The Wife and the Widow

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 21 Jan 2020

This book is so good!! I love the altering chapters of the Wife and then the Widow. I could not wait to pick this book up every time I had to put it down. Great twists, great pacing and such a strong conclusion. 5 stars!!!
This was a very enjoyable mystery-thriller and I loved how Kate, the widow's story and Abby's the wife's story intertwined in unexpected ways. It kept me guessing to the very end. Must read more by Christian White.
Caution: Cursing (F word and sadly, the use of God’s name in vain), sex, including sexual acts between male children

While the twists and turns  in the story were intriguing, and the character development was good, there were a lot of things about this book that I didn’t care for: I didn’t particularly like that the story went back forth between the past and present with no indication that was happening, it made the story confusing. I also didn’t personally care for the bad language and sex, if I wanted that, I would read erotica. Last but not least, the detailed information about taxidermy was creepy and so was the lady who did it.

Looking at the reviews, I see that others loved this book. I did not.
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This psychological thriller is like no other! Fasten your seat belts because you are on the ride of your life. "The Wife and The Widow takes you to a cliff edge and asks the question: how well do we really know the people we love?" Enjoy! 📚
Thank you NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for sending an eBook copy of The Wife and the Widow by Christian White to me to read and review.
“If we don’t talk about the monsters in this world, we won’t be ready for them when they jump out from under the bed.” This is a quote from the book I believe really says a lot about the plot. After reading this line, I could tie it to countless events throughout the story.
Told in a dual timeline format, one being that of a wife and the other, a widow. The author wrote from the point of view of these two strong women seamlessly. He brought their intuition and emotion into their actions and thoughts, as well as, show how women want to stand in front of their families and guard them from danger. No matter who poses the threat.
The characters were well developed and led lives that could be relatable (outside their conflict, anyway). The setting was vividly written, making me feel like I was reading about a real town and real people. The pacing was spot on, full of twists and turns, peaks and valleys, keeping my curiosity turned all the way up. Every time I felt like maybe I know who did what, something would happen that made me question everything I know.
This kind of storytelling creates lifelong readers. I could not turn the pages fast enough; I believe this is one of the first must-reads of the year and a predicted top favorite for 2020!
Told from alternating perspectives of -- you guessed it -- the wife and the widow.  Newly-minted widow Kate not only must come to terms with her husband's death, but also with the fact that he led a secret life.  Kate heads to their holiday house on Belport Island in hopes of learning more about her husband.

Abby, the wife, lives on Belport Island with her husband and two children.  Abby meets Kate on the Island, and join forces to uncover the missing pieces of their husbands' secret lives.

I must say that the location of this book was phenomenal.  Christian White does such an excellent job of the eerie, small island -- it really sets the tone for the book.  Sprinkled in with a few plot twists, and I could not put this down!
Set in the winter on Belport Island, a summer spot for the wealthy, the story follows Kate (The Widow) and Abby (The Wife). Kate's husband John has disappeared and Kate is on a journey to find out why, so she visits her summer home to see if John is there. Abby lives on Belport Island year round and her husband, Ray, is a property caretaker. Ray is acting strange and Abby is trying to figure out the reason.

A twist about halfway through the novel made me gasp with surprise and it changed the trajectory of the story and made me question what I thought I knew. This makes the novel an interesting read. However, all of the detailed description of Abby's taxidermy hobby was very off-putting. If you can stomach that, this is worth the read.

Thank you to St. Martin's Press - Minotaur Books and NetGalley for a digital ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.
4.25 out of 5 stars

I would like to thank Netgalley and St.Martins Press for allowing me to read an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

"The Wife and the Widow" is told from two very different points of view. Kate and her daughter arrive at the airport to greet her husband who had been away at a conference in London. When he doesn't get off the plane she begins to worry. She calls his boss and finds out that he had quit his job a while ago. She has no idea where he could be at first but when she gets a call from the alarm company informing her that an alarm at their holiday house located on Belport Island. Kate and her Father in law decide to head out to find out if John is there.

Abby lives  on Belport Island with her husband Ray and her two teenage children. She works at the local grocery store, takes care of her children and husband, hangs out with her best friend Bobbi and spends a decent amount of time practicing her favorite hobby taxidermy.

Two very different women heading on a collision course. Abby the wife and Kate the widow, each trying their best to find out the secrets that their husbands have been hiding.

This is a dark,, tightly wound thriller with a really, really good twist. I think that this is nearly a perfect mystery. I would have happily given this a five star rating except I did figure out the mystery. Luckily the twist was so darn good  that I couldn't help but  walk away from the book satisfied. Want interesting characters and a well written mystery? Then pick this up!!!
The Wife and the Widow is a thriller that kept me reading - I finished it with 1 break!

When John doesn't come home, his wife Kate starts her search to find out what happened to him. On a nearby island, local Abby is going day by day, but noticing some changes. As the days go by, you learn more about each of the women and their relationships - and it leads to an end I didn't see coming. If you enjoy thrillers, add this to your to-be-read list!

I was provided an ARC through Netgalley - all opinions are my own.
Oh man I'm so bummed I didn't like this book more! I've seen other people loving it but there were a few elements that made it so this book just didn't work for me. First is the "wife" in this story Abby is very crass. There is a quote in the beginning about her bowels being like a buckets of eels that just really turned me off. There is also a decent amount of foul language and the taxidermy side story was also just so strange. I did like the twist at the end and it was a SUPER fast read but the above reasons made it not a win for me.
“How well can you really ever know anyone?”

This pretty much sums up a whole sub-genre of thrillers that plays on this quintessential question of that you can never really fully know someone just because they are ‘family’ because everyone has their own secrets and some like those secrets to remain hidden

At any rate, I approached this book absolutely no expectations, which seem more of a good thing come to think of it. For what it’s worth, the past couple of years didn’t really have a memorable mystery/thriller, not for me. It was all a jumble of unreliable narrators, mediocre red herrings and I’ve-seen-this-before plots; all glued together by unrealistic twists.

Plot! Plot! Plot! Plot! Plot! Plot! Plot! Plot! Plot!

I don’t seem to understand what the point of writing a mystery/thriller is if your #1 priority isn’t the plot. If I could see through the mystery, then there is no thrill and the story simply starts sagging and falling apart. No one really likes a mystery because of its flowery writing.

Not here. This one’s plot gripped me in its talons and just refused to let go of me till the very end. It was skilful, to say the least. It was like at every turn of a page (tap of kindle in my case), it sneered at me.
Damn right!

Usually, small community mysteries feature a hotshot somebody back to make peace with his/her past, solve an old riddle with a criss-cross timeline, rekindle old flame... you know the dig. But here a small, peaceful island comes to life with the discovery of a man’s corpse. Who is he? What was he doing there? And how this man is tied to the small island history? All are questions the dead man’s Melbourne widow asks, to which a local wife might know the answers. The urgency of the narrative compelled me to read on until the moment I realised that twist, almost towards the end. I was like ...

Nothing was farfetched. It was very realistic. It made absolute sense.

And that doesn’t mean that because the plot was good I didn’t pay attention to the writing. Not at all. I loved the writing and highlighted some very memorable quotes. To whet your appetite, here’s a favourite of mine.

“Guilt, fear, grief, they’re all like moss, Ab. If you slow down long enough it’ll start to grow, and it won’t stop until you’re covered.“

It was so well written that it brought every aspect of the plot to life. The whole story was immaculately thought through from all angles. Highest commendations for the writer on his choice. I think it’s time I check his other book.

Many thanks for NetGalley and St. Martin Press for the ARC.
The Wife and the Widow by Christian White tells the story of Kate, a grieving widow who discovers her late-husband's awful secrets, and Abby, a young wife who much confront her husband's guilt. Set on an eerie island where nothing is at it seems, these two women come together to discover the missing pieces regarding their husbands' secret lives.

This story is a masterpiece! The characters are fascinated and well developed, the pacing is excellent, the surprises are endless, and the finale is so smartly written. I loved the structure of this book, and I can imagine this was incredible difficult to write. It's told in dual POVs, which can either be masterful or it can completely destroy a story. I'm happy to say White performed the former. This is one of the best thrillers I've read in a long time! I highly recommend it.

I received an ARC from the publisher via NetGalley. This is my honest, unbiased opinion.
AMAZING! So happy to have had the opportunity to read and review this great book.

Intriguing story told from the viewpoints of the wife and the widow. Incredible to see how the stories intertwine.
This thriller absolutely blew my mind. I read it in one day and couldn’t put it down. The story was so interesting, and completely drew me in. We meet Abby, a wife and mother of two teenagers obsessed with true crime novels. She’s a novice taxidermist and cannot believe when a murder happens right in her small island town. Soon she’s involved in a way she could never imagine.

Katie has just learned her husband has been lying to her about his whereabouts when he fails to come home after a work trip. Her investigation leads her to their summer home on a small island and we soon learn her husband’s secrets.

This was a solid thriller full of twists and turns that I had an inkling off but never fully grasped until the reveal. The writing was accessible and exciting, and it tied up nicely at the end. Many times I’m left with nagging questions with a twisty thriller but this one covered all its bases which I thoroughly enjoyed!
I’ve made no secret of my struggle with thrillers as of late, but every once in awhile I read a book that reminds me why it’s always been my go to genre and The Wife and the Widow was that kind of book for me!

Friends, this one will be tricky to review because it was so incredibly clever that you should go in as blind as possible. How about this, if you like books that are super fast paced and the type you have to read in just a couple of sittings, grab this. Or if you like books that have two narrators that switch back and forth flawlessly read this. If you like smart twists that actually make perfect sense and don’t require you to suspend disbelief, read this! I basically devoured this one and loved every minute of it, highly recommended by me for something that feels original and exciting
WOW! WOW! WOW!

What did I just read? This was an amazing book!!

So I haven't read the author's previous book, "The Nowhere Child', but hearing great reviews about this book decided to read it.  Netgalley and the publishers were nice enough to help with a digital ARC. And boy am I glad that they did!

The story telling and the way the story is structures is different and quite unique, in a good way.
Nothing is as it seems so be prepared for anything and everything to happen. I don't want to reveal much because believe me you should read the book going in blind.
What I will mention is that the story is told from two points of view. One of them is the Widow, Kate, a stay-at-home mother. And the other is from the Wife, Abby, who has a daughter and a son and and a happy marriage.

The characterisations are brilliant. The twists and turns in this book are superlative and they just keep coming.
Trust me, this book deserves your complete attention and is completely worth it. It is definitely one of the best  psychological thrillers I have read and an absolutely fantastic story

I can't wait to read the author's previous book now.

This one was a total winner.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for giving me a digital ARC in exchange for an honest opinion.
Oh my goodness, what a thrill ride!  The Wife and the Widow is a chilling story of two women navigating the struggles of their current circumstances that weave their lives together in an unexpected way.  What an amazing book with incredible twists and turns that will leave you speechless and stunned!  The writing style is smooth, crisp and clear and the character are bold, vividly detailed and individual.  Christian White has done an amazing job of writing this story and giving the reader a thrill to enjoy from page one until the very end!  The island setting helps to give the background of this story a bit of a foreboding feeling that goes hand in hand with the sometimes dark and foreboding characters.  Very well done, it's been a pleasure reading this gem!
I read Mr. White's debut novel, The Nowhere Child and loved it so I was very excited to see he had another release coming out. The Wife and the Widow drew me in from the first page and had me glued to the pages all the way to the end. I had so many questions and thoughts while I was reading. I really didn't accomplish much of anything else while I was engrossed in this book.

Mr. White does a great job of leading the reader through these two women's lives. I really thought I was following along really well, completely invested in what was going on with these two women and their lives. I was invested in what was transpiring in the story, following the story and the details of what was happening, the twists and turns taking place, thinking I was figuring out exactly what was going on with Kate's (the widow) husband and how Abby's (the wife) husband played into it all. Then I got to this twist and was Gobsmacked that I didn't figure it out!

Initially I thought the story was going to go in another direction based on something Kate's husband said in the beginning:

"If we don't talk about the monsters in this world, we won't be ready for them when they jump out from under the bed."

Add in the prologue and my mind went in a totally different direction. But Mr. White surprised me with the story that rolled out on the pages. As I said in the beginning, I was glued to this book. I still have a few questions that I would love to have answers to, but I think they were left that way for the reader to form their own opinions.

A very entertaining read, I can't wait to see what Mr. White brings us next!

Many thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an advanced review copy of this title in exchange for my honest and unbiased review.
While the writing is smooth and easy, the same can’t be said about the story line!

This was a compulsive read-atmospheric and cleverly written, with a solid mystery that completely had me fooled until the end.

Told from 2 POV's, (the wife and the widow) White does an excellent job of slowly peeling back the layers and inserting a reveal or two at just the right moments.

I missed out on his debut [book:The Nowhere Child|38594019] but not for long-off to track this one down.

ARC provided by NetGalley
Stars: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Dual narratives drive a story with a great deal of depth...

PLOT SUMMARY: Kate’s husband John has been on a work trip for the past two weeks.  She and their daughter Mia miss him terribly and can’t wait to see him, but when they go to the airport to surprise him, he’s not there.  Unable to contact him, she connects with his work colleagues...and receives more questions than answers.  Where is John?

Abby lives with her husband Ray, and two teenage children on Belport Island.  Ray is not himself lately, but Abby’s trying not to worry.  Until she receives the news that changes her comfortable life forever.  What has been happening on her beloved island?  And just how are these two women connected?

PROS: Fast paced with a descriptive setting and a few great twists!

CONS: The sequence of events was a bit difficult to follow in places...

YES or NO:  It’s a YES for this one!  I truly enjoyed it!

4 Stars