The Girls' Guide to Homemaking

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 15 Oct 2019

Heart-warming and uplifting story! A fantastic read.

Many thanks to NetGalley, the publisher, and the author for my ARC. All opinions are my own.
Yet another book that begins with the female lead being cheated on, and of course with her friend, so her whole world falls apart. It makes it so hard to enjoy and cheer on the lead character when she's created her own mess in the first place.

Not a fan at all.

Thank you to Net Galley for the ARC for a fair and honest review.
Unappealing and twee. I understand this is supposed to be a light summer read, but this slipped from "light" to "vapid" pretty swiftly.
Very well written. The storyline was perfect. I could not out it down. Read the book in one day. The author really draws you in to the plot.
Nice feel good book. It flowed very well. was easy to read. Nice characters. Good storyline. What’s not to love.
What a wonderful book. I haven’t gotten into a good book like this for a while. It made me smile and was great as a weekend read.
I was drawn not only to the title and cover of The Girls' Guide to Homemaking but also the concept. The story sounding quite interesting, but also easy to read.

The character of Juliet was, in my opinion, very likeable and very human. Her relationship experiences are (unfortunately) familiar to most women, as are her characteristics (loves a cake, can't fault it). I had hoped there would be a little more inspiration taken in the "homemaking" department, and my only complaint is that we didn't see quite enough of this.

I enjoyed the story all round and found it very simple but captivating.
This book was all over the map. I didn't have any empathy towards Juliet. from reading the description, I thought this book would be more about someone who discovered a book about being a housewife from the 1950s and then took that forward with them into shaping their future, by taking pride in certain aspects of life that were perhaps wasted. This was not the case. Thank you for the opportunity but this book was not for me.
A solid romance novel by a very talented author. I felt the main characters were smart and capable and really cared about their fate. Very well written and insightful.
Amusing chick lit book with messages

I found this book, The girls guide to home making, a nice read.  Very suitable for those times when all you want to do is relax, put your feet up and escape into a bit of chick lit.  I have enjoyed Amy Miller's other books, especially the Wartime Bakery series.

Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for the lend of a time-constrained e-ARC.  I am under no obligation to post a review.
This book was sent to me in ebook form by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. As always with NetGalley, the cover and description are what really drew me to this book!

I'm a little conflicted about this book. To be honest, it wasn't what I was expected. I thought the author would have the main character's life revolve more around being a 1950's housewife. Instead, its a story about a young woman who thinks she has it all together and has to have her life fall apart in order to truly make it what it was meant to be all along.

Did Juliet, the main character, drink too much, display low self-esteem, and overall make some really bad choices? Yes, but I think that's the beauty of life and the author did an amazing job making this story more about just a book on 1950s housewives and turning it instead into a book that describes the complicated layers of life.

The author does a great job weaving Juliet's past with her present, such as her sour relationship with her mother, her love for her grandmother’s homemaking skills, the demise of her best friend's relationship, and the tragic death of her father. We see her at her best and her worse, watch her uncover secrets, start and end relationships, and ultimately realize who she is and what she truly wants out of life.

This is definitely a book I would recommend in the future, and I look forward to reading more books by the author.
An enjoyable and light read, but felt a bit old fashioned in attitude, enjoyable though but just not one of my favourite reads.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
Interesting title. Nice story. Love the female friendship and support. Enjoyable story. Sometimes a woman’s place is not in the kitchen.
Juliet and Simon have been a ‘couple’ for a few years, and she’s convinced things are ticking along nicely. Until she discovers that Simon isn’t as commited to their relationship, having started up with her best friend.  Devastated and wholly convinced that it was her at fault and not him, and still upset by her grandmother’s death, she retreats into an old “book for housewives’ that she remembered her grandmother frequently using.  Depressed and sure that nothing is going to work out for her, it’s time for Juliet to take hold of her bootstrings (or apron strings in this case) and find her own path to travel.

Full of stories from her own past and family history, her fraught relations with her mother, her grandmother’s skills and, above all, the book and vintage sewing patterns that she started playing with as a way to ‘kill time and stop obsessing”, it soon becomes clear that Juliet needs to sort out much of the information that she had only seen through the eyes of a child, and recognize the death of her father and her mother’s desertion as a series of tragedies, none the fault of an eight year old.

Throughout the story, we see Juliet at her worst and best, finding friendships and answers to questions she was unable to face for years – new romance and new possibilities, including a new business that could combine her growing sewing skills with the fascination with ‘vintage’ outlooks, recipes and customs as provided by her grandmother’s book all allow us a look into the past with the modern sensibility and Juliet’s unusual spin on things.  A lovely story for the characters, their challenges and the hope provided, with a lovely writing style that adds description, breath and life with ease.

I received an eArc copy of the title from the publisher via NetGalley for purpose of honest review. I was not compensated for this review: all conclusions are my own responsibility.

Reviw first appeared at   I am, Indeed
I think I was expecting something completely different from this book, and so it ended up not being something that I enjoyed too much. I found it hard to get into and to like the characters.

Sorry.
Juliet and Simon have lived together for awhile and Hanna is their roommate.  Juliet has figured she and Simon will marry until, that is, she sees them kissing.  Out they went, leaving Juliet with a flat she can’t afford.

Juliet’s childhood was sad in that her mother chose to leave and her Dad committed suicide shortly after.  She spent most of her younger years with her grandmother, Violet.  Violet has recently passed away and Juliet has been left her house which she must sell.  Violet taught her many things like sewing, etc., that many women these days don’t know how to do.  One thing she has made is vintage 1950’s aprons with cloth saved by Violet from the time period.  Although Juliet has a job, her friends have tried to encourage her to make the aprons to be sold at different boutiques and sites.

The story brings in her friend Imogen who is facing her wedding soon but has a big secret as to why she does not want to go through with it.

We meet Juliet’s mother and learn a secret that the woman kept that has devastated Juliet.  With the help of her aunt, she is able to accept it and go on.

The friends all get together and boy can they all drink!  A lot of the story is about drinking and hangovers.  Juliet is a bit of a slob and she’s also quite immature.

This book is all over the place for me.  I see a young woman with low self-esteem, who drinks too much, and has little ambition.  I found it difficult to find much sympathy for her.  I thought the story would be more about a woman who had discovered some things of the 1950’s that she is emulating today.  Not so much.  Sorry.  Not for me.

Copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.
The story of Juliet, who just wants to make a home with Simon. When she discovers he has cheated on her she kicks him out, and starts to rediscover the parts of her life she put on hold for Simon.  She starts sewing again, and taking patterns from the vintage book left to her by her Grandma Violet. Newly single she now has the unwanted attention of her boss Philip, but she is more interested in Dylan, who she meets through work.

A great read.
I really loved this book. I completely fell in love with Juliet and how she was able to overcome heartbreak and immerse herself in her gran's homemaking manual. The story was sweet and funny, with lots of heartfelt emotion throughout. If you like Heidi Swain or Caroline Roberts - you'll enjoy this!
Loved this book!! A little dark at times a little light at times with an amazing story thread on the whole. Very well written and it’s definitely one y’all should check out.
Juliet wants the perfect life, and she thinks she’s found it with Simon. They are living together and now all of the unhappiness of her childhood can be erased. Until they are lying in bed and Simon calls her by their previous roommate’s name. Juliet has found her life is now falling apart, and she has no clue what she is going to do.

I liked this book a lot because it’s so sweet. Juliet is an awesome narrator who made me want to keep reading. The story is also more than just romance. It has layers, which makes me even more invested in a book. There’s the story of Juliet and her broken family and its impact on her. The relationship she had with her grandmother. Juliet has a best friend and they have an amazing friendship. The story is multifaceted, and I longed to keep reading because I cared. When a book causes me to care, this is when I know it’s worth my time. I became invested in Juliet dealing with her breakup, navigating a life without Simon, a letter where she finds out her mother had a secret, and so much more.

Amy Miller has a talent for writing a book the reader can get lost in. I’m so glad I picked up this book, and I highly look forward reading more of her work in the near future.