Cover Image: The Body Painter

The Body Painter

I really enjoyed this book. It took a bit of a turn and had me guessing until the cliffhanger of an ending.
Wow, wow, wow!  My first Winters book, but not my last!  Had a family emergency, so I didn’t get to start the next immediately, but will be doing that in the next couple of days!  Be warned it’s on the dark side, so if you don’t like your kink to be a bit wicked, it’s likely not for you; but if you love dark and twisted love, grab it today and start it today too!  A must read!  Highly recommend!
Will make sure I buzz it around!
So I was initially attracted to the originality of this story and this does have that in absolute spades.
The idea of a body painter was just so out there in terms of unique plotline add in the mystery of the narrative and I was always going to read this.
Now I do love this author a lot she is a phenomenal writer and I can not fault her in that regard and although I did enjoy this to an extent it wasn't my favourite.
I can't really go into this too much plot-wise here as this would be so easy to spoil so I am going to try and elaborate what did and didn't work here for me while trying to be as obscure as possible.
When Olin desperate for work answers a job add to be a living canvas she didn't expect to have her past collide with her future in such a dramatic fashion.
Gil Her first love that smashed her heart to pieces as a teenager is the artist in question and this is just the beginning of there angsty suspenseful journey.
So I really liked the way this used a past and present storyline it worked fabulously.
I also loved the sheer magnetism of the characters involved and when they came together as one it was majestic in its physical intensity.
Initially, the ongoing mystery here tantalised me, unfortunately, the obscurity dragged on for too long.
I needed more of a reason than what Gil was giving us, anything to just whet and sustain my curious appetite for more, I would have been satisfied with a tiny sliver of information, but we get absolutely nada from him, the man is locked up super tight.
The Young Gil we are introduced to well I came to the conclusion he makes really illogical and stupid decisions, but I also understood to a point why he did and I felt for him and the tragic consequences of his actions.
And Olin the girl seemed to have no form of self-preservation I also wanted to scream at her to have some self-respect in regard to Gil and just go, whatever his reason's it's obvious he doesn't want you around.
How many times does he have to say it before you get the message, the meaner he was the more she pushed.
That push and pull just went on forever though it was so dragged out it was bloody frustrating.
I also started to draw my own conclusions into just what Gil might be hiding and I was mostly correct and I did somewhat guess the twist.
That finale here though was super shocking though I'll give you that, Jaw-dropping.
So as I said I did have some issues with this but despite those reasons, I still need the conclusion like now.
If you like your romance rather toxic and angsty then this delivers on that front this has massive angst with a huge dash of suspenseful mystery and tortured lovers.
I voluntary reviewed a copy of The Body Painter (Master of Trickery Duet, #1).
I bloody loved it! I love the way Pepper Winters writes. This is a duet, but I believe the second book is already out. If I were you, and you enjoy your romance on the hot side, pick this baby up!
Pepper Winters is a new author to me, and I was drawn to the description of this book, being something a little different that my normal reads.  I appreciated how Ms. Winters made me "feel" the characters - something that is a true talent for an author to do. Gil and Olin's story is spent trying to get Gil to admit...what?  I'm still not entirely sure.  I wasn't totally sold on this book.  I'm not one to give up on a story line though, so although this wasn't my favorite book, I'm still open to reading the second half of this duet.
Brilliant!!! Loved loved loved ..so much .. the characters felt so real & I just had to keep reading to find out what had happened... couldn’t get enough of this book can’t wait for book
Two
[Thanks Netgalley for the ebook. This review is my honest opinion but just another opinion, you should read this book and judge it by yourself 😊]
Well, I really don't know what to say about this book. I think it's more a dark romance and a trigger warning is needed for all the readers to know what they're going to read (*SPOILER: there's a disgusting teenager rape). I don't know if I'd read it knowing that information. Although I've read dark romances and liked them, I need to know that I'm going to read one.
Also, this book if part of a duet and itsn't mentioned in the book description. I've read it once I have both books in my Kindle but only by pure chance.
I have mixed feelings with this book. When I read, I go wherever the writer wants me to go, so I enjoy or suffer if the MC are enjoying or suffering. In The Living Canvas I had to distance myself from them because everything felt too much. There's so much we don't know, so much anger and sadness (and totally unexpected for me) that I was afraid of reading but I couldn't put the book down.
I've struggled with the writing, which I found very repetitive, and with Olin and Gil. I understand their love and their sadness but I didn't like at all the toxic relationship between them in the present (yeah, I know that Giles is hurting and I can even understand his behaviour but it something I don't like to read). Also, I didn't like Olin's reaction toward Gil. I know she loves him but I hated she had so little selfrespect. Love never come first if it's a hurting one.
Howhever, as I said before, I couldn't put it down, I was terribly hooked by the story and I needed to know Gil's secret, which it's revealed at the end of the book. It ends in cliffhanger but, lucky me, I have The Living Canvas ready in my Kindle!
So you can see, it's been an up and downs story for me, with a lot of things I don't like but with an overall story that kept me hooked. So I guess 3 stars is the best rating I can give.
Trigger warning, rape. Gil and Olin protect each other and fall in love. A teacher destroys this and they fall apart. Years later they meet up again and becomes his canvas. Will their passion burn them? In the midst of their drawn out month with each other, murders are occurring. Is Gil the killer? The book ends on a cliffhanger so be prepared,
DNF @ 29 %.

Before I start with my review I should probably mention two things.
1) This was my first book by this author. I had no idea what was I in for.
2) This book is a part of a duet. I didn't know that at the time I was requesting this book on NetGalley (I also think this very important piece of information for me wasn't mentioned on the page) otherwise I would avoid reading it because if you follow me for a while then you probably know I hate cliffhangers, duets and trilogies.

So when I started reading it the first thing that bothered me was this hot and cold attitude of the MCs.

One time she's like ''Oh, I am gonna stay away from the hero, he doesn't want me'' the next second ''but I should GO, he's hurting''. And then of course, she goes to him.
As for him, he is pushing her away. Or as mentioned before, trying to. I only read a close third of the book but I hated how he treated the heroine, how he didn't treat her as a person. But what really triggered me was the underlying tone of violence. I am not (or should I say until now I can't really say I have read dark romance) a fan of dark romance which this obviously is. But at the same time, I can't also call it romance because so far there were absolutely no romantic activities of any kind. I mean mutual feelings of love because there was kissing involved...
I came to a part where the hero took the beating from an unknown person who obviously means something to him. He took it willingly with the heroine watching and while she was shouting for him to fight back because he was so much stronger than the other person. But he didn't.

Now I don't know why he would do that and I would hate to guess but as far as reading goes, this book is just not for me.
I don’t think I will ever get enough of Pepper Winters books, and after having read The Body Painter-it confirms that for me.

In this book, her “norm” is all there; the story unfolding in this mesmerizing way that sucks you in, the unique plots she comes up with beautifully crafted worlds and characters that you love and sometimes hate at the same time.

The Body Painter is part one of Gil and Olin’s story. It’s about a love that shouldn’t be but somehow is. And of course, when you are in a world that Pepper Winters creates, the characters never have it easy. Instead, they have to work for it all.

This book is no different and is filled with all the angst, tension, mystery, decadent erotically charged scenes with a dark veil embracing it all....and I couldn’t get enough!!

This book delivers on so many levels and the cliffhanger will blow you away.

I would recommend this book and any other book by this author.
I can’t wait for book #2!!
I didnt hate it but I didnt love it either.  It was just a meh ok.read for me.  I found the first 40% so repeadative I wanted to give up.  I'm glad I didnt but with saying that Im.not sure I will read book 2.

I have always loved Peppers books but lately I find they are alot of filler.  Just give us the story word count is not that important to us.
Thank you to the publisher for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
I truly love Pepper Winter's writing so this time is no different as usual. Her story is beautifully written. Although the start of the story is a bit dull but I still love it till the end.
Another fabulous read from pepper winters love her books! Read this in one sitting definitely recommend! Thankyou to netgalley for the arc!
Wow what the 🤐 do I begin with this amazing book by Pepper Winters?!?!

The Body Painter was amazing! Olin and Gil’s vicious cycle of giving to much and not giving anything was so frustrating but in the best way possible.  And then the mystery behind everyone’s behavior was epic. Now that I brought up the word epic let’s discuss the ending..... I seriously tossed my kindle at the end. That cliff hanger has me NEEDING the next book so badly!

Pepper Winters is a sure thing for me and I’m very seriously Body Painter was amazing and I have a feeling this series is going to be epic!
Wow. The suspense alone had me turning the pages.

Gilbert (Gil) Clarke comes from a terrible upbringing. He is awaiting his chance to get out of school and make some changes. Feeling undeserving of everything, Olin changes his perception. Slowly he starts to let her in; see his vulnerabilities. But then he abruptly leaves and leaves Olin heartbroken.

Olin helps everyone, sees the good in everyone. 7 years since she last saw Gil, as though fate has brought them back together. The attraction is still just as strong but Olin wants answers on why he just left.

Here we enter a vicious circle of Olin selflessly giving herself to Gil, Gil frustratingly won't answer anything, remaining shrouded in mystery but unable to keep Olin at bay.

The ending will throw you for a loop.... its a cliff hanger. Can't wait for the second book. Definitely one click this now.
This book had put me on edge in every meaning! Ms. Winters had created a story that was twisted on so many levels that when I thought I had it, something happened and BAM - I know nothing once again. I love this kind of book where I suspect something constantly and everything is destroyed one by one in one chapter.
I needed a little longer time to get into the story as it was moving from the present to the past and again without giving a lot of information.
Olin is a woman that had loved once. But the love of her life had broken her in High School. It was sudden, unexpected and for sure heartbreaking. Yet she got up from it and started being the maker of her own life.
Gilbert (Gil) is so shattered character that was broken on so many levels that I can't count it. He's dark, broken, tainted, ready to devour every person. Don't let his beginning make your idea about him unchangeable as Ms. Winters had blown up such a bomb that I was rereading it a few times.
Those two characters tangled from HS will be ready to start once again or this advert that brought them together once again will tear them apart again?
I hope book two (The Living Canvas) wilL be even better.
This book was very different than books I normally read. but I loved every detailed minute of it! It was dark and intense. I couldn’t put it put it down!

I looked forward to this book forever.  Sadly I was disappointed. I didn’t hate it, I just didn’t like it nor enjoy it. I was expecting more. Maybe it was me?
TW: domestic abuse, rape (Peppers Winters books are considered Dark Erotica, a lot of themes, scenarios may not be for you)

"The headline caught my attention......The second line piqued my curiosity....The third made me scowl....The fourth made me shudder....The final made my heart race....i should've clicked on any other job where i got to keep my clothes on. But I didn't. I applied. My interview is tomorrow..."

This book, took my heart and RIPPED IT OUT.

Gil is such a complex character with a heartbreaking background story of abuse, he finds friendship and love with Olin, a kindhearted girl who is selfless in every extent of the word. Events happen which cause our main characters to lose touch via a horrible breakup and now as fate would have it, they reconnect.

OBVIOUSLY i'm leaving a TON of spoilery things out, so you can read it AND SUFFER WITH ME. (luckily its not for long, the next book comes out in a week)

THEIR CHEMISTRY THO!!! i was staring at my kindle screaming "PLEASE JUST GET IT ON ALREADY!" thankfully, Mrs Pepper Winters ALWAYS delivers!!!

i cant wait to continue this duet, im sitting here counting down the days until i get the next one.
I really enjoyed this book. I would probably say that this is more of a dark romance. It had some dark moments and angst and grit that I really enjoyed. I'm not sure if it's one of my favorite books by Pepper but still worth the read. This book does end on a cliffhanger so beware.

Thank you Netgalley, the author and publisher for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.