The Body Painter

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 19 Sep 2019

This book was ultimately, too dark and abusive for me - I just couldn't get past that.  I can handle some dark romances - but this wasn't particularly romantic to me.  And the physical and mental abuse was too much.  I wish I could be happier with it! I had to stop reading because it really bothered me alot..

I will try some other books by this author!
3.5 Stars
A dark, twisted, heartbreaking story; The Body Painter is the first in the Master of Trickery Duet. I like this story, slow in part and long to get to the point but once we got there wow what a thriller. I look forward to the conclusion.
“Monsters walk amongst us. They wear the same skin. They just hide who they are.”
Olin desperately needs to find a job, and she accepts an offer to pose as a living canvas, she agrees to met the artist and ends up being surprised by a twist of fate.
The Body Painter is a dark romance book that narrates the story of Olin and Gil, who share a painful past.
I had high expectations with this book, but I just couldn’t connect with the characters or the story, it was the never ending story, I found it repetitive at times and slow.
This book is part one of a duet and there’s a cliffhanger at the end, but I’m not even sure if I want to read the second one.
Thank you Netgalley and Xpresso Book Tours for giving me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
“Funny how life could promise such hope, then snatch it away so quickly.”
“I was the boy everyone left alone. She was the girl everyone wanted to be with.”
I voluntarily received a copy of this book for an honest review!
This is one of those times I hate reviewing! I would rather keep my opinion to myself. But I can’t.
I love this author in fact I own most of her books but this one....I just couldn’t finish. I felt like it kept repeating itself and then I felt lost and confused. Maybe this one just wasn’t in my wheelhouse. But it was a fight to get half way through and in the end I said no and just stopped torturing myself.
I honestly hope other people like it because she is such a great author this one just wasn’t for me!
Pepper Winters builds deep and intricate stories, and this one is no exception. Part of a duet so don't expect all the story here but this was a very push and pull romance between the characters and had me feeling a bit overwhelmed with it all. A decent and very intricate story, not my fave book of the authors but the blurb had me enticed and the cover is gorgeous
Nobody does tortured souls like Pepper Winters.
I loved Gil from the start and was glad he found a friend in Olin when he most definitely needed someone to show him they cared.
I also loved the push and pull from these two and the indecision from both of them as it felt real. 7 years apart has changed them but the intense connection is still there, whether they want to accept it or not.
This book left me aching for Olin and Gin and the difficult situation, huge understatement, they find themselves in at the end of the book.
The only thing i didn’t like were some of the terms used in the book as they weren’t ‘English’ terms for example Gil and Olin would have met in senior school in Birmingham not high school as mentioned in the book but these weren’t a deal breaker and i still absolutely loved the book.
Intense, dark romance - Part 1, Cliffhanger

This unusual premise blooms into quite an emotional read.  The chemistry is intense, the suspense is palpable, and the characters are well-written and play off each other beautifully.  It was a bit slow in some parts, but overall Gil and Olin's push/pull relationship is fraught with uncertainty and besieged by secrets.

The ending of this part leaves more questions unanswered, but it does open up a whole new and wholly unexpected avenue to be explored in the conclusion of this duet.  This story isn't for the faint of heart; it's as far from a light and frothy romance as any book can be.   I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book.
The cover to the one is the first thing that grabbed my attention!! I really loved this cover. The story was so much better.  I loved this one!!!  Mystery and secrets are abound in this one!  Each character plays their part with intense romance and sexy sexy situations.  I really fell in love with the plot and pacing and just about everything!! I just wished it would have been longer.  I can't wait for the next title!
So I went into this book knowing that it was going to be dark. but I think that it was a little too dark for my soul. I think that there were parts of it that were super abusive and it kind of glorified a toxic relationship. There is just a lot of issues I had with Gil. he is not a good character to me. The way he treats Olin is just garbage, and in my opinion very psychologically damaging. and it could be triggering. So people should be aware of that when they read this. Then Olin just kind of laid down like a rug and took all the crap that Gil gave her. I am not a huge fan of that type of character. I just didn't like this book at all. At times it made me sick to my stomach. I am not sure that was what the author was going for. I have read other titles from Pepper Winters and I like them a whole lot more than this.
Wow. SO DIFFERENT From what I’m use to reading. But loved it. Look forward to reading more from this author. Thanks.
I’m a HUGE fan of Pepper Winters, and I hate to have to write this review, but this book just didn’t do it for me. I think the storyline had a lot of potential, but it dragged on for sooo long without there being much substance to the story itself. By the end, I understood why Gil continued to push Olin away, but he was such a jerk throughout the entire book and Olin came across as a bit of a pushover, so I personally didn’t like either of those characters. Sad to say I was disappointed with this book.

An achingly beautiful Heartbreak.  The pull - and-tug between Gil and Olin is electrifying as they dance among the shattered memories of their shared pasts and passionately try to create a new future amidst the tortured present.  To love Gil is a deadly game with rules that Olin doesn't know and it has just put not only her life in danger, but someone far more precious to him.  I can't wait to see how this series turns out.

** I received a free copy of this book via NetGalley and am voluntarily leaving a review. **
Mysterious, troubling, infuriating, sexy--The Body Painter is all of this and more.
Pepper Winters has created  characters who aren't like characters we've met before and as we piece together their history and how it influences their present, it explodes into a cliffhanger that will have readers ready for more.
Their story is passionate and devastating and I'm holding out hope that the HEA comes soon, without too much more torture for these guys.
„He'd belonged to me like I'd belonged to him.
But then he'd become a monster… and no one knew why.”

At a time when I’ve read literally everything and there is no plot that would surprise me, Pepper Winters once again proves that I will finish reading her book with an open mouth and mind blown. The Body Painter knocked me off my feet and I was at the edge of my seat from the very beginning, just dying to know how it’ll end. My heart and my mind were full of mixed emotions, constantly at war.

Olin and Gil met in high school. She was little miss popular and he was poor boy from the wrong side of tracks. But aside of that, they were a lot alike… lonely and misunderstood. They became friends and fell in love with each other. Everything was good, until it wasn’t. Gil abruptly changed and no one knew why. Now, after 7 years fate brought them back together.
This book is an endless back anf forth, push and pull, secrets and pain, unanswered questions and seeking answers. It’s a heartache, longing and ugliness. Gil is such a tortured hero- cold, callous and haunted. Despite his obvious feelings for Olin, he’s mean to her. And I’m not talking about a little insult here and there… I mean complete disrespect, cruelty and threats. But Olin wants to know why he disappeared in the past. She wants to get answers and understand. There were times when I thought about her as an emotional masochist and doormat, but then I saw her strenght and determination. She’s lost and alone, she has been through a lot, but she’s still sellfless, brave and kind-hearted.

The whole story is shrouded in mystery, the secrets are hanging in the air and it gives a thrill. You can feel deep connection between main characters, but withholding makes it hard to move forward. Pepper created captivating and intense story, filled with emotions, desire, need and pain. I feel the psychical need to know the continuation. I can’t wait to see how Olin and Gil’s story will play out!
Wow, just wow.
I adore Pepper and have read it all. This, well, I figured out part of the secret mid book but it's not till the page that its confirmed. But all of the agony and drawn out suspense makes it a book you just cant put down.

Highly recommend this book.
Dark, haunting, twisted. The Body Painter will have you furiously flipping pages to unravel the mystery only to be left with a horrifying and gut-wrenching cliffhanger! I really have to stop picking up series before they're complete because cliffhanger like these have you irritably anxious and emotionally wrecked.
2 stars
I am bored, When I am bored I skim. I get to the end to see it is a cliffhanger. I hate cliffhangers. Especially when you don't know this is book one in a series. UGH!!
Unfortunately, this book did not meet my expectations at all. And I did not have high ones. In my opinion, the characters were one dimensional and underdeveloped and the story dragged on and on...
I wanted to enjoy this, the title seemed appealing to me, the cover also, but sadly that was not enough.

*Copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
What a roller coaster this one was...

I have two very different reactions to Pepper Winters: It's either, wtf or ugly crying and this one was totally on the WTF category.

I love Dark Romance and twists, an asshole hero, shitty past, I'm down for everything but Gil and Olin? If she was my friend I would call the cops on this guy.

There's a line between the usual romance trope where the guy does the usual assholish thing and asks the heroine to stay away and there's a whole other ballgame when he physically threatens her with violence. Like, a shit ton of violence. I'm used to heroes going out of their way to emotionally hurt the heroine by sleeping with someone else sometimes right in front of them, but actually telling her to leave or else she's gonna need medical attention? Fuck this bullshit. Just fuck it. Fuck all of it. And she just kept going back, every day the same shit, he'd be an asshole, she'd leave and then come back the next day like nothing had gone down, what the fuck was that. So repetitive.

On top of that whole mess, I never actually connected with the two of them. The story goes back and forth into their past and present selves and I hate that, I hate reading that, it never works for me and I just can't connect with the characters because of it. This one didn't work for me but Pepper Winters has a way with words, man. Her writing is so beautiful, I love it.
I'm no stranger to Pepper Winters and The Body Painter has left me in bits and pieces.  If you are not familiar with her work, she writes dark romance.   Don't let that discourage you though because she will leave your heart in shatters, torn into ribbons and leave you wanting more.
Olin Moss is desperate.  She needs a job and this advertisement to be a live body canvas seemed simple enough, right?
Gilbert Clark is a boy from the wrong side of the tracks.   His life has been nothing but misery, but he has his art to fall on.  His life was imperfectly simple enough until he sees who his new canvas is.  The girl that he never forgot.  The girl he brokenly left behind.  His childhood best friend , Olin.
This book ends on a cliff hanger - sorry to break it to you, but oh what an ending.  It leaves you crawling, desperate to get to the next piece of this gripping, mesmerizing story of secrets and lies.
A special thank you to NETGALLEY and Pepper Winters for this free copy of The Body Painter in exchange for an unbiased review.

Favorite Quote: His art replaced everything. His concentration was his master, making him a slave to colour.