Take Me Apart

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 28 Apr 2020

Great debut novel. I wished a few things had been more closely examined or revisited, but overall an exciting read.
I can't say enough about how much I loved this book. What an amazing debut. Deep psychological insight and gorgeous writing. There was so much to admire from a feminist perspective as well. The ending in particular is very satisfying!
Told in alternating chapters of the main character and the object of her growing obsession, Take Me Apart was a well-paced, beautifully written and engaging psychological thriller from an author whose works I'll be on look-out for.
My only complaint about this book is that it's the author's first and, therefore, currently only - I was hoping to dive into another immediately.
Thank you to Macmillan for the ARC copy of this novel.
I did download a copy due to a travel issue, so thank you to NetGalley and Edelweiss as well.
#TakeMeApart
If you like B.A. Paris and Liv Constantine mystery reads then Take Me Apart will peak your interest. It is an adult mystery that has an unreliable narrator, who isn't really sure what she is getting into when so goes to take care of a famed photographer's possessions. It is a mystery that unfolds slowly with a heavy tension. I loved this one immensely that author felt like she'd been doing this forever and it's a debut! I look forward to more of her work.
Superspeed readers like me can read 150 - 200+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. LOL

A young archivist’s obsession with her subject’s mysterious death threatens to destroy her fragile grasp on sanity, in a riveting debut novel of psychological suspense

When the famed photographer Miranda Brand died mysteriously at the height of her career, it sent shock waves through Callinas, California. Decades later, old wounds are reopened when her son, Theo, hires the ex-journalist Kate Aitken to create an archive of his mother’s work.

From Miranda’s vast maze of personal effects, Kate pieces together a portrait of a vibrant artist buckling under the pressures of ambition, motherhood, and marriage. As the summer progresses, Kate navigates vicious local rumours and her growing attraction to the enigmatic Theo, all while unearthing the shocking details of Miranda’s private life. But Kate has secrets of her own, and when she stumbles across a diary that may finally resolve the mystery of Miranda’s death, her curiosity starts to spiral into a dangerous obsession.

With breathtaking and haunting imagery, Take Me Apart paints a vivid picture of two magnetic young women, separated by years, but bonded by shared struggles. Sara Sligar draws readers into a web of secrets and lies, alternating between the present and the past and revealing the truth about Miranda’s death through the objects she left behind. A brilliant take on art, illness, and power, from a fresh, seductive new voice in suspense.

HOW ON EARTH CAN THIS BE A DEBUT NOVEL???? This novel was expertly crafted with a tense, tight mystery at its heart - a heart like an onion as there are so many layers to peel off.  The characters are fascinating and surprise after surprise awaits the reader as they work their way through the book and the characters' journies. The end was satisfying and I look forward to Miss Sligar's next novels, of which I assume that there will be many ... I hope that there are many, that is for sure!  Looking for a new author to love? She is your gal!

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "Social Influencer Millennials" on Instagram and Twitter) so let's give it 📷📷📷📷📷
Sara Sligar's TAKE ME APART, shines a powerful light on art, fame, motherhood and mental illness.  Kate has run from the bridges she left in flames in New York to her aunt and uncle's house in Callinas, California.  Although she is a journalist by trade, Kate is hired as the archivist for the photographs and papers of the late, great Miranda Brand, Callinas' most notorious resident.  Miranda was a star in the art world when she gave birth to her son, Theo.  the post-partum depression she suffered after the birth changed her forever.  Kate has had her own experience with mental illness and as she delved into Miranda's personal life, she becomes obsessed with proving that Miranda did not commit suicide, as the coroner thought, but was murdered.  But by whom?  TAKE ME APART thoroughly illustrates what women sacirfice to be taken seriously and they way they are frequently suppressed or controlled by now.  But TAKE ME APART is hardly a feminist anthem dressed up as a novel; it is literary fiction at its finest.  Beautifully written with realistic characters and a plot that pulls the reader in, TAKE ME APART is a fabulous read and one to share with others!