Cover Image: She Died Famous

She Died Famous

I received this ARC book from Netgalley for honest Review.
What a great thrill and suspense it was to read. What a great psychological thrill! This novel had everything in it. The thrill, the suspense, the psychological, and the twist is crazy. This novel will keep you thinking and guessing. When you think you right, well let me just say that you might be wrong. This had me all over the place. My heart beating so fast! I couldn't believe what I was reading. If had me in shock. Every page, every chapter was a page turner. I couldn't believe my eyes what I was reading. I highly recommend everybody get this book and read it. It will surprise you in every way. The storyline was very good! The theme and setting was well put together. The characters was well put together in the story. This story will have in a rollercoaster with all the spooky and secrets. Was so well put in the story. Everything all in one book. It was just perfect! I highly recommend everybody get this and read it. What a great read! This had me hooked from the beginning. What a Rollercoaster! The sitting, theme, and the Characters had me pulled so in. Everything was well put together and it was just perfect. This novel would have you guess and thinking all the way to the end. What a great thrill and suspense. I love a great suspense that would have me think and guessing. This novel did just that to me. To the point that am wrong. When the ending comes am on shock. I wouldn't of never believe or guess. Like OMG! Highly recommend everybody get this book and read it. Its so good! Can't wait for her next book.
4.5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐💫
 #netgallery
I had high hopes for this book! Unfortunately I just could not get into it. The synopsis grabbed me but unfortunately the story didn’t.
This book and I did not get on. Here are a few reasons why:

The opening jumped from blog, to CNN advert, to newspaper articles, to some Twitter posts and so on. I am still yet to read a book that does this whole modern social media news integrated into a story well.

The characters are unlikeable for various reasons, such as: There is too much going on in their drug induced heads - at times I felt like I was reading ‘Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas’ again! I found reading what Kelly Trozzo was saying to her ‘KTroops’, both online and at a concert, was tedious  and borderline comical.

The whole Greek Mythology theme running through the book. I felt this was strange and the fact it became a huge point through the warped mind of superstar Kelly Trozzo was just annoying.

I do not like giving poor reviews but in my honest opinion I would not recommend this book and be giving it 1 star out of 5.
The writing of this book was good, I just found it to be too slow going for me to enjoy it. Unfortunately not a book for me.
"You think I'm a monster, don't you?" The detective was right...I was...I am...a a monster. I am capable of terrible things.
She Died Famous by author Kyle Rutkin is written in a creative format for a thriller about an unsolved murder. This book is not what the blurbs advertised. As I attempted to read this compilation of confused thoughts, drug dreams, and dark imaginings, I felt dirty and repulsed. The CONTENT is NOT creative, interesting, nor does it answer the question of the murder.
So in the words of the author, " The truth wasn't that simple. My characters are products of my past.", I hope this is not true for the author, Kyle Rutkin. The book is not an interesting work,  but dark ramblings. I could not read all of the book, and I do not consider it a psychological thriller.
Thank you to NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book.
The cover and premise of this book are what drew me in.
This author had quite a great premise for a book- a Hollywood starlet gets murdered along with her manager and her ex-lover is the one who holds all the clues to her death. However, the execution was poor.

The only good thing I have to say about this book is that I liked the format in which it was told. We have a blend of blog posts, police interviews, and magazine interviews, all of different perspectives. It was an enjoyable and highly readable format.

Now for the things I didn’t like about this book:

The writing- it was like reading a highly edited fanfic. Clunky, cliche, and at times difficult to discern which character point of view we were reading from.

The characters- stereotypical and annoying rich brats.
Kaleb has had a bit of a rough life that's lead him down a dark tunnel of drug abuse, anger issues, and obsessive and stalker-like behavior. He wrote a book of fiction that was more based on fact about a relationship he had with a married woman who was being abused by her husband, in which he thought it was his duty to protect her, so her proceeds to stalk her and try to force a romantic relationship (which is what eventually happens).

Kelly, this huge tv/pop star (think Miley Cyrus) read this book, becomes obsessed with it, arranges to meet Kaleb, has a sexual relationship with and ropes him into writing her life’s story.
Both have major drug abuse and mental health issues, they are selfish, toxic, horribly annoying people and easily the most unlikeable characters I’ve read about in a long time.
Kelly posts all this fake positivity inspiring bullshit to her fans, which she calls the #KTroops (eye roll), dubbing them as her “army’. She spouts all this crap about her ‘craft’ and the art of it all while intertwining one of her favorite stories from Greek mythology as her inspiration.
She comes off as a crazy full of herself cult-like leader (reminds me of Charles Manson). It’s also notable that one of her ‘friends’ in the book remarked on how Kelly craved the abuse from partners and people in her life. I thought that was super strange and felt like a romanticization of domestic abuse.
Kaleb is just as horrible. He’s also very selfish, never thinks of others, is quite misogynistic towards women, very possessive, has no idea he’s being strung along, and has no boundaries at all and feels like he always has to save the women in his life.

The sex scenes in this book are horrid (sex while so drugged up none of them could really consent.)  Kaleb “wants” Kelly and she knows this. He is constantly fixated on her body, staring at “the way her ass jiggles and bounces as she walks up the stairs”, getting an erection as he stares at her ass while she walks away, noting how she doesn’t wear much make-up like other girls in Hollywood, is always so effortlessly pretty. He talks about how he undresses her with his mind and how he wants to be inside her- and as if Kelly was reading his mind he gets what he wants. I will not repeat the sex scenes here, I skipped most of them. The majority of these parts felt like Kelly was the typical manic pixie dream girl with substance abuse and mental health problems, and was the perfect male fantasy ripe for the taking and ready to serve Kaleb.
There is also a scene in which Kelly has a breakdown on stage while so drugged up she passes out. Kaleb takes her back to the hotel where they proceed to do the deed again after her huge meltdown. Very uncomfortable to read as it felt like no consent was taking place and Kaleb was taking advantage of her in a very vulnerable moment.

I think its safe to say that this is all around a bit of a trash book. I thought at some point it would get better, but it just didn’t?
The mystery around Kelly’s death and the events surrounding it were all very predictable. Quite disappointed and just mad that I wasted my time on this one.

2 stars.

**ARC Provided by Greater Path LLC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Wow! Where do I begin? I finished this in about 2 hours. The writing style was so captivating. This book needs more people reading it. The characters in this book felt like they were real. I found myself wanting to look the actor up on the internet. This kept me on the edge of my seat, biting my nails. Fast paced thriller with a unique writing style. THIS STORY IS SO GOOD. PLEASE DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND BUY A COPY!!
This book was fine, Its not usually what I tend to read but I had heard good things about it so I thought I would give it a try, I liked the format it was written in, with the blogs, news headlines, and t.v. interviews but It just didn't draw me in like I hoped it would.
dark, edgy, and completely captivating. It is a story of not only betrayal and vengeance, but one of obsession, darkness, and the price you pay for fame. It is also a story of handling your inner demons and how every single one of us are dealing with our own wounds. The story itself kept me guessing all the way until the end because I spent the entire book having no idea who killed Kelly Trozzo. This was so fantastic because so many books can be predictable
Review: 5 Stars

I picked up an ARC of She Died Famous a couple months ago, mainly because the title and cover had intrigued me. But I was on a fantasy kick so I didn’t pick this book up for a while and it came back across my radar last week when looking for books for Top 5 Saturday’s topic, unreliable narrators. (Check out last week’s Top 5 Saturday post here!) Something about this book just drew me to it. I don’t know what I really expected, but what I got was a raw, and twisted read that kept me on the edge of my seat. She Died Famous is one of those books that I know will stick with me for a long time. I could relate to each character in the story even if I couldn’t relate to celebrity life I could relate to the humanity in each of the characters.

I don’t think I’ve ever read anything quite like She Died Famous. It was so dark, gritty and authentic. It was really twisted and full of sick, flawed characters. But there was truth in this story. There was love in this book, even if it was a dark and messy love. The story took you into the mind of a stalker who had mental illness and a drug addiction and made you understand him and even empathize with him. I was able to relate to these incredibly flawed characters while they battled their darkest demons. Kelly, Kaleb and Sara battled abuse, trauma, loss, mental illness and drug addiction. While this novel was quite the thriller and filled with suspense it was also a story about human suffering. She Died Famous really got into my head and I don’t think that I will forget it anytime soon.

Kyle Rutkin did a fantastic job of creating a celebrity character that felt larger than life and he also made a fantastic choice to write in first person from Kaleb’s perspective. Through his obsession I started to feel obsessed with Kelly myself. Through Kyle Rutkin’s writing his characters shined so bright, but they also cast giant shadows that they drowned themselves in. She Died Famous is probably one of the best portrayals of drug addiction and mental illness that I’ve ever read. This book is dark, but it is fantastic.

I really loved the way that the story is told. Through interviews, news articles, blog posts and flashbacks the reader is told the events leading up to Kelly’s death. Reading the story as it was told in this way made me feel like a fan following the story of Kelly’s death. Each character’s perspective couldn’t be trusted. Some of the characters were mentally ill or suffered from drug addiction, viewed the same event drastically different from one another and some of the characters just flat out lied. It made the story so interesting because the whole time I was trying to find the truth underneath it all and I desperately wanted to know what happened. The suspense was built up so well and the climax of the book hit hard.

Honestly, I don’t think I will ever read anything quite like this book again. She Died Famous is truly a work of art that captured pain, love and hope in the most twisted way possible. If you enjoy gritty books, suspenseful thrillers or psychological stories I beg you to give this book a shot. You will not be disappointed.
Kelly is a child actor with a blossoming career but is riddled with obstacles including a suicide attempt.
Kelly becomes enthralled with a book written by an author, Kaleb. She quickly becomes obsessed with Kaleb and wants him to tell her life story.
I honestly don’t know how to describe this book as it is extremely unique and is written in a way I’ve never seen. The chapters include Kelly being interviewed by a media outlet, Kaleb writing in a blog and transcripts of Kelly’s friends being interviewed about her death by police.
I really enjoyed reading the book and had trouble putting it down. I’m still not entirely clear on who committed the murder but this didn’t bother me. I think the story was fascinating and Kaleb reminded me of a character in a Hunter S. Thompson book. I think it’s worth checking out.
A thought provoking, jaw dropping psychological thriller that looks at the world of celebrities and fans. It's an intriguing and well thought out plot that keeps you guessing with all it's twists and turns.
It is a book like no other, I enjoyed the suspence. I would ask myself how did she die famous and not only does the book explains how she died famous, but the book itself has made her famous. kelly trozzo had lots of secrets and for being famous I surely didn't know about her until I read this book and knowing the primary suspect is the one who was writing her memoir. Unbelivable story and is a real page turner. All in all she died famous and others close to her became famous in a bad way.
Lady Gaga, Lindsay Lohan, Britney Spears. These are just some of the celebrities that came to mind while reading this story. She Died Famous celebrates the dark and twisted side of celebrity. This is all for the cameras and the Instagram posts and juicy gossip sites like TMZ.

Kaleb is hired to write a book about Kelly Trozzo after she reads his novel and sees him at his book signing. Kelly came up in the scene as a child actor and singer. She has a huge following called the KTroops who scream and fawn over her every move. Kelly tells Kaleb that she will make him fall in love with her and then break his heart.

This book begins when Kelly is found dead on her driveway and her manager is dead on the property as well. Told through interviews and blog posts and in a non linear timeline, readers will see how this format fits the theme of the book.  There are three plot lines going at the same time. Don’t look for likeable characters, there aren’t any. In fact, the characters are so over the top that I found myself enraged at times. Like any car accident, it’s hard to look away.

I most enjoyed Kaleb’s personal story within the story. It was the only one that had some heart and redeeming qualities. This book won’t be for everyone but if you follow celebrity gossip and like the above-mentioned celebrities then this might be the book for you.

Thank you to @netgalley and @thegreaterpath publishing for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I had high hopes for this book. The premise sounded SO intriguing, but ultimately the book fell short. First, the characters aren’t even remotely likable. There’s a gratuitous amount of sex, drugs and weird Greek mythology interludes, but it all felt like overkill.  I found myself slogging through this novel despite it being a fast read. IMO? Pass.
I attempted to read this on several occasions and simply could not get into it. DNF at 27% as it didn't interest me. Not my cup of tea.
She Died Famous is a fascinating book exploring the dark side of fame, obsession, love, and even a little hope. I don’t know if saying that I liked the story is exactly accurate. I enjoyed reading it. I was fascinated by it. I was intrigued and disturbed. I couldn’t put it down. I think this only trouble I had with it was a few small parts where I had trouble following what was real and who was who, though some of that fits right into the story. I love that it was told through blog posts and interviews. The format was perfect for creating an atmosphere of uncertainty. The characters were not likeable, but were in the important ways relatable. I am sure I will get even more out of this as I think on it more. I will happily look for more from this author.

Many thanks to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for the copy in exchange for an honest review.
2.5 STARS

"Set in Hollywood, She Died Famous is an innovative thriller that exposes the dark side of fame and obsession in today’s digital landscape. The story’s shocking twists and unreliable narrator will have every reader asking: Who killed Kelly Trozzo? "

I am really torn on how to rate and review this. There were parts that I really enjoyed and parts that I ....didn't.  The synopsis of this book sounded so intriguing - a Hollywood star murdered after an obsession relationship with an author....who writes an online confession? AND it's told through blog posts, news articles and police interviews? Count me in!

Unfortunately I found the execution of the story a big lack lustre and even tedious at parts. There were several chapters that I skimmed (but only so I could get back to the parts that convinced me to keep reading!) I immediately disliked both Kaleb and Kelly (neither had many redeeming qualities) and I found Kaleb's drug induced psychotic narrative hard to follow at times. I'm not even quite sure I "got" the ending either. However, there was enough substance to the story to keep me reading until the end. So I guess that's something?

Thank you to Netgalley, the author and publisher for this digital copy! All views are my own.
First Id like to thank @netgalley and Publisher @thegreaterpath for a copy to review
💛
Thanks to author @kmrutkin for an incredibly wild read, diving deep into the dark side of fame in today’s digital world.
🖤
Dark and damaged are two words that come to mind while reading this novel. Told from a combination of news headlines, blogs and interviews made me feel like I was following a true Hollywood crime story.  Narrators are unreliable, fame obsessed ... I was wondering WTH was going on the entire read ?!? Which was a good thing!
💛
Characters are all damaged in a web of popularity obsessed behaviour.   A trip into the minds of tormented characters all wanting fame and seemingly able to do anything, even murder, to rise to the top.
🖤
𝐒𝐘𝐍𝐎𝐏𝐒𝐈𝐒
A Psychological Thriller about iconic signer, Kelly Trozzo, and her suspected killer. A love story with an unforgettable conclusion that really makes you go “huh”?  (I reread the ending a couple times and discussed with fellow reviewers to help me get a grip on what had happened). With no suspects in custody, authorities turn their attention to author Kaleb Reed, whose obsessive relationship with Kelly has been followed by social media. From his online confession, his agreement to write Kelly’s memoir and his twisted story of betrayal and revenge all eyes are on him.  But did he really kill her?
💛
Triggers ~ sex, drugs, abuse, mental health
This was a trainwreck of a book and I mean this in the best possible way!  You can't look away, just like reading the headlines of the tabloids in the checkout lines.  Pop-star Kelly Trozzo and her manager are found dead in her mansion.  Who killed them?  Blogger/stalker Kaleb Reed is the most likely suspect.  The story unfolds through blog posts, news articles and interviews. This is a strange way of telling a story and I did have to get used to it but it was very effective, especially considering the characters and subject matter. A warm and fuzzy story, this is not, but I highly recommend it!

Thank you to NetGalley, Kyle Rutkin and Greater Path LLC for this ARC!