeared, the bride still having doubts wondering where he is, why he has not checked on her and knowing the doubts are not cold feet.

Help quickly comes from both Mennonite and Amish communities.  The rule of no fraternization is absolute yet a growing attachment between a young Amish relief worker and the intended bride is evident as each of them fight this growing attraction.

As the story unfolds we find out that Timothy, the bridegroom is acting out a role to his intended, his and her family and their friends and community.  He leads another life kept hidden from everyone.

What is more the young Amish relief worker is making a favorable impression on the local Amish Community.  He does every chore asked of him without complaint even if said chore seems a menial one.  In other words, he makes himself useful as a relief person should, never taking on airs or ridiculing the work given.  He is the antithesis of the bridegroom and the intended brides family is well aware of this and likes him as they have not the bridegroom.

I hesitate to divulge more as I do not wish to spoil the story, its unfolding dramas or the ending.  I will say I approve of the methods used, of the family’s ways and actions and how always at the center of everything was their absolute faith in God or as they term Him, Gott.

I felt humbled to read this testimony to the unfailing and absolute trust that always His hand held them all and that His Will prevailed.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Grand Central Publishing through NetGalley. All opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.
The Amish Wedding Promise
A beautifully written inspirational romance.  Great plot and well developed characters.
I received an arc from the publisher and Netgalley and this is my unbiased review.
It's her wedding day and she has cold feet.  Everyone says it's "normal".  Grace always dreamt of her wonderful wedding day but she's not feeling right about it.  She prays that God will stop the marriage and is her prayer answered in a shocking way as a horrible tornado appears and all signs of her fiance are that he did not survive.

As Zeke comes from Shipshewana to help those who experienced the tornado, he tries to help Grace find her fiance.  His feelings for her are strong.

This was a wonderful story!  I loved it.  It had a really different storyline and I had to keep reading to see the outcome!  What is going to happen????  So good!  You will love book 1 of this new series!  I know I did!
Gracie was to be married today.....BUT, a tornado came to their farm and community and the wedding had to be postponed due to the devastation. Gracie wasn't really sure about her marrying her fiance.....she was having what her mother called "cold feet", but what Gracie felt was a sign from God, since she asked God to stop the wedding!! She just didn't think it would be with a tornado!!! Zeke had his own problems....his father felt he had a lot of maturing to do and sent him to the tornado area, to help with whatever was needed. And needed he was!! Gracie had a special needs sister who adored Zeke and the feeling became mutual between them. Go on the journey of trying to find Gracie's fiance, rescuing victims, helping restore the community and along the way finding their true souls. A great book, that I read in an evening and am left looking forward to the next in this series!! Sit back, light a candle, get a warm drink and enjoy every page!!
I loved this book so much that I finished in a few hours after everyone went to bed. That is my favorite time to read. When all is quiet.
Laura V. Hilton is a must read author. I"ve followed her for quite a while now and I try to never miss any of her books. I wasn't disappointed by this wonderful book.
It has all new characters and a wonderful plot with wonderful messages. One example is and this story revolves around a verse in the Bible about Jesus calming the storm. I think that this is my favorite Laura book ever because that Jesus called Peter to come to HIm and when Peter took his eyes off of Jesus he cried, " Lord save me!' Jesus reached down and pulled Peter out of the water. I should have written that verse down in my journal but I thought my kindle would save it but it didn't. Never trust technology!
Here's one of the quotes from a missionary that came to help a town in trouble.
Amish and English alike we all need to be saved.
 He said" I agree with the missionaries someone said" Salvation is not so widely preached among the Amish, but it's a fact. We need Gott, He's calling for us to come to HIm. " There's this Gott sized hole in each of us that no one can deny, if they are honest." Gracie's grossdaadi was murmmering to himself after he hear some Amish fella saying that he didn't need to worry about salvation." I heartily disagree with that. We all need salvation even the Amish. For they are Gott's people too.
I liked Gracie. I kind of felt sorry for her because when any kind of disaster strikes we can lose everything in an instant. I thought she was a very brave young woman. I loved her quiet strength especially with her special needs sister Patience. Not many people would tolerate someone like that.
I thought Patience ended up being a pretty cool gal.  I like to think that she was Gracie's guardian angel.
It's funny how involved you can get in a book especially one that you enjoy and an author you really love.
This lady can make me forget about sleep for sure and a few other things along the way!! When I get into one of her  books I don't like to be disturbed. I have to stay alert because I don't want to miss any action that might happen!! Well done with this story!
Wonderful plot and great character building as well.! I hated to say goodbye to Gracie, Zeke, Patience and yes even Sam and Charlie. Oh and we can't forget Sludge the most expressive dog I've ever known!! lol!
I highly recommend this author!! I'm looking forward to what she might come out with next!!!
I love it that we can never guess what God has in store for us!!
My thanks to Netgalley for a complimentary of this wonderful book. NO compensations were received and all opinions are my own.
The Amish Wedding Promise is a well written story of a young lady, Gracie, who is to be married to her beau Timothy, when a tornado rips through the community and puts everything on hold. Gracie, who had her doubts for some time now is worried because Timothy hasn't been found. Volunteer, Zeke,promises to help her find him, but he begins having feelings for her as they search. She begins having feelings for Zeke that she has never felt for Timothy, but things are very complicated until a young man, James appears, who looks very much like Timothy, but doesn't act like him. Several complications arise that they must deal with, but Gracie and Zeke work through them to their happy ending. Great story that is fun to read!
This is a very well written book that holds your attention. It's a beautiful story about following your heart instead of pleasing other people. It is full of emotions and keeps you turning the pages to see what happens next. I really enjoyed reading this heartwarming book. Thank you Forever (Grand Central Publishing)   Forever via NetGalley for the ARC copy of this book. All opinions expressed are my own.
Postponing her wedding due to terrible storms, a young woman is given time to make different life decisions. She wants to please her family yet her heart belongs elsewhere. A story of love, devotion and finding the right path can be found in this heartwarming story. I received a complimentary copy of the book. No review was required.