You Beneath Your Skin

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Nicely written, bringing back memories of my time in India
Involved plot, well paced and memorable characters
In her debut novel, You Beneath Your Skin, Damyanti Biswas gives us a compelling psychological thriller which is not only a brilliant page-turner but shows us the truth about the misogyny and violence against women which sadly happens throughout the world.
The story opens when Anjali Morgan, a well-respected psychiatrist, is called to consult on a string of murders of young slum women, raped, murdered and disfigured with acid on the streets of New Delhi. Anjali already living a complicated life, being a single mother raising a special needs son named Nikhil, bearing the weight of a secretive past and working along-side her married boyfriend of ten years, Special Commissioner of Crime Jatin Bhatt is dragged into the center of a dark and dangerous case. Atmospheric and gritty we are witnesses to the investigation and the very real, very disturbing details of the crime. During the climax, Anjali finally begins to realize that she is on a path that may put herself and those she loves in grave jeopardy.
Personally, I loved everything about this book, I loved the detail brought to every scene, being immersed in the culture and most of all I love the way Anjali was written...her honesty, intelligence and insecurities all felt genuine making her very relatable.
To sum up, Ms Biswas gives us a flawlessly written, atmospheric, intriguing story with well developed, authentic, characters and an intricately plotted realistic crime story makes this such an incredibly entertaining and engrossing read that I would highly recommend!

About the Author
Damyanti Biswas lives in Singapore, and works with Delhi's underprivileged children as part of Project Why, a charity that promotes education and social enhancement in underprivileged communities. Her short stories have been published in magazines in the US, UK, and Asia, and she helps edit the Forge Literary Magazine. You can find her on her blog and twitter. All the author proceeds will go to Project WHY and StopAcid Attacks.
It takes more than brains to craft a story like this, it takes heart. Debut novelist Damyanti Biswas is a natural, bringing vividly to life the characters in 'You Beneath Your Skin'.

This is a very well-written, poignant story that delves into a murky world where crime, corruption, and power games run rampant. The story begins promisingly and becomes increasingly gripping as the plot develops into a rollercoaster ride of surprising twists and dark turns. The author slides beneath the skin of her characters with amazing dexterity, breathing life into them with all their distinct personalities, emotions, strengths, failings, to present a compelling tale that explores the best and worst of humanity, meshing love and malevolence, bleakness and hope.

A stellar debut indeed!
I'm not really sure where to start with this one. It's a rare thing when a book can be both wonderful and awful all at once. It's wonderful, simply because this is a well written and deeply engaging story. The subject matter of the book is in many ways awful.
The story is set in New Delhi, it's not somewhere that I've ever been or know much about. Despite that, through the pages of this book, I felt as though I was there. It wasn't hard to picture the tea stall or the slums as the characters moved through them.
I tend to think that I'm quite good at spotting twists and turns before they happen in books, but this one got me more than once. In fact there's one point of the plot where I found myself thinking no? No? Surely not?! You can't help but be drawn into the plot of this book, following the characters as they discover who is behind the things that have been happening and why.
I enjoyed every second of this fantastic read and really didn't want to put it down until I'd got to the end and found out how it was going to all sort itself out.
I received a complimentary copy of this book through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
I purchased this book even before I requested it on Netgalley, but I requested it anyway and was approved.

The author Damyanti Biswas lives in Singapore, and has written many shorts / flash fiction, and this story derives from her experience working with NGOs in Delhi. The author also happens to be mentor of a prestigious writing competition.

The book come with the logline – Lies. Ambition. Family. There are primarily two characters, but the story progresses through five POVs....

The complete review on my website: https://anups.net/2019/10/07/book-review-you-beneath-your-skin-by-damyanti-biswas/
Having tead the blurb for this one i was intrigued to give it a tead and i was glad i did , a novel full of the dark side of life in the slums of India where corruption is rife and violence reigns supreme

Well written and worth reading
A gripping and entertaining read. A story that sends out a very strong message about acid attacks, trafficking and much more.
Biswas is a master storyteller and her debut novel is just a proof of that. The characters are very well portrayed. Each of the character's story/dilemma is so intricately weaved into one big story.
The story is sure to take the reader on an emotional roller-coaster. If you like mysteries then I would highly recommend you to read this book.