Cover Image: The Algonquin Reader: Fall 2019

The Algonquin Reader: Fall 2019

This Fall 2019 issue of Algonquin Reader features original essays of fictional writers and excerpts from their (then)new novels. The excerpts are short and gives you a tiny glimpse of what their book is about. I connected a lot with Gabriel Bump’s piece so I’m going to check it out. And Chrissy Van Meter’s essay about her father was magical and I really liked excerpt from her novel, Creatures, so that’s on my list as well.

If you’d like to read this issue, you can download them for free from the website of Algonquin Books. They have this issue along with the issues before and after this one.

Thank you @netgalley and @algonquinbooks for a copy for an honest review.
This is a diverse collection of essays and their coinciding book excerpts. Crissy Van Meter’s “The Green Flash” stands out as a favorite, for me: about the luck of spotting that rare green flash as the sun goes down, a metaphor in and of itself. It’s a beautiful essay reflecting on memory and the mythology of love. About feeling in your bones the need to recapture the magic of a moment you won’t be able to repeat, and realizing it’s everywhere you remember it was. I loved this work and want to read her excerpted novel “Creatures”, now! I also enjoyed the introduction to Larry Brown’s work: he writes from such a place of love so grounded in reality that you can see his character standing outside the deli on the street corner in your grandparents’ era. This was a nice little peek at some new-to-me writers!
I received a free digital copy in exchange for a honest review.

This is a wonderful introduction to authors who are new to me.

The collection gives us a brief glimpse of what these books are all about.
Thank you NetGalley and Algonquin Books for the chance to read these excerpts!

The idea of essays accompanying fiction excerpts is interesting, though I found in this case that I preferred the fiction to speak for itself. I actually found myself disappointed learning that, for example, WHO ARE YOU CALVIN BLEDSOE features a man who blogs about pellet stoves, with a mother who writes about John Calvin, because the author heard some guy talk about pellet stoves and some theologian talk about John Calvin. The essays felt like they gave away too much about the fiction excerpt that followed. Conversely, in the case of Larry Brown, the letter preceding the excerpt meant nothing to me because I have no idea who Larry Brown is.

This particular reader did not work for me, but I appreciate the chance to read it.
I adore Algonquin’s collections and this one is another winner! Includes excerpts from new novels, essays from the authors, and a funny touching letter from the late Larry Brown, along with an excerpt from an anthology of his stories.

5 of 5 Stars

Pub Date 06 Aug 2019

Thanks to the authors, Algonquin Books, and NetGalley for the review copy. Opinions are mine.

#TheAlgonquinReaderFall2019 #NetGalley
The Algonquin Reader is a publication not to be missed.

If you want to be informed about the best books coming up in any season, you need to read THE ALGONQUIN READER.

I highly recommend this magazine and thoroughly enjoyed the excerpts within.

5 OUT OF 5 STARS ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
I received this book from the publisher through Netgalley for review and all thoughts and opinions are my own.
Algonquin Reader is a seasonal collection of essays and excerpts from upcoming books. Authors are well represented by this small volume. I recommend this to readers wanting a little background and insight into beloved writers.
I received a complimentary review copy of The Algonquin Reader: Fall 2019 from NetGalley.

The first page describes what's in this issue, with a brief paragraph introducing each author and what their content is about. There is a total of 4 book exceprts and 4 essays included. I really enjoyed being able to preview enough of the book to know whether I'd be interested enough to read the whole thing. What makes this sampler really unique is that there is an essay before each novel excerpt.
I love the Algonquin Reader, and the snippets provided never disappoint.  Thanks for this early look, and for introducing me to the magic of Crissy Van Meter.
As always, the Algonquin Readers are an invaluable source for anyone itching to find something new to read - they give you a variety of stories, and I always end up checking out at least 2 or 3 from my library (and often I'll even purchase my own copy!). Such a useful way to find your next favorite book!
Excellent guide for readers.Algonquin publishes so many wonderful books here’s a list to choose from.#netgalley#algonquin
I read the fall 2019 edition but couldn't find it on goodreads so ya reviewing on the spring one. This is a compilation of essays from books that are going to be published. I really enjoyed the excerpts/essays, infact they didn't even sound like an excerpt but short stories. So yeah.
I love the privilege of to reading excerpts from new books! I am always on the lookout for a good read and appreciate the opportunity to preview new authors or catch up with my favorites.
For some reason, this particular installment strikes me as being shorter than usual. Regardless, I must, once again, state my unequivocal love for Algonquin's choice of layout - author essay followed by an excerpt from their book. In my last review of an Algonquin Reader, I stated that the author essay is often enough to sell me on reading the book because it says so much about the "source" of the material. However, this time it was different. There was an author whose letter alone would never have gotten me to read their work, but the excerpt had me in the first few sentences. Another reason why their approach is absolutely tremendous.
I adore these editions. Since 90 percent of my reading includes newly published or upcoming literary works, I am always on the lookout fo what’s coming up and I appreciate being able to read short nonfiction pieces by authors I am excited to read. I luckily have a copy of Crissy Van Meter’s, Creatures, but have now added a couple of the other authors to my list of books to check out. Thank you for taking the time to create these readers..
Loved reading excerpts from these exciting titles! It's the first time I've downloaded this reader, and it definitely gives you something to look forward to.
I love the Algonquin Reader and look forward to the preview for upcoming books and want to read them all! This series was no exception. What a wonderful collection.
Interesting magazine with snippets from many authors. There really isn't anything to review though, so not sure what else
This was such an amazing read that I couldn’t put it down. It went everywhere with me. To the doctors office, the dentist, the eye doctor. IT WENT ABSOLUTELY EVERYWHERE. I was so sad when it ended that I immediately went and bought more books from this author!
I want to thank net galley and the publisher for the chance at reading this arc in an exchange for an honest review.
I love the chance at getting to read many new and up and coming writers that I may have never got the chance to read from if it wasn’t for this book. The essays were all so different and full of different writing styles. I never really read things that are out of my reading comfort zones, but after reading all of these essays I will have to go out and read more from these amazing authors.
I really enjoyed Crissy Van Meter’s writing style, it had so much emotions and the pacing was done really well. Her essay, The Green Flash, and her story, Creatures were some of my favorites out of the whole book.