Cover Image: Traces of Her

Traces of Her

The synopsis of this book was so good it grabbed right from the beginning. Loved the cover and it had lots of twists and turns and suspense. It has such a great ending. I loved it.
Thank you Netgalley, publisher and author for the advance copy of this book.

I had trouble getting into the book and found I couldn't connect to the characters.  The story was confusing and too much detail with not enough fact.

I did finish the book and like the twist but it wasn't really for me.
What a thrilling, compelling read this book is! Be warned though there's a lot going on! This has a complex storyline with many characters although I did connect well with all of them.

Rose's step-sister Willow is known for being a wanderer never staying in one place for long she is determined to find out who killed her birth mother.
When Rose receives a letter containing four photographs of male suspects and a desperate plea for help, Rose sets off for Cornwall to help very concerned for Willow 's safety.

Told from the perspectives of Mainly Ava, Willows Birth Mother and Rose this is very tense. There's lots of unexpected twists and although a certain amount of concentration is needed to read this book it did pay off.
This book was very confusing so much detail and very little fact. I did finish it however and surprisingly there was a twist at the end. However I did not enjoy this book.
I found this book slow to get into and I just couldn't relate properly to the characters.  I felt my investment in the story wasn't enough to fully enjoy the book, and I'm sure that's possibly just that I'm not quite the target audience for this book, though I do enjoy others in the same genre.
The characterisation was believable, but....a bit flat I guess.  I liked the storyline, but I just didn't feel like it was quite there for me.
The writing wasn't deficient, I just...didn't connect fully.
That said, I did talk to a friend, who did feel like she'd really enjoy it, and she's grabbed a copy and has had a far more positive response to the book, so that's great!

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for a copy of the book to review.
I received a digital advanced reader copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I really felt like I couldn't get into this book. It was a great story, and the writing was wonderful but I didn't connect with the characters at all.

I really liked the authors descriptive writing style. I feel I might not have been the right audience for this book. It was good but not my cup of tea.

Thank you for the opportunity to review this title.
3-4 stars.  I couldn’t give this one a full 5 stars, as I couldn’t get into it on a few occasions, but it did eventually get my attention.  While I felt it was well written, something was missing for me, I don’t know what exactly, but it just wasn’t a love.  I have been very moody, so it may be more that than the actual book, but did feel it was not developed properly which did confuse me at times.  Overall, I would recommend because I do think it has sone amazing suspense, thrills, chills, and good writing!
Will make sure I buzz it up!
For this being Amanda's first book, it really was not that bad. I liked it a lot and I really enjoyed the characters. It was a little confusing at times in some parts regarding the sisters but other than that, it was pretty good. I'll definitely read more from this author.

Thank you Netgalley, the author and publisher for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This was quite a complex mystery which had me lost in some parts with the sheer number of characters, but brought me into the story with its intrigue.

Rose did not hear from her stepsister Willow for over a month, then cane to know she was investigating the death of 2 sisters 20 years ago. She knew to find Willow, she had to solve the cold case.

My first book by author Amanda Brittany, the story was told in dual timelines. The mystery kept the plot going. Many characters muddied the trail, but it was still entertaining as murder mysteries are.

The writing kept the thrill going, it felt smooth, and the twists added to the plot. Characters ranged from likable to non likable and were all cast under my suspicious eye.

Overall, it was a fun twisty murder mystery.
Dysfunctional family, disappearances,deceit and murder. Psychological suspense and an unexpected end that twists even to the very last page. Thank you Netgalley, HQ Digital and author Amanda Brittany for an ARC of Traces of Her. The review and comments are my honest opinion.
I am on 2 minds about this book. In one mind it was a very easy read in terms of the plot, however it feels like it has been done multiple times in a number of different books.

The characters didn't have much depth and it all fel a bit like and then this happened and then this happened. It struggled to flow for me.

I have come away with more questions than answers here. For a start there are so many questions around the police and believability. Also the fact that the 'you' chapters aren't even by the killer

The flipping between past and present saved it slight however both just seemed a bit superficial.

Sorry but this just wasn't for me.
An engrossing thriller that kept me hooked up till the end. I really appreciate it when the authors think of all the small details and tie up all the loose ends. This author is one such. Recommended.
My thanks to HQ Digital for the blogtour invite and my gifted review ebook copy of 'Traces Of Her' which is out from 25th October!

Featuring two timelines (a 'then in the 1990's and a 'now') the reader is plunged into a nightmare of a mystery whose tendrils stretch across decades and have unfathomable effects.

Ava is the 1990's narrator-the younger sister of the glamorous Gail, and absent Peter who has run off to Australia, brought up by a mother who has never forgiven Ava's arrival being the trigger to her father's abandonment.

Rose is the 'now' narrator, using the mystery of her disappearing step-sister, Willow, to distract herself frm an increasingly fraught relationship with her daughter Becky. With her ex about to marry his same sex partner, her current partner being constantly on the move as a pilot, her world is in flux.

Mixed in  with this , is the unsolved murder(or murders) of two sisters. On Gail's wedding day, her dress and a suicide note is left pinned to her wedding dress, next to the body of her sister, Ava. Is Gail dead? If not, where is she? How can all these families ever hope to gain closure of the death of Ava whilst the case remains open?

Add in a determined Welsh detective, hidden secrets and small town reality and you have a psychological thriller which will keep you guessing till the very last page.

It's a really good thriller which will appeal to fans of mysteries and family sagas.
Traces of Her is a thriller that will fit perfectly on the shelves of every airport in America. It will be picked up by bored travelers and read during long flights and boring business trips. It will be left behind in many hotel rooms and side tables.

It's...a stereotypical story. A woman goes missing, a strange package arrives, , etc etc etc. There's nothing especially special or thrilling about this story, nothing unexpected. Still, it will be good plane reading.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review this book.
This was such an excellent read! Told from two different time periods, current time and back to around the time of Willow's mothers death. The story is told mainly from Rose and Ava's perspective with a few chapters from an unknown person. From start to finish I couldn't stop reading.

Rose is concerned about her step sister, so travels to see her. This starts a chain of events that see Rose becoming some what of an amateur sleuth along with her daughter. Rose is determined to find out what happened to Willow's mother.

I particularly enjoyed the sections told from Ava's point of view. She didn't have it easy, being a young single mother. It was so interesting to get an insight into what was going through her mind at the time of events that led to her death.

Traces of Her is a book I highly recommend, especially if you are a fan of mysteries. I can't say too much without spoiling things, but there were parts of the book that I did not see coming
I have read a couple of Amanda's books now and those I have read, I have thoroughly enjoyed.  I read the synopsis for her most recent book, 'Traces Of Her' which was released on 25th October 2019, and I was most intrigued.  The book screamed 'you need to read me' at me and so I settled down with a nice cup of tea in one hand and the book in another hand and began to read.  I finished reading it fairly recently and all I can say is 'wowzers'.  I flipping well loved reading 'Traces Of Her' but more about that in a bit.
I really felt for the character of Willow, although it did take me a little while to warm to her.  She is a young woman, who is a bit of a nomad in a sense.  She often disappears for days and often weeks at a time and her step sister cannot help but worry about her.  Willow lost her birth mother, after she died in tragic circumstances.  Since then I get the impression that Willow has been a lost soul and drifts from place to place.  Willow disappears again and her step sister Rose receives a phone call from Willow to say that she is in Cornwall, staying in a hotel, which has been paid for by a mysterious character, and she is making progress in her investigation into who killed her birth mother.  Willow makes Rose agree to go to Cornwall so that she can tell Rose in person what she has found out.  Rose can't help but fear for Willow's safety.  This feeling intensifies when she receives four polaroids of men that Willow suspects of being involved in her mother's death.  I could get where Willow was coming from in terms of wanting to find out who killed her mother and doing anything to find out.  I kept everything crossed that Willow stayed safe and in one piece at the end of the book and that she discovered who or what had killed her mother.  Does that happen?  Well you are just going to have to read the book for yourselves to find out as I am not going to tell you.
I have to be honest and say that it took a little while to get into this book.  To start with, I found that a lot of different characters seemed to be introduced into the story within a relative short space of time.  I ended up having to flick back in the book a few times to keep track of who was who.  I felt confused on occasion but then it doesn't take much to confuse me.  Once I got into the story then that was it, I just couldn't put the book down.  I was sufficiently intrigued to keep reading.  The pages turned increasingly quickly as my desperation to find out what really had happened to Willow's birth mother grew and grew.  All too quickly I reached the end of the book, which I had mixed feelings about.  Don't get me wrong I was pleased to finish because at least I knew how the story concluded but I was disappointed to finish the story because I was enjoying the story and the characters so much that I just wanted the book to continue.
'Traces Of Her' is well written and the author certainly knows how to grab your attention from pretty early on.  Once Amanda has your attention, she will not let it go until the moment you turn the back cover as it were.  Amanda has skilfully created a complex plot that will keep you gripped and on the edge of your seat throughout.  I found that Amanda describes the characters and the storylines so well that I actually felt as though I was part of the story myself.  The book is written using two different timelines and they switch back and forth with ease.  One timeline describes events as they happened in the past to Willow and her birth mother and the other timelines describes present day events.  I did wonder if that way of telling the story might be a bit confusing but I needn't have worried because the chapters interlinked really well and the story flowed seamlessly as a result.
In short, I thoroughly enjoyed reading 'Traces Of Her' and I would recommend this book to other readers.  I will definitely be reading more of Amanda's work in the future.  Here's hoping that we don't have too long to wait.  The score on the Ginger Book Geek board is a very well deserved 4* out of 5*.
Well written, with an intriguing story and realistic characters, this novel held my attention throughout. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

Thank you to NetGalley and to the publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review.
‘Rose. Rose. Pick up, please. I know who killed her. I know who killed my real mum. I’ve worked it out.’

Funny story: I don't really remember requesting/taking this book. So, when I found it in my dashboard, I had this foreign sense of it. Seeing that the release date is nearing, I looked upon the description and it sounded pretty interesting. So, now that I have read it, I have no regrets and in fact, I am a pretty mad at myself for whatever.: missing it out or not knowing if I requested it.

When Rose’s flighty stepsister Willow disappears to Cornwall, she can’t help but roll her eyes. Willow is always taking off and there is always some kind of emergency. But after Willow discovers that she was adopted and her birth mother died in tragic circumstances, her trip to the coast sparks a search into her past. Two days later, when a package arrives at Rose’s house containing a series of four polaroids of four different men, Rose knows that Willow is in trouble. Each photograph a possible murder suspect, their family life begins to unravel, leaving one crucial question unanswered…This book entirely explores the secrets underneath all the unsolved: who killed Willow’s mother and where is Willow now?

The storyline of this book is quite simple but it doesn't stop it from being interesting, gripping and absolutely intriguing storyline. The plot is well developed and the twists are completely unpredictable until the last few chapters but even then, it goes on to surprise you. Every character is well written. When I started this book, I was terribly disappointed because the plot takes time to start but now that I have finished it, I know that even then it was providing necessary details and in fact, the plot began on the very first page. Amanda is an incredible writer and her writing will keep you hooked. It was a quick read: one can finish it in a day!

I enjoyed reading this book and hope to read more of her works. You'll definitely find this book immersive!

Recommended: Any classic mystery/thriller fan, looking for a light yet a gripping read, pick this book already!
Overall: 3/5 Stars
Characters: 3/5 Stars
Believability: 2.5/5 Stars
Personal Opinion: 3/5 Stars

If I could separate the events in this book between the current time’s events and the events that happened in the past and put them into two different books, I would have loved the book that focused on the past and probably would have DNF’d the book that focused on the present.

All of the events that focused on the past and Ava’s character, were great. That whole storyline was interesting and I was really invested in seeing how it all played out. Unfortunately there wasn’t nearly enough events from the past to balance out the fact that I had to do an awful lot of ignoring the events from the present to keep momentum going.

I struggled with how much I disliked Rose and her daughter, Becky, because they both fall solidly into that Too Stupid To Live category. Besides that fact, there is this really weird back and forth as to which one of the characters is the more mature one of the two. Considering Becky is in her mid-teens, that isn’t a good thing.

There were so many times where I got frustrated by how much Rose let Becky get away with, at her age, especially under the circumstances they were in. Becky even being there in the first place made absolutely zero sense from a parental standpoint and bothered me the entire way through the story. I cannot think of a single, decent parent that would think it was okay to drag their mid-teen daughter 5 hours from home to help look for a potential killer. Everything about that whole part of the plot kept yanking me out of the story because it seemed so ridiculous.

When you finally get to weave the past events together with the present events, things get a little crazy and over the top with how it all plays out. On the one hand, I didn’t entirely see it coming, though there were hints. On the other, it breaks a lot of believability barriers. When you combine that with how little I enjoyed the present events because of the characters, this falls down into the okay range for me.

*I received a copy of this book from NetGalley. Opinions stated are honest and my own.
Loved it!!! I was hooked from the start and couldn't stop reading it. I loved how the book alternated between Ava and Rose. I didn't find the story confusing or hard to follow. Loved Ava. She wanted the best for Willow and was a wonderful mother. I hated the way her family treated her. Gail was an awful sister and had no heart. Was there any love in that family because there wasn't any family support system? At first I wasn't too sure about Peter, but I changed my mind with how he was with Willow. I was happy he was there for Ava, because her mom and sister were useless. I was definitely surprised by the ending and wasn't expecting that turn of events. I thought I had everything figured out at the wedding and I was wrong!!! There were so many twists and turns and the story kept me on my toes. Everyone was hiding secrets. Rose was an amazing sister. She never gave up looking for Willow and got involved with the mystery behind Ava's death. Becky was the most annoying character. She was definitely a teenager and complained about everything. It was plain to see she had an eating disorder and needed help.

Definitely recommend the book. I enjoyed trying to solve the mystery on what happened to Gail and Ava. I can't wait to read more books by the author.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from HQ Digital through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.