The Body Painter

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 19 Sep 2019

Readers prepare to be blown away. It is a heartbreaking story with a present which intertwine with a glimpse of the past. In the present, we see only POV from Olin her pain, struggle, strength, and determination who is looking for answers who want to know what happens to her first and only love Gil. Gil is a story for himself, we don't see an explanation of his action, just a few glimpses of the past can show us why is he so harsh. I don't think that I saw a Hero with so much tragedy in his life. When Olin and Gil collide again something erupts from hatred to reborn passion that is explosive. I was not found that the story dragged a bit. Like we found in the last sentence what  Gil is hiding but is just a glimpse of the mystery that surrounds him.  Olin still doesn't have her answers why or where did he go. Like it is all left in the open for the second book. And now I wonder will be the second book jet again drag and will be waiting this long for something to happen? Intense mysterious, sad book where there is no winner, and with a cliffhanger that keeps you wanting for more.
 I volunteered to review an ARC of this book for NetGalley
Brilliant read by this author with a great storyline and characters and written brilliant  I will definitely be recommending this book
This book is DARK and really hard to read at some points but the writing is incredible and wow, what a story! It’s definitely not the book for everyone but I could not put it down. I’ve already downloaded the Kindle edition of book 2 because I HAVE to know what happens next.

CW: abuse
Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC.  I'll be honest, the beginning back and forth was really hard to get through but I kept on since this is Pepper Winters and I love her writing (at least most of the time)! So after most of half the book I started to like it and close to the end really liking it. What a way to end the book though....hate cliffhangers and I'm glad I waited until the second book was out.
When Olin answers an ad in the newspaper for a body canvas . She should of just kept scrolling . Gil is the boy that got away and when she sees him again . Things become intense and not in a good way .  Will they be able to get back to what they had or will the past be too much to bare.

Ok first off before you all start yelling at me . I truly like this author and her Tears of Tess series . This book however is not on my radar for her . I felt the characters were not up to the standards of her last books . Olin was a really wishy washy character . All she does is whine through out the book She is one dimensional and to me has no substance . Gil is a brooding guy who yeah he has been hurt but know what suck it up and become the man. They are an ok couple .

The repetition in this book drove me crazy , I seriously think that the book could of been pared down and the story would of flowed better .  I feel like the author rushed this book and Over all the plot of the story is great but the execution was just a little off . Don't get me wrong  you might like the book but it isn't one of my favourites .  Check it out if you like and let me know what you think.
I ended up not finishing the book, I stopped at 40% into the book.  This book ended up being something completely different as to what I thought it might be going in. I did not like the main characters at all. In the 40% that I have read, the story was quite repetitive and a bit boring. This book just ended up not being for me. That said, if anyone likes dark romances or they enjoy Pepper Winters other books, please give it a try still. What is not working for one person, will work for another.
3.5 stars. The Body Painter is a complicated love story with an air of mystery and a hint of the forbidden. It’s dark and unexpected. I wasn’t sure about the flow of story since it alternates past and present, but I’m not sure if there is another way tell the story. I think I became impatient because of the mystery. There is a major cliffhanger and I will be reading the next part.
I struggled with this one and could not finish it. I loved Pepper Winters Tears of Tess series but this story feels like the writing is off. It is a good storyline but I feel like when I'm reading it parts are being padded with over describing something. The characters dont have that fleshed out feeling. Thank you to Netgalley and Pepper for allowing me to read and review this.
Wow!  this book was intense to say the least.  the passion between Olin and Gill, is like nothing I've ever read before.  It was brutal but yet steamy at the same time.  the love these two had for each other just pulled at my heart and they deserve so much to be together after all the heartache they went through.  Beautifully written Pepper Winters!
This book is so good! I loved all of the characters and the development. I recommend this book if you’re a fan of darker romance novels
The purple prose in this one was not for me, and I didn't care about either of the leads. This one was a DNF for me.
I had a hard time with this book. The writing is good, so I feel that this is more about where the reader is to be receptive to it. It wasn't the book for me at the moment, but I can see how other reader may be in the mindframe to enjoy this book.
I really enjoyed this book. It took a bit of a turn and had me guessing until the cliffhanger of an ending.
Wow, wow, wow!  My first Winters book, but not my last!  Had a family emergency, so I didn’t get to start the next immediately, but will be doing that in the next couple of days!  Be warned it’s on the dark side, so if you don’t like your kink to be a bit wicked, it’s likely not for you; but if you love dark and twisted love, grab it today and start it today too!  A must read!  Highly recommend!
Will make sure I buzz it around!
So I was initially attracted to the originality of this story and this does have that in absolute spades.
The idea of a body painter was just so out there in terms of unique plotline add in the mystery of the narrative and I was always going to read this.
Now I do love this author a lot she is a phenomenal writer and I can not fault her in that regard and although I did enjoy this to an extent it wasn't my favourite.
I can't really go into this too much plot-wise here as this would be so easy to spoil so I am going to try and elaborate what did and didn't work here for me while trying to be as obscure as possible.
When Olin desperate for work answers a job add to be a living canvas she didn't expect to have her past collide with her future in such a dramatic fashion.
Gil Her first love that smashed her heart to pieces as a teenager is the artist in question and this is just the beginning of there angsty suspenseful journey.
So I really liked the way this used a past and present storyline it worked fabulously.
I also loved the sheer magnetism of the characters involved and when they came together as one it was majestic in its physical intensity.
Initially, the ongoing mystery here tantalised me, unfortunately, the obscurity dragged on for too long.
I needed more of a reason than what Gil was giving us, anything to just whet and sustain my curious appetite for more, I would have been satisfied with a tiny sliver of information, but we get absolutely nada from him, the man is locked up super tight.
The Young Gil we are introduced to well I came to the conclusion he makes really illogical and stupid decisions, but I also understood to a point why he did and I felt for him and the tragic consequences of his actions.
And Olin the girl seemed to have no form of self-preservation I also wanted to scream at her to have some self-respect in regard to Gil and just go, whatever his reason's it's obvious he doesn't want you around.
How many times does he have to say it before you get the message, the meaner he was the more she pushed.
That push and pull just went on forever though it was so dragged out it was bloody frustrating.
I also started to draw my own conclusions into just what Gil might be hiding and I was mostly correct and I did somewhat guess the twist.
That finale here though was super shocking though I'll give you that, Jaw-dropping.
So as I said I did have some issues with this but despite those reasons, I still need the conclusion like now.
If you like your romance rather toxic and angsty then this delivers on that front this has massive angst with a huge dash of suspenseful mystery and tortured lovers.
I voluntary reviewed a copy of The Body Painter (Master of Trickery Duet, #1).
I bloody loved it! I love the way Pepper Winters writes. This is a duet, but I believe the second book is already out. If I were you, and you enjoy your romance on the hot side, pick this baby up!
Pepper Winters is a new author to me, and I was drawn to the description of this book, being something a little different that my normal reads.  I appreciated how Ms. Winters made me "feel" the characters - something that is a true talent for an author to do. Gil and Olin's story is spent trying to get Gil to admit...what?  I'm still not entirely sure.  I wasn't totally sold on this book.  I'm not one to give up on a story line though, so although this wasn't my favorite book, I'm still open to reading the second half of this duet.
Brilliant!!! Loved loved loved ..so much .. the characters felt so real & I just had to keep reading to find out what had happened... couldn’t get enough of this book can’t wait for book
Two
[Thanks Netgalley for the ebook. This review is my honest opinion but just another opinion, you should read this book and judge it by yourself 😊]
Well, I really don't know what to say about this book. I think it's more a dark romance and a trigger warning is needed for all the readers to know what they're going to read (*SPOILER: there's a disgusting teenager rape). I don't know if I'd read it knowing that information. Although I've read dark romances and liked them, I need to know that I'm going to read one.
Also, this book if part of a duet and itsn't mentioned in the book description. I've read it once I have both books in my Kindle but only by pure chance.
I have mixed feelings with this book. When I read, I go wherever the writer wants me to go, so I enjoy or suffer if the MC are enjoying or suffering. In The Living Canvas I had to distance myself from them because everything felt too much. There's so much we don't know, so much anger and sadness (and totally unexpected for me) that I was afraid of reading but I couldn't put the book down.
I've struggled with the writing, which I found very repetitive, and with Olin and Gil. I understand their love and their sadness but I didn't like at all the toxic relationship between them in the present (yeah, I know that Giles is hurting and I can even understand his behaviour but it something I don't like to read). Also, I didn't like Olin's reaction toward Gil. I know she loves him but I hated she had so little selfrespect. Love never come first if it's a hurting one.
Howhever, as I said before, I couldn't put it down, I was terribly hooked by the story and I needed to know Gil's secret, which it's revealed at the end of the book. It ends in cliffhanger but, lucky me, I have The Living Canvas ready in my Kindle!
So you can see, it's been an up and downs story for me, with a lot of things I don't like but with an overall story that kept me hooked. So I guess 3 stars is the best rating I can give.
Trigger warning, rape. Gil and Olin protect each other and fall in love. A teacher destroys this and they fall apart. Years later they meet up again and becomes his canvas. Will their passion burn them? In the midst of their drawn out month with each other, murders are occurring. Is Gil the killer? The book ends on a cliffhanger so be prepared,