The Innkeeper's Bride

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 29 Feb 2020

The Innkeeper's Bride by Kathleen Fuller is the third book in the series The Brides of Birch Creek. Even though Selah and Dylan are the main characters the driving force behind the story, and the series in general, is the matchmaker, Cevilla Schlabach. Cevilla enlists the help of her friends to make sure true love finds the right people. In this book she tries very hard not to play matchmaker to Dylan and Selah. Unfortunately, along with Dylan's grandmother Cevilla can't seem to help herself. Dylan finds himself in charge of the family inn after an accident that prevents his father from taking care of the family business. Selah finds herself with a job at the Inn hoping to be able to move on after an incident in her past affects her future. This is a delightful story and so enjoyable to read. The characters are warm and inviting and I really wish I could spend a few days at Birch Creek in and get to know everyone!
I voluntarily received a copy of this book from NetGalley.
Another sweet story about the Amish of Birch Creek. I loved the Inn atmosphere and his the family supported each other with Grace and humor. I wanted to know more about Selah and her background. I loved that the author didn't make the relationship between Cevilla and Richard an easy one because life is not easy. Enjoyable read.
Opening an Inn is a new venture for the Stolls who have recently moved from Wisconsin to Birch Creek.  The father falls from the Inn’s roof while repairing shingles from a recent storm breaking his leg in two places and requiring surgery.

His son assumes the position of manager while his sister becomes caretaker to their Daed (Dad) and their Grossmammi (grandmother) cooks leaving them with needing a maid (actually an every body) as the person hired is maid, housekeeper, hostess and waitress among other duties.

Their first guest is the son of a man owning an Inn in a local city who is angry that the Stolls have opened their Inn and will be competition.  The father books his son into the inn to “snoop” and discover anything that can be used, to discredit the Inn.   The son, uncomfortable with it goes anyway hoping to thwart his father’s scheme.

Then bad reviews begin appearing on the Net about the Inn.  Because usually Amish would not have web sites for their businesses, these reviews were appearing on a Reviewer website for probably lodging and food services.  The reviews were of similar style in writing thus written by the same person and were definitely meant to destroy the Stoll Inn’s reputation.

Running concurrent to this main plot are smaller ones about two 80 year old residents and their romance and a young lady with depression.

Do the two octogenarians ever find happiness together?  Does the son of the disgruntled Hotel owner ever get out from under his father’s dictatorial thumb?  Will the Inn recover becoming a lovely place to stay?  Does the young lady overcome her depression?  Oh and will the lady and the Stoll Inn’s son realize they are meant for each other and look beyond the surface and risk a “leap of faith”.

I’ll never tell, you will have to read this book to discover these answers.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Zondervan Fiction through NetGalley.   All opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.
Kathleen Fuller writes quality Amish Fiction that entertains and engages the reader from beginning to end.  The Innkeeper's Bride is the third book in the Brides of Birch Creek series, but easily stands alone.

In this book, Kathleen tackles some of the hard issues in life, one being that of mental illness.  Selah Ropp is clinically depressed and is extremely cautious about her relationships.   Levi Stoll is the son of an Amish couple who are transforming an Englisch house into a bed and breakfast inn.  When Levi's Dat falls off the roof of the house, he has to take over finishing the refurbishing, and then running the Inn.  Selah wants to get a job and start supporting herself and the Inn needs a housekeeper, so she applies.  Levi's mother sees something more than just a housekeeper, she sees Selah as a possible wife for Levi.  It just so happens that there is another meddler in the community named Cevilla Schlabach and the two work together to bring Selah and Levi together.

In dealing with Selah's depression, Kathleen takes the stigma out of seeking psychiatric help for these problems.  It's a hard issue to deal with, and Kathleen takes it seriously and writes about it graciously.

This is a five star book, with two thumbs up, and a room at a B&B for a quiet get-away.

HarperCollins and NetGalley.com provided the galley I read for this review.
This was a really cute love story. I enjoyed reading how the inn came together and especially about the other couple's incredible romance story we've been introduced to over the last few books.

I appreciated Selah's struggles and her concern over disclosing these struggles to Levi and his family. I loved the way his family supported her and wrapped around her. I think though readers would have appreciated this more if we were given more of a glimpse of her parents and how they treated her. It's hinted at but never really explained.

The ending felt unfinished.

** ARC received from Netgalley **
Kathleen's books always makes me feel warm and happy after I've finished one of her books and this one is no exception!!
After being away from Birch Creek for a year, Selah decided to come back. She wants to see if she can make things work out.
I'm happy to see that Cevilla is still around.  I wish that Richard would hurry up and make his mind up about what he's going to do. I hate it that he's waiting on someone else's opinion to make things happen for him and Cevilla. The way I see it if that person makes you happy then go for it!!
Delilah is up to her usual matchmaking and nosiness. Sometimes I think she's worse than Cevilla.  But I can understand. She wants what is best for her family. But, sometimes it's best to leave alone and let God do His work as He sees it. If He wills it then it will happen. Too often people want to do things their own way and leave God out of it and that is why things go awry.
There are some lovely messages in this book. This is why I love reading Amish books. The Amish are flawed just like we English. But I still think we can learn some of their ways. It's good to be a community.  I like the way they help each other out and always there to lend a helping hand as we read in this book.
Well, I'd better close out before I say too much!! I don't want to give any spoilers away!!
I strongly recommend this book.
My thanks to Netgalley. NO compensations were received and all opinions are my own
I tend to really enjoy a good christian fiction book set in an Amish atmosphere. This particular author truly impressed me more than any other I have read so far, for this genre. Ms. Fuller presented a very realistic set of characters that had realistic every day type of struggles that many of us face. One of the main characters struggles with clinical depression that leads to anxiety attacks and a short temper at times. This was not played down at all, and the author faced the ramifications of this head on! Another set of characters were dealing with one of them coming to the faith and sacrificing so much for his faith, and dealing with the consequences of this within his non-amish family. Many characters were faced with real, every day struggles to do with finances, fear, forgiveness toward those who do wrong by them, etc. All of it was shown very realistically, and some of it did not end all pretty with a tidy bow at the end. This impressed me greatly!

I will absolutely be seeking more books in the future written by Ms. Fuller. I have read her books in the past, and as far as I can see she is improving immensely over time. I have always enjoyed her writing, but this book was deeply impressive to me! I highly recommend "The Innkeeper's Bride". Thank you, Zondervan and Netgalley, for allowing me this wonderful opportunity to read this book in advance to it being published!

The Innkeeper's Bride is my new favorite Amish inspirational story by one of my favorite authors. I have read almost everything Kathy Fuller has written and this story did not disappoint  me in any way.  I love how  the author takes a subject that is not often touched in Amish fiction and gives us new insight into the culture we thought we knew so well.  I recommend this book very highly.  Thanks netgalley for gifting me a arc in exchange for this, my honest review

The third book in the series, Brides of Birch Creek, finds us meeting up with characters from past books, and as well as meeting new characters. This can book can be read as a stand alone book as well.

This is another great book I couldn’t put down and I highly recommend it.  New location for Selah Ropp, new friends, matchmakers, secrets, health issues, intrigue, and  old and new love  are all exciting elements in this new book by Kathleen Fuller.

This is another great book I couldn’t put down and I highly recommend it.  I received a complimentary copy of this book from Zondervan through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
This is a well written book that holds your attention from beginning to end. This is the first Amish book I've read that deals with depression. The author did an excellent job of showing how depression can affect anyone and that there should be no shame with asking for help. I really enjoyed reading this book. Thank you Zondervan Fiction via NetGalley for the ARC copy of this book. All opinions expressed are my own. I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys Amish fiction.
The Innkeeper's Bride is another great addition to the series. I am a dedicated fan of Kathleen Fuller. She has many stories to tell and does an excellent job of writing them. I especially like this bride series because it incorporates the friendships of a group of girls and how they overcome obstacles and eventually marry. This book is about Selah who battles with severe depression and needs medication to control it. This is a topic you don't find often in Amish fiction. I like the way Fuller sheds light on the fact that depression can hit anyone. The book showcases Selah's return to her brother's home and how taking a job at an Amish run bed and breakfast changes her life. A terrific read!
Thank you to the publishers for providing me with an advanced copy.
This is another excellent book in this faith-based series by Fuller.  I love the realness of the characters, with life issues like mental health, family conflict, and alcoholism interwoven into the plot. As with the other books, the main love story between Selah and Levi  is shown from two points of view with all the humor and misunderstandings a reader would want. The other romance between octogenarians, Cevilla and Richard, is introduced in the other two books. One aspect that was different than the other series titles was the introduction of a person outside the Amish community, with scenes in his world and how it ties into the inn’s success. Readers do not have to have read the first books to appreciate this novel.

“I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.”
Selah has come to Birch Creek to escape her past. Levi and his family are starting in an inn. The two become acquainted when Selah gets a job working as a Maid in the new in. Levi and Selah must overcome their difference, come to terms with the past, and get the inn profitable while desperately avoiding matchmakers who have their own minds about Levi and Selah's future.

At the same time, the aged romance between Richard and Cevilla is moving along. The two older lovebirds compare to the new proving that relationships are difficult no matter how old you are.

I really enjoyed this story. It was sweet and light; exactly what I was expecting. I appreciated that Selah uses medication and therapy for her depression as most Christian books seem to gloss over those issues and at best imply that prayer and attitude are all you need.
I usually enjoy reading books about the Amish community. Having a simple life that revolves around family and their faith in God has always appealed me. I just had a difficult time connecting to this story. It might be that I did not read the first two books in the series, but it wasn't the characters that threw me off. In fact, I liked Selah and Luke a lot! More, it was the dialogue. I found it to be very awkward most of the time.
Finally - the long-awaited book 3 in the Amish Brides of Birch Creek series.  Although this book can be read as a standalone, don't miss books 1 & 2 in this delightful Amish romance series!  The Innkeeper's Bride tells Selah's story.  As she returns to Birch Creek after a 3-year absence, she befriends Cevilla who has a story of her own.  As with all of Kathleen Fuller's books, The Innkeeper's Bride is filled with humor, realism, romance, and just pure fun!  Enjoy this delightful read!
I enjoy books about the Amish. The simpler life centered around religion fascinates me. I liked the characters in The Innkeeper's Bride.  Levi and Selah just seem to complete each other.
Kathleen Fuller's novels are always a joy to read!  I always enjoy reading about witty and wise Cevila Schlabach and her exploits in matchmaking the young couples of Birch Creek. And in The Innkeeper's Bride, Cevilla and her friend Richard continue to explore whether they can have a long term relationship leading to marriage- Richard is trying to decide whether to convert to the Amish church.
Cevilla also takes a keen interest in the budding friendship between Selah and Levi.  Selah is the sister of teacher Christian, who left Birch Creek for a while due to health issues and has now returned to live with Christian and his wife Ruby.  Selah feels extremely cautious about forming any kind of friendship or relationship with people due to her health issues and to past mistakes.  Levi, whose family hires her to work in their B and B inn, tries very hard to break through her protective "wall".  Levi's grandmother, Delilah, along with Cevilla, seem determined to bring them together.
I highly recommend The Innkeeper's Bride to fans of the Amish genre and fans of women's fiction.  It is a novel you will enjoy cuddling up with while drinking a good cup of coffee.
Two love stories entwined in one story, this follows the characters that we've grown to love from Kathleen Fuller's Amish community.  Selah and Levi are two young kids who are learning to grow together.  Each comes with baggage, one more than the other, but they eventually learn how to work together in both business and life.  The even better part of the story (for fans who have followed this series) is the second love story...which FINALLY gets its happy-ever-after.  Praise the Lord, and pass the biscuits!  A teaser at the end of the book alludes to another budding romance that may be addressed in a future release.  Though part of a series, you do NOT have to have read the others to enjoy this one.
When a super-speed reader doesn't have a car for a month due to a predatory car insurance industry, you can get a LOT of reading done!!

With two matchmakers on the loose in the Amish community of Birch Creek, the new innkeeper doesn’t stand a chance in this sweet Amish romance.

When Selah Ropp returns to Birch Creek, she is a different person than when she left. I know I haven’t done much listening in the past, Lord, she prays. But I’m listening now. Her new friend, Cevilla Schlabach, urges her to let go of regrets and allow this to be a fresh start. Cevilla herself, though, hides a secret longing behind her weathered face.

Levi Stoll and his family spent a year transforming a large English house into a small inn. Now that they are open for business, Levi is pleased to have Selah join them as an employee—as long as his grandmother doesn’t try any matchmaking schemes on the two of them. After all, Selah seems as guarded as he feels, and the last thing he wants is for anyone to remind him of his history.

With Kathleen Fuller’s trademark humour and memorable characters, The Innkeeper’s Bride reminds us that God’s grace in the present and our hope for the future is stronger than any pain of the past.

This is sweet Amish romance, a full-length novel that is third in the Brides of Birch Creek series but can be read as a stand-alone.

I love clean  Amish romances with zero shades of grey in them :-)  Selah and Cevilla are fascinating characters and Levi is hapless to deal with his match-making grandmother - this equals an interesting story and a great read. Amish books fly off the shelf in our library and I am sure that this one will do so as well!