Beautiful, Complicated Family

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 25 Dec 2019

I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.   Thank you NetGalley..

This was my first book by this author.
this is the second book in a series of short story collections.    I'm a fan of short stories for a variety of reasons, and this book was definitely worth the read.   The stories are unique and kept my interest.
This was a nice change of pace from longer story formats. I appreciate the author's attention to detail in these short and sweet stories. I'm just a "big books" kind of girl!
Beautiful, Complicated Family is a splendid collection of flash fiction; five short stories that really pack a lot of punch and will really giver readers cause to think. The stories take you through a range of circumstances and emotions – some will make you laugh, and some will make you well up with tears. Stories covering love, loss and heartbreak; they are all wonderfully written, so good you will wish they were longer reads.

I’m not used to quick, short reads but this was an ideal introduction and will now be something I will seek more of, especially at Rosey’s hand.
The author gifted me both volumes of Beautiful, Complicated Family in exchange for an honest review. I'm not usually a fan of uplifting stories but I did enjoy these and they worked well as Flash fiction. Each one has a great twist at the end and the author has a strong grasp of the complexities of family relationships. A couple could have had more character development, however generally they were great short reads to lift you up over a cup of tea.

You can read my full review here:
Earlier this year, I was approached by author Rosey Lee about reading and reviewing her upcoming fast fiction novels: Beautiful, Complicated Family, volumes 1 and 2. I enjoy helping new authors, especially authors of color get exposure, so I eagerly agreed.

Volume 1 is 33 pages, and Volume 2 is 29 pages. I had never read the fast fiction genre until reviewing these books. Fast fiction is just what it indicates ... fast. Both books could probably be read in an hour or less by a dedicated reader. However, because of the short and fast-paced nature of the books and the short stories contained within them, the reader should not mistake this for light content. Rosey Lee tackles tough topics that we might all find familiar being part of complicated, and maybe even dysfunctional, families. Her writing style is quick but engaging and the stories leave you thinking and wanting more from the characters.

I have to say that is probably my main criticism with these compilations. They are just a little too short for me. Rosey Lee teases the reader with some intriguing content and just when I was getting invested, the stories abruptly ended. I'd love to see the author flesh out some of these stories in to full fledge novels. I think the characters deserve that, and I definitely think Rosey Lee has the talent to write a more traditional-sized novel.

Recommendation: With such a short bit of content, my review is also short. I definitely think the books are worth the read, and I hope to see more from this author in the future. If you have an hour or so of free time, why not download the books ... for free ... using the "buy now" links below. Until next time ... Read on!

Thanks to Fiction Physician, LLC and Netgalley for the advance readers copy of these books. Regardless of whether I purchase a book, borrow a book, or receive a book in exchange for review, my ultimate goal is to be honest, fair, and constructive. I hope you've found this review helpful.
The second volume of Beautiful, Complicated Family does not disappoint. Once more, the author manages to pack so much drama and emotion into such tiny stories.  Each story is unique, but I was pleased to see that the second book included some references to the first volume. The structure for the piece, "The Friendship PIP," was particularly clever.

It is clear that the author has put much thought and consideration into each piece. My favorite piece in this collection was, "Blossom in the Snow," which is full of hope and inspiration. The ending of the volume was a complete surprise to me, and I reread it multiple times.  I'm so impressed that the author managed to take the reader on such an exciting journey in so few words. In the end, both volumes left me with a happy and warm feeling inside my heart. My only complaint is that the books were not longer. I would like to see a complete novel or memoir written by this author and I look forward to seeing what she writes next! I highly recommend both volumes.

Note: I received a free copy of each of these books in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Flash Fiction is new to me. The definition is that its fiction of a type characterized by being very short, typically consisting of only a few hundred words. I normally read novels along with a few novellas but I found flash fiction very enjoyable.

All of these stories are quick reads some of them will make you laugh out loud and some will bring tears to your eyes. I highly recommend these flash fiction stories for you to read when you don't have a lot of time. I'll definitely search for more of these types of stories.
This was a lovely selection of short stories about the dynamics of family life and the varied relationships people may have with their families. With stories about illness, making decisions and changes in relationships each story made me grateful for the people around me and caused me to consider my own relationships.
In this edition of Beautiful Complicated Family, we go even further on the relationships of family of heartbreak and new love. Each story can be read in a short amount of time and it will leave you wanting more. I will say this though, that having that continuation of a story that started in vol. 1 was just perfect and totally should be a book of it's own! The only bad thing about this book is the simple fact that each story is good in it's own way and I could see great things coming from this Author in the future!

Thank You to Rosey Lee for this second volume of stories that is perfect for any kind of reader!

I voluntarily reviewed this book from NetGalley!
Short but sweet stories. I like it.
All the stories made my smile in some way.

Thank you NetGalley and Rosey Lee for this lovely arc.
These were short stories that I enjoyed reading on my lunch break a few days this week.  They were written well and really made you think about the relationships in your life.  I enjoyed this one better than the first volume, but they were both good.
My feeling about these books has not changed! This collection of flash fictions is truly amazing!

Hiding Spots: The tale of newly-engaged in which the woman finds out her fiancee Chad is need of mental health attention and she supports him when she finds out about it. This touched my heart! Blossom In The Snow: The tale of a woman, Jelena and her life after her aunt's death. This one ends remarkably! The Friendship PIP: Obviously, my favourite one in this collection and the tale which is an email by a girl, Ada to her best friend, Lesley about the trials in their friendship due to Lesley marrying Ada's dad. Christmas Eve Dinner: A tale of an orphan girl whose family always loved Christmas which ends most gracefully! A Dress Rehearsal: A tale in which two women bloom a new friendship while one of them knows the truth about another.

Every story in the series showed strong women and women who have dominant traits of true feminity: love, hope, acceptance, compassion and confidence. I loved these two collections and I hope to read more by Rosey Lee! She has true magic in her hands in weaving words and a women's fiction by her and you already see me buying it!

Recommended: Every woman and anyone looking for a light read!
I enjoyed the second installment of flash fiction from Rosey Lee. I was happily surprised there was a follow-up story from the first collection. Recommend to all looking for a quick, enjoyable read!
Volume 2 was slightly better than the first. Blossom in the Snow, Christmas Eve Dinner, & A Dress Rehearsal were ok but I've decided flash fiction just isn't for me. I do think that it makes for a good read in places like waiting rooms tho.
I had not read the first book in this series act was pleasantly surprised.  Each self-contained flash fiction story was well written  lean and delightful.  Recommended!
Beautiful, Complicated Family are a collection of Flash Fiction works by Rosey Lee; I'm fairly new to flash fiction but as the name suggests they're extremely short and you get a very slim snippet of the characters and story.  The description suggests you can read each story in around 5 minutes, obviously that depends on your reading speed but it was right for me.

While short in length these stories give you plenty to think about; not a sentence gets wasted in flash fiction, its all in there for a reason so there's no getting annoyed at filler content or whimsical descriptions. If you're someone who has very little spare time but still wants to get a bit of reading in these would be absolutely perfect as you can read them in the time it takes to have a cup of tea and I actually think these are enjoyed more as individual stories rather than trying to blast through the entire volume in 20mins to give your mind a little time to let the characters and their situations settle slightly before moving onto the next one.

From Volume Two my favourite was 'The Friendship PIP' which follows on some characters we met in Volume One so while its not too vital that you read them in order I'd recommend you do if only for that.
A couple and his sick mother.
A devoted aunt and her niece.
A revisit from the two best friends from Vol 1 - on a new path.
A pastor's daughter and the congregation.
An innocent, unplanned meeting of past and present.

Another five bite-sized stories that leave you with a glow in the heart - a hug with words.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for allowing me the chance to read this book.
It is a joy to find a really good book of short stories.  Each of the five stories is quite short (flash fiction), only a few pages long.  The stories are about relationships and families. Many stories are medically related, as the author is a physician.  Some stories were very touching, and others made me smile.  This is volume two of two volumes, and they are absolute gems!  I would love to read more from this author!
I liked this one more than the first volume I think. Fans of Flash Fiction will like this, the writing style is enjoyable and the stories are good. I just want more substance.
Beautiful, Complicated Family Vol 2 by Rosey Lee is the second addition to this charming series of 'fast fiction' stories.  Having read the first volume, I was anxious to continue the journey, and found that I was just as intrigued by this wonderful encore.

Each story can be read in mere minutes, but should be savoured and absorbed at leisure.  This is another beautiful collection about the uniquely special bond that is shared by families, and the themes are truly universal.  These quick reads will not only resonate, but will linger and beg reflection long after the pages have been turned.

Many thanks to NetGalley, BooksGoSocial, and Rosey Lee for the opportunity to read and review this series.