Cover Image: All the Stars and Teeth

All the Stars and Teeth

Even though I am scared of the ocean and deep water, I love books set on the high seas. All The Stars And Teeth by Adalyn Grace was right up my alley. This YA debut is a unique fantasy story about a princess who will do anything to save her kingdom. I simply ate this one up with a spoon – reading so quickly. I was unable to set this book down until I turned the last page. It was THAT compelling.

All The Stars And Teeth is about Amora Montara, Princess of Visidia. Amora has been raised to practice soul magic which is limited to the royal family as it is so dangerous. However, practicing it keeps the beast at bay and her people protected. Amora is is prepared to demonstrate her skill and be initiated into becoming High Animancer and eventually the ruler of Visidia. Unfortunately, she messes up her ceremony and is thrown in jail after. With the help of a pirate named Bastian, Amora is on her way throughout the kingdom comprised of different islands and magics to confront a threat to her kingdom and people as well as to prove she deserves to rule.

It’s hard to explain why but All The Stars And Teeth gave me Poison Study vibes. I think maybe it was the different magics that was why. Regardless, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with this book. As a matter of fact, I cannot wait to head back for the sequel. I will probably pick up anything Adalyn Grace writes from here on out. Amora’s journey and unraveling of the secrets surrounding her kingdom is excellent and well crafted. Each morsel is parceled out in a way that is not overwhelming but also not too slow.

I loved Amora’s romance with Bastian and the undeniable chemistry. Additionally, I loved Amora’s fiance, Ferrick. His magic and role are so well written. He has his own growth and development. Then there’s the mermaid, Vataea, who is so badass and different. The crew, aboard the Keel Haul, form a found family. Their interactions with each other show development of trust as time goes on. The characters really make this book. Also, the setting. The set up is that the kingdom of Visidia is comprised of multiple islands. On each island the people there practice one type of magic. If they were to try multiple magics, the beast would rise up and destroy Visidia. The setting and worldbuilding are immersive. Recommended if you’re in the mood to be transported to a magical island kingdom and really go on a journey.
This book completely took me by surprise! I loved the plot and the cast of characters! Can’t wait to read the next book! Definitely recommend this!
I really loved the premise of this book and was excited to read it, but I just found it to be a little bit...underwhelming. There were moments where I felt like I couldn't put the book down, and moments where I felt like the story dragged on a bit. There was also nothing that made it stand out to me amongst the hundreds of YA fantasy books I've read--which is not necessarily a bad thing. I think there are thousands of people out there who will pick this book up and enjoy it, but as someone who reads and reviews multiple YA books a year I think it's just fine.
You will definitely want to get this entire series asap. Yes, I say this and Ive only been introduced to the first book in this series. What a journey to take that you will not want to miss!!
Blood magic, pirates, mermaids adventure, sea monsters?? A ragtag crew?? Sure, there are some tropes in here, but I found this refreshing in its manner of taking no prisoners.
LOVED this book!!!!
Had everything I love in a book and more.
Loved the second installment too!

Thank you so much for allowing me to read and review your titles.
I do appreciate it and continue to review books that I get the chance to read.
Thanks again!
Initial Thoughts
I was super excited to read this book when it came out.  I actually came by the book in NetGalley before the sequel came out and was thrilled to review it here as well.

Some Things I Liked
Magic system.  I thought the magic system in this book was really unique and unlike anything I had seen before.  I also really liked how the magic tied into the world building.
Complex political plot.  Although the story centers around magic and a royal conspiracy, I also really enjoyed how the political landscape developed.
Morally grey main character.  Amara doesn't always make the best choices and she struggles at times to understand the motivations behind those choices.  I really loved her inner monologues where she weighed her decisions.

Series Value
I can't wait to keep reading this series.  I have really high hopes for the second book in the series as well as for Adalyn Grace as an author.  I love the way she writes characters and can't wait to see more from her in the future.

Final Thoughts
I really enjoyed this book.  I am excited for the sequel and can't wait to keep reading.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Recommended for fans of
Sea Witch by Sarah Henning
Cast in Firelight by Dana Swift
Set in the amazing world of Visidia, Amora is ready to show her subjects she's worthy of being their next High Animancer. But her test goes awry, causing her to be imprisoned. When an opportunity arises for Amora to escape, she does. Among the way, she and her new crew learn about what is happening in the kingdom and set out to right the wrongs.

I loved this book so so much. Amora is a headstrong young woman that just wants to take her rightful place. She's impulsive and inquisitive, and just a touch selfish. But as she grow through her trials and tribulations, Amora becomes worthy to lead her people.

Bastian is that cocky pirate you want to hate but can't. And as the story progresses we see his faults and his shame, making Amora and the readers love him that much more. There are so many more characters I could explain and I enjoyed them all.

The journey they go on is one of learning and war prevention. Amora sees the lack of support her father has given some of the islands, and promises to fix it. She also learn more about her family's soul magic, along with the other magics purple have. In the end, war still comes no matter how much she tried to stop it.

I feel so bad that it took me forever to read this, but I absolutely can't wait for more.
First of all, I want to comment on how gorgeous the cover of this book is. Absolutely one of my favorite covers!  It really makes you want to find out more about this book!  Actually, the cover is what first drew my attention to this book and I'm so glad it did! In this story, we follow Amora, the princess of Visidia, and the next ruler of her kingdom.  She just has to master a magic that only her bloodline possess.  But, when her test doesn't go as planned, she flees with a handsome pirate named Bastian, who is more than what he seems. Yet, she has no choice but to trust him if she wants to return to her kingdom with a second chance.  Unfortunately, her fiancé (through an arranged marriage) stows away on the ship as well and the three of them are off on a nearly impossible mission that will help Amora regain her kingdom and Bastian regain is lost magic. However, to achieve their goals they have to face a man who has the power and the army to challenge Amora's father and bring their kingdom down.  With the help of a mermaid, this unlikely crew finds themselves not only in the battle of their lives, but for the lives of everyone in all of the islands within the kingdom.

You will find great storytelling and top-notch writing in this YA fantasy.  There is a romance, but is not the center focus of the book.  However, it is nicely woven into the story-line and there is no insta-love between the characters. All the characters are well developed with their own unique personalities. You will definitely enjoy the adventure and death-defying experiences of Amora and her crew.

All the Stars and Teeth is a fun, yet dark YA fantasy that is very well written, refreshingly original and definitely action-packed.  Filled with adventure, romance, strong lead characters, and a high-stakes quest that will take you to the edge and back.  A great debut and looking forward to reading the next book!
Amara is set to be the next ruler but she doesn’t pass the test in front of her father or the people of the kingdom that are watching. She’s imprisoned but escapes with Bastian, a mysterious pirate. Amara’s fiancé Ferrick travels with them also. They’re trying to figure out how to stop Kaven. He’s become a ruthless leader and vows to conquer Amara’s father. Along the way, the three of them meet a mermaid and help her escape her servitude and she willingly helps the crew of rebels. They reach Kaven and see firsthand what his rule has cost his people. Amara touches a cursed dagger and sees the memory of what truly happened to the magic so many years ago. The truth could crush her father’s rule. When Amara and her crew return home, they find it under a vicious attack. They jump into the fight and have to do some quick thinking if they’re going to survive. I love the main characters and the development they underwent throughout this book. Amara, Bastian, Ferrick and Vataea are strong, brave and have great loyalty and integrity. I enjoyed the section on Sira’s memory and how it adds a twist to everything Amara and her kingdom know. A grand adventure, 5 stars!
ARC received from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book is taking me a year to review because I am so torn on it. I had to literally check this book out from work three times every time trying to read it only to put it down before it stuck with me. I think about the time it hit the 50% mark I was finally able to sit down with the book and fully feel apart of the story. The main character just had so little growth until the end of the book that it took me a while to warm up to her. Thankfully, I feel like her love interest had enough depth to him that I felt that connection to him which kept me reading. Then the mermaid showed up and man I really love her. I am going to give the second book a try mainly because I want to see where the story goes from here with the hope that the plot and the characters pick up and continue growing.
I really loved the premise of this one, but unfortunately, I never felt truly invested in the story or characters. The pacing was very slow and though I understand a great deal of world building has to occur, it just made the story feel very bogged down. The detailed descriptions of clothing was especially distracting to me. The plot was fairly predictable and I didn't feel like the romance between Amora and Bastian added anything to the story. It felt too forced and the final confrontation in the book felt a bit anticlimactic after all of the build up. The book does end with a cliffhanger, but it doesn't leave the reader hanging.

The narration by Shayna Small was overall fine, but I found her male voices to be very underwhelming. Her attempt to make them distinct worked, but it unfortunately made them almost comical and over the top. I'm not sure if I would have enjoyed this one more if I had just read it. Overall, it was fine, but I'm not sure I care enough to read the next book.

Audiobook Review
Overall 3 stars
Performance 3 stars
Story 3 stars
I really enjoyed this book, and I was not sure I would at first. Some of the world-building took me a while to get into, but once I was acquainted with the world and characters, I could not put the book down. I have already ordered the sequel to this book and plan to read it very soon. I am so excited to share this one with my students.
Thanks to Netgalley and Macmillan's Childrens for the arc of this title.

All the Stars and Teeth by Adalyn Grace has everything I am looking for in YA high fantasy:

- great characters I needed t to know more about
- fantastic world building that creates a world I want to live in
- so much cool magic
- with pirates, mermaids and sea creatures - how can you go wrong?
- an interesting travel quest plot

The story centers around Princess Amora Montara, who has trained her whole life to take over her father's kingdom and become the High Animancer - the master of souls.  However when her magic is tested, Amora's control over her magic fails her and she is forced to flee with a mysterious pirate, Bastian.  From there we follow Amora's adventure as she travels around her kingdom with Bastian.  Along the way we learn more about this island kingdom and find unique adventures and challenges.

This book gets all the thumbs up from me.  I you like high fantasy that is a little bit on the dark side - this book would be a fabulous choice.

I read this book back to back with its sequel All the Tides of Fate.  Taken together the two work as a sea going adventure.  Between the two books you visit the seven islands that make up the Kingdom of Visidia.
Princess Amora Montara has been training her entire life to wield Soul magic. She wants nothing more than to be the next High Animancer - master of souls. This would make her the next protector of the island kingdom of Visidia. During the ceremony to determine if she is worthy of this title, things go terribly wrong and she is imprisoned in the castle dungeon. Desperate for a second chance to prove her worth, Amora is forced to flee with a pirate, in the hopes of stopping a newfound enemy wanting to destroy her kingdom.

I loved this SO MUCH more than I thought I would. I went into this pretty blind, having no idea what it was about, other than mermaids were involved due to the cover (which is GORGEOUS, by the way). I was PLEASANTLY surprised to discover it was so much more than just mermaids. There are pirates, mermaids, monsters, magic, and non-stop action. In this world, people could only learn one magic, or else it would consume them. The seven different forms of magic that one could wield was so intriguing to me. I loved the idea of blood and curse magic, and just needed to know more about this fascinating magic system. This book is a lot more violent and bloody than I had anticipated, so trigger warning for that, but it wasn't too brutal that I couldn't handle it. I also love how this wasn't just a light-hearted action book, there is discussion on abusive relationships, menstration, sexual assault and sexism, which I think were all handled well. Some of the twists are quite predictable, but it didn't make my enjoyment of the story any less.

The characters in this are all so well-written. I loved the banter they all had between one another and they had me giggling for the majority of the book. The found family themes among these friends are some of my favourites I've read to date. Amora was a great female protagonist, she's flawed but so loyal to her kingdom. The romance was also an enemies to friends to lovers, two of my favourite tropes, so I was definitely rooting for them. There's also a twist that will definitely complicate things in the next book, but I'm so invested in their story, I can't wait to find out what happens next with them. Bastian was by far my favourite of the bunch. I adore him and can't wait to see this witty pirate again soon. Ferrik was also great, I felt bad for him in the beginning of the story, but he truly grew into himself more and more as I read on. The mermaid, Vataea was also a kick-ass female character, but strangely loveable at the same time. I think there are so many opportunities for a spin-off series following her story to be written, I for one would love to read it.

I am honestly so excited for the second book to be released, I really want to see where the story goes from here!
I absolutely loved this book! It has everything I want in a YA fantasy - action, magic, friendship, a healthy dose of feminism and just the right amount of romance.  Adalyn Grace has an amazing set of world building skills. I could visualize everything perfectly. The book admittedly does start off slow but once Amora was aboard the Keel Haul, I couldn’t flip the pages fast enough. 4.5 stars rounded up to 5!! Highly recommend! I can’t wait to get started on the second book!!
I didn't really know what to expect when reading but I was genuinely surprised by where the story went! I am a sucker for a good sea-based pirates and mermaids kind of story, so this was the perfect book to read! There's lots of fun adventure and the magic system was so intriguing! I loved the way the magic was portrayed for the sake of the plot, and how everything came together near the end! Speaking of the end, I was so shocked that it just sort of ended without a huge twist but I'm excited to read the sequel to see where Amora takes us!

I loved all the characters, especially as they learned to work with each other and were forced into situations where they had to trust each other. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop, so the suspense and tension was great!

The world building was definitely interesting and I didn't feel confused or lost at any point which can be rare for me in fantasy. Overall, I really enjoyed the story and the characters and would definitely recommend this book for anyone who enjoys fantasy and adventure.
Gritty, fascinating, and full of fantasy. This is a solid addition to YA fantasy collections and I am looking forward to the sequel.
I loved this book.  With a fierce heroine and compelling story, I devoured this adventurous story.  I love a YA fantasy featuring a complex heroine who has to make difficult choices and live with the consequences, and I think this book is a great example of that.  I think so many of my teens, especially the ones interested in pirate and adventure books, will love this story.
Great story and loved the romance. Loved the cast of characters and how the story came to be. Great story and I would read this author again.