How to Speak Boy

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 06 Jan 2020

I enjoyed this story a lot. Her friend Carter was kind of an interesting character and I think the book would have been better without his storyline, but that’s about the only thing I disliked! The banter of the main characters was really fun. It is a somewhat predictable rom-com but it was fun to see exactly how the story and relationship would unfold. If you enjoy Kasie West or Jenny Han, I think you’d enjoy this too.
I throughly enjoyed this book. It was a quick read for me. I loved the characters because they were relatable, fun, and genuine. I found it refreshing that while Quinn was great at debate, she still struggled in other areas of school and wasn't a genius. It made her seem more normal and down to earth. As for Grayson, he is fairly good at most things, but that's due to family pressures and studying from what we can tell since it's told from Quinn's perspective. I wish we got more insight to his life and saw how he interacted with friends. It seemed as if he had none.

I liked Quinn's best friend Naomi and thought their interactions were fun and supportive of each other. There was one scene in the book that was a bit heart-wrenching, but otherwise the book is lighthearted, fun, witty, and smart.

If you like enemies/rivals to more, You've got Mail, and/or competitive MC's, this book is for you.
I was not the biggest fan of this, I just couldn't get into the story. Oh well, maybe her next book will be for me :)
I loved this sweet YA book! I loved the letters they wrote to one another, this is an innocent sweet light hearted love story  & I couldn’t get enough of it!

4.5/5
This is a quick, easy read that would be perfect for high school girls. It follows the typical formula of a romance novel. The reader figures out the catch long before the characters do, and the rest of the book is filled with that great frustration of yelling at characters who are so willingly ignoring the obvious.
Quinn is competitive. She's not just a little competitive; she is ultra competitive. She will do almost anything to win, except cheat. She's definitely not a cheater.

However, it looks like her biggest competition IS a cheater. Grayson seems to win at everything he does without even trying and rumor has it that he's cheated a few times to do it.

Now Quinn and Grayson have become the co-captains of the speech and debate club so they have to work together. Quinn could finally learn the truth about Grayson and his winning ways.

But she gets a little distracted when her AP Government teacher accidentally mixes up Quinn's essay with someone else's. With that simple mistake, Quinn now has an anonymous suitor who lifts her up and makes her stronger, even as Grayson seems to be trying to beat her at every turn.

Who is the letter writer who keeps leaving notes with perfectly timed messages in her box? And who is Grayson, really?

Final thoughts: Cotton candy all the way and totally fun to read. This book is the YA version of The Shop Around the Corner and You've Got Mail. Everything is pretty predictable but it's still an enjoyable few hours spent.

Rating: 4/5

Thanks to NetGalley and MacMillan Children's Publishing Group for the ARC.
A charming YA rewrite of You’ve Got Mail that had me at Speech and Debate. Quinn is a determined heroine who isn’t perfect, doesn’t know everything, and isn’t a super model. She is refreshingly normal with plenty of spunk. Quinn makes her fair share of mistakes as she navigates her college applications, the state speech tournament, friendship, and her love life. But you can’t help but cheer her on.

This is a witty and wonderful romcom that will appeal to both teens and adults.

And #Netflix ... this would make a great movie!
If you loved the movie You’ve Got Mail than this is the book for you. What’s not to like about this adorable story. Two great characters you’ll love to get to know and root for till the end. Of course it’s very easy to figure out how it ends but it still was an enjoyable read,
Great read and will be adding it to our collection as I am always looking for good Contemporary YA love stories to keep up with demand!
Quinn is an interesting character.  She's anxious, self-doubting, stresses about almost anything and overthinks almost everything, as most teen girls are prone to do--but you still like her..  Any teen girl can identify with Quinn. You'll experience an array of emotions and laugh out loud moments with this story.  How to speak Boy is a fun read.
Thank you net galley for the advance reader copy of this novel.   This was a simply delightful YA contemporary romance.    I enjoyed the relationship building between Quinn and Grayson.  Their dialogue was real and witty.  I appreciated that the author kept this book clean from sex and swearing.   I will definitely recommend this book to others and can't wait to read more by this author!!!!
This book was received as an ARC from Macmillan Children's Publishing Group - Swoon Reads in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

Now this is what I call a teen romance novel. How to Speak Boy was brilliantly written in reflecting today's society and how two unlikely people and in this case enemies can forge friendships even they could not expect just from a AP Government class and exchanging notes without even knowing who each other are. Because of the unique approach Tiana Smith took and that it was brilliantly executed, our teen book club will be ecstatic to read this and I can't wait to share this title with them and tell the rest of the community about it too.

We will consider adding this title to our YFiction collection at our library. That is why we give this book 5 stars.