Illustration Studio: Drawing Manga Heroines and Heroes

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 29 Oct 2019

My daughter really enjoyed this book as she loves creating Manga characters and even writing stories about them. No matter what your Manga drawing abilities are, this is a great book for expanding your knowledge.
I liked this one but didn’t love it.  I feel like there’s a lot missing.  If you’re unfamiliar with manga or how to draw some of the types of characters  here space Marine, angels, etc) this won’t help you much.  There are few to no tips for creating such characters.

What this book does well is explain why layering colors is important, but even there the steps could be confusing as there’s usually a handful of steps and a lot of lines and colors being added in each one.

It also has some sample character for drawing or adding clothing to.  For me this is more around coloring your images well or adding to existing ones.

If you’re already pretty proficient in the Manga art form, you’ll probably like this.  If you’re not and are looking to get into drawing in this style, I think you’d want to start elsewhere.
I enjoyed this book because it made it easy to learn about drawing Manga. Sonia Leon goes step by step making it easy for me to emulate the work (my own lack of talent isn't their fault lol). Leon also walk you through digital art work and color. There are sections for specific types of characters found in Manga and scenes where more tah one person is included; that helps me tremendously with spacing.
I would recommend this book for anyone interested in drawing manga.
When a super-speed reader is finding herself sitting in front of the a/c in OCTOBER as it is so hot and humid in Canada, she gets a lot of reviews done!

Learn to draw your favourite manga and anime characters, and create your own, with Illustration Studio: Drawing Manga Heroines and Heroes!

In this exciting extension of the interactive Illustration Studio series, learn how to illustrate a range of manga heroes, heroines, and characters—from male and female warriors and fighters to schoolgirls and boys, knights, angels, cyborgs, interstellar idols, and more. The Illustration Studio series features interactive exercises, creative prompts, and step-by-step exercises to educate and excite beginning and aspiring artists working in a variety of media and techniques, from manga and anime to illustration done in ink.

Illustration Studio: Manga Heroines and Heroes teaches aspiring and beginning manga artists the basics for creating a range of popular characters, props and scenes. No matter your skill level, the drawing and colorization tips, loads of techniques, and step-by-step projects are instructive and helpful, while creative prompts and exercises invite personalization and participation inside the pages of the book..

You'll be guided through every step as you not only learn how to draw but also learn the vernacular and storylines associated with this popular art genre.

This is a great book to start drawing anime and manga with - clear, concise instructions, There are many helpful tips and lots of ways shown to personalize your characters. One thing that I do not like about anime and manga is that everyone looks the same - this book will help you make unique characters that you and your readers will love.

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "Social Influencer Millennials" on Instagram and Twitter) so let's give it 🍣🍣🍣🍣
Definitely for a more advanced artist, as the step-by-steps are not broken down as much as they would be in a novice book. Great, though, for someone looking to learn more about appropriate shading, different coloring techniques (markers, pencils, digital).  Quick refresher on tools.  Overall, not bad but not great.
Overall, Drawing Manga Heroines and Heroes is a pleasing volume. It begins with several overview pages looking at things like proportion and shading, before proceeding to a wide range of character examples. I particularly appreciate the fact that Leong uses different media in her designs, so there are good examples to follow whether your preferred medium is digital colouring, pencils, or markers. The only thing I would have liked was to have had a few more overview pages looking at drawing facial features and other aspects. However, what is present is shown well and this book will certainly be useful to budding manga artists.
In love with this manga book. The drawings are incredible. I love the real life solutions of transitioning from a drawing to a rendered digital model. The tips on coloring and shading are invaluable. I highly suggest this book for any manga fan even if you don’t want to draw them the characters are beautifully  depicted and the tips for realistic chapters is relatable and inspiring. I received this book from NetGalley for an honest review. This will hands down help inspire my artwork.
Not the best drawing guide I’ve seen. They show us how it should evolve but not how to make it happens. I wouldn’t recommend that book!