Cover Image: The Wife and the Widow

The Wife and the Widow

Abby and Kate are The Wife and the Widow, respectively, in an exhilarating new thriller by the author of The Nowhere Child.

What has happened to Kate’s husband, John? When he didn’t return from a business trip, Kate investigates. It appears John never went on the trip despite Skyping Kate from his hotel room. Worse, John quit his physician job three months earlier but continued to “go to work” each day. Where did he really go? Why is the alarm company reporting a break-in at their vacation house on Belport Island. Could John be there? If so, why?

Abby is married to working class Ray. They live on Belport Island year round. They struggle to make ends meet during the non-tourist season. Other than the Island, how are Kate’s and Abby’s stories related?

I absolutely adored The Wife and the Widow. It is the most twisty and surprising tale I have read since Mr. White’s last book, The Nowhere Child. If you want a fun, exhilarating ride through two families’ lives, pick up this book. I guarantee you won’t be disappointed. It’s fantastic! 5 stars and one of my favorites this year!

Thanks to Minotaur Books and NetGalley for a copy in exchange for my honest review.
I’m so grateful I was given the opportunity to read an ARC of this book because I LOVED it. My second five star read of 202 0 and I couldn’t be happier. I devoured this book and was hooked from the very first chapter. I was pretty confident that I had the whole thing figured out and well, I didn’t. Figures. I couldn’t wait to figure out the connection between the wife and the widow and was totally shocked when it was revealed.

I loved several things about this book. The first is that it was told from two different point-of-views. I’m a fan of changing perspectives in a book and thought Christian White did an excellent job doing just that. I also loved the short chapters that often ended with me being forced to read more so that I could find out what happened next. Any book that makes it difficult to put down is a success for me! Lastly, I loved the story that was told. I thought it was interesting, captivating, and different from other thrillers.

I will definitely be reading more from Christian White. I was so enthralled with all of the suspense this book made me feel. If you haven’t already, pick up a copy of this book for yourself! You won’t be disappointed.
While this isn't the best thriller I've ever read (mostly because the timeline got confusing in spots), I'd definitely recommend it. The story opens with a husband's disappearance and the wife trying desperately to figure out the secrets her husband has been keeping from her. The split between the life we *think* we're living and reality is always a great set-up for a thriller, and there are many secrets in this marriage, as well as in the other relationships in the book. I have to say, I was completely caught off-guard by the twist! A satisfying read, and the author does a wonderful job of describing the settings, characters and relationships.
Meet the widow: Kate’s husband mysteriously went missing after telling her that he was heading to another country for a conference. Turns out he went to the remote island of Belport, where their Summer house is located. His body has just been found.

Meet the wife: Abby is an Belport local whose world has just shattered around her. A mountain of evidence has surfaced in her garage. All of it points to her husband’s guilt.

This is all you need to know about the plot of THE WIFE AND THE WIDOW. Anything past this gives way too much away about who these women are and how they are potentially connected.

At the heart this is a story of lies and deception that run deep enough to tear families apart. This book is told through dual narratives, alternating between Kate and Abby. I was instantly able to connect with each woman and find my interest peaked to the plot revolving around what was happening in their lives. Kate and Abby are similar in the respect that both of their husbands have been withholding the truth from them. What those truths are has led to murder and it is through these two narrators that the reader is able to learn the series of events behind this result. Kate and Abby are completely different in their reactions to their situations. Abby is a strong-willed, no-holds-barred, take charge woman, where as Kate is a much more subtle personality, but still equally determined to achieve her goals.

The atmospheric quality of this story plays almost it’s own character to drive the plot along. The island of Belport is a huge tourist attraction, bringing the extremely wealthy back to their Summer homes, which they leave unattended throughout the year. The location, as well as the disparity between the two groups of residents help to build an air of tension throughout the book. In a small town, everyone knows everyone and it’s impossible to avoid people in your business. The fact that these narratives are occurring in the off season shows the impact of this closeness on the locals of the island, as well as the effects and struggles of what it means to live in a tourist town.

My favorite aspect to Christian White’s writing has to be his subtle ability to drop a huge twist. White writes with such ease and laidback quality that the story feels completely natural. Everything is flowing so seamlessly and you’re growing comfortable with the characters, right up until White hits you in the chest with a twist and you’re left wondering how in the world you missed the hits for this! I love when writers master this! Nothing feels forced with White’s books. Everything is just so effortlessly entertaining and addictive to read.

Christian White truly solidified himself as an auto-buy author for me with this book. I adored his debut, THE NOWHERE CHILD and his sophomore effort has done nothing but live up to the high bar set with that debut. If you haven’t tried a book by White yet, clear yourself a spot on your TBR and prepare to binge read!

A huge thank you to Minotaur Books for sending me a free copy of this book!
Whatever you think is going on in this book forget it because you're wrong. Every time I thought I had it figured out it twisted and turned in a totally different direction. Engaging and engrossing this book will have you guessing until the very end. Happy reading!
An absolutely delicious psychological thriller...ripe twists and turns that keep you turning pages in a book you cant put down.

Told from 2 distinct voices in alternating chapters, this thriller is dark, edgy and alive.
We meet "Kate"; smart, strong, resilient - the widow.
We meet "Abby"; smart, strong, resourceful- the wife.

You will question what you thought you knew, as these two women come together to delve into the lives of the husbands they thought they knew.

5 Stars

Thank you to NetGalley, St.Martin's Press and the author, Mr. Christian White, for the opportunity to read this Advanced Readers Copy of "The Wife and the Widow".
The opinions expressed in this review are mine alone.
This was a great read. Awesome character development and a smooth transition (you'll know what I mean later). This will have you picking your brain trying to figure it all out. I really enjoyed this read and I have already recommended it to others.
Wow. This one is a page turner and I finished in two days!

The story flips back and forth between the wife, who is living on an island with her family trying to make ends meet while tourists are away - and the widow whose husband has gone missing and may have taken a hiatus to the island where they own a summer home.

Though a few of the twists were a bit hard to follow, it all came together by the end.

Definitely recommend!
Kate is a typical housewife, married to John a local physician at a hospice clinic with a ten year old daughter Mia. When John doesn’t return from a work trip Katie begins to see the lies her husband has been hiding.

Abby is a resident of the beloved island Belport that is loaded with tourists during the busy season. She is married to Ray a local handyman and they have two teenage sons.

Kate head to her and Johns vacation home on Belport island on her search to find her husband. While Kate is searching for clues to find John, Abbys husband begins to act strange and a body washes up on shore. Unbeknownst to these two women their lives are about to enter twine in a way no one saw coming.

Oh my goodness the ending of this book y’all!! 4.5⭐️

Thank you Netgalley and Minotaur books for my ARC of this outstanding book!
Fabulous second novel by Christian White. The Wife and the Widow is just as enjoyable as The Nowhere Child.

I enjoyed the setting. I like learning more about Australia. The semi-deserted Island was perfect.

The book is all about twists. The twists are what made it a great read. I had a hard time putting it down!

Highly recommend.
I don't know how to review this without spoiling the plot. While I didn't enjoy it as much as The Nowhere Child, it was still a pretty solid piece of issue-driven suspense. I didn't see the big twist coming in a million years, and it was quite clever. On one hand, that made the book that much more entertaining. On the other hand, it meant that the aforementioned issues weren't revealed until so late in the book that the reader doesn't have much time to mull them over. Still, it's a good book and I'm probably being a bit harsh. In any case, White has definitely solidified his place on my must-read list.
This book is so good!! I love the altering chapters of the Wife and then the Widow. I could not wait to pick this book up every time I had to put it down. Great twists, great pacing and such a strong conclusion. 5 stars!!!
This was a very enjoyable mystery-thriller and I loved how Kate, the widow's story and Abby's the wife's story intertwined in unexpected ways. It kept me guessing to the very end. Must read more by Christian White.
Caution: Cursing (F word and sadly, the use of God’s name in vain), sex, including sexual acts between male children

While the twists and turns  in the story were intriguing, and the character development was good, there were a lot of things about this book that I didn’t care for: I didn’t particularly like that the story went back forth between the past and present with no indication that was happening, it made the story confusing. I also didn’t personally care for the bad language and sex, if I wanted that, I would read erotica. Last but not least, the detailed information about taxidermy was creepy and so was the lady who did it.

Looking at the reviews, I see that others loved this book. I did not.
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This psychological thriller is like no other! Fasten your seat belts because you are on the ride of your life. "The Wife and The Widow takes you to a cliff edge and asks the question: how well do we really know the people we love?" Enjoy! 📚
Thank you NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for sending an eBook copy of The Wife and the Widow by Christian White to me to read and review.
“If we don’t talk about the monsters in this world, we won’t be ready for them when they jump out from under the bed.” This is a quote from the book I believe really says a lot about the plot. After reading this line, I could tie it to countless events throughout the story.
Told in a dual timeline format, one being that of a wife and the other, a widow. The author wrote from the point of view of these two strong women seamlessly. He brought their intuition and emotion into their actions and thoughts, as well as, show how women want to stand in front of their families and guard them from danger. No matter who poses the threat.
The characters were well developed and led lives that could be relatable (outside their conflict, anyway). The setting was vividly written, making me feel like I was reading about a real town and real people. The pacing was spot on, full of twists and turns, peaks and valleys, keeping my curiosity turned all the way up. Every time I felt like maybe I know who did what, something would happen that made me question everything I know.
This kind of storytelling creates lifelong readers. I could not turn the pages fast enough; I believe this is one of the first must-reads of the year and a predicted top favorite for 2020!
Told from alternating perspectives of -- you guessed it -- the wife and the widow.  Newly-minted widow Kate not only must come to terms with her husband's death, but also with the fact that he led a secret life.  Kate heads to their holiday house on Belport Island in hopes of learning more about her husband.

Abby, the wife, lives on Belport Island with her husband and two children.  Abby meets Kate on the Island, and join forces to uncover the missing pieces of their husbands' secret lives.

I must say that the location of this book was phenomenal.  Christian White does such an excellent job of the eerie, small island -- it really sets the tone for the book.  Sprinkled in with a few plot twists, and I could not put this down!
Set in the winter on Belport Island, a summer spot for the wealthy, the story follows Kate (The Widow) and Abby (The Wife). Kate's husband John has disappeared and Kate is on a journey to find out why, so she visits her summer home to see if John is there. Abby lives on Belport Island year round and her husband, Ray, is a property caretaker. Ray is acting strange and Abby is trying to figure out the reason.

A twist about halfway through the novel made me gasp with surprise and it changed the trajectory of the story and made me question what I thought I knew. This makes the novel an interesting read. However, all of the detailed description of Abby's taxidermy hobby was very off-putting. If you can stomach that, this is worth the read.

Thank you to St. Martin's Press - Minotaur Books and NetGalley for a digital ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.
4.25 out of 5 stars

I would like to thank Netgalley and St.Martins Press for allowing me to read an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

"The Wife and the Widow" is told from two very different points of view. Kate and her daughter arrive at the airport to greet her husband who had been away at a conference in London. When he doesn't get off the plane she begins to worry. She calls his boss and finds out that he had quit his job a while ago. She has no idea where he could be at first but when she gets a call from the alarm company informing her that an alarm at their holiday house located on Belport Island. Kate and her Father in law decide to head out to find out if John is there.

Abby lives  on Belport Island with her husband Ray and her two teenage children. She works at the local grocery store, takes care of her children and husband, hangs out with her best friend Bobbi and spends a decent amount of time practicing her favorite hobby taxidermy.

Two very different women heading on a collision course. Abby the wife and Kate the widow, each trying their best to find out the secrets that their husbands have been hiding.

This is a dark,, tightly wound thriller with a really, really good twist. I think that this is nearly a perfect mystery. I would have happily given this a five star rating except I did figure out the mystery. Luckily the twist was so darn good  that I couldn't help but  walk away from the book satisfied. Want interesting characters and a well written mystery? Then pick this up!!!
The Wife and the Widow is a thriller that kept me reading - I finished it with 1 break!

When John doesn't come home, his wife Kate starts her search to find out what happened to him. On a nearby island, local Abby is going day by day, but noticing some changes. As the days go by, you learn more about each of the women and their relationships - and it leads to an end I didn't see coming. If you enjoy thrillers, add this to your to-be-read list!

I was provided an ARC through Netgalley - all opinions are my own.