Cover Image: Get Out of Your Head

Get Out of Your Head

This book absolutely changed my life, and then fell flat later on. Ultimately, it may not tell you anything you've never heard before, but it may say those things in a way that makes it actually sink in. Like when your parents gave you advice and you were like "ugh, whatever..." but then a cool mentor said the same thing weeks later and it felt like the best information you've ever received? That's how her main concept hit me. I do think I'm better because of reading this book, but I also think it's important to have the right additional tools (community, therapy, etc...) to truly make all the difference. It's a good starting place.
This book is practical, relatable and full of wisdom. As someone who struggles with anxiety I found it very helpful!
What a book for me as a woman!  I know that I definitely struggle to corral the runaway thoughts that run rampant in my mind.

Right from the start, Allen, hit it on the head - "I began to see a patent work in many of us. Our emotions were leading us to thoughts, and those thoughts were dictating our decisions, and our decisions were determining behaviors, and then the behaviors were shaping our relationships, all of which would take us back to either healthy or unhealthy thought.
      Round and round and round we go, spinning down, seemingly out of control..."  Boom!  She hit the nail on the head.  Ultimately, she talks about getting to the root of the problem and how we think clearly affects how we live.
My only wish is that she utilized more scripture in the ways that she articulated her arguments.
I was really looking forward to reading this book as I struggle with toxic thoughts nearly every day. Although I have to say once reading it, I switched off. I believe in God but I don't attribute my mental health to God and I think that is why I couldn't read the book properly. It is a lot of God's teachings and how god wants us to feel and honestly I don't believe this. The reason I believe the toxic thoughts is because of past experiences and believing in God doesn't change that. I personally would have preferred a book of ways to prevent the toxic thoughts without God's teachings as then it could be available for everyone not just Christians. That is my personal opinion anyway. Others may feel completely different
“Get Out Of Your Head” is the first book I’ve read by Jennie Allen.  It’s a practical look at how our thoughts contribute to our attitude and gives a roadmap on how to challenge them.

Anyone who’s struggles with overthinking, anxiety, or self-doubt will want to pick this book up.
I found this book to be helpful in overcoming negative thoughts. But I also thought it was very wordy and kept repeating the same points. This book was just “ok.”
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I appreciated the disclaimer that Jennie Allen put at the beginning that she was addressing toxic, anxious thoughts we have to combat as believers and NOT chemical imbalances that cause depression, anxiety, and other mental health issues. She made it very clear that they were different which was important. I read this during recovery from a major surgery which gave me a great perspective as I went through the ups and downs of healing. I would absolutely recommend this book to any fellow follower of Christ!!!

Thank you to NetGalley and WaterBrook Multnomah for the free copy in exchange for an honest review!
Overall, there were aspects of this book I enjoyed. I liked how Jennie wove her story and her mental health journey with scripture and neuroscience. However, at times I felt that there was too much going on - she didn't get too into scripture, or too into neuroscience. It just felt like too much and that it wasn't always done well. Depending on how much you are willing to "do your own work," this book could be a good stepping stone to overcoming toxic thoughts and patterns in your life. I thought there would have been more practical strategies included (like the mind map) but didn't quite get the connection of how everything fit together.

I received a complimentary copy of this ebook from the publisher via NetGalley. All opinions are my own.
I've heard a lot about the author, IF and her Bible studies so was eager to read this book. I found the book interesting but wanted more depth. Maybe a Bible study with the interjection of other's knowledge and viewpoints would work better. I do appreciate the author's difficult journey and her willingness to share.
Jennie has such an amazing way of speaking and writing straight from the word of God. This book came at exactly the right time in my life and I have sonce been able to share it with so many women struggling with the same issue of being in their head.
The title of this book grabbed my attention. I found the beginning the book engrossing and felt inspired by stories of the author shared that "made [her] wild with faith". I love that kind of thing. '[She] was overwhelmed with how real and true it all was - God. Heaven. The enemy. This was we're in". The last 1/4 of the book felt a little repetitive but also the author was using this to reinforce her points, which remained true through out the book. I still recommend the book.
This book came at a good time in my life when I was constantly struggling with the thoughts in my head. Learning way to change the way I think about things and how to improve some of my thought processes helped make positive changes in my mental health.
I really, really enjoyed this book. The authenticity of the author as well as the practical information made for a great read. I loved that there was so much Scripture used in the book and that the book was just so relatable.

I think that especially for contemporary women, we get caught up in toxic thought processes that can really affect our lives and relationships. The scientific research presented in this book was fascinating and it also gives hope - we DO have the power to change our thinking patterns and even rewire our brains! How awesome is that!

This was such an easy read and although it was the first time I've read a book by this author (I am very familiar with Jennie Allen and the IF: gathering, I've just never read one of her books) it won't be the last. I would highly recommend this book to anyone struggling with toxic thoughts or even those who want to help others escape spiraling thinking patterns.

Thank you to the publisher for allowing me to read and rate this book!

EDITED to add: Amazon finally published my review and I've included the link.

(Please note that I DID leave a review for this book on Amazon, but as of the writing of this review Amazon has not published it yet. I'm not sure what's going on with Amazon, but this is not the only issue I've had recently with posting reviews on Amazon.)
Spiralling, toxic thought patterns and the skills to subvert them, relying on God's promises and His love is the subject of Jennie Allen's Get Out of Your Head. Sharing stories and strategies, personal experience and biblical affirmations, she helps lay a groundwork for taking control of negative thoughts.

Reading and discussing this book with a group of friends, we chose not to utilize the complimentary study guide and other resources available. While various opinions were expressed about the Get Out of Your Head, including an observation that it never quite got to the meat of things, my impression is that this is a worthwhile read though what a reader takes from it will vary based on their experiences, faith foundation, and in particular their expectations of this text. It did remind me a bit of the spiral learning model, with every story and every chapter really circling back but without adding anything significant.

For those new to the application of biblical teaching to encourage healthy thought patterns, the repetition may be valuable. It may also serve as a refresher for those with more exposure to this process.

This review refers to a digital galley I voluntarily read via NetGalley, courtesy of the publisher. A positive review was not required and all opinions expressed are my own (except where stated).
If you are extremely religious then you might like this book. If you believe the devil an actual physical being then you might like this book. If you are still comfortable with flippant use of ableist or classist slurs then you might like this book. However, if you find issue with reducing every action and belief in your life to God, placing all evil in the world on one physical being, or any sort of oppression you will quickly check out and find issue with this book.
GET OUT OF YOUR HEAD
BY JENNIE ALLEN

First, I would like to thank Author, Jennie Allen and the Publisher, WaterBrook & Multnomah for so kind and generously gifting me with my terrific, ARC of this inspirational book. I am very impressed with both the writing and the multifaceted manner in which Jennie Allen presents her case with which she demonstrates in several schools of thought how to capture a toxic and negative thought and work to not let it take you on a defeating spiraling journey downwards. Jennie herself opens this non-fiction gem explaining how for over a year and a half she experienced this downward spiral herself after a woman approached her and said something like a threat and then went on to make a scene at one of Jennie's speaking venues. Jenny would wake up every very early in the morning between 3:00 AM and 5:00 AM and felt like God had abandoned her or she had lost her faith in God.

Jennie's voice in this narrative is like she is speaking to the reader during a conversation. She has used scientific, psychological, physiological and her deep beliefs in Scripture as well as a couple of Author's such as C.S. Lewis and Brene Brown to make her very valid point of empowering the reader with tools to not getting trapped and experiencing Jennie's own battle. This was interesting and a book that I will return to again in the future as I found it very compelling and comforting. Some people may be put off because it is heavily reliant on religion as a tool, but it didn't bother me and to be honest as I found it to be soothing the way the religious content was presented.

The favorite chapter for me was about gratitude. I have long believed that practicing being grateful and saying thank you were powerful ways to keep a positive attitude. All I have to do is look around me each day and there are always many things to be grateful for in my own life. What I didn't know was that by consciously choosing to be grateful rather than complain rewires the brain. Jennie uses an example of a friend of her's who was stewing and fuming on her commute everyday to work for Anthropologie. Her friend thought that she was wasting her education and college degree. Her friend chose to shift her thinking and it was like a 180 degree turnaround in attitude towards her co-worker's and her customer's. She began seeing them as real people with real stories and it all had to do with the grace of choice.

I wasn't sure if I was going to like this but I ended up really liking it a lot. It's not preachy and it is filled with relatable content. As I said already I am very grateful to have discovered this book because I know I will return to it again. I found so much value in this if it weren't for over committing myself to other deadlines I would read it again after just finishing it. I would recommend this to reader's that are willing to keep an open mind and who want to strengthen their Spirituality. I really don't think that I have done this excellent book justice. Five plus stars!

Publication Date: January 28, 2020

A Huge Debt of Gratitude to Net Galley, Jennie Allen and WaterBrook & Multnomah Publishing for generously providing me with my ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review. All opinion's are my own.

#GetOutofYourHead #JennieAllen #WaterBrook&MultnomahPublishing #NetGalley
I was very interested in the title of the book, getting out of my own head would be great.  But even though the book summary mentions that it's for a Christian audience, I was unprepared for how heavy-handed the religious aspect was.  I consider myself a religious person, but it was too much for me.  I did, however, appreciate the author's message that our brain lies to us and we need to interrupt that cycle.  I found that reminder to be very helpful.
Jennie Allen writes a beautiful tribute to God and His faithfulness concerning our minds. I left grateful for my struggles in a way because it leads us closer to the cross and God Himself. She gives practical tips to stop the mental spiraling we all find ourselves on and then ultimately points us back to scripture and God. This book was a breath of a fresh air, and one I have recommended in real life several times over the last year.
"How we think, shapes our lives." I found this book to be more theoretical than practical but that doesn't mean it is devoid of anything useful as evidenced by the massive amount of quotes I highlighted! This is a great book to have on hand whenever you find the challenges of life and its negativity spiraling around in your thoughts. There is Scripture and encouragement throughout to help the reader remember to choose wisely what thoughts are allowed to take up residence in your brain. Thanks to NetGalley for the chance to read this one!
This book meets us where we are in a society of "Am I good Enough" and teaches that God's love says we are. Throughout the book, words of wisdom are shared alongside Bible passages of encouragement to stop overthinking and letting self-doubt flourish. I loved this one! So important in our society today! Thank you to NetGalley and WaterBrook & Multnomah for a copy of this book for an honest review.