Dover One

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 02 Oct 2019

Very poor and dated. There was no underlying rationale for why Dover was the way he was or his Sgt for that matter. Maybe that is developed in later books, but I won't be reading them to find out. Story plodding and unexciting, resolution unclear - we know what happened, but did dopey Dover ?
Joyce Porter created a character of his time, mind in a time warp of pre-war ideas. Wilfred Dover is a man you can dislike easily but by the end of the book you just  have a little thought and hope that he might succeed. Written with tongue firmly in cheek at times the humour doesn’t miss a beat. The story though is a true who-dun-it with twists and turns not helped by the inept Dover, but is he that inept? Or is it all a game by the author to mislead us? Some comments and thoughts of Wilfred Dover appear to be very anti-social but don’t forget the book was written in early 1960s so he is just reflecting the thoughts of that type of man at that time.
All in all a good read and looking forward to Number 2
Great fun. How could it be that such a great comic character as Inspector Dover ha been hidden for so many years. Joyce Porter is a wonderfully inventive writer and the book is full of the atmosphere of the early 1950's. The story has all the twists and turns of a satisfying whodunit.
Detective Chief Inspector Wilfred Dover is not like any detective you have every heard of before.
I cannot compare Dover to any detective story i have read before.
This however is why it makes this book so enjoyable.
Dover is clearly no Sherlock Holmes or Miss Marple.
Dover is a so so detective who relies on luck and the help of his seargent.
Although written in 1964 this story would make a superb tv programme.
Joyce Porter managed to create a character you can't like but you can enjoy.
Bumbling along and somehow getting there in the end.
Most enjoyable read and hopefully more to come!
I really really had a difficult time reading this book. It had moments of humor but I found the main character very detestable and just couldn't get into the storyline. I spent the majority of my time flipping through because this book just couldn't hold my interest.

Thank you to the author/publisher/Netgalley for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.
I really struggled with this book but persevered as I do not like to request a book but not finish it or leave a review.

It is promised to be a humourous murder mystery however i did not find anything funny about it. I then discovered it was written in the 1960s which explains the crude, sometimes racist, misogynist comments. I appreciate the author is setting out the unlikable main characters point of view but it made me feel uncomfortable in this day and age.

Thank you to netgalley for giving me an arc but I won't be reading this series again.
From Good Reads:
As someone who generally has to warm to characters - I should have hated this.

It was a bit of a delight.

Dover is foul (and will probably only get worse as series goes on)
The rest of the characters/suspects are - larger than life to put it mildly.
Politically incorrect - this rattles along at breakneck speed, full of exaggeration and fantastic comic touches and asides.
Still manages to be a decent whodunnit
There should be more tongue in cheek crime.

Really enjoyed and look forward to the next
The 'hero' of our narrative is Dover, a Chief Inspector with Scotland Yard who is sent to a remote location on an odd case that the local police were unable to think of anything to do.

In Dover one: There is a woman who is missing. Her defining characteristic is her weight and the repetitive mention of her size or all the misbehaviours and icky(ish) mindsets of everyone in the vicinity should have put me off. It is a police procedural with the procedure being a key factor. We are walked through every interview and thought process that Dover and his suffering subordinate, Macgregor. For all intents and purposes, my concentration should have veered off at some point in the telling of this story but it did not. I am trying to unravel the ideas I have for identifying the root cause of such an occurrence.

Dover is sent on this mission understandably to relieve his London colleagues of his presence. He is described as a slob who has an inflated opinion of his own prowess, but the latter part is not completely true. He deflects the truth to make himself look and sound more intelligent but he does it knowingly. He knows that he is taking a shortcut but is impatient to get going and refuses to let others know he is wrong even if he does admit it to himself (in a fashion). This plot has a group of unsavoury characters. None of the people are likable and are described in very vividly prejudiced terms but it suits the storyline because I do not think we are meant to like anyone in the story. The unexpected turns that the investigation takes and the way that Dover manages to come out on top (at least in the public eye) was fascinating in an odd way. The ending and the actual perpetrators of the crime in some ways show us why the missing woman was predominantly described by her appearance! I do not know if I have clarified the meandering path that my thoughts took to ultimately being satisfied with this book and getting a chance to see yet another aspect of how people's minds worked in post-war England, but I did try.
Overall I am pleased to make an acquaintance of this author, and a whole new style of mystery narration. Although I do not think the content would be everyone's cup of tea, if one can get past the (graphic) negative caricatures of people and look at it only as part of the story itself, it is more palatable.I say this as someone who is usually very sensitive to the background portrayal of any story, and someone who actually (surprisingly) enjoyed both the stories I have read of this series so far.
I received an ARC of the reprint thanks to NetGalley and the publishers, but the review is completely based on my own reading experience.
I hadn't encountered this author before so I was surprised to find out the books were written 50 years ago and there is a whole series of them waiting to be enjoyed.I loved it-it's like a cross between an Ealing comedy and an Agatha Christie murder mystery,with  Chief Inspector Wilfred Dover,one of the most unlikeable detectives ever ,and his long suffering assistant,Sergeant MacGregor.
It was written long before the days of political correctness and the remarks and dialogue are a delight-it made me laugh out loud several times.But it's not all comedy-it's tightly plotted and there are several twists and turns before it reaches a satisfying conclusion.Perfect reading for a miserable day-I read it in a couple of days and enjoyed every line.I can't wait to read the rest!
What was at first for me a slow(ish) read developed into a most delightful and entertaining book which kept me amused and interested until the end. Only when I found out it was from a long series of books written some years back did I regret that I had not come across them before.

What one might describe as a light read but none the worse for that. Sit back, laugh and enjoy - Chief Inspector Dover is on the case!

Thank you to Farrago for permission to read and give an unbiased review.
If you like your crime novels to have a distinctly 60s feel, with a touch of almost P G Wodehouse humour then Joyce Porter’s bumbling, pompous and semi-competent DCI Dover could be up your street. The plots will not trouble your intellect too much and the narrative is somewhat littered with cliches, but - and this is perhaps a bit weird - it really doesn't matter. There is plenty of light-hearted humour to brighten up the depressing news, or a bad day at the office! Recommended.
Very enjoyable for  its witty characterizations  and slothful detective with sterling assistant who does all the heavy lifting and brain work.  An unattractive girl goes missing and the detective reluctantly goes about finding her .. this involves very entertaining and sometimes contradictory quizzing of locals.  Great fun ..  and it gets solved! Undemanding good fun ..
Meet Chief Inspector Wilfred Dover - the gloriously unconventional anti-hero of Joyce Porter's Dover series and probably Scotland Yard's most problematic Detective. Dover is everything he shouldn't be and more, he is also unappealing in every way possible. The thing is - Dover gets the job done, by whatever means necessary, even though often by simply passing the buck. He is, quite simply, rather magnificent and this reader cannot help but have a very big soft spot for him. Here Scotland Yard have sent him, together with the long suffering Sergeant MacGregor, on the trail of a missing housemaid, Humorous - often very darkly so -, witty, satirical and hugely entertaining and I'm looking forward to reading more.
If you want a book with a thoroughly disagreeable, lazy and rude main character then this is for you. Fans of Mick Herron's Jackson Lamb will instantly relate to the antihero of these books who you cannot help but enjoy for all his less savoury elements. Together with his long-suffering sidekick and colleague, the two provide a quick and enjoyable light read that makes you both smile and enjoy the clever unfolding of the solution to the crime.
In this day and age of social and political unrest in so many places in the world, it is a bit difficult to put DOVER ONE into its proper place in history. Let's start out with the fact the overweight and poorly groomed Chief Inspector Wilfred Dover is not a very nice man. Then let's add a case in which he has no interest that centers around Juliet Rugg who is described as standing 5 feet, 3 inches tall in stiletto heels, and weighs in at 16 stone (that's 224 pounds in American - yes, I googled it). So we start out with an unattractive police inspector with a misogynistic attitude toward a potential victim. All of this would seem to place the action in the mid-twentieth century before the words 'political correctness' were ever spoken.

However, a thoroughly boorish and unlikeable protagonist does not necessarily make a book unreadable. In fact, once you wrinkle your nose at his characteristics several times, you will find that he is surrounded by the very essence of BBC mystery suspects.

First published over fifty years ago, DOVER ONE is a book of its time. The 1960s was a time of change, not all of which was acceptable to the post-WWII generation. Bits and pieces of the time are interspersed quite subtly throughout the novel. This subtlety makes the book somewhat timeless. Young, modern readers may have difficulty with concepts of being "on the phone" indicating whether or not one had landline in their home, but older folks, like myself will see this as a sign of those times.

The first half of DOVER ONE is pretty much dedicated to making you thoroughly dislike Wilfred Dover while introducing his sergeant, Charles Edward MacGregor, almost as a minor character hardly worth mentioning. Detective Sergeant MacGregor lives in the background but does all the actual work. The residents of Irlam Old Hall are a colorful lot; just the sort you would expect to find in an English village where class structure runs rampant.

I have always enjoyed reading books where inuendo rather than blatant four-letter words are used in delicate situations. The nod to human nature and frailty is given in this way here.

Overall, DOVER ONE is a throwback to an earlier time. Once that is discerned, the case moves on apace. If I had thoughts of stopping this series at book one, I have certainly changed my mind.

The end of the book is priceless!
Detective Chief Inspector Wilfred Dover of Scotland Yard is a fat lazy slob with little drive, ambition or talent for his calling. How he ever made it to his elevated rank is not explained, but in this early 1960’s procedural we follow this bumbling character as he investigates the disappearance of a young woman in the vicinity of a small rural town, assisted by his sergeant, who fortunately is both very patient and much more skilled.

Dover is a great character, and indeed there are a good variety of well described characters in this story. There is a wry humour running through it and the pace of the investigation is slow by modern standards, without the scientific progress of the last fifty years, which we tend to take for granted.

A pleasing and interesting story and a great central character, and I would be happy to read more of his investigations.

Thanks to Ferraro Books via Net Galley for the opportunity to read an advance review copy.
What a waste of time Mr Dover is.  But what fun!  He lets others do all the work, takes the credit for things he did not do, but still somehow manages to solve the crime.  I loved reading this and figuring out how he was going to "solve" the crime!
This was a farcical detective story with the main character who is the most unlikeable police Inspector you could ever imagine.  Regardless of this it was an entertaining story where the hapless sergeant, who does most of the work and the inspector finally solve the murder and trot off back to Scotland Yard.
I'm happy I got this ARC because I discovered a new to me humorous and entertaining series.
Dover is the perfect anti-hero, he will make you laugh and you end loving him for all his imperfections.
The story is engrossing and entertaining, it aged well and it's an interesting depiction of an era.
I loved the quirky cast of characters and the plot.
Looking forward to reading the next instalment, it's highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Not for me, I'm afraid. I rarely give up on a book but I didn't make it to the end of this one. The pace was too slow and the characters were more like caracatures. The humour/quirkiness  just didn't work for me.