The Little Book of Big Feelings

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 25 Dec 2019

Oh I loved this book!

The illustrations are so appealing as they are colourful and simple, yet convey exactly what the illustrator wants the reader to see. I hate when a page has so much on it that you almost don't know where to look. This graphic novel avoids that feeling of too much information yet manages to show a lot.

It is nicely organised with an emotion, followed by an explanation of that emotion and then pages of examples as to how it applies in real life. The examples are obviously personal to the author but they are so familiar to me that I know that many others will relate and smile as they say 'ahhhhh I feel that way too' or 'I have experienced that!'

I have already ordered a copy for my school library as the pupils will love it.

I am delighted to have received an advanced copy of this courtesy of Netgalley and the publisher.
This book was so relatable. It was a little hard to read on a Kindle, so I switched to IPad. Lovely illustrations and relatable content. Recommended for all introverts out there
I loved this! The doodles are cute, it fits perfectly with the quarter life crisis times but can be relevant to people of all ages!

I would even use part of this in primary school to help encourage emotional expression and understanding their feelings.

I’d love a physical copy to keep going back to.
A great book of funny comics and deeper insights to help with conversations about handling emotions and allowing yourself to be human! Fitting for children or adults alike. It feels like a portable therapy session but with plenty of jokes.
Have you ever saw a book that you knew you were going to love? When I saw this little book offered on NetGalley, I knew that I HAD to read it. I was so excited when I was finally able to sit down and dive in. Now imagine my surprise when I realized quickly that I just did not like this book. Everything pointed to this being the perfect book for me, but unfortunately, this was just not that good.

The drawings and cartoons were adorable, though, the low resolution of the book made it almost impossible to read some of the sketches.

The self-help portion of this book was weird and almost preachy in ways I can't quite put my finger on. I almost thought an extraverted friend was advising me on how their one friend deals with her introversion. It also felt like being an introvert has to be corrected, which didn't sit well with me.  I think that was my main issue. There is nothing wrong with being an introvert, and I HATE that this book made me feel that there was. Honestly, all I can think is that this will be the book that extroverts everywhere buy to "help" an introverted friend.

All in all, the drawings were adorable, and at times I could relate, but I would not recommend this to anyone. If you want a book to gift that special introvert in your life, I highly recommend Quiet Girl in a Noisy World by Debbie Tung.
I really enjoyed this book. Some parts really hit the nail on the head for how I feel somedays. Being introverted, sometimes it's hard to put these emotions into words but Marzi does this quite well. I think this would also be good for teenagers and maybe even tweens to see that they aren't alone and others feel like them,

Enjoyable and quick read!
Marzi (full name Maureen Marzi Wilson) will be familiar to many for her Insta account @introvertdoodles where she chronicles the trials, tribulations, benefits and comforts of an introverted life.

I related massively to her writing and comics in her second publication, The Little Book of Big Feelings: An Illustrated Exploration of Life's Many Emotions.

It seems that there's probably a big overlap in the Venn diagram of being introverted, highly sensitive and autistic, and at times I wondered if Marzi had been watching my life.

Amusing but also validating, I can highly recommend this lovely book for the quieter person in your life.
I loved this book! I know so many people who are introverts and I know that they would enjoy this book as much as I did. It is the perfect combination of pictures and wording that make it so easy to read!
What a wonderful surprise! I thought the book might be a topical, cutesy, 80-page gift book, but “The Little Book of Big Feelings” is much, much more. Maureen Marzi Wilson has deftly portrayed and explored more than a dozen emotions with her signature quirky-but-relatable thoughts and illustrations. Five stars!
A whimsical look at the struggles of being an introvert. I have been following Marzi for a while and have always found her introvert doodles adorable and relatable, and this book is the same. Anyone can relate to some of these feelings in some way, so this book can connect with a bunch of people.
2.5 stars? Only because Kindle isn’t the best way to read this book. It should be, like almost picture books, be hard cover, hard pages, physical book. After all, it is a picture book for adults.

And it’s interesting! The book talks about those big feelings that we aren’t quite prepared for while in the middle of adulting. Situations are more complicated, consequences have bigger impact, and our lives a little harder than we thought it would be.

At least that’s the gist of what I got. I couldn’t read the illustrations and the comics very well on my kindle. Mostly too small. So what a waste of a promising book this is. I can say I really read it so I’ve rated it halfway.

Thank you @adams_media for the arc of the book. Next time I think I’ll download the pdf to better read books like this one. Or just offer pdf?
Thank you to Adams Media and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I had never heard of this author, but the description captured my interest - and I really enjoyed the very personal way the author approached the question "How are you?". Her drawings and thoughts may appear simple, but there is a lot of profound truth to be found in the clear and direct emotions that she explores.
How am I just now hearing about this delightful author? On NetGalley, I read the description for The Little Book of Big Feelings, and knew I wanted to review it, thinking it would be especially great for discussing emotions with my kids. After reading it (at times by myself, other times my kids joined me at the computer to read some of it) I plan to buy a copy and check out her other work as well.

Some comic books for adults aren't suitable for kids due to language or content, but this book contains none of those elements and I'll happily hand our copy off to my kids despite them not being the target audience. It will help them better understand emotions (their own, and other people's).

This "illustrated exploration of life's many emotions" takes us through 16 emotions the author has experienced. Each chapter starts with a brief description and commentary, and the author keeps things personal. Some of the panels are funny, others are touching. As an awkward, anxious introvert, I could relate to a lot of what  I read. I appreciated the diverse cast of characters.

Recommended for any reader who would enjoy contemplating emotions in a comic format. For some topics, I'd argue a graphic novel or comic format is the best medium for relating certain stories. This book works really well.

Thanks to NetGalley and Adams Media for the digital review copy provided in exchange for a review.
A great follow up to the author’s book Introvert Doodles.  I really like that this delves into all the complex emotions we have. Many of her comics are relatable and funny. It can be really nice to see your own feelings or similar life situations drawn out. It makes you feel seen and not alone!

The only reason it wasn’t a complete 5 stars is because the premise got slightly repetitive, but not enough to make me feel like the subject was exhausted. Would recommend for those in the mood for some light, easy comics!
Marzi's comics are legendary. I like following her on Instragram and enjoyed every chapter in this book. The pictures and stories reflect so many aspects of my own introvert life.
4.5 stars ⭐

"I've never been one to talk much... I'm a quiet person, and most of the time, I'm okay with that. But sometimes... I really wish I knew what to say..."

I loved this comic so much
Thank you to Adams Media and NetGalley for the e-ARC to read and review.

The title is very apt to what is described and visualized in this book. I found what I was reading and seeing very relabtable in actions and reactions, which made for a very endearing yet introspective read. Some of the things in it were so scarily accurate. It's almost like the author and I are long lost twins - spooky!

I love how the drawings are just okay. I think the simplicity embellishes the author's intent. "Okay" is such a simple, short word. Two-syllables. But the author describes all the emotions that can be packed within words like "okay" and "fine."

This was a good read and I'd definitely recommend it to others who may be struggling but also for enjoyment.
*sighs* Well, I was really excited for this book (even tweeted my delight about it on social media), but maybe it is just not the right time (though I have tried reading it on various times) or maybe it is something else, I just wasn't a fan of the comics this time, the text at the start of each chapter became a chore to read. But I couldn't get through this book. We just didn't click. While I did LOVE the other book to bits! I am just sad that I didn't like this book as much.

So thanks for allowing me to read this book, and sorry I couldn't finish it.
I have to rate this one though I don't want to, but that is what Netgalley wants. Sorry again. :(
3.5 Stars

I think this would be a great book for kids, especially introverted children, to help them identify and understand theirs and others' feelings. But this is also a book adults can relate too as well. Each chapter discusses a particular emotion (from anticipation to anger to joy and more) and the accompanying pictures not only detail the emotions, they'll put a smile on your face. If you are a fan of Marzi's Instagram page, you will adore this book.

I received an advanced copy through Netgalley in return for an honest review.
It's ok, to be not ok.

There are certain feelings that we have been taught to hide.
When someone asks you how you are, you say fine. You don't tell them you're feelings anxious, or sad, you say fine and move on.
Marzi Wilson shows you is ok and normal to feel something other than "fine" and highlights them in adorable drawings that many people can relate to.