Cover Image: My Way To You

My Way To You

Thanks goes to the publisher and Net-Galley for providing me an advance reader copy. I appreciate the chance to read and review Catherine Bybee’s newest novel, My Way to You. My opinions are my own and are not influenced by the complimentary copy.

My Way to You is an emotional novel set in southern California in the aftermath of a horrific wildfire that almost takes the heroine’s family home. To add insult to injury, she is now in danger of losing her house to mudslides from the torrential rains. As I always expect with Ms. Bybee, the writing is stellar, the pacing is perfect, and her flawed characters are realistic.

Parker Sinclair’s character is under a tremendous amount of stress. She’s not only dealing with her parent’s deaths, but she’s raising her siblings on top of dealing with wildfires and mudslides. She has an indominable spirit and is determined to succeed against all odds. While at times, she frustrated me with her insecurities, I did really like her character. She loves deeply, but she has lots of fear which keeps her closed off.

Colin Hudson is a fantastic hero with all the characteristics I most admire. He’s willing to go way above and beyond to help the stressed Parker when he meets her while trying to save her neighborhood. His attraction to her is instantaneous, and he doesn’t allow Parker’s insecurities to push him away. He is determined to win her heart.

The Chemistry between Parker and Colin is combustible. He is perfect for her because he refuses to let her push him away. I truly wanted them to find their happy ending. Parker doesn’t make it easy for him.

If you enjoy contemporary romance with plenty of heart and a bit of angst, then you’ll love My Way to You as much as I did. This is the first book in MS. Bybee’s new series, and I can’t wait to read the next one. Happy reading!
CONTENT WARNING: Lots and lots of gushing ahead about this amazing, amazing, amazing story!

Since losing her parents two years ago, 26 year old Parker Sinclair has been doing a damn good job juggling all the flaming swords in her life: a 20 year old sister in college, her 17 year old brother who’s finishing up high school, a lousy part-time job that barely helps pay the bills, and an aging home on a large piece of property in the valley of Santa Clarita, California. When wildfires destroy the valley one July day, they survive with their lives and the destroyed property, however the main house, along with a small guesthouse, is intact and mostly unscathed.

But just because the house is still there doesn’t mean their worries are over. Without all the plants and trees in the valley to absorb rainfall and hold soil in place, the coming months of rain in the late fall and winter are a grave concern - not just for the Sinclairs, but for everyone in the valley below them.

Colin Hudson’s job with the LA County Public Works Department is to minimize the destruction of mudslides - it’s not a matter of if they’ll come, it’s when, how often, and how bad. From his initial interaction with Parker, he’s impressed with her grasp of the gravity of her situation and her can-do attitude about doing whatever it takes to care for and protect the home her parents left her and her siblings. He’s also impressed with her selflessness, willing to inconvenience herself and her family for the sake of helping everyone who lives downhill from her property. It doesn’t take long for Colin to fall in love with the woman who is kind and strong and resilient.

Now let the gushing commence...

I should have known better than to pick up a Catherine Bybee book right before bed (I had to wait for the heated mattress pad to get my side of the sheets warm!). But the last two books I’d read were not good and it hadn’t been a problem to just read a chapter or two before turning in. However, next thing I knew I had finished eight chapters and was in danger of reading through most of the night. And that’s because...

She is back!

I became a fan of Catherine Bybee while reading her Not Quite series, which currently has six books and is filled with sweet, mostly lighthearted stories that are heartwarming and fun to read. So when her latest First Wives series was a bit cynical and edgy, I wasn’t sure what to think at first. I ended up really liking all five books, but had to face the possibility that, due to circumstances in Ms. Bybee’s personal life (she and her husband recently divorced), maybe that’s what she would write now.

Except apparently it isn’t! Because in My Way to You we get a gripping tale about the California wildfires and the aftermath, wrapped around the sweetest, most tender-hearted love story I’ve read in ages. I knew I’d love Colin when he pulled his sister (who is an engineer for the city of Santa Clarita) into a meeting so Parker would feel more comfortable. (You know a guy is going to be great when he has a close relationship with his sister.) Watching Colin and Parker fall for each other was such a delight and warmed my heart, over and over!

”I appreciate you checking on me. I’m pretty sure that’s not in your job description.”
“It could be.”
She paused, not really sure what he meant by that. “I’m not following you.”
“You’re right. As the supervisor on the project, it’s not necessary that I check on you unless it’s raining or something is wrong with the project. But as a man who doesn’t have a wife, checking on a woman who doesn’t have a husband…”

The art of subtle flirting just makes my heart swoon! I can’t even think of the last time a book had me swooning so many times.

“I’m going to leave you to your girls’ night and dream about you when I go to bed.”
She moved closer, enjoyed the feeling of his arms as they circled her back. “All of me, or just my knees?” She lifted her lips.
He bent close, spoke over them. “I haven’t seen all of you.”
“We could probably arrange that.”
“One body part at a time.” He kissed her and stopped her brain from functioning.

These days it seems all we get is insta-love and couples that fall into bed at the snap of their fingers. I love, love, love a relationship that develops slowly and naturally. I love when the heroine is reluctant, but the hero is patient and determined. I loved that Parker was hesitant but didn’t ever push Colin away. Sure, they had some conflict - because all relationships do - but they both dealt with them head on and maturely, without trumped up drama or angst and it was lovely. I loved Colin and Parker SO MUCH and would have loved more of them. Yes, I wish this book had been 800 pages long just so we could get more of Parker doing what needs to be done and Colin being all swoony!

I also loved Parker as a heroine. It is so great to read about a strong, capable young woman. I loved that Parker was willing to do whatever it took to keep her sister and brother on the right path and hold her family together as best she can. But I also loved her vulnerable side, knowing she wants more for her life - yet not sure what that “more” is. I frequently tell people I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up...and I’m an almost 50 year old married woman with three children (two of whom are adults). I could totally relate to Parker doing what needs to be done, but not knowing what is next when she starts the next stage of her life.

As much as I loved the romance in this book, I was enthralled with the Humankind vs Mother Nature storyline. Some readers may find all the details about mud control tedious, but for me it was fascinating. My family has vacationed in California for years, we have family there, we’ve driven through parts of the state with a similar landscape as the location of this story. In the summer of 2017, we were driving through the hills above Malibu and I distinctly remember thinking how awful it would be if there was a fire - it would be hard to get out since there’s only a single, narrow, twisty two-lane road, it would be impossible to defend all the homes, and they would all be destroyed...and a year later that’s exactly what happened. So it wasn’t hard for me to “put myself” into this story. Reading this fictionalized tale about the California wildfires was heart pounding and heart breaking. And I loved every page.

The only thing that wasn’t perfection about this story is that it ended with so much of Colin and Parker’s story remaining. I want to know about their trip to Cabo, I want to be there when Colin proposes and the wedding, I want to see them have more deep discussions about their future, I want to see what Parker does next. I just want more. I can barely wait to get my hands on the next books in this series. I absolutely LOVED My Way to You and am SO looking forward to reading more about the people in Canyon Creek!

* a HUGE thank you to NetGalley and Montlake Romance for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review
**I voluntarily read an early copy of this book courtesy of NetGalley and the publisher**

I always get excited when I hear Catherine Bybee has a new book/series. The first in the Creek Canyon series was worth the wait!

Due to her parents untimely death, Parker Sinclair was thrust into the role of caregiver for her younger siblings. She's also been managing the family home and land. Things get worse when a wildfire sweeps through the land. It causes major damage brings along the threat of possible destruction from mudslides and floods.

Enter Colin Hudson. He's the guy every girl dreams of: hardworking, caring, and of course handsome. He along with his crew have been assigned to work on the project to try save the Sinclair land as well as their neighbors.

It's clear early on that these two are perfect for his other but will the stress of their situation pull them apart or have them growing closer?

While Colin and Parker were terrific main characters, the supporting cast was just was great. I can't wait to see what's in store with them through this series!
It’s been awhile since I picked up a book by Catherine Bybee and I have forgotten how much I have enjoyed her novels! My way to you is the start to a new series and is beautifully written.  Parker has been raising her siblings after her parents die, and wildfire destroyed their home.  Now a mudslide threatens her property. Colin’s job as a public works supervisor is to protect Parker’s property and the neighbourhood from more damage. Parker is making it hard for him to do his job, but he finds himself attracted to her, but can Parker trust her heart to Colin? I loved the characters of Parker and Colin. Parker is a fierce and tough woman, and Colin is strong and is protective towards Parker. I loved the chemistry between the two. The book had some great scenes and great secondary characters (can’t wait to read the next book!) This book was enhanced by the author’s personal experience.  Thank you Netgalley and Montlake Romance for this advanced copy.
Stunning. Bybee here uses her real life situation over the last few years to craft a story that is a testament to those who helped her most - the firemen and the flood control guys and the various repairmen - while also sticking to her bread and butter of romance novels. This one has some fun elements, such as when the lead guy comes out of the shower and, seeing his brother and sister in addition to our lead gal, says that he is glad he came out covered. His brother responds along the lines of "yeah, no one wants to see that", and our lead gal raises her hand "I do!" (Seriously, I'm still cracking up about that particular scene. :) But overall, the tone here is much more serious. For our lead gal in particular, life isn't exactly easy. But she has an AR, an AK, a shotgun, a 911, and a .40 cal Glock and she's a good shot - as she tells another character who thinks he can just come on her property any time he needs to. Not as light as I remember the Not Quite series being, but absolutely a strong story, and with such a cast that it isn't clear (as it usually tends to be) where this series is going next. (I have suspicions, but even that is only a somewhat educated guess.) Very much recommended.
As much as this story was about Parker, Colin and her family, I think the biggest part of the story was the wildfire and the aftermath. My information concerning these issues come from news reports or articles I’ve read online. So while I was fascinated, I was also at times confused by much of the terminology and had trouble visualizing the layout of the ranch and Creek Canyon as a whole. It was almost too much information to take in.
Parker was a tough nut to like. I admired her for taking care of her family and home, but her stubbornness also made her a bit frustrating. She grew on me, but I can’t say I loved her, even by the end of the book. By contrast, Colin was immediately likeable. He seemed a bit too perfect, but was a perfect balance for Parker.
Great intro to the new Creek Canyon series. I’m looking forward to our next couple...that looks to be an intense storyline as well!
In My Way to You we meet Parker, who has had a rough go in life over the last 4 years since tragedy struck her family. To add insult to injury a devastating fire burns almost destroys her home, then there is the risk of a flood destroying everything that the fire managed to leave alone. Enter Colin, he is in charge of making sure that rain, floods, mudslides etc don't destroy what is left of these homes and properties.

I liked Colin and how determined he was to help Parker and protect her, while also giving her space to do it on her own, His family is amazing and I loved them,

Parker is a likable character, but that's just it. She just okay. And this is where it fell a little flat for me, Her and Colin are great together, there is obvious connection and pull towards each other, but their chemistry didn't jump off page for me like in Catherine's previous books.

Honestly, I was more interested in Matt (Colin's brother) and Erin (Parker's tenant) than out Hero and Heroine - and I'm glad their story is next. I love Catherine Bybee's stories, her Weekday Brides and Not Quite series are some of my favorites, but this one just fell a little flat for me!

Thank you to NetGalley and Montlake Romance for an Advanced Copy in Exchange for an honest review.
My Way To You is my first book by this author but it won't be my last. I enjoyed this book especially the heroine's strength, that nothing seemed to really phase her. I loved that the hero complemented her. My Way To You is a sweet and wonderful read with awesome characters both main and secondary. I look forward to the next book in the series.
From giving up her own dreams of finishing college and taking a job to make ends meet so she can finishing raising  her younger sister and brother after her parents died, Parker Sinclair has her hands full.  Add a wildfire to the mix with the added stress of winter and the possibility of mudslides through the canyon that threaten the only thing she has left of her parents and you'll have a young woman at the end of her rope.
Enter Colin Hudson with the public works department.  He's been assigned the job of protecting Parker's property and  the surrounding neighborhood.  He has his hands full with the Parker - who is not used to having someone to help.  Will be be able to keep his promise to keep her property safe and win the trust and heart of Parker in the process?  It's definitely a risk he is willing to take!
You will not be disappointed with the first book in the Canyon Creek series by Catherine Bybee.  This book is taken from her own experiences with wildfires in California in recent years.  Catherine gives you all the feels you expect from one of her romance books with the added emotions of protecting what's yours against mother nature.
ARC received via Netgalley/Montlake for an honest review

I have been reading Catherine Bybee books for many years now, and I can remember a few years back, her stories/posts on social media about the fires and then the rains that hit her property.

This is also a reminder to me of what so many are going through here in Australia at the moment.

As I was reading My Way To You, I was remembering some of those stories. I remember thinking at the time everything was happening to her, how strong Ms Bybee was.

That strength carried through to Parker in this story. Sometimes she came across as a woman twice her age. Sometimes it felt a little OTT, then again the situation was OTT.

I adore Colin right from the get go. He could have been a pompous ar$e and treat Parker like she knows nothing, but he doesn't.

The relationship between Parker and Colin is sweet and tender and... easy. No stupid arguments, no miscommunications, it just... was.

This is book one in the series, and I look forward to seeing where it takes us next.
Sometimes you read a book that reminds you how good people are. It allows you to believe in love and hope and kindness.  It seems Catherine Bybee knows how to write those books.  Her newest book My Way To You is one such book.  While the book highlights the difficulties in Southern California with both the wildfires and then the mudslides and floods, the focus is on Parker Sinclair and Colin Hudson.

Parker Sinclair’s parents died suddenly and she is left with raising her siblings and trying to keep things together.  She is struggling, but holding her own, until the fires came and then the knowledge that the rains would soon come.  Parker had some understanding of what would happen next and was concerned.

Colin Hudson was the supervisor in charge of making some safety changes - huge changes to the drainage system in the valley.  They need to stage from Parker’s land and have been challenged to make things safer for the area.  Colin works with Parker to help things move forward, but finds himself being drawn to her more and more.

I enjoy strong female characters and enjoyed Parker, even when she was being ‘too’ independent.  I loved Colin’s patience and attention.  The Hudson family was awesome as well.  I liked how the weather was another character, just unreliable.  I leave Catherine Bybee’s books feeling better about the world.  I love the feelings she manages to put into each book.  My Way to You by Catherine Bybee was an awesome read.
Catherine Bybee is, for me, consistently an author that I can't wait for her next book to come out.  This book, the first in her new series (Yay!) reiterates just why I feel that way.

We are introduced to the Sinclair family in My Way to You. Parker Sinclair, the oldest of the 3 children, has been holding her family together after her parents died unexpectedly.  She has been taking care of the family home and the land it sits on, all while trying to keep her younger sister, Mallory, and brother, Austin, on the straight and narrow and holding down a job. Each of these alone is can be a full time job but she seems to manage all three in a day's time. A raging wildfire threatens to destroy all in it's path, including their home, and Parker and her family find themselves fleeing to safety and not knowing what will be left for them when they return. By some miracle their home was spared but the destruction from the wildfire brings a new set of worries for her.

Colin Hudson, a supervisor for the LA County Public Works Department, has his work cut out for him trying to deal with the aftermath of the fire.  He knows what will come next...mudslides. His job is to try to control the amount of damage that will bring. Unfortunately for the Sinclair Family, this means he needs access to their property.

What follows next is a story that weaves both fact and fiction together. Catherine was able to highlight the details from her experience with a devastating wildfire and embed them into this story of perseverance, romance, and family. We are also introduced to the other characters that will carry this series, hopefully for several books to come.

It's another "must read" if you ask me!
This was a powerful and emotional story. I FELT everything Parker was going through. And as a long-time follower of Catherine Bybee, she had to deal with a fire surrounding her home and major flooding afterwards. I saw her videos she posted during this time, so she poured her story into Parker's. (If you haven't seen her videos, search her facebook page) Like Catherine, Parker is a strong, independent woman and does whatever needs to be done because she can't wait on anyone else. She's had a rough hand in life and she's making the best of things. I adored her and admired her strength. Because of the potential flooding, Parker meets Colin and neither one was looking for anyone. I enjoyed watching their relationship develop and felt the pull between them. But Parker has A LOT going on! This was a great love story. I couldn't pull myself away from their world and was sad when it was over. Looking forward to the next book in the series!
Parker is the oldest sibling and when her parents are killed in an auto accident it is up to her to keep their family together.   She drops out of college to raise her younger brother and sister and is struggling to keep their finances afloat when they and their neighborhood are facing a wildfire.  They manage to safe their home but when winter comes with a threat of mudslides, it's more than she can handle.  When Colin arrives to evaluate the best way to save their neighborhood from the possible mudslides they work together to save her home and their neighborhood.  This is a awe inspiring story.  I could definitely tell that the author had some experience with wildfires and mudslides.  This was well told and I was anxious for Parker and her family as they worked tirelessly to save their home.  But it's not all about wildfires and mudslides...When Collin crushes on  Parker you'll pull for much more than the family home.
**I voluntarily read an early copy of this title courtesy of NetGalley and the publisher**

I have been excited by this new series from Catherine Bybee since I heard about it and it was definitely worth the wait! Bybee is one of my go-to authors and this is a powerful start to the Creek Canyon series!

Parker Sinclair is doing her best to hold it all together. She's been raising her brother and sister since the untimely death of their parents and managing the family home and land. When a wildfire sweeps through the land causing major damage and in turn increasing the possibility of destruction from mudslides and floods, things get a whole lot worse before there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Colin Hudson is the guy every girl dreams of. He was raised to treat a woman right, he's hard working and he's always the first to offer assistance. As a public works supervisor, he's assigned to the project at Parker's house and he and his crew are tasked with doing what they can to save her property and that of her neighbors.

While supervising the project, Colin and Parker are in one another's orbits and it's clear pretty quickly that feelings are forming on both sides. While Parker may be a self-proclaimed "hot mess", Colin is all about it and loves that about her. Will the stress of the situation pull these two apart or have them growing closer?

I did not want to put this book down once I started. I needed to know what happened to everyone involved. Not only were Colin and Parker strong and wonderful characters, the supporting characters were fantastic as well. I'm certain that the rest of the books in this series are going to be as awesome as this one was!
My Way To You was a very emotional read, I was unware that this story hit so close to the writers home. The main character, Parker faced loss of family and was scared to also lose the family home, due to the wild fires and other property on the family land.  Parker had to grow up very fast at an early age to take on the Mother role to her siblings. Parker was a very strong female. This book was a very enjoyable read, intense, humor, love.  Parker found love and the strength of a very caring man and thrived; also her siblings grew and strived as well.
My Way to You is the first book in the new Creek Canyon series. This is a contemporary romance and it's my first book by this author.

I really enjoyed this book. But truthfully it was not what I was expecting. This book was so much more emotional than I was anticipating. I love books that make me smile and cry in the same story. And this one did!

The story takes place in 2016 in Creek Canyon, California (Southern California).

This book has both a male and female POV. The female is Parker (24). The male narrator is Colin (33). She works at the local elementary school. He works for the LA County Public Works Department.

Both are 3rd person POVs. However they are written so well that you almost don't even notice. Very often I cannot connect to characters when they are written in the third person. But I did not have that problem at all in this book.

The book starts out with a prologue set two years before the rest of the book. It was emotional and moving and it really sets the tone for the rest of the story.

The first chapters also deal with some scary stuff. I love books that make me feel. But I was definitely caught off guard (in a good way) by how much was happening in the first chapters.

The beginning of this book was very strong. I was definitely invested in these characters. The romance was a very slow burn. I liked this story a lot.

Much of the book is focused on the house and the weather. These things were super interesting. But I think that I would have liked a bit more to happen.

The romance was very strong. I was expecting the book to be super sexy (which it wasn't). But I wish that the words used in the sex scenes had been less graphic. The romance was so sweet. The story was charming. To me these scenes (only 2 or 3) did not go with the tone of the rest of the book.

I really liked some of the supporting characters. I adored Colin's mom (I loved her so much). I also really liked Erin (who became a friend to Parker) and could not wait to find out more about her secrets.

The story was sweet, but also serious. I really liked both narrators so much. And I cannot wait to get Erin's story in book two. I was also very interested to see how much of what happened is based on true events in the author's life.
OHMIGOSH.  I loved this book!  I'm a fan of Catherine Bybee.  This book was emotional and at times intense.  I didn't realize prior to reading that this was her "story" and that she had, in fact, lived through the fires and flooding as told in this story.  I'm anxiously awaiting book 2!  I would give this one higher than 5 stars if I could!
Of all the books Catherine Bybee has written, My Way to You is the most real on so many levels and my absolute favorite. I loved this book because it not only has romance but it addresses real life struggles, not the least of which is going forward after great loss. It also does an excellent job of bringing to life the terrors, uncertainties and worries that come with a massive wildfire and its aftermath. The description of the fire as it approaches is absolutely perfect.

The main character, Parker Sinclair, goes from an unfocused 24 year old college senior to an adult with the words, “There’s been an accident.” The book picks up two years later with Parker the legal guardian of her two siblings, Mallory, 20, and Austin, 17, which forces her to put her own life aside to deal with the very real issues that are part of being a caregiver and head-of-household. Life again turns on a dime when the wildfire sweeps through their area, causing much damage to their property and surrounding areas. I won’t give too much away except to say that Parker, who has already had to deal with so much, is forced to deal with even more, including the very real threat of flooding. Parker’s strength and ability to continue putting one foot in front of the other in the face of great stress and adversity makes her an admirable main character.

Colin Hudson is the head supervisor with the LA County Works Department which will be responsible to mitigate the threat of flood damage in the area. Since the department needs the use of Parker’s property, Colin goes out to survey conditions and meet the property owner. Colin is immediately impressed by Parker. She notices that he is TDH—tall, dark and handsome. This is the book’s setup.

Besides the two very likable main characters, there are several secondary characters that I enjoyed, including Austin whose teenage snark was dead-on. I also loved Colin’s mother, who helps Parker not only with financial planning but, more importantly, teaching her that it is okay to accept help and support from others.

This book is a five star read and well worth seeking out. It is the first in what will be a trilogy and I look forward to reading the next two books as they become available.

I was given a free copy of this book by NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review. I was not compensated nor was I required to write a positive review. The opinions stated are solely my own.
My Way To You is the spectacular beginning of a new book series by Catherine Bybee, Creek Canyon, Book 1. My Way To You is a women’s fiction novel about college age, Parker Sinclair. A devastating wildfire wreaks ruin upon her family’s land. And the passing of their parents, has left Parker to take on the responsibility of raising her younger siblings.

My Way To You is a fascinating novel highlighting the inner strength of a young woman who leaves college in order to raise her younger siblings and manage her parents’ property. This is also the captivating story of a young woman’s inner strength, in the face of seemingly unsurmountable obstacles, to accomplish more than she ever dreamed. To paraphrase from the publisher’s description: “The last thing Parker needs is a mudslide destroying everything she has worked so hard to maintain.”

Parker has her work set out for her. As the reader, we are gripped by Parker’s admirable determination to succeed. But soon we are dismayed Parker’s obstinacy might be her undoing, as she is steadfast in her ways. Colin Hudson, the public works supervisor, tries diligently to lend a hand to Parker. Yet, she is distrustful and doesn’t make it easy for Parker to help her.

My Way To You is an absorbing story of a young woman’s determination to succeed. However, the story of Parker also brings something important to the forefront. There are times when accepting help from others, may be the wrong thing to do. However, sometimes it is the only right thing to do. And knowing the difference is essential, if not crucial.

I highly recommend My Way to You as a fabulous women’s fiction novel. I am greatly looking forward to the next book in this series.