Cover Image: Her Mother's Lies

Her Mother's Lies

this was a great psychological thriller, there is something so terrifying of a mother being a bad guy. I thought the author was able to create a great psychological setting with great characters.
This is a brilliant read.
Wonderful well written plot and story line that had me engaged from the start.
Love the well fleshed out characters and found them believeable.
Great suspense and found myself second guessing every thought I had continuousluy.
Can't wait to read what the author brings out next.
Recommend reading.

I was provided an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher.  This is my own honest voluntary review.
Thanks to Netgalley for my copy.

Another good psychological thriller from this author. Relatable characters and a well developed plot
A complex, suspenseful plot with tension so thick that it felt palpable. Wonderfully-developed characters with depth and substance. I was immediately drawn in and held captive from beginning to end.
Wow and wow again. Rona Halsall has done it again. Her Mother's Lies is a fast paced roller coaster ride that is packed full of so many twists and turns that by the time you reach the final twist,you are left feeling so dizzy that all you want to do is lie down in a dark room for a few hours or until your head stops spinning.
What do you do when the one person in your life that you trust more than any other lies to you? Martha loves her mother, and just like most children, she would do anything for her that she possibly could. One day, however, her interest is peaked by a message that she sees on her mother’s phone. Now, she has questions. Lots and lots of questions. When she investigates, she finds out that what she has believed for her entire life is not true. Her mother, Fran, has been lying to her. This is an amazing story line, fast-paced, a definite roller coaster ride. Thank you to NetGalley, the author and publisher for allowing me the opportunity to review this book.
Martha, 24, lives an isolated existence with her diabetic, alcoholic mother Fran.  The relationship between mother and daughter is very strained as Martha is more the mother who has to care for her Fran.  After seeing a message on her mother's phone from her estranged father Greg, she tracks him down to confront him about why he abandoned the family 15 years ago - only to find out he is not her biological father.  With help from her friend Izzy, Martha sets off to find out what secrets her mother has been keeping and to find her biological father.  What follows is a path of lies, secrets, loss and the lengths a parent will go to in order to protect their children.
I enjoyed this book, although I like a more fast-paced thriller in general.  This was definitely a slow burn and it made me a bit frustrated at times.  Martha was pretty unlikable, so I'm not sure that I was rooting for her in the end.  Good read, just not the best for me.
Thanks to Rona Halsall, Bookouture and NetGalley for the ARC.
Another fabulous psychological thriller by Rona Halsall! I loved her last book, and this one is superb also.

The opening scene is immediately gripping, and this is a book that just grabs you and doesn’t let go until the very end.

The setting of this book is atmospheric and contributes to the general feeling of tension and build up. Even though they live in beautiful Cornwall, they are very isolated, and Martha in particular is quite trapped there. The descriptive passages in the book really make the settings feel so real.

The story is told mostly from Martha’s perspective, with an occasional chapter from Fran’s point of view. Martha does seem quite naive, but circumstances have made her this way. As the novel progresses, we find out more about why her mother wants to keep her isolated. She meets Izzy, and it’s hard to know if she can really trust her.

As the tension builds, and the mystery unravels, secrets are revealed, but there are quite a few twists and turns in the plot.

This is really addictive reading, it’s a hard one to put down. So well written and so perfectly paced, it will have you riveted. Fabulous.
Fran and Martha live together in an isolated cottage in Cornwall. Their relationship is close & they barely even have friends. This all starts to unravel the day that Martha looses her job and her Mother, Fran becomes ill.
This book started off well. The story gently built up with glimpses from the past and the present day story. The characters were good - Fran, who wasn't as all together as it appeared at first sight & Martha ready to spread her wings and fly the nest but tethered by responsibility. As the story develops we get to see the intricacies of these two characters and that their close relationship isn't quite all it seemed at first glance.
However, I felt as the story progressed it got rather convoluted and unlikely. It was as if the author wanted to add in every possible twist and turn thinking that made it better. However I found myself thinking that people just would not behave like this on several occasions. The story develops with all of the characters telling lie after lie in the past as well as the present - how had this not fallen apart before this? Some of it just pushed my credulity too far, even for a work of fiction.
It is a great shame when a book starts well but then goes awry in the middle somewhere. It can happen for all sorts of reasons but in this case the author just got carried away & packed too much into the story.
I received a free copy of this book via Netgalley.
I received a free e-copy of Her Mother's Lies by Rona Halsall from NetGalley for my honest review.

I struggled getting into this book.

Martha and her mom, Fran have what seems to be a great relationship.  But then life takes a turn and she soon realizes she has lived a life of secrets, lies and deception.
Ooh I loved this one! It had me on the edge of my seat and kept me guessing the whole time. I love when books in this genre surprise you, because it does not happen often. Definitely would recommend.
Wow. I enjoyed this book, a little over-written in places, but a great read. Lots of twists ad turns and a spectacular ending. Well-written characters with complex personalities. Recommended.
Martha and her mum Fran appear to be very close.  Martha had a happy childhood with a loving father who suddenly walked out on them on Martha’s ninth birthday.  After the collapse of the marriage Martha and Fran move to a remote village in Cornwall.  Fran turns to alcohol and being a diabetic as well Martha becomes more of a career to her mum and starts to resent this.  Martha thinks everything is going wrong when she loses her job at a local vets but then her world is rocked again when she reads a text on her mum’s phone from her estranged father who her mum has always insisted that she has never had any contact with.  Fran collapses and ends up in hospital so Martha decides it would be a good time to try and renew contact with her father and try to discover why he had abandoned them.  Martha has a friend Izzy, who lives up north, and when Martha tells her that she is going to look for her father, Izzy insists that she will come and take her in her car.  That’s when Martha’s nightmare begins as she discovers her mother has being lying to her all these years.  The story is told by Martha and Fran, in the past and the present and had me hooked from the first page.  The book is full of secrets and lies and lots of twists and turns.  A definite recommended read.
Thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for giving me the opportunity to read and review this book.
This is the first book I’ve read from this author and it won’t be the last.
I really enjoyed the story, it gripped me from the start and kept me guessing throughout.
Recommended to any psychological thriller fans
This was a well written and gripping story, and whilst I had an idea of the ending, I couldn’t stop reading to make sure I was right! Martha and her Mum have lived in Cornwall for some time, Martha doesn’t really like it there and is desperate to fine her Dad who walked out on them 15 years ago.
She finally tracks him down, but the meeting ends in disaster. She then learns that her boss and mentor had died suddenly, leaving her without an income or a job.
Things escalate, but Martha is grateful to be able to count on her friend Izzy, who drops everything to come and help.
Once Martha’s Mum is taking into hospital and the future looks bleak,  she’s even more thankful of Izzy’s support.
Is Izzy as she seems? Martha becomes suspicious, and then Izzy drops her bombshell.
The ending of the book is fast paced and exciting, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
This story contained all the ingredients of a first class read, heartstopping suspense, a guilty secret, tragedy and even a little romance. All of these combined resulted in a book that is as perfect for a sunny day in the garden as it is for a long winter night by the fire. Either way just make sure you won't be disturbed because this is one book you will not want to put down.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for an ARC of this book
A well written and gripping story. The characters were believable but I must admit that Martha annoyed me at times e.g.  she goes on a trip to North Wales when her mother is lying ill in hospital with no visitors !! I found it a little slow at the beginning but the ending was unexpected and that is why I am giving this book 4 stars.
Thank you Rona Halsall, Netgalley and Bookouture for giving me the opportunity to read this book and give my unbiased opinion
I absolutely loved this book from beginning to end.  I was a bit frustrated with Martha at some stage, because I would have send my mother packing, believe you me, but I am glad I stuck with the book, the ending was well done and thrilling beyond belief! Highly recommended!
This book was full of suspense and was a fast paced roller coaster ride, full of twists and turns and damaged characters. This is a book you wont be able to put down.
Thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for allowing me to read this Arc.
Absolutely brilliant book. So many twists and turns. It took a few pages to really get into it but once I did I couldn't put it down! I would highly recommend it.