Cover Image: The Lucky One

The Lucky One

In this modern age of true crime podcasts and armchair detectives, this book explores the lives of two women as their paths begin to intersect over missing persons. Rader-Day introduces us to flawed characters that are instantly relatable and takes us on a journey of discovering their mysteries, past and present.
I loved the characters and the storyline development of this book. It was absolutely one of my favorites so far and I can't wait to delve in to the next one that this author writes. The storyline was simple, enjoyable, and entertaining. The characters were complex while being completely entertaining.
One of Rader-Day's best novels, tight plotting, fast paced, and thoroughly intriguing from beginning to end. I loved that there was a "real" story behind it. I think it's my favorite -- in addition to "The Day I Died." Alice's harrowing journey to solve her own kidnapping as a child is weaved into a complex plot that involves family, secrets, and confronting old fears--all set in Chicago and the rural Midwest. I loved it!
This had a very interesting premise and a successful resolution. At times I felt like there was too much going on. Also I didn’t care for the sections that incorporated group chat.
4 stars

The book had a slow start, I had to start it a few times and I’m glad I did. After I got about 30% in I was hooked.  I ended up finishing it in 2 days!

The Lucky One is told from 2 point of views and they eventually intertwine with each other. The build up is quite an interesting story, and a bit sad at some points. I enjoyed this book, it was well written and kept my attention after getting through the first couple of chapters. If you don’t get sucked in right away, give the book a chance!
Lori Radar-Day stuns again with another thrilling novel, The Lucky One, which centers around Alice, a young woman who sees the face of her childhood abductor on a missing persons page.  Through broken memories, Alice begins a dangerous journey to find the truth, culminating in a soul-shattering revelation.  If you have not read any of the Edgar Award-nominated and Anthony and Mary Higgins Clark award winning author Lori Radar-Day’s novels, RUN RUN RUN to get this one!  Radar-Day deftly takes you on a non-stop mystery cleverly constructed to keep you guessing until the end.  Her genius storytelling does not disappoint!
Intriguing and mysterious, this book grabbed me from the beginning and didn't let me go. I was invested in the characters and rooted for them. I thought I knew how the book was going to end, but I was pleasantly surprised.
Definitely a must-read.
This was a slower read. There were a lot going on and it didn't really blend well.. It seemed that all of the characters knew something, except Alice.
I just couldn't get into this book. I read the book description, but the story seemed to start in a very convoluted way.  Loads of unnecessary descriptive language without any meaningful direction. I simply kept falling asleep while reading it and forgetting what it was about. I'm afraid I had to abandon.
I would like to start off by saying that I am not a great writer.  Not even good.  Honestly, I don't even write.  And any author who creates a story out of ideas in their head and puts it out there for my potential reading enjoyment is awesome.  Believe me, I couldn't do it.  But, I've got to say that this book was just a lemon for me.  I loved the premise and description of this book.  I even liked the cover.  But, I  somehow just kept trying to push through this story to merely get to the end of it.

That's not to say that I didn't enjoy parts of it or that it didn't have admirable features.  As I mentioned, the premise is cool.  Alice, the main character, having been kidnapped as a child herself, works with a website organization that tries to identify missing Jane/John Does.  One day she sees a John Doe posted that she identifies as her kidnapper and it is abruptly taken down.  Cool concept, ripe for mystery and drama.  It's just that I felt like the mystery was too darkly cloaked and erupted randomly.  The drama involving the characters seemed to see-saw as well.  At one point they feel this way about this important aspect of the story, nothing arises to really drop you any clues that they should feel another way about it, then they precede to completely turn a 180 on the topic into another emotion or mentality about the same story aspect.  I will say that I didn't guess the ending, but I don't know if that was because I wasn't paying enough attention in the story or that it was pulled out of the hat abruptly without any context until the end game was revealed at last.  Even the end game wasn't explained enough for me.  Maybe I'm just being picky.

Did I feel that the dialogue was clunky at times?  Yes.  Were the characters too mysterious and sketchy to really pin down enough to care about?  Sometimes.  Was this a cool concept mystery/thriller that had some snazzy scenes sprinkled inside?  Of course.  I won't say that I loved it, but if you're looking for a good basic mystery to pass your time, give it a try.  Sometimes you want some razzle dazzle, but sometimes a good warm meal can satisfy.  I give this a 3 out of 5 stars mainly because I didn't truly guess the ending.  Take of that as you will.

I would like to thank the publisher and NetGalley for an eGalley of this book.
DNF. Thank you NetGalley and Publisher for this early copy! I decided to not keep reading this one, it was not for me. Thanks!
A nice addition to the crime genre. A solid purchase for collections where thrillers are particularly popular.
Good Review Template:
Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and the author, for an ARC of this book, in exhange for an honest review.
I have heard alot of great things about Lori Rader-Day and I jumped at the chance to read her latest book, The Lucky One. I love a good thriller and this book was very interesting, complex, well written, addictive and it had me second guessing myself the whole time.
I would definitely read another book by this author.
I sit down to write this review. Instead I read the Sunday New York Times. I sit back down to write this review. Instead I take a nap. I sit down to write this review, instead I make potato salad. Why? Because the book is so darn good I am afraid my poor words will not serve the reader of this review.

As a rule I do not read thrillers.  I am more the type who looks both ways 4 times before crossing a street.  No one who loves me will throw me a 'surprise' party. When an author opens her work with the sentence "This thread is getting long and tedious already and you jerks are starting to repeat yourselves." I say, oh please more.

Rader-Day tells us about Alice, who works for her father, Some say she is only taking up space, living the life of privilege . Others might dig deeper, and remember her as someone who survived a childhood abduction. But no one, not even Alice, is willing to dig deep enough to find her true center. Rader-Day contrasts her with Merrily. Tied to a dead grind job complete with hungry eyed "Billy",  She lives in the city; but feels still tied by an umbilical cord to her mother.  Her birthday has come and gone, with no word from Rick. Rick the plot hangs on Rick. Who is he? Good guy? Bad guy? Alive? Dead?  Rader-Day kept me guessing, and reading quickly.  I don't reread often, but look out, this story should be ready for a slow satisfying re read.

Reader, you be The Lucky One, choose this thriller next.
William Morrow Paperbacks and NetGalley provided me with an electronic copy of The Lucky One. I voluntarily chose to review this book and my opinion is freely given.

Alice was stolen from her backyard when she was a child, but, luckily, her policeman father was able to find her within 24 hours. As an adult, Alice volunteers for a website called The Doe Pages, dedicated to connecting the dots and finding lost loved ones. When Alice sees a face she recognizes, which subsequently disappears from the site, will her search for the truth lead to danger?

The author does not do a good job of connecting the characters to the story, leaving main character Alice, among others, mainly flat. The truth of the past is delivered with such dispassion that it barely makes a blip in the plot. I expected more from this book because of the strength of the premise, so I was disappointed. For these reasons, I would not recommend it to other readers.
When something tragic happens in our lives, some people try to push away the memories, while others run toward them.  Alice was kidnapped as a child, but was luckily rescued by her policeman father within twenty-four hours of being taken.  She now spends her free time helping solve the mysteries of missing persons on a website called The Doe Pages, where she attempts to identify those who have vanished into thin air and reconnect them with their families.  But what happens when the very man who kidnapped her appears on The Doe Pages as a missing person?  Alice is determined to track him down and solve the mystery of her childhood kidnapping at all costs.

Lori Rader-Day's The Lucky One is a good, not great, suspense thriller.  This book contains all of the elements that will keep any fan of the genre happy - an intricately-plotted mystery, layered backstories, a plot twist ending - but it ran a little too slow and clunky for my personal tastes.  There is a lot going on in this story of missing memories and shady dealings, and I therefore believe it would benefit either from a faster pace or a more streamlined plot.  The slower pace and complicated storyline made it difficult to maintain my focus and stay invested in the plot.  On the other hand, Rader-Day builds interest in The Lucky One by weaving together the lives of two different women who are mysteriously connected to the same questionable man.  I was compelled to keep reading just to find out how the storylines of the women tie together in the end.

Read The Lucky One if you are looking for a solid suspenseful read.
By no means was this book "bad", but for one that had so much going on,  it left me wanting MORE.  I made it about 40% through,  and stopped at that point. I will not be reviewing this book elsewhere,  at least not until I am able to come back and attempt to reread it.
It took me a little while to get into this one, it didn't pull me in the way I was hoping. I did get interested in it to see where things were going but to be 100 I just didn't find the wow factor many others may have. I wished it was more action-packed I guess.
It was good I am not saying by any means that it was poorly written it was not. I think I was just in the mood for more action and drama and I feel like I didn't really get that until I got closer to the end of the book.
Stolen from her home as a child, Alice was found by her Policeman father within 24 hours and returned home.  Now as an adult, she helps find the missing and returns them to their loved ones.   Never did she imagine that she would recognize the face of a man who took her, nor did she ever imagine that she’d see him again.  Now she’s hell bent on finding him before he hurts others and she’ll stop at nothing to do it.

“The Lucky One” had a lot going on throughout, while including a lot of different moving parts.  While I enjoyed it, I felt like the puzzle pieces never quite fit properly, and left a lot to be desired.  This may simply have been the case of my being the wrong reader for this novel.

Thank you to NetGalley and HarperCollins for an arc of this novel.
2.5*
After reading the premise for this book I knew I had to have it!

Alice was kidnapped right out of her own front yard! But thankfully and luckily her father was able to find and bring her back home.  Did I mention he just happened to be a police officer too?!💁🏻‍♀️

Years later Alice volunteers on a website to help reunite missing people with their families.  When she sees a profile of a man who she believes kidnapped her all those years ago, suddenly she is compelled to dig deeper to find him.  Little does she know what lies ahead.

Oh I wish this book would have worked for me.  Unfortunately I never connected with the writing and therefore with the characters.  I was left frustrated that such a great premise left me wanting so much more.

Thank you to NetGalley and HarperCollins.