King of Hearts

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 09 Oct 2019

I just could not get into this book, I disliked it (and the MC) so much. Maybe if I'd read some of the earlier in the series books??
So I did enjoy reading King of Hearts. The overall Alice in Wonderland genderbend theme, mixed in with a few other fairytales plus some romance and you have a winner right there! Still, there were a number of issues that prevented me from loving it.

The story is mainly set in Wonderland which is now ruled by Crimson, The King of Hearts, a very mixed up young man emotionally. He never seems happy unless someone else is unhappy and if he is not please his reply is always ‘off with their head’.

After a coup d’etat by his mother and father, Crimson aka Crim finds himself in the proximity of his sworn enemy, Alister, and seeks his help to regain his kingdom, his memories and the one he truly loves!

The main problem I had with the novel was it’s overall way of being written. It jumped back and forth between past and present events, sometimes taking up far too much detail in the story when it wasn’t needed and could have been condensed down.

On the bright side, the sex-scene between Crim and Katrina was really well written. It wasn’t trashy or OTT but written to the point it got your heart racing, I was wanting to know where it was going to lead to, mand the interaction between the two characters throughout the whole novel takes you on a rollercoaster ride of emotions making you want to read more into their relationship maybe in a sequel or further in the novel.

I did find Crim to be a little bit unbearable when other characters were trying to be nice to him and he was having none of it, I couldn’t understand his true change of heart after being put to the brink of death by the Cheshire Cat people. But hey-ho we can’t have everything!

Throughout the whole novel we see Crimson overcome many obstacles of emotions and strength. He learns a lot from his past decisions and also from the decisions he makes during the story and knows where he has gone wrong and where he needs to go to make things right. The camaraderie growth between the characters throughout the novel was done wonderfully by L A Johnson and I was taken in from the beginning.
Delectably different and extremely satisfying. Genderbent fairytales are my new favorite fairytales. The King of Hearts has my heart. 5/5 stars
We return to wonderland to catch up with the King of Hearts, Crimson, who has been manipulated by his wicked mother resulting in him being unable to remember his feelings for Cheshire Cat slave, Katrina, who has been placed in an enchanted sleep by Sorcerer Maleficent. The evil enchantress wants to rule again and has initiated a wicked plan for it to be forever night, allowing her daughter’s army of underworld warriors to take over. I totally love the world created by KuroKoneko Kamen and have started investigating her other titles. She has an amazing imagination and her stories are so detailed and descriptive that its difficult not to imagine everything in glorious technicolour. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Very interesting, Gender Bent retelling of Alice in Wonderland. Very interesting storyline and strange characters.