Her Last Whisper (Detective Katie Scott Book 2)

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 21 Oct 2019

Reading the previous book in the Detective Katie Scott series got me hooked on not only the character of Katie but that of all in this series. So when the second installment of this series was out I absolutely HAD to get my hand on it! Her Last Whisper is an equally thrilling and gripping crime thriller I enjoyed devouring! It opens with a scene that grips you from the get-go and keeps the momentum going till the very end!

When the cold body of beloved local nurse Amanda Payton is discovered on a jogging trail in Pine Valley, Detective Katie Scott known for her skillful handling of cold cases is assigned the case. Weeks earlier, Amanda was discovered by two police officers running away. incoherent and in a deep state of emotional trauma. But with no viable leads, the case soon goes cold. Katie gets Amanda to help the police with finding her kidnapper promising to protect her and get her the justice she deserves. Soon after Amanda is silenced, her death shocking Katie to the core. When Katie discovers another case with a similar story and accusations of kidnapping, she tracks down the victim who refuses to help her out. Soon Katie realizes that someone is on the hunt for women, kidnapping them and torturing them. When another office-worker goes missing, Katie must race against time to save her. Will she be too late?

The plot of this book is excellent and the twists really kept me going till the very end. I found this book very hard to put down. I really like how driven Katie is and how methodically she approaches every case. Katie primarily deals with cold cases, so often discovers skeletons in the closet, pun intended. Her cold cases take her to cases in the present where the perpetrator is still active and kicking and killing. Off course this and a current threat to someone are what keeps the chapters so tense, that its a crime not to read just that one more chapter.  I find the battle between will she? or won't she to be too hard to resist. However, it would be great to see her dig into cases that have gone cold a long time ago. Apart from the kidnapping-killing case, this book also has her working on another personal case. Katie is helping a fellow vet, find his missing brother. Although the coverage of this case is way less than the other one, it shows us yet another compassionate and emotional side of Katie Scott. With her ever-increasing episodes of PTSD, her juggling two cases at a time show me just how driven and passionate she is about her job and doing the right thing. I am a fan of this series and can't wait for the next.

Thank you, NetGalley, Bookouture and Jennifer Chase for an arc!
Her Last Whisper is the second book in the Detective Katie Scott series. Katie Scott is a former member of the military who returned home and joined her Sheriff Uncle's department. She now is the cold case department and on her first day discovers the six month old kidnapping of Amanda Payton. As she starts to look into the case, Amanda turns up dead. There might also be more women who were kidnapped and fear that he will come back for them too.

I enjoyed this book and found it to be a quick read. The story weaves both Katie's cold case as well as some of her military past. This is a series that does require you to have read the previous novel. I story picks up shortly after the last one left off and does not really recap any of the previously set character development. If you are looking for a female lead detective series pick this one up.
Her Last Whisper
(Detective Katie Scott #2)
by Jennifer Chase

Kindle Edition, 330 pages
Published October 21st 2019 by Bookouture

Goodreads synopsis:
Katie focuses her mind, trying to keep another anxiety attack at bay. The victim’s long brown hair is slick and wet, her body rigid in the grass. She looks more like a mannequin than the woman Katie had spoken with only yesterday, the woman she had promised to protect…

When a cold, naked body is discovered by a couple on a jog through the lush woodlands of Pine Valley, California, new recruit Detective Katie Scott is stunned to discover the victim is Amanda Payton – a much-loved local nurse and the woman at the heart of an unsolved case she’s been investigating whilst getting a grip on her crippling PTSD.

Weeks earlier, Amanda had run, battered and bruised, out into the headlights of a passing patrol car. She claimed to have just escaped a kidnapping, but with no strong evidence, the case went cold. The Pine Valley police made a fatal mistake…

Katie is certain the marks on Amanda’s wrists complete a pattern of women being taken, held captive and then showing up dead in remote locations around Pine Valley – and she won’t let someone die on her watch again.

But then a beautiful office worker with a link to the hospital where Amanda worked goes missing. With only days before the next body is due to show up, can Katie make amends for her past by saving this innocent life?

Totally gripping crime fiction for fans of Lisa Regan, Rachel Caine and Melinda Leigh. Nothing will prepare you for this nail-biting roller-coaster ride…

***

4.5 Stars

This is the second book in the Detective Katie Scott series by Jennifer Chase.

What a great read! I am really enjoying detective fiction and police procedurals right now.

Katie is a new hire in the police department in Pine Valley. She is now head of the cold case division. And her first case turns out to be a doozy. A woman is discovered by two police officers bloody and nearly naked claiming she had been kidnapped. But the officers can find no truth behind her claims. The case goes cold and now six months later, Katie is digging into the details.

I am fascinated by this stuff. There are a couple of love interests here. A bestie from the service, Nick, who asks her for a favor and Chad the firefighter who is jealous of Nick and the time he spends with Katie. It seems the only family around is her uncle who got her the new job and her dog Cisco who used to go on cases with her but now is sort of retired from investigation work.

This isn’t the type of book that scares you and keeps you up at night but it is a solid read that makes you yearn for more. I can’t wait to see what else Jennifer Chase comes up with next for Katie Scott. I will definitely be there at the checkout with my money in hand.

If you love detective fiction or police procedurals, you will want to add this to your TBR for sure!

I received this as an ARC (Advanced Reader Copy) in return for an honest review. I thank NetGalley, the publisher and the author for allowing me to read this title.
Detective Katie Scott, is working cold cases in her new position. One is for a woman who was held hostage but there was no further follow up. Katie begins to investigate and soon a body turns up. Can Katie solve this case in a race against time when another woman has gone missing. Keeping her ptsd, and a blossoming romance under control is becoming hard for Katie. Is she strong enough?
What a great second instalment in this series. Katie is really evolving into a brilliant character and I hope she gets more laughs in her next book!
Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for this arc in exchange for my honest review.
I really liked Katie's character. As an ex-officer in the army who specialised in bomb disposal, Katie has PTSD to contend with in her new role as a Detective. She does have her adorable partner, Cisco the dog, to help her through though. I also really liked the other characters like McGaven, Chad and Nick. I thought they were well written and just lovable.

Her Last Whisper is book 2 in the series and even though it can be read on its own I will definitely be going back to read the first one to find out more about the missing girls case. This book was a good pace with enough suspense to keep me engaged all the way to the explosive ending.

I look forward to reading more about Katie's life in any future additions to the series.
I received a digital advanced reader copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This books was soooo much more intense than the first one! I did really enjoy it! I think I even liked it more than the first.

This author has a wonderful writing style that just drags you in to the story and doesn't let you go. I really enjoyed how descriptive this book is and how much detail it goes into. I really hope we see more in this series. I cannot wait to see what happens next.

Thank you for allowing me to review this title.
Jennifer Chase has introduced is to her latest detective Kate Scott. Having done two tours in Afghanistan in the K9 division Kate has had her own share of trauma to overcome but is strong willed and determined to be a good detective.
Her first job is to review cold cases to determine what there are any angles she can apply to get them moving again. And as luck would have it, it quickly went to homicide
Can Kate hold !up under pressure or will she d tumble send fall ?
You'll to read it to find lout
I was a little late to the party, reading this book. I nearly missed it altogether but I am glad that I didn't! This is the second book in the series but can easily be read as a standalone (although now I want to read the first one).

Katie Scott is a newly minted Detective who is excited to be working in the cold case department. It is nice and quiet, which suits her, and she can spend the time she needs just percolating the information  in the case files through her active brain. She has some lovely colleagues in various departments at the station, who help her, and of course her dog, Cisco, is never far away. I loved her dog so much! I also liked the relationship she had with McGaven, and also Nick, her buddy from her Army days. All in all, Katie is quite a force to be reckoned with.

There were certainly lots of different threads to weave in this book but it worked out very well indeed. I was tossing up who the murderer could be but I genuinely didn't know until the author revealed it! This story had me on the edge of my seat more than once. I can't wait to read the next book in the series.

5 stars from me.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture.
Well written thriller with everything you like, many twists and turns, suspects, you don't know what's going on for sure, and the ending is surprising, it's good!
Entertaining, captivating, well developed storyline with good characters and a good pace.
I was into it from page one!

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for the ARC of this book.  This is my honest review.  All opinions are my own.
Number two in the Katie Scott series and as I’d just finished the first Little Girls Sleeping, I was excited to read this as I love the opportunity of reading books in a series back to back. I was a little disappointed as there was a marked sameness to the two, original detectives being irritated at Katie’s involvement, letters being left etc. That being said it was a good read and with the introduction of new characters from Katie’s past the subplot seems like it has much to give. I’ll be interested to read the third addition when it’s published
Nobody dies on Katie's watch! NOBODY!
When Amanda is found she looked like a mannequin, not the woman Katie vowed to protect.
Sadly, the pleas for help went unanswered just days earlier when no evidence could back up her statement of a kidnapping.
Well, that's nothing but the now infamous wrist marks that appear to have been made from being held in captivity.
This nurse was beloved by the entire community, but perhaps not by everyone.
Her Last Whisper was as chilling, dynamic, and heartbreaking as they come in epic thrillers.
If you want to a good read you've found it with Jennifer Chase's new work.
Thank you to Jennifer, the publisher, NetGalley, and Amazon Kindle for this ARC in exchange for this honest review.
Thank you NetGalley for the ARC of her last whisper by Jennifer Chase. I really enjoyed this gritty drama because it was full of mystery, suspense and twists and turns but I wish I had read the first book first. I hate not starting a series with book one. This was amazing though and I most definitely recommend.
This was a great follow up to the first Detective Katie Scott book, as it was filled with suspense and the plot moved at a fast pace.  I cannot wait to see what happens next in this series!
Very well written. The plot was very clever in that you would guess the culprit but the author has you guessing until the very end.
I was quite excited to read this book after reading the first book in the series, “Little Girls Sleeping” earlier this year.

Katie Scott has been promoted to Detective after the harrowing events of “Little Girl’s Sleeping “ and is now in charge of the Cold Case Division.  She decides to follow up on a file, that after first glance, is anything but cold.

“Her Last Whisper” was a very good book, and it was great to see Katie back catching bad guys, but there were some parts of the story that felt a little rushed.  It just would have been nice to have a little “more”.  More on Katie and Nick’s relationship, more on the details of the case, more on Katie and Chad’s relationship. I guess it’s good I’m left wanting more because I know I’ll be back for book #3 to see if I get my “more”.

Thank you to Bookouture and Netgalley for an advanced copy of  "Her Last Whisper"
The second in the Detective Katie Scott series was a good crime thriller but was missing just a few things. It seemed as if there were a lot of superficial observations. I thought the case itself was compelling, but there were aspects that either were not addressed at all or tossed off with a “we’ll never know” attitude – that didn’t ring true to me. I also felt the motivation of the culprit was not as detailed as it could have been. It was still an enjoyable read, though. For a full review, please visit my blog at Fireflies and Free Kicks Fiction Reviews. Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for a complimentary, pre-release, digital ARC of the book.
Her Last Whisper is the second book in the Detective Katie Scott series and is a cross between a thriller and a police procedural. Former Afghanistan bomb disposal expert and PTSD sufferer, Katie has just joined a cold case squad and is combing the books for open cases she may be able to solve when she discovers the kidnapping of Amanda Payton. Payton managed to escape her twisted captor and so Katie decides to pay her a visit to see what information she can provide despite it being six months later. She then learns of Amanda's demise a day later; she has been brutally murdered and her body dumped like rubbish. Above all, Katie feels extremely guilt-ridden as she had only a day earlier promised to protect Amanda, and then another woman goes missing.

Although lacking a bit of grit I felt this was a well written, gripping and intense thriller with enough mystery and criminality to keep you turning the pages. The plot is full of excitement, suspense and a few shocks along the way, with chapters primarily from Katie's perspective but also some dedicated to the suffering of the last victim and a look inside the warped mind of the killer himself; I always enjoy these extra insights as it immerses you in the whole story more. Ms Chase has done a sterling job of striking the right balance between keeping the outcome concealed and teasing us with some small but intriguing reveals throughout. I like protagonist, Katie, and look forward to watching her blossom as the series continues. Highly recommended. Many thanks to Bookouture for an ARC.
Back in June I reviewed Jennifer Chase’s first book in the Detective Katie Scott series, ‘Little Girls Sleeping‘ and absolutely loved it, so when I heard book two, ‘Her Last Whisper’ was out I just had to read it.

The series follows ex-army officer Katie Scott who now works for Pine Valley Police Department as a detective. In book two Katie is assigned to the Cold Cases department to see if she can find any new leads on cases that were filed away months or years early and where nobody was charged with an offence.

Whilst going through the files she comes across a case that is only six-months-old. The kidnapping of Amanda Peyton. Amanda was discovered one night by two officers whose car she ran in front of. She was distressed and told the officers that she had been kidnapped, but the location she gave the officers could not be found and without any other evidence, the case was closed for the time being until new evidence was found.

Katie is not happy with the way the case was handled and decided to make it her first cold case to work on. On talking to Amanda she discovers that Amanda believes her kidnapper is watching her, waiting to pounce again. Katie also discovers that evidence taken from Amanda on the night was not processed nor did anyone search the location she gave thoroughly. She was dismissed as being mentally ill.

Katie’s leads take her to an asylum where a woman claims to have no memory of who she is, but her case is similar to Amanda’s, could the cases be related? Does the woman really not know who she is or is she pretending to protect herself? And who is leaving Katie notes telling her whether she is on the right or the wrong trail?

Detective Katie Scott is a fabulous character. Although she is a detective, she was in the army for so long that she thinks more like a soldier. She also has her old partner and service dog Cisco with her who is always on alert and ready to protect Katie at a moment’s notice.

The plot for ‘Her Last Whisper’ is harrowing, women being attacked from behind, knocked unconscious, blind folder and taken to an unknown location. The kidnapper rarely speaks to them except he when he wants his victims to ‘tell him the truth’ and gets off on hearing their confessions.

Katie is trying to put all the pieces of the puzzle together and has a few suspects in her sights, but she is concerned that someone is playing games with her too.

The book is filled with twists, turns, and red herrings and kept me on the edge of my seat, especially the snippet sections from the kidnapper/killer who seemed to be very calculating and unhinged.

Just like with the first book I was invested from the first page to the last wanting to know who the culprit was and why he was targeting these women. I raced through the pages needing to know more. The conclusion whilst not a complete surprise was certainly fulfilling.

If you love detective thrillers then this series is amongst the best out there, believe me, I have read a lot of them. I would highly recommend ‘Her Last Whisper’, however, although I believe it could be read as a standalone to understand Katie and her way of thinking you really need to read book one first.
How terrifying to be kidnapped and nobody believes what you’re saying. The feeling of being all alone and someone just waiting to snatch you again. This time there will be no coming back. Katie wants to help Amanda but there isn’t enough to go on and when Amanda is found dead a cold case suddenly is very present. The last chapters really had me in a frenzy. All I could think of was: Don’t hurt the dog. Don’t. Please.
Katie Scott has been promoted and is now a detective, assigned to heading up the cold case department. The first case she chooses is that of Amanda who claimed to have been kidnapped but then refused to cooperate with police after they doubted her in light of no evidence.
Katie makes contact with Amanda and convinces her to trust her, but within days Katie is called to a crime scene with Amanda’s body at its centre. Katie tracks down another potential victim in a psychiatric ward who is too traumatised to remember her own identity. And then they get the news that another victim has been snatched…
Her Last Whisper continues in the narrative style of Jennifer Chase’s previous book in the series, Little Girls Sleeping. Tha majority of the focus is on Katie and her investigation rather than the murderer and victims, although we do have brief chapters showing their perspective to bring out the human element of the case.
Katie remains a strong lead character, supported by her army dog Cisco and new partner McGaven. Her relationship with childhood friend Chad has not progressed since the last book as they have both been concentrating on their careers. Katie’s life is still affected by her army flashbacks and in this book she has a side investigation of trying to locate a fellow vet’s brother (I did wonder if the two cases were linked, suspicious old me.)
The plot is delivered in short chapters which keep the pace flowing quickly and bring new developments to the case with urgency. The conclusion of the book had more explanation than the previous one (which had been my only complaint) so this was a good solid police procedural novel.