Cover Image: The Wife and the Widow

The Wife and the Widow

A solid thriller written with an engaging style and plot. With many helpful reviews already available, I'll just recommend this for mystery fans seeking a good read.

I really appreciate the ARC for review!!
"We all have things that ought to stay buried, things a person should keep to themselves...how well can you really know anyone?"

Kate Keddie, a stay at home mom, lived in an elegant Victorian home in Caulfield. She was married to John, a physician at Trinity Health Centre for Palliative Care. As our story unfolds, Kate and ten year old daughter Mia, await John's return from a two week conference in London. As passengers deplane at Melbourne International Airport, he is not among them. In fact, John never flew to London to attend the palliative care seminar. John and Kate own a holiday house on Belport Island, a wedding gift from John's parents, Fisher and Pam Keddie. John dislikes the island. Fisher is not impressed with John's choice of wife. Kate is "passive to the point of invisible...".

Abby Gilpin, long time Belport Island resident, lived with husband Ray and two kids in a small weatherboard beach house with "groaning floorboards, the constant pop of settling wood...". Abby worked shifts at the "Buy and Bye" Food Market. She was an amateur taxidermist and stored various chemical supplies in a work station in her garage. The supplies included tanning solutions and luminol. In the cold months, Ray ran Island Care, "a caretaking business focusing on maintaining unoccupied holiday houses across the island."

In alternating voices, Kate and Abby share their stories. Quiet, mousy Kate comes into her own. She doesn't know her own strength until John dies on Belport Island. Why was he there when he stated that he was at a conference? Why was he no longer an employee of Trinity Health Centre? Abby discovers work boots and a grey work shirt with the logo Island Care in an overturned garbage bin. She decides to test the suspiciously stained items using luminol. What might Ray have done?

"The Wife and the Widow" by Christian White is a psychological thriller filled with lies and deception. Author White keeps the reader guessing. The many twists and turns, past and present, create an eerie island atmosphere filled with many unexpected reveals. This sophomore crime thriller is one I highly recommend.

Thank you St. Martin's Press, Minotaur Books and Net Galley for the opportunity to read and review "The Wife and the Widow".
When you are blessed enough to find a book that keeps you guessing, you are in book heaven!  I just couldn't put this one down.  I stayed up all night reading just to find out who was who and what exactly happened.  The story came together beautifully and was masterfully written.   It was an "edge of your seat" plot with a surprising ending.  It is a definite must read for people who enjoy thrillers!  I highly recommend this book!  :)
Wow! This book kept me on the edge of my seat from the very first page! Just when I thought I had some things figured out, NOPE! Not even close. This is my first book by this author but you can bet I’ll be reading many more from Christian White. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this book for my honest review.

This novel is told from the point of view of a widow and the wife in the family responsible for his death.  Interesting plot twist.  I enjoyed the novel.
I received an Arc from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. “If we don’t talk about the monsters in this world, we won’t be ready for them when they jump out from under the bed.” My first time reading this author an it will not be my last. An excellent thriller with some dark twists. Totally original, tightly woven plot that brought many surprises. The story revolves around 2 women- the widow Kate who is trying to find out why her dead husband had a hidden life an why he had so many secrets and the wife Abbey. So many secrets and lies. I was captivated and could not put it down.
4.5
Told from two perspectives: Kate the widow, and Abby the wife, this thriller/mystery had me hooked not only from the first chapter but the writing as well.

I won’t go into too much detail as I don’t want to give anything away and I think you will get the most out of this book by going in blind. I got to a point where I wanted to throw my kindle against the wall while furiously going back trying to figure out if I missed something along the way. After reading the authors notes (do not read them before starting the book) I realized that this is exactly what he was hoping for……guilty, but at least I’m not crazy. Although I had a tiny inkling of where this was going I was no where near to where it actually went. 4.5 ⭐️
This is one of the best thrillers I’ve read in a year! I love how the captivating plot follows two women, Kate and Abby as they uncover lies, secrets and deception. As the details unfold, the timelines and the women’s past and present come together in a shocking conclusion and the secrets of their husbands are finally revealed. This is a great book!  It has a mind bending twist that almost blew me away. I had to stop and think it through before I could continue reading. This is a book you won’t want to put down. I highly recommend it! My thanks to Netgalley, the publisher and the author for an advance copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.
The Wife and the Widow  is a wonderful, dark and incredibly rich mystery/thriller novel, so well built and fast paced that I wasn't able to put it down till I reached the end. I was absolutely captivated by the atmosphere and characters.
This book took me awhile to get into but once I did I enjoyed it. I loved the alternating voices and the mystery behind it all. Shocking ending I didn’t see coming! Thanks to Netgalley for my advanced ebook copy!
**4.5 stars, rounded up**

Wowzas, that twist!

This one will be hard to review without spoiling anything, but I'll give it a shot!

Set in Belport, a small island town that comes to life during the summer months for tourist season, Abby, a local woman discovers that she doesn't know her husband as well as she had thought. Kate, whose family owns a summer house in Belport, goes to meet her husband at the airport after a business trip only to discover that he never got on the plane returning from London.

Told in alternating points of view from those two women, The Wife and the Widow will cause you to question how well you can ever really know anyone else. This is a masterfully crafted story that left my head spinning.
This was a clever mystery and I enjoyed it so much I'm definitely going to check out the author's other book, The Nowhere Child. The story grabbed me from the start as I was very interested in what happened to the missing husband as well as figuring out the connection between the two women.  There's a surprise or two along the way and while I wouldn't say my mind was blown, I was left feeling appreciative the author managed to pull one over on me.

Kate, a mother of a young girl, is devastated when her husband goes missing.  As she  tries to figure out what happened to him, she learns he hasn't been completely open and honest with her.  Abby is married and the mother of two teenagers.  Her family struggles to make ends meet as the island they live on is dependent on tourists who flock there during the summer months.  Unfortunately there isn't much work to go around during the other parts of the year. The story will alternate between the perspectives of Kate and Abby. And that's pretty much all you need to know as it's more fun going into this one without knowing too much about the story.

I thought the pacing for this book was excellent and I couldn't believe how fast I whipped through this one. For me this fits the exact definition of vacation read as it easily held my interest and while it was well-written, it wasn't a mystery that was taxing on my brain.  Just something I could sit down with, relax, and enjoy.

Without getting into spoilers, while reading I will admit some parts of the story didn't seem all that realistic.  However, I had completely changed my mind by the end because I at least understood why some characters were motivated to act in certain ways.  Pay attention to the news every once in awhile,, and this story doesn't sound so far-fetched.

Definitely recommend as a good, solid mystery with some thriller elements to it as well.

Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with an advance digital copy in exchange for an honest review!
This book was original and interesting. You know it's a good book when you are shocked by the ending. Highly recommend!
I read a lot of thrillers, and the plots can become somewhat predictable. But not this book! I enjoyed it because 1) the setting is interesting. Stuff goes down on this seasonal vacation destination. There's rich vs. poor tension, and it makes for an exciting narrative. 2) the two narrators keep things exciting, and there's a lot of surprises. There are several twists that I didn't see coming!

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for the ARC.
This is the first book I have read by Christian White.  I am intrigued enough to now seek out his first book.  I read a lot of thrillers/mystery novels (and I mean a lot) and this is the first in a long time in which I absolutely did not see that twist coming.  So well written and kept me reading.  I will definitely be recommending this one to everyone!  Thank you for the advanced copy.
So many twists and turns! Suspenseful & exciting. Kept me guessing; wanting more.. Would recommend to others!!
This was a great book- it goes back and forth  between Kate, whose husband seems to vanish into thin air when she thinks he is on a business trip; and Abby, who lives on the island where Kate's family has a vacation home and whose husband seems to have something to hide. The chapters go back and forth between these 2 POVs, referred to as the wife and the widow.

I was immediately engaged in the mystery and trying to figure out the connection between the 2 women. The connection seemed obvious but the author gave the reader some clues that made me think that everything wasn't as straightforward as it seemed.  I liked  both main characters, though both did frustrate me at various points, and also really enjoyed the relationship between Kate and Fisher (her father in law).  The twist comes late in the book and I DID NOT see it coming, though then I realized that there were clues left behind that helped lead in that direction.   I found that I was confused when it all came together and actually had to go back a couple chapters to make sure I understood what was happening- not sure if that was the author's intention or not.

Overall, this was a fun mystery that kept me interested the entire way through and had the rare twist that I didn't figure out in advance.  I'd recommend the book for sure.  Thanks to Netgalley for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
How much do you really know someone? Everyone has secrets and some never stay buried.

The Wife and the Widow is a thrilling suspense kind of read. The beginning was a slow start. I had some trouble staying engaged. The characters didn’t help. I didn’t find any of them interesting or likable but yet I trudged on and I’m glad that I did. The twist was a good one and as a whole, this was a good read. I give this 3 stars.

Monsters come in all shapes and sizes; some don’t even hide they are visible in plain sight. With that said, I ask, just how far would you go to protect the ones you love from a monster lurking nearby? Such a breathtaking, mind blowing, gut wrenching, left me SMFH in horror and anticipation. The Wife and the Widow is an absolute, hands-down bestseller - 💯 Brandy approved!!

The Wife and The Widow makes you question your own morals - you’ll even find yourself asking - just how far would you go to protect the ones you love. You’ll also finding yourself questioning just how well know them. It’s a read that may have you sleeping with one eye open.

The Wife and the Widow is must, I repeat a must read that hits shelves January 2020. It’s deserving of 5+ stars and is the newest addition to my “fav’ list.” ❤️❤️
I was given this book by NetGalley for an honest review -
What a shocking story of a beautiful island holding secrets of a murder -
Kate's husband is supposedly on a work trip when she receives the news he's been murdered.
Abby, the wife discovers shocking secrets of her husband or are they her husbands secrets?
And when secrets are kept what happens when they start to unravel?
With twists and turns your will turn the page to a shocking conclusion!