Cover Image: Get Out of Your Head

Get Out of Your Head

I was very interested in the title of the book, getting out of my own head would be great.  But even though the book summary mentions that it's for a Christian audience, I was unprepared for how heavy-handed the religious aspect was.  I consider myself a religious person, but it was too much for me.  I did, however, appreciate the author's message that our brain lies to us and we need to interrupt that cycle.  I found that reminder to be very helpful.
Jennie Allen writes a beautiful tribute to God and His faithfulness concerning our minds. I left grateful for my struggles in a way because it leads us closer to the cross and God Himself. She gives practical tips to stop the mental spiraling we all find ourselves on and then ultimately points us back to scripture and God. This book was a breath of a fresh air, and one I have recommended in real life several times over the last year.
"How we think, shapes our lives." I found this book to be more theoretical than practical but that doesn't mean it is devoid of anything useful as evidenced by the massive amount of quotes I highlighted! This is a great book to have on hand whenever you find the challenges of life and its negativity spiraling around in your thoughts. There is Scripture and encouragement throughout to help the reader remember to choose wisely what thoughts are allowed to take up residence in your brain. Thanks to NetGalley for the chance to read this one!
This book meets us where we are in a society of "Am I good Enough" and teaches that God's love says we are. Throughout the book, words of wisdom are shared alongside Bible passages of encouragement to stop overthinking and letting self-doubt flourish. I loved this one! So important in our society today! Thank you to NetGalley and WaterBrook & Multnomah for a copy of this book for an honest review.
I found this book to be very helpful in realizing when my thoughts start spiraling that I have a choice to stop the spiral or continue it.
Thank you NetGalley and Waterbrook & Multnomah for this ARC!
I saw the cover of this book and knew I had to request it! As someone who has struggled with anxiety and negative thoughts over the past 10+ years this book has some really great tools in how to change your mindset. It was a little heavy for me with all the biblical references, but overall a great read!
Such an important book for these couple of years as the virus practically holds the world hostage. As we stay at home more and consume anxiety-causing news day in and day out, we need to control the thoughts that can overwhelm us. The author tells us that it is possible to rein in our thoughts and that we are the boss of our thoughts (and hence our actions) and she explains how we can biblically replace those toxic brain activities.

I found this book a bit wordy and repetitive at times but overall, it has the potential to change our lives for the better!
At first, I would like to thank Netgalley and Waterbrookmultnomah for allowing me to review this book. Keep in mind that my review, however, is my true opinion on this book.

“Get out of your head”! The title says it all. And Jeannie Allen has done it again! Yet another incredible book, which you have to read!

Do not let your thoughts hold you captive! That is the message of this book. And Jeannie Allen will in this book help you to get there. Even with all the chaos in life, there is hope for you!

Jeannie Allen found a way out of the bad and negative spiral by learning about the brain through TED talks, brainy podcasts, documentaries and so on. In this book, she sums up all the things she has learned about the brain to help you succeed in life!

This is a personal book, while being a book to help you. Jeannie Allen uses herself and her own life to come up with examples, and to let you know, that you are not the only one, who gets stuck in your own head. In fact, Jeannie Allen has been there herself at several points in her life. I love that the language in the book reflects that, and reflects the author. It makes the book credible, and at the same time emotional.

The wise words Jeannie Allen points in our direction in this book are worthy to reflect on and to remember. I am sure this book will change some people's lives for the better.

If you already know Jeannie Allen and love the work she does, this will be the perfect book for you. You might have already listened to her podcast, and if you love it, this will be a perfect book for you! Or you might not know who Jeannie Allen is, but just prepare yourself for wisdom and passion from this sweet spirit!

“Get out of your head” is a beautiful book with an incredible message. Do yourself a favor and get yourself this book right away! You will not regret it!
Thank NetGalley and WaterbrookMultnomah for the gifted book!

Synopsis: “As he thinks in his heart so is he.” What if you could actually control your thoughts? This is the idea that Jennie Allen explores and explains in detail in her book, Get Out of Your Head. Through a Bible-based method, Jennie walks through different lies we choose to believe and how we can combat those lies with the truth. We can “take every thought captive” and learn to think like Jesus.

Analysis: If I could give you just one piece of advice, go get this book right now. This was a book that I just didn’t know how badly I needed. I mean, crying during a nonfiction, Christian living book? Whew. But it hit right to the heart. Jennie handles the lies we face in a beautiful, genuine, conversational style, and she gives practical, biblical tips for overcoming those lies. I adored this book and I think every single human being would benefit from these truths. Whether or not you have troubling thoughts at this moment, you probably will sometime in your life. This book gives you the tools you need to learn to speak truth to yourself.

Star Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

*Just a note: This book does not deal with individuals who suffer chemical imbalances or other similar struggles. Please know that there is absolutely nothing wrong with getting professional help. ❤️
This was a phenomenal read, mindset-shifting and truly empowering. Not only did it challenge limiting beliefs, but it grounded truths in the Word of God.
In today's world, more so than ever, the pressure is on for us to have it all, do it all, So what happens when you feel overwhelmed, stressed, scared or anxious? So many of us suffer in silence, spiraling downward at increasing speeds as we try to hold it in and keep it together without knowing where to turn for relief. Thoughts form negative feelings that can leave you thinking the worst about yourself and/or your life. Is that how you want to proceed through the rest of your life? If you're looking in to this book my guess is you're already at your wits end, you may even doubt the need for this book, assuming its another self help guru trying to sell you the magic fix like the dozen before you've read. This book is not a typical self help book.

Jennie Allen challenges readers to fight the battle against toxic thoughts with an approach that is deeply personal, yet not intimidating at all. Allen writes in a way that while reading you feel as though you are talking to a friend; She gently leads readers exactly where we need to be, showing us what we need to see, a combination of Bible verses mixed with science which feeds your spirit while satisfying any logical part of your brain that needs hard evidence. Her message is clear right from the start. WE CAN CHANGE.

I love that the beginning of the book states very clearly that mental health struggles are very real for some and require counseling or medicine and there is nothing wrong with that she tells us. God wants us to use the resources we have if we need to. Far too many books fail to touch on the subject at all so that statement and her experience with mental health was a very welcome breath of fresh air.

This book is necessary. Vital and powerful, inspirational and comforting. Do not miss this one!

I will note that I highly suggest buying a physical copy of this particular book as the format does not come through as strong in the ebook version, which is what I received from netgalley and the publishers in order for me to share my honest thoughts with you. Even with the minor issues of the ebook being not an ideal way to absorb this particular book I will still be buying several copies to be gifted to friends and family whom I know need this book just as much as I did
✦ 4/5 ✦

Many thanks to Netgalley and Waterbrook Multnomah for the copy for my review.
This was one of the most helpful books I've ever read, and I read it at a time I needed it most. I loved learning about how thoughts can literally rewire our brains and how our relationship with Christ fits into that...that made this one convicting yet encouraging read, and it's already started changing my life for the better! Taking every thought captive really IS that easy.
Allen's writing reads as if she's talking to you as a friend, which I found really comforting. Only thing I didn't like so much is that some points seemed really repetitive and I feel like she may have used a few too many examples from her own life, I thought that those parts overwhelmed the book and were often unnecessary.
If you're a Christian struggling with anxiety or your thought life in general (which probably encompasses so many things...so really, anyone should) read this book! I'm confident you'll at least pick up one thing to learn from it, if not a lot more.
Allen once again delivers a powerful message along with biblical truths. This books is especially good for those of us that struggle with anxiety and depression.

I received an advanced copy of this book through NetGalley. This is my honest review.
An important book. Jennie Allen is vulnerable in her pursuit of showing us a path away from spiraling thoughts. We have a choice. I have a choice. Such a simple, yet powerful, concept. Then she provides roadmaps for eight sets of thoughts- how to transfer them to choices and regain control of our thoughts.
I thought this was book was worth reading and it had some advice. I thought it was well written.
I read and and reviewed an Advanced Copy of this book All thoughts and opinions are of my own. Thank you NetGalley and WaterBrock for letting me read this book.
Jennie Allen teaches with passion and wisdom, but somehow also feels like a friend. Her desire to see her readers find freedom is evident in every sentence as she shares vulnerably about her own life and shares her hard-earned lessons with us. I’m so grateful for Jennie and the work she has done to help us all live more like Jesus and experience more of His power and love.
Wow. This was a great and fast read.
It wasnt exactly what I thought it was going to be but I did like a few of the takeaways. The religious theme was a little heavy for my taste but stopping the toxic thoughts in our heads is for everyone.
I thought the essential part was the positivity, attitude of gratitude and the power of friendship.
Thank you so much for letting me read this one. I suggested it to my religious women's group of friends and they are so happy to pick it up.
Get Out Of Your Head is a Christian women’s issues book by author Jennie Allen.

Get Out Of Your Head has three parts. Part one involves thinking about what we think about and what we believe. Part Two is about taking down the enemies of our minds. And, part three recommends thinking as Jesus thinks.

As Jennie says, “The greatest spiritual battle of our generation is being fought between our ears.” What if there was one thought that could change our thinking? According to the author, there is.

Jennie Allen doesn’t write down to the reader but as someone who fights the battle ongoing.

Disclaimer: I receive complimentary books from various sources, including, publishers, publicists, authors, and/or NetGalley. I am not required to write a positive review and have not received any compensation. The opinions shared here are my own entirely. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255
I sort of enjoyed this book but feel I was not in the right place to read it.
It was informative in a readable way and gave good insights into the brain. Yes this book is a Christian and it had very valid points to make but for me at this time, not for me.
I thought that this book did not help me deal with the toxic thoughts, it just made me aware of them.  She tells you why we shouldn't have them, but I felt guilty or bad for not being able to just give them to God like she advocates.  I thought it was unrealistic.  People have real problems - real things they need to deal with.