Cover Image: Traces of Her

General Fiction (Adult)
  Mystery & Thrillers
Pub Date 25 Oct 2019

I am reviewing a copy of Traces of Her through HQ Digital and  Netgalley:

After Roses flighty stepsister disappears in Cornwall, Rose finds herself rolling her eyes.  Willow is always either taking off or dealing with an emergency.

After Willow discovers age was adopted, and learns that her birth Mother died under tragic circumstances.  When she makes a trip to the coast it sparks a search into her past, so she could learn about her birth mother.

Two days later a package arrives at Rose’s house inside  the package are a series of Polaroids, with four different men.  Rose realizes that Willow really is in trouble.  Each of these photos is a possible murder suspect, their family life begins to unravel, leaving one crucial question unanswered…

Now Rose must discover who murdered Willow’s Mother, as well as to find out where Willow’s Mother is now.

I give Traces of Her five out of five stars!
An unexpected enjoyment, this book. I hadn't heard of this author but thought the synopsis sounded good. I enjoyed the story and it was written well.
As a huge thriller reader I really enjoyed this book. It kept me guessing right until the very end. I was a touch confused in the beginning because of all the characters but it came together nicely. I really enjoyed the twists and turns.
I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.   Thank you NetGalley.

The title and cover caught my eye immediately.
The summary of the book drew me in as well.
The plot/storyline was interesting and unique.   The book had many twists, and I honestly didn't see it coming.   I'd love to read more by Amanda Brittany.
Just the title of this novel made me want to read it immediately! I am so glad that I did because this one was excellent.. such an amazing thriller!
I really enjoyed this book. As a thriller lover, this story kept me guessing until the very end. I was a little confused in the early pages, trying to keep track of all the characters, but after a few flashback stories, I had it all nailed down. I truly felt for Ava and adored how much she loved her daughter Willow. This story was definitely heart wrenching at times and I seriously wanted to shake both her mother and sister to understand their incredible cruelty. While the end was a surprise, it also requires a little bit of extended imagination. While it’s not exactly realistic, the outcome is certainly possible, overall, I really enjoyed the constant twists and turns. Overall. A really great thriller!
I loved this book. It has quite a complicated story, with lots of charachters,  set around a dysfunctional family and all of their lies and secrets and stories. The story is told through the eyes of 2 characters, one in the past and one in the present. I really enjoyed reading the many twists and turns. Stick with it and get through the slightly confusing number of characters.
Willow’s mum was murdered when she was a child. Now she is an adult and Willow is on the trail of the man that committed that murder. But Willow is missing.
My only problem with this book is that at the beginning I was a bit confused about who was who and what was happening. There are quite a lot of characters to keep up with. That said, once I’d got my head around who everyone was I was gripped.
This is my first novel by Amanda Brittany and I can say with certainty that this won't be my last. I really enjoyed it, I found myself curling up and switching my phone off for some peace to crack on with it. A definite must for all fans of a psychological thriller.

Read for an honest review. Thank you Ms Brittany, Netgalley and HQ Digital
#TracesOfHer #NetGalley
A good psychological thriller.
When Rose’s flighty stepsister Willow disappears to Cornwall, she can’t help but roll her eyes. Willow is always taking off and there is always some kind of emergency.

But after Willow discovers that she was adopted and her birth mother died in tragic circumstances, her trip to the coast sparks a search into her past.
Two days later, when a package arrives at Rose’s house containing a series of four polaroids of four different men, Rose knows that Willow is in trouble. Each photograph a possible murder suspect, their family life begins to unravel, leaving one crucial question unanswered...
Who killed Willow’s mother and where is Willow now?
Read this Amazon psychological thriller. I don't want to reveal much about it.
Characters were very good.
Narration was simple and intersting.
Thanks to NetGalley and HQ Digital for giving me an advance copy of this psychological thriller.
A really good read.
Well written thriller with an interesting storyline, strong characters, and a good plot.  I loved the second half of the book better, the last few chapters were amazing and the ending surprising!

Thank you to NetGalley and HQ Digital for the ARC of this book.  This is my honest review.  All opinions are my own.
I found this one a little tricky to get into. It took me a while to get my head around the changes in perspective and to put the relationships between the characters together. At about 75% through everything clicked and sped up a notch. Unfortunately I only really persevered because it was a review copy.
Amanda Brittany writes a powerful story, with excellent characterisation and a gripping plot.

I was instantly drawn to the cover of the book and just knew I had to read 'Traces of Her' before I had even cast my eye over the synopsis! The story opens with a prologue that immediately sets the tone of the book. It is all-consuming and chilling and from this point onwards, Amanda had me totally engrossed in this story.

Told from the perspectives of Rose and Ava, this book crackles with tension. With alternating chapters between Rose in the present, and Ava in the past, Amanda Brittany's cleverly crafted and intriguing plot follows two sisters, Willow and Rose, in Willow's journey to root out the truth, having discovered that she was adopted, also learning that her birth mother, Ava, died in tragic circumstances.

When the irresponsible, flighty Willow disappears to Cornwall, Rose later receives a package from her, containing four Polaroids of different men, and she is sure that Willow is in trouble. Each of the men are possible murder suspects in relation to the death of Willow's mother. And so, their family life begins to unravel, leaving some crucial questions unanswered…who killed Willow’s mother and where is Willow now?

There were a fair few characters in this book that had me baffled, initially, as to exactly how they fitted into the story, although I managed not to become overwhelmed by this. I think it actually enhanced the story and kept me second-guessing precisely to what degree each was involved. I felt an instant connection with the three main players of Rose, Willow and Ava, who were well-drawn and 100% convincing. However, as befits all of the best thrillers, there were some less personable ones, though each had their relevant roles to play (once I had established what they were).

I totally adored Amanda Brittany’s emotive and descriptive writing style. It flowed effortlessly and the narrative was very well structured. 'Traces of Her' was a story that was rammed with suspense, mystery, and twists as it spiralled it way to the surprise denouement. It is a must-read for fans of the psychological thriller genre. A new author for me, Amanda is definitely now on my list of go-to authors and I look forward to reading many more books from her. I read 'Traces of Her' with enormous relish and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel, at my request, from HQ Digital via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
This book totally took me by surprise! It was so fast paced, so unexpected, and such a great read. I read it in just two nights and can't wait to recommend it to friends!
I really enjoyed this book. It took a little while to get into the story, but once I did it really got me in its hold. The last few chapters I just had to finish and didn't want to put it down.

I would absolutely recommend this!
Traces of Her grabbed me right from the start and delivered the twists and turns until the ending! I loved the dual narratives and timelines between Rose and Ava and just had to know what happened! Recommend for lovers of psychological thrillers and mysteries with twists!
2nd story by this author, enjoyed the 1st more.

I had a hard time getting into this story, the writing on this one threw me off for some reason. Plus there were a lot of characters and events to keep track of. I found myself going back and rereading sections in the beginning. After a while I picked up speed.

I did like the format as far as alternate narrators and timelines. I enjoyed the sections from the past more than the present.

There were some twists but the final reveal? Wow, did not see that coming at all! It was a bit crazy but I enjoyed it nonetheless... Overall, it was entertaining!

Thanks to NetGalley, the author and HQ Digital for a copy in exchange for a review.
WOW!! WOW!! WOW!! Where do I even start? This book was, simply put, mind blowing!

I was hooked from the beginning and simply could not stop reading, devouring TRACES OF HER in two sittings! I loved the alternating narratives and timelines between Rose and Ava and just had to keep turning pages to find out what truly happened 18 years before.

The story opens with a Prologue that sets the tone instantly with a chilling sense of foreboding that is so haunting it will give you goosebumps. From this point on, I was completely drawn in...and couldn't turn those pages quick enough! I would have devoured it in one sitting had I not required sleep...lol

When Rose doesn't hear from her stepsister Willow for a month, she wasn't particularly worried as Willow has always been unreliable and has often taken off on a whim in the past. But this time is different. When she suddenly receives a call from Willow, she is surprised to hear that she is in Cornwall and begs Rose to join her, pleading with her in desperation. Rose has always been soft where her stepsister is concerned and knew she would concede in the end so promises to make the five hour drive down on the weekend.

A couple of days later, Rose receives a mysterious package from Willow with photos of four suspects relating to a cold case in which two sisters died 18 years before. One of them was Willow's birth mother, Ava. And now she is obsessed with uncovering the truth about what really happened to Ava and her sister, Gail.

The news comes as a shock to Rose, who didn't even know Willow was adopted. She confronted her stepmother Eleanor who confirmed that Willow's mother had been murdered by her sister Gail, who then committed suicide. Eleanor was a case worker for the family and after the deaths, the girls' mother was incapable of looking after her granddaughter and relinquished custody, afterwhich Eleanor adopted her.

Armed with this new information, Rose and her 14 year old daughter Becky made the long journey to Cornwall but upon arrival find the cottage in which Willow is supposedly staying to be empty. Her luggage, clothes and any sign that she was ever hear has gone. All that remains is her jacket laying in one of the bedrooms...the only sign that Willow had even been here. Rose knows that she wouldn't have just upped and left, knowing that Rose was on her way to her. So where was she?

Rose then begins by asking locals at the pub and in the shop about the men in the photographs, hoping it will lead her to Willow, and to gauge their reactions. Asking if they remembered the Ava Millar murder, she soon learns that Ava was full of secrets with a history of numerous relationships with different men...or rather, boys. Justin (Willow's father), Peter and Maxen - making all them appear suspects. She hopes that the more she can find out about Ava and her murder, the closer she will get to finding Willow.

But someone doesn't want her digging up the past. On more than one occasion, Rose receives messages to LEAVE, and becomes fearful when she has the sense of being watched. Who is trying to drive her out of town? Who doesn't want the truth uncovered? And what really happened on the beach that night? The night of Ava's sister's wedding.

There are plenty of characters you will love to hate and others that is easy to sympathise with. I am unsure how I feel about Rose because she seemed to defer to her daughter an awful lot, and given that she is just 14, I thought that was a little unrealistic. Considering Becky had Rose slightly wrapped around her finger, she didn't seem to be completely ruined...which was a surprise. But I did find myself questioning just who was the adult in this relationship at times. We didn't see much of Willow as an adult but more as a precocious 2 year old when Ava was still alive, so it was hard to really have much of an opinion of her. Rory, Gail, Jeanette, Justin...could not stand any of them. As for the many other characters...most I didn't like all that much, basically because I didn't trust them.

Told through the alternating chapters between Rose in the present and Ava in the past, as well as the addition of a unknown narrative titled YOU, TRACES OF HER is a well-plotted, intriguing tale of two sisters across two timelines - Rose and Willow, and Ava and Gail - and the fate that awaits them. There are suspects aplenty as the mystery deepens. What really happened to Ava? And why was she so brutally killed? And where is Willow now?

Despite the triple narrative over dual timelines, TRACES OF HER is very easy to follow and will have you enthralled throughout. With many twists and turns, you may figure out the killer or you may not. I had my suspicions throughout most of the story of two major factors which turned out to be correct...which I only questioned when something occurred in the past to make me wonder "what if?" To me, it was so out of left field I thought that it would be mind-blowing twist that readers (except me) would never guess and it seems I was on the same wavelength as the author. And it never detracts from my enjoyment of the book if my suspicions prove to be correct. I find it a kind of challenge...to see if I can work it out.

There are many secrets and lies in this deftly crafted thriller with plenty of twists to keep you guessing. Its fast pace did not let up throughout and by the time it ended, I was left breathless.

Overall, a brilliant read from a new author to me. I have not read Amanda Brittany before and, if this book is anything to go by, it won't be my last.  I do have to question if the author is a fan of the Australian soap "Home and Away" with the characters such as Justin, Willow and Ava...with the female characters roles reversed? lol

TRACES OF HER is just brilliant. Just mind-blowing. I cannot express just how much I loved this book, despite some of its loathsome characters. I just hope I was able to do such a brilliant book justice with my review.

If you love a good psychological thriller with a twist you won't see coming at the end (although now you will...lol), then grab yourself a copy of TRACES OF HER! You will love it, I'm sure!

I would like to thank #AmandaBrittany, #NetGalley and #HQDigital for an ARC of #TracesOfHer in exchange for an honest review.
The synopsis of this book was so good it grabbed right from the beginning. Loved the cover and it had lots of twists and turns and suspense. It has such a great ending. I loved it.
Thank you Netgalley, publisher and author for the advance copy of this book.

I had trouble getting into the book and found I couldn't connect to the characters.  The story was confusing and too much detail with not enough fact.

I did finish the book and like the twist but it wasn't really for me.