Cover Image: The Worst Best Man

The Worst Best Man

This book has a great cover. The Book was also good. The story was interesting and it was an easy read.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review!

This wasn't the perfect book for me, and in all honesty, it probably won't end up being all that memorable either, BUT all in all, it was a pretty good time! The premise is silly, and it honestly felt a little taboo at times. On the bright side, though, the characters have a lot of chemistry, and I thought the sex scenes were a good time, too. Pick this one up if you're looking for a fluffy and quick read!
I loved this book! Not having read Sosa's books before, I didn't know what to expect. However, I was instantly drawn in by the effortless flow of the story combined with the wit and slow-burning romance. Plus...who doesn't love an enemies-to-lovers rom-com?
Cute and funny. This book will make you laugh out loud in places and cringe in others. It’s definitely a weekend fun kind of read.
Started but have not finished at this time, do not plan to resume reading at this time but hopefully will finish in the future - had a hard time getting hooked into the story. Hoping to try again from the beginning soon.
The Worst Best Man 💍

Favorite Quote (and the book to a T): “This is a f*cking soap opera”

Here are my simple thoughts of the book:
I can never look at the hood of a car the same way again.
Andrew is the biggest a*hole I’ve ever met. Thank god Lina got out of that shit. Sorry for all the swears but that’s what this ass deserves.
Open mic night, dead dying oh my god 🙈 I encourage everyone to listen to this scene on the audiobook cause it had me laughing so much
Their insta chemistry after they meet again is 🔥
Loved the ending and alllll the drama throughout!

And now that is what I can a quick review 👏🏻
Thanks @avonbooks for an e-copy to review!
This book was so entertaining. I was drawn into the story from the beginning and was involved until the end. The characters were complex and interesting. I found the story to be well paced and engrossing throughout the whole book. I was invested in the couple throughout the book and felt all the emotions through both the highs and lows of the story.The side characters were such an integral part of this story as well. This is the love story i needed to read at this time. If you want an entertaining and well written book this is it for you
**4.5 Stars**

Only Mia Sosa can make me laugh and absolutely go with a trope that rarely works with me. The hero and love interest in THE WORST BEST MAN is the brother of the heroine’s former fiancé. It just gets weird for me if I think too hard about it! Lina and Max are forced to work together on a proposal that would ultimately further both of their careers. It’s been years since Lina’s canceled wedding, but she still harbors (justifiable) resentment towards Max for his role in the whole debacle.

Rich with culture, humor, and secondary characters that brought each page to life, THE WORST BEST MAN, and Lina and Max, worked their way into my heart. While they began as adversaries, Lina and Max’s undeniable connection was apparent from the very beginning. I love that Sosa didn’t shy away from the problems that would face both our hero and heroine if they did get together, especially on Max’s side. His deep and often hilarious conversations with his best friend highlighted what could, and would, go wrong if Max and Lina became serious about each other.

One of the main reasons this book stuck the landing was the perfectly paced, growing, and developing relationship between Lina and Max. The unexpected couples’ retreat was a fun touch. They were #communicationgoals once they stopped playing pranks on each other, especially during the love scenes. It was hot and super refreshing!

I thought the outside conflicts wrapped up a little too quickly, but it didn’t take away from my enjoyment of this book as a whole.

Overall, this book made me laugh out loud many times, swoon over the romance, and root for Max and Lina’s HEA every step of the way; what’s not to love?? I hope we get more books within this particular world! Sosa builds series around friend groups SO well!

**I received a free copy of this book in order to provide an honest review**
This was quick and cute and I appreciated that it wasn't too angsty even though it easily could have been.
Due to illness review will be short. In a nutshell this book is worth reading. You can take my review as you will or you can always form you're own opinion by reading it anyway!
This was your average rom com. It was an enjoyable light read and kept my interest. I do like a hate-to-love romance. I liked the witty banter between our main characters which made up for the predictable plot.
I received an ARC of this via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Sometimes, families are the absolute worst. At other times, they’re the greatest! In Lina Santos’ experience as a wedding planner, they can be both, entirely too frequently on opposite sides of the aisle at one of the weddings she has planned. Or rescued. (Three little words, “chartreuse wedding gown”. Enough said)

But the one wedding she couldn’t rescue was her own. Not only was Lina left at the altar, but she was left with the task of letting all of the guests know that there wouldn’t be a wedding after all. Because the groom had bailed, leaving his brother to inform the bride and the bride to deal with all of the fallout.

Fast forward a few years. Lina has put the wedding-that-wasn’t behind her. In a lot of ways, fairly easily. She chose Andrew because he didn’t really touch her heart, so his runaway from the runway was more of a blow to her pride than any other part of her.

Which didn’t mean that she was overcome with joy to discover that Andrew and his brother Max, the best man forced to deliver the news to the no-longer-a-bride Lina, were the PR team for the luxury hotel chain that was looking to hire a full-time wedding coordinator.

A job that Lina desperately both wants and needs. What she doesn’t either want or need is to expose their collective and seriously messy past to a possible boss. So she panics and pretends she doesn’t know either of them.

Even better – or worse – or both, they go along with the ruse.

A ruse that Lina and Max are going to have to maintain for six weeks while the hotel’s new owner goes through a very thorough vetting process. A time period that is more than long enough to strain both the ruse and Max and Lina’s ability to tolerate each other for the length of time necessary for Lina to get the job and Max to prove to both the hotelier and his mother-the-PR-boss that Max is a different and separate person from his conniving, competitive older brother Andrew.

Not that Max is any less competitive, or possibly any less conniving where Andrew is concerned. But this level of connivance, deception and, surprisingly temptation is big enough to bite them all in the ass.

Especially once Max and Lina figure out that the heat in their back-biting is masking a desire to bite each other in an entirely different way!

Escape Rating B+: Max isn’t so much the worst best man as this scenario is the worst nightmare for a wedding planner – being forced to work with the erstwhile groom who left her at the altar and the almost-best man who was stuck giving her the news. Not that Max didn’t take some of the blame for Andrew’s actions, and not that Lina wasn’t more than willing at the time to shoot the damn messenger.

But in spite of the scenario beginning as soap opera worthy and descending from there, Max isn’t even the worst best man that Lina’s ever dealt with, on the job or off.

And they do begin this mess with something in common – they both want to get something over Andrew. In a whole lot of senses, he’s a professional embarrassment for both of them – Lina for the obvious reason, but Max because Andrew has been riding on his intellectual coattails their entire lives, and managing to take all the credit for Max’ hard work into the bargain.

This enemies to lovers romance is billed as a rom-com, and it is filled with the kind of witty banter that makes rom-coms so much fun. But underneath all of that, there’s more going on in this story than first meets the eye.

At the beginning, Max’ attitude towards Andrew, their mother, the job and Lina all come off as very manipulative. His desire to get one over on his brother seems to be driving his actions, and his thoughts are more than a bit on the ugly side.

Max’ relationship with his brother is toxic for both of them, and it seems as if their mother doesn’t see just how much poison she’s adding to that brew. The situation underpins the whole story, as Max is a bit unclear at the beginning whether he’s helping Lina or just using her. And it feels like a bit of both. Max’ manipulativeness soured me a bit on the story at that point, but so many people said so many good things about it that I stuck with it and I’m glad I did.

When Lina and Max become involved with each other, there are plenty of questions all around about whether their emotions are real or whether they’re both using the situation to get back at Andrew. There’s also a heaping helping of concern about whether any relationship they might have can get itself out from under Andrew’s shadow.

At the same time, there’s also a lot that gets said, and needs to be said, that doesn’t get clearly articulated near enough. Max wants Lina to show more of her emotions, but Lina – and every other woman reading this story – is very clear that being able to display your emotions in a professional setting is very much a male privilege. If she gets righteously upset, she’ll be seen as merely a stereotypical “angry black woman” or a typical “hot-blooded Latina as she is Afro-Latinx. If she cries in a work setting, she’s labelled as a “hysterical female” who can’t control her emotions. It’s happened to her. It’s cost her a job and a career. It’s happened to all of us so we do our best to clamp down our emotions at work. As Lina successfully does.

The resolution here is for them to find a way to deal with the very real situation that their relationship drags into the light. Not to paper them over, not to magic up a happy ending, but to earn one.

And that they definitely do!
Mini Review: This was a fun Adult Romance book! This was the first Mia Sosa book I've read, and I'm interested in reading more books from this author in the future! And just a side note, but I love the cover of it!
This book. THIS BOOK.

Do you ever have the feeling that sometimes a book finds you, rather than you finding the book? And it comes to you at just the right time? That's this book for me! I've honestly had an ARC copy of this for what feels like a long time now, and I'm so sad that I sat on it for so long! But the universe knew when I really needed this book and when I finally got to reading it in the midst of all this 2020, it was exactly what I needed.

I devoured this book! It follows Lina, the up-and-coming wedding coordinator as she has to work with her ex-fiancés brother to land the job of her dreams. There's so much going on in this book. Enemies-to-lovers? YES. Forced proximity? In more ways than one! Family? Friendships? Food? All there! Was there only one bed? TWICE!

There were so many laugh-out-loud and heartfelt moments. The character growth was incredible, and while (of course) there was some drama, it was the perfect amount. I can't even begin to say how excited I am that Dean and Solange get their book next!

This is one of my favorites of the year, and is one of those books that I want to own in multiple formats! If you've been waiting to read this one, consider this your sign!
Just okay. Easy to put down, hard to pick back up.
This started off good and I liked the premise but it slowed way down really fast. It was hard to stay in the story. I think it needed to be edited for content, some parts really dragged. It was easy to put down but hard to pick back up.
I just didn't get any feels that I think I was supposed to get.
This was a great romantic comedy! I enjoyed learning about the Brazilian culture through this book about a jilted bride that is reunited with her ex and his brother (her worst enemy) through a contest for a job. The author has great comedic timing and the reader won't be disappointed.
** spoiler alert ** The Worst Best Man is a bunch of fun. It definitely scratched the rom-com itch. There are oodles of my favorite tropes in here, particularly the combo of stranded together and fake dating when they go to visit a site. The ship definitely works, and in a very realistic way. Though I'm not a huge fan of the nth hour separation thing, I did appreciate the way they were both still able to function and work together like good partners during that brief time.

I didn't get sucked into it emotionally the way I do with my top faves, but otherwise I've got only positive things to say.
Cute book! It was your typical rom-com, with communication problems abounding. I would've liked it if the characters had some other sort of conflict, but it was interesting enough and the writing was fine. Nothing outstanding.
A wonderful enemies to lovers story. A wonderful representative for Latin characters and a diverse cast of fun characters. I liked the themes of family and the importance of it. A sweet romance and good read.
The plot twists in this story are in abundance. I was completely unprepared for the wild ride ahead. A hilarious and absurd, while also believable romantic comedy that I did not know I needed.

I recommend for everyone who needs to read something light-hearted and wants to rest their eyes from binging of 90 Day Fiance and Married at First Sight.