The Authenticity Project

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 05 May 2020

In these extraordinary times, you want something nice to take your mind off of things, and this book does just that. The Authenticity Project is a sweet book, and one that just makes you feel good and believe that everything will be okay in the end. It’s positive and really reflects on the human being: its highs and lows, and its successes and secrets. It encourages being your true self and actually promotes kindness and celebrates the opportunities that we have to do good things for other people just because we can.

My only qualm with the book was the pacing. There are a lot of discussions throughout the book - pages upon pages of chit chat as characters meet and bond with one another. If that’s your cup of tea then that’s fine, but it dragged a bit for me in certain spots.

Still, the premise is beautiful and the story ties together at the end in such a fantastic manner. You will put down this book wanting to spread some love around the world, and if that isn’t just fantastic in this current state of the world, then I don’t know what is.

I’d like to thank Penguin Random House Canada for the free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
The Authenticity Project is a breath of fresh air. Part love story, part women’s fiction, this novel leaves such a pleasant feeling upon completion. These characters have become my friends; I have journeyed with them and felt every bump along the way. The green book has not only changed their lives, but mine as well. I highly recommend this charming book.
The Authenticity Project provides a lovely literary read.  What do I mean by that?  So many books today read like a screen play.  Clare Pooley uses classic styling to develop her many characters while slowly building the plot.  THIS was a book I THOROUGHLY enjoyed and has put Pooley on my "watch list",  I look forward sampling many more....
An enjoyable read about unfulfilled lives which are enriched when a community comes together to help each other find their happiness. The characters are jolted together by a journal which strives to bring authenticity to their lives by revealing their true selves, as well as their hopes and desires. While a bit far fetch, the book moves swiftly along, and presents a society where, by truly seeking to know each other, the individual end up finding their place in their community and achieving a bit more happiness:

Thank you to Penguin Random House Canada and NetGalley for the ARC.
The idea of a travelling notebook was intriguing. Though much different than other travelling item stories, it kept with the theme of bringing people together. I appreciated that the notebook wasn’t magical – even though enchanted items can be exciting. It was a delight to read how a simple ordinary notebook could affect the lives of so many people.

The story started out at a good pace and kept it up the whole way through. Different chapters focused on different characters but I didn’t feel that the story got lost at any point in time. I loved seeing the events multiple times in the perspective of different characters.

Clare Pooley is a talent I’m so glad to have found. I will definitely be keeping an eye out for her next release.
Amazing and inspiring! This book gives you hope for humanity! Loved it so much!
The characters were easy to love and the story line on point
For the most part really enjoyed this book! I loved the characters though some of them got on my nerves a bit until I really got to know them. Especially Alice as she seemed a bit shallow though you learn some things about her along the way that proves that she has her hidden qualities! I also felt that the romance between Hazard and Monica was a bit rushed at the end and I felt a little bad for Riley. I felt for the guy as Monica could be a bit judgmental at times that it made me a bit frustrated. Especially when it came to fight neAr the end of the book. It felt a bit forced and I felt that the author  was just bringing things up to create conflict when Monica knows that Hazard feels differently about her now that he really knows her. I will definitely check out the authors next book as I really enjoyed her characters even when they irritated me.

Thank you to Netgalley and Penguin Random House Canada for this review copy. All opinions expressed are my own.
Thanks NetGalley for an advanced reader’s copy of the book. I really enjoyed the book and the characters in the book and the premise of the notebook travelling and the introduction of new characters.
The Authenticity Project is a charming novel about humanity, second chances and acceptance.  The cast of characters cross paths with a little notebook called the Authenticity Project started by septuagenarian Julian Jessop..  As it passes through each of their hands it forces the characters to reflect on their lives and how they are showing up in the world.
A book where you really connect with the characters. Each portray a different life then what truly lies within. The premise of the book is quite unique although at times can be a bit far fetched (my pessimistic side coming out). What I appreciate about the story is that the author does a really good job illustrating that things aren’t always as they seem. I am deducting a star because I didn’t love the ending.
I was blown away by this book.  So glad I got the chance to read the advance copy.
Gives great insights into the lives of others and that things are not always as them seem.  People are not being their authentic self.
The central character, Julian, is a loveable, rascally type gentleman who starts the whole journey off by writing his truth in a green notebook and casually leaves it in a cafe for someone to find.  He invites them to share their stories.  Then we meet quite a group of characters who stumble across the book and we learn about their lives.  The characters lives start to intertwine making for some real interesting reading
A bit of a twist at the end of the story.  I could not put it down. You need to read this
3.5
I really was looking forward to reading this book, but something happened to my kindle version and the writing was a bit distorted and hard to follow. Between that and reading it while I had a terrible case of the flu = I dont think I enjoyed it as much as I would have in a different context. The story was good and engaging but I just didnt feel into it or compelled by as much as expected. I would recommend for a summer read or cottage read more than a winter read. Thanks for the ARC though.
The Authenticity Project was such a fun and engaging read that also successfully tugged at my heartstrings!  This book deals with the fact that we all have things going on under the surface that others don’t know about.  We go about our days often hiding the way we truly feel, not to mention our hopes, dreams and regrets.

When coffee shop owner Monica comes across a notebook entitled The Authenticity Project, she learns some things about one of her patrons and decides she wants to influence his life for the better.  Not only that, she decides to contribute to the notebook herself and leave it for someone else to find, the results of which will have ramifications for her life as well as others, that she never could have anticipated.

I loved getting to know all of the characters in this book and watching them become a sort of family.  They all seemed like real people to me, and they were all so different that they probably wouldn't have become acquainted if not for the notebook.

I also love the underlying message, which is how important it is to connect with the humans around us.  As ‘connected’ as we are to others through technology these days, it’ll never replace genuine human interaction.  It also shows how amazing things can be when we bare our innermost selves to others, not worrying about judgement.

Thank you to Penguin Random House Canada and Netgalley for an e-galley of this book.
Thank you Penguin Random House Canada, Viking Books and Netgalley for a copy of The Authenticity Project by Clare Pooley.

The Authenticity Project starts of with a lonely man writing his authentic thoughts in a notebook and leaving it for a random stranger to find. The book follows the notebook as it’s found by others and adds their voices and perspectives as we go. As the book goes around, the people who find the book seem to work together to help the person before with their lives and they all end up friends. It’s a lovely story. Nothing too shocking happens, the characters all have their problems but they are all nice people, etc. There is one character that has a problem with drugs and alcohol in case that is a trigger for you but the use in the book is minimal.
My favourite perspective ended up being Alice, a new mom struggling with her life now and her husband not helping much, as well as balancing being a social media influencer. She takes calm beautiful pictures of her life as a mom but feels nothing of the sort in real life and can not seem to balance the two sides of her life.

The Authenticity Project is a fun read but it was just ok for me. It became a little repetitive for me and I wish there was a little more drama in the plot. If you are looking for a heartwarming, fun read, look for The Authenticity Project.
The Authenticity Project by Clare Pooley is a fresh and clever take on the power of human connection, and I felt myself being almost immediately drawn to this diverse cast of charming, well fleshed out characters.

It all begins with a green notebook.  Seventy-nine year old Julian writes his personal truth in the book, posing a challenge to anyone who finds it to add an authentic account of their own life.  The book is found in a coffee shop that is owned by Monica, and she feels compelled to add her own account to its pages, while also searching for a way to help Julian to alleviate his loneliness.  Through a series of similar exchanges, the authenticity project is born..

Building on this heart-warming concept, and rich in characters that will linger in your conscience, this is a novel that you will not soon forget.  Recommended.

Many thanks to NetGalley and Penguin Random House Canada for this ARC.
A thoroughly enjoyable debut. The Authenticity Project is a wonderful exploration of friendship, community, authenticity, personality, masks, and building a life. The characters are vivid and well-drawn, each with a distinct voice and each gets just the right amount of resolution to their story. I look forward to reading Pooley's next novel.
I read this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Authenticity Project presents familiar characters and predictable plots in a way that makes it hard to put the book down.

I cared about the characters and I wanted happy endings for them all. Pooley offers a surprise near the end that elevates the novel.

Pick it up on a Sunday so you don't have to put it down until you're done.
I really wanted to like this book, but it was just okay for me.  I liked the concept of “The Authenticity Project” and how the notebook was passed from character to character.   I also enjoyed the diversity of the cast of characters and the friendship that they created but I just didn’t feel connected to these characters and their story.  I felt it difficult to stay engaged to this book.  This is most likely simply a mismatch of reader to book as others have reviewed this book much more positively.

Thanks to Netgalley and Penguin Random House Canada for the ARC of this book in exchange for the honest review provided here.
I requested and received an advance reading copy of this book and all I can say is WOW!
When I wasn't reading this book, I was thinking about the characters. I did not want to put this book down!

This book was awesome, you couldn't help but relate to the emotions the characters were feeling, and the stories they were sharing.

I will be recommending this book to everyone I know.

#TheAuthenticityProject #NetGalley
An interesting storyline, an old selfish, lonely man, Julien, who has secluded himself in his home for many years since his wife died came to the conclusion that most people are not honest about themselves.  He knows he wasn’t, so he decides to write the truth about himself anonymously in a green book.  What his expecting are is not clear, but he leaves the book in a little cafe.
Mónica, the owner of the book reads it she decides to find the old man and befriend him.
Then after some deliberation she decides to write about herself and her desperate desire to have a man and  a baby and leaves it in a pub.  The story carries on, more people read and then decide to write about themselves.   The results are quite unexpected.
A good story, worth the read.   It made me think about whether I and my acquaintances are true to ourselves.   3.1/2