Cover Image: The Third to Die

The Third to Die

This felt like one of those Netflix police procedural type series you get sucked into and next thing you know, you're 3 seasons in, not sure what day it is, and forgot to make a meal or two. Lots of fine details that made this story seem very real, and what is it that makes us so interested in serial killers? This one was very well written. If this will be a series, it'll be one I will follow.
A solid addition to the thriller genre. A recommended purchase for collections where crime fiction is popular.
Kara Quinn is an under cover detective on leave from the LAPD.  One morning while on a jog she comes across a dead body.  FBI agent Mathias thinks the murder fits the profile of the Triple Killer, he needs to find him before he strikes again.  This is a fast paced police procedural that will keep you turning the pages.  Thank you to net galley for a copy.
Great Start To A New Series!
Three murders, beginning the third day of the third month, three years apart…A serial killer is back, new city, new state, but with his same routine. But how could a serial killer go three years between his horrible attacks?

That is what FBI Special Agent in Charge Matt Costas must quickly determine. The head of the new mobile Response Team, barely put together to work is more isolated areas where equipment and labs are n’t close by, they speed to the scene of Liberty Lake.

LAPD undercover detective Kara Quinn happens upon the first body while jogging. On a forced leave from her office, she is all to ready to involve herself in the murders.

Can any of them stop them before the next two deaths?

Ms. Brennan has penned another exciting, well put together novel of suspense. The complicated yet clear part the agents take, the speed of their responses, all of the action is very well laid out. You will find a variety of points of view, including that of the killer. The author reveals one clue at a time, so it’s hard to figure out who it could be.

The tension builds knowing the third murder will be someone in law enforcement. That means it is one of their own, one of those within the small town department. You will find yourself wanting to guard some of them yourself to avoid the vicious killer.

A captivating read that you won’t want to miss. I can’t wait to see what the Mobile Response Team will find with their next assignment. Watching the team develop and connect with each other, growing into a solid team will add to the attraction.

Allison Brennan has published more than three dozen books, including the popular Lucy Kinkaid series and the Max Revere Series. She’s a fine writer, thorough with so many details.  Definitely one to follow.

We received a copy of this book as part of a blog tour hosted by Harlequin Trade Publishing. We were delighted to review The Third To Die, since Ms. Brennan has long been a favorite author. If you have read any of her other novels, you will understand. If not, don’t miss this one. It’s a great place to start since it will be the beginning of the series.

Enjoy!
***Thanks to the publishers and Netgalley for providing me with a digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review***

I always enjoy books by Allison Brennan. They're usually pretty formulaic, but always keep my interest.
2.5*
This is book one of a new series. The Mobile Response Team is a newly developed division within the FBI. Before they can work out all the kinks, they’re rushed off to their first assignment. A suburb just outside Spokane, Washington where the infamous Triple Killer has struck again.

Though a new series, I felt all the characters were so fully developed that I was stepping into the middle of a series. Because this is my first read by this author, I’m not aware if any of these characters have appeared in her previous series, with this being a spin-off?
It left me feeling like an outsider looking in.

I know there was a good story buried in there. I just got tired of waiting for it to surface. It became a struggle to finish, and felt much too long.

I know I’m very much an outlier as most everyone loved this book. Do take a look at all the amazing five-star reviews before making your decision to read or pass on this one.

Thank you to NetGalley and Harlequin MIRA for an ARC to read and review.
4 1/2 STARS!

A web of woven secrets unite with the first book in Allison Brennan's Mobile Response Team series and it's sure to please suspense fans! With a powerful cast and a murder mystery that keeps getting more creepy, the story unfolds into more than we ever expected.

Kara Quinn is tough as nails and a meaningful character to pay attention to. She's on leave from her job as a detective for the LAPD and never expected to happen upon a crime scene while out for a jog in her hometown of Liberty Lake, Washington. She's quickly thrust into the case and neck deep in details with the feds.

Mathias Costa seems like just the guy to head up this new unit as the FBI special agent in charge. He's powerful and sure footed in his duties and can rub elbows with the best of them when the case calls for it. He's quick to arrive in town when it becomes clear that Kara's crime scene is part of an elaborate serial killer they've been tracking for years.

I highly recommend this story to anyone who enjoys a suspenseful read with a bit of romance. The ah ha moment could have been a little more shocking, but overall it was a top notch story and held my attention quite well. I'm looking forward to more to come with the Mobile Response Team.
Thank you, Harlequin for my gifted review copy in exchange for an honest review.

This is definitely my type of book! What a start to a series. Fans of Criminal Minds and CSI will likely est this up. It's fast-paced, addicting & so good! I couldn't turn the pages fast enough.

Thank you for the opportunity to be an early reader.
3.5 Stars

A Gripping & Suspenseful Read!

Detective Kara Quinn is taking a break from the LAPD and is resting up in her hometown of Liberty Lake.  Sounds like the perfect place to relax, that is until she literally stumbles upon a dead body.  FBI Special Agent Mathias Costa has been investigating the Triple Killer when the call comes in that another body has been found that fits his profile.

With the stakes as high as they could possibly get, Special Agent Costa knows that he must find this vicious killer before it's too late.  Working with Detective Quinn, SA Costa just might stand a chance to catch the deadliest killer out there.

Action packed and completely entertaining, "The Third to Die" will be sure to entertain.  While I quite enjoyed it, I found several storylines that didn't quite get tied up.  On the whole however, this one is a winner.
This was my first Allison Brennan and I hope she continues to write more on these characters.  The mystery of the murders was gripping and a psychological thriller.  I didn’t like the romance thrown into the story, not sure it’s needed for these characters as they continue working on the team.  Definitely a title for our thriller section.
Thank you Net Galley for a chance to read this book. I absolutely loved this book and it kept me guessing until the end. I am excited that this book is the beginning of a series and I can't wait to read the next two.
While on a jog, Detective Kara Quinn, on leave from the LAPD, discovers the body of a young woman brutally murdered.  Word reaches the FBI that the murder fits the profile of the compulsive and elusive Triple Killer.  The killer only strikes over 5 days every 3 years so their window to stop him is critical before he disappears again.
I loved getting involved in this book! It kept me hooked, and I just had to keep going. I'm glad this is going to be a series!
This book will have you riveted and page turning quickly, and when the last page is turned you will be wanting more, and it looks like you might get your wish!
Hard to imagine being on vacation, mandatory, and then being dragged rather willingly into a serial murder case. That is exactly what happens to LAPD Detective Kara Quinn, she finds a body and the rest is what you need to find out as you look for answers. We also meet FBI Special Agent Matt Costa, as he tries to save lives as the next murder of what he expects will be three happens.
You never know what will set someone off, and the perpetrator here has lost touch with reality, but will he be stopped, and when you see the length of what he is prepared for, well, be safe!
A book that will linger with you long after the last page is turned!
I received this book though Net Galley and the Publisher Mira, and was not required to give a positive review.
So good, so creepy and i was here for it all. What a geat story, I have never read this authorbefore but i enjoyed it. I think I will be looking at reading more from this author.
Violence might seem senseless to someone who had a good soul, but she understood it. She knew why the people she went after hurt and killed people.

How is a good thriller written? Do they start with the main characters? Do they work backwards? Well this one had it all for me. The characters, the plot, and how you felt that you were part of the process of solving the case. "The Killer" is a serial killer that kills in 3's. On March 3rd and with a rage, someone was going to die. One for his mother, one for his dad, and one for himself. A personal killing.

Detective Kara Quinn is on leave in LA visiting her grandmother outside of Spokane Washington. She goes on a run only to discover a body. FBI special agent Mathias Costa is handling the case. The first set of murders has his team baffled. His team is includes several people but the one that stuck out for me is the profiler Catherine. Catherine is more than a co-worker, but a friend. A friend that has reached her limit as a profiler. She does her job well but is hard on herself when she fails. Her part in the plot brings the "killer" into light as what makes him tick and anticipating his next move. Together, Catherine, Kara and Costa make a great team. They are contractions, they are vulnerable, they get the job done.

The character development drove the plot in a smooth way that you could not stop reading. How the characters interacted. There was chemistry between Kara and Costa was part of the character development. Trying to figure out the balance of their feelings and fears. Costa and Catherine their friendship is supportive and encouraging. Just a good ol mix!

A Special Thank you to Harlequin and Netgalley for the ARC and the opportunity to post an honest review.
Reviews by the Wicked Reads Review Team

Avid Reader – ☆☆☆☆☆
M/F FBI Thriller

This book has you on the edge of your seat from the beginning. We get to see Kara Quinn who is an amazing detective who is on mandatory leave. She's very unhappy about that, but also knows that it's a good time to visit her aunt. But when she's out running, trying to wait out her leave, she stumbles on a body dump site. What Kara doesn't know is that she has found one of the bodies that the Triple Killer leaves behind every few years.

Mathias Costa is trying very hard to choose people for a new mobile response team. But even though his boss has given him veto power, Costa realizes that he needs to start making some decisions. When he's called out to see the newest Triple Killer site, he knows that he's on the clock and racing against time.

With Kara on leave, she knows that she can help with the investigation. She's also a local, so that will help with the people who need to be questioned. Finally, with Costa needing all of the help he can get, he'll use Kara for her expertise, as well as for her doggedness to find the answers.

With time against them, it will take everyone's skills to figure out who the Triple Killer is and take them down. Kara is also having to contend with a trial back home and her boss keeping her in the dark on matters back at her station.

This was a great start to a new series. I can't wait to see what happens next and hope that it will be filled with as much action and mystery as this first story was. There are definitely some questions that are lingering, but it's in no way a cliffhanger story.

Sarah – ☆☆☆☆
This gory suspense is properly frightening. Matt Costas leads an FBI team tracking a serial killer who will kill again within days. LAPD detective Kara Quinn might be on holiday, but when she finds the first body, she is determined to help Matt’s team find the killer.

The time pressure in this story adds to the suspense. The investigators know when the killer will strike, they have a good idea of who the next victims will be – and no idea who the killer is. The story is a mix of interdepartmental politics and careful investigating. The body count is substantial, and this is a pretty gory read.

I really enjoyed this book and I look forward to Matt and Kara’s continued partnership in future books. Anyone wanting a well plotted suspense with some great characters will enjoy this series.

Veronica – ☆☆☆☆
If, like me, you are a fan of shows like Criminal Minds, The Third to Die will be right up your alley. FBI agent Matt Costa is heading up a new unit called the Mobile Response Team. Before the team is even fully formed, they are sent to the small down to Liberty Lake where LA Detective Kara Quinn has discovered a dead body while on vacation. Matt and his team are sent to investigate and the chase for the serial killer begins. Short on resources, Matt takes Kara’s help with the case. But it doesn’t take long for their relationship to become more than a professional one.

This is the first book in a new series and early on time is taken to give us some background to the characters. But not all of them and not their life story, but enough information to make us interested in them and keep turning the pages. The story is told from the point of view of various characters, including the killer – which I liked.

This is the story that starts out slowly, but the tension builds. I felt like the further I got in the faster I was turning the pages. The story takes us to a heart-pounding, action-packed climax. It is enthralling. I have to say this book would make a great movie, it was easy to see it playing out in my mind. In the aftermath, I was left wanting stories from the Mobile Response Team. I’ll be on the lookout for the next book in this series and I hope there are many more stories to come.
The first in a great new series features the strong, confident detective Kara teaming up with the FBI in a new task force to catch a sneaky, violent psychopath.  Lots of great characters including Matt heading up the task force.   A superb police procedural combined with a psychological thriller with a handful of romance thrown in for good measure.  Will read the next one as soon as it comes out!
RATING: 4.5 STARS
2020; Mira/Harlequin

The Third to Die is the first book in a new series by Allison Brennan. Even though I have not read all of Brennan's novels, I collect them as they come out to read when I need a guaranteed great read. I have fallen behind in the series so I was happy to see a new series come out that wasn't a spin-off from an already published book (or, at least I hope so). I am a fan of the romantic suspense genre as long the mystery is not secondary to the story. One thing like about Brennan (and are similar to Karen Rose, Mary Burton, Mariah Stewart, to name a few) is that the characters are strong and well written. The chemistry between the hero and heroine, extends to all the characters. For me a good series is when characters have a good base with one another. Brennan always has a great mystery, with suspense. Even if you can figure out the murderer you are still in it to see how it ends. This novel doesn't disappoint. Again, Brennan writes a creepy villain that makes your skin crawl and rooting for the good guys to get him quick. I highly recommend this one, and it has whet my curiosity to start back up with her novels.

***I received a complimentary copy of this ebook from the publisher through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.***
Thank you Netgalley for this ARC of The Third to Die by Allison Brennan.

When Kara, a cop on forced leave, finds a body while out jogging, she knows that her "vacation" is over.  While Kara's sleepy hometown isn't used to murders like this, Kara, an LAPD officer, is chomping at the bit to help investigate.  But the FBI has some disturbing news about the killer.  He always kills a cop in his string of three kills every three years.  Who will the killer target this time, and how will the FBI protect the town?

You know, as far as cop dramas go, this was pretty middle of the road.  It was perfectly fine.  The gritty female cop, the rugged male cop with recovering anger issues.  A deeply disturbed villain.  I've read it, a lot.  And while this is still fun, I struggled to find anything that set it apart.