Cover Image: To Hell with the Hustle

To Hell with the Hustle

This Christian based author details how his life started to spiral out of control, and was pulling him away from his family.  He teaches his audience how to take steps towards learning what is the most important in their lives and how to embrace it.  Bethke gives historical references that are intriguing (did you know that "goals" weren't really important until about one hundred years ago)?  I felt the push to get rid of a lot of social media in my life, realizing, even more than I already did, how much of a waste of time it all is!  If you would like to learn to live more in the present, and to slow down to an appropriate pace, this is the book for you!  As the author states, "learn to say "no".  Thank you to Netgalley for this free ebook in exchange for an honest review!
To Hell with the Hustle offers bits of great content on current cultural affairs and perspectives, something we can expect from Bethke! However, I did find that the book seemed to jump around quite a bit from concept to concept, and could maybe have been a little more cohesive.
This book was right on time. Being a millennial is complex and exhausting. The nature of work is different and finding that balance is a really struggle because of technology and a number of macro variables. Understanding the hustle and what makes sense for yourself is so important. This books gave a few gems to walk away with.
I have been a fan of Jefferson Bethke for years now and being able to listen to his audiobook was a sweet treat!
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Now I'm not one hundred percent super religious. Yet, I did like To Hell with the Hustle. I mean, I am Catholic but I'm never going to shove the bible quotes, or whatever else, down people's throats. Nor would I accept it from anyone else.

That being said, this book had some interesting points throughout it. However, I just wished the flow of the book was consistent throughout the entire thing. Especially since towards the end, I was just getting bored with everything. Maybe it's because it was just dumping so much information on me that I just couldn't appreciate it
It took me longer to get through this book than I expected. I wanted and needed this book, as a cross cultural worker I am always looking for fresh ideas to help combat fatigue and burnout. This book was well written, it was organizes and the author clearly has a talent for writing. This was my first encounter in his work and I would likely pick up another if it was about something I was interested in.

This book didn't have a ton of new or fresh ideas, and it focused quite a lot on technology, which is helpful but again nothing too new. I will likely take a look at the ideas in this book and assess how I was already using them and how I could re-evaluate my lifestyle.

If you are a follower of Jesus, this book will be a helpful, not life altering resource.

The publisher provided an ARC through Netgalley. I voluntarily read this book, these thoughts and opinions are my own honest review.
Directed at millennials (the whole broad lot of us), this book hits the mark 100%. I found myself highlighting passage after passage and really thinking about and questioning what has been drilled into us about working hard at all costs. This book is religious, but still very accessible to anyone who is not and was so encouraging in a practical, not fluffy bs, kind of way.
While Bethke makes several good points, they're drowned out by the book's many shortcomings. The way he talks about bodies is both dismissive and potentially dangerous and harmful. The way he uses the word "fat" is problematic. He seems to have a fundamental misunderstanding of how habits actually work. The book's overall tone is superior, judgmental, and aggressive. There are several extremely problematic references to other cultures and ethnicities, including an equation of Western with white. He demonstrates an overall dislocation from thousands of years of Christian tradition. I reached most of these conclusions within the first quarter of the book. I finished it in hopes that they could be overcome by the remainder of the book, but they were merely reinforced.
This is the first of Jefferson Bethke's books I read, even though I've followed him for quite some time. Let me just say - what an amazing read! I loved his conversational tone, how he pulled out some deep concepts in simple ways, and how easy this book was to read. At the same time, it was profound and powerful. Must read.
We glorify the "hustle" and doing it all both in Christianity and tge world .  The idea that the drive to always be "doing" and striving is so often glorified, and the idea that it doesn't allow us to BE the people we need to be.  I enjoyed the concept of the book and hope to take the "hustle" out of my life.
 "We are chasing freedom yet becoming slaves."

"What if the goal isn't to hustle but to be faithful?"

The point of this book is to reflect on our busyness and the way we spend our time and resources- is it actually delivering the freedom it promises? how is it affecting us and our families? what do we lose when we don't truly rest or experience silence?

My husband started it and pointed out some science analogies he made that were inaccurate (there IS gravity on the moon, you won't float away, it's just less than earth; and the whole frog jumping out of gradually boiling water is a myth-- *not sure how these got past editing*) so I suppose my expectations were skewed when I started to read. But honestly, I thought it was a worthwhile book and found it better than I was expecting. Yeah some analogies weren't perfect, but the points he makes are still valid.

I don't feel like I'm currently in the 'hustle' mindset and may need to revisit this book when our kids are older and our schedule is busier, BUT I still found some good and convicting insights in this book.

I'm not really a regular goal-setter but I liked how he has eliminated the word 'goal' and replaced it with 'formation.' The semantics aren't what attracts me but rather his explanation. A goal is linear, and is focused on the endpoint, the accomplishment itself, whereas a formation is circular and is about the process. I've read several books lately that contrast 'doing' and 'being.' Sanctification and identity isn't what we do or accomplish but about who we are becoming in Christ, our 'being.' And I like to think of that as a circular process rather than a placement on a line. So much of following Christ is forgetting and remembering, a returning to  "the same place for refreshment and renewal"  or what he also classifies as a 'rhythm.'

I like that his book is targeting the lies we are sold that we just need to hustle more, try and work harder and we can reach our dreams and have the lives we want. That's not the message of the Bible but is the suffocating message of our culture.

His book is a compelling case for the ordinary. Not that following Jesus is boring and mundane in the sense that it's depressing and meaningless, but that faithfulness is ordinary. It's the everyday. The moments we have daily in the obscure lives we have now. It's a little uncomfortable to think about it in those terms because culture pushes the big, extraordinary, famous, and shiny as 'meaningful' lives. I thought it was interesting how he pointed out that the main thing we remember about Moses didn't happen until very late in his life. He had already spent decades being faithful tending sheep until God called on him to carry out His plan. We just need to be faithful in the place we have now until God calls on us.

Another sticking point for me was considering the Sabbath. It's one of the ten commandments that's easy to forget about. But it has caused me to think about what it means to remember the Sabbath and keep it holy. How can we do this as a family?

He talks about fear being frantic. Much of our 'hustle' is done in fear not in faith. That resonated with me in how I've been feeling convicted lately to live and parent out of faith, not fear. So much of the media and culture is rooted in and plays to fear. It's always a good reminder to step back and evaluate what is driving us, what is our source, and what we are chasing.

One thing I felt the book was missing was the grace and the Holy Spirit's work in our lives. (I would recommend reading this in tandem with The Imperfect Disciple by Jared Wilson.) Life is about being, not doing, but 1) anything we become is not from our careful structuring of the 'perfect' work/life/rest balance but the Holy Spirit changing us and enabling us to do anything good; 2) the relationship between obedience and grace is a bit tricky- we are responsible for our choices and are held accountable for our use of our time and resources and how we treat others, etc, but we also are free to fail because his grace covers our imperfections. I think this book put a little too much emphasis on our own ability to create the 'correct life.'

That being said, there is a lot of assumption or interpretation that happens in reading books and Bethke is actually pretty good about clarifying where people may say, 'Yes, but...' And I don't think he would disagree with anything I just said but just chose to talk about other things.

There are some political comments in this book, but it's not in an effort to push a particular agenda other than rightly asking us to stop making politics part of our core identity. And I appreciate that. The polarization of politics is out of control and is causing people to evaluate other people's faith and moral character based on their voting record as if that is where our identity lies. In a book that has set out to challenge the things that our influencing us, you have to mention political things.

As a result of this book, am I going to radically change my life, throw out my phone, say 'no' to everything for the next year, boycott the internet, and spend all of Sunday praying- no, and he's not suggesting this. But you can bet this book has challenged me to be wiser in the things I say 'yes' to, wiser in my use of technology, sensitive to what I am allowing to influence my family and me and our identities, willing to experience silence, and above all- focusing on being more like Jesus- being faithful, the circular process of sanctification in the ordinary. There is freedom, and it's not found in hustling.
Although Bethke mentions millennials so many times, I felt as a Gen Xer maybe I wasn't supposed to be reading this book, Bethke did make good points about placing too much focus on the "hustle" of how we are expected to live our lives today. He also offered some good advice on how we might focus our lives differently.
To Hell with the Hustle was a book that I would recommend to everyone I know. We all need to slow down and breath. This book has made me rethink some of my decisions and helped me to slow down and focus on what’s really important in life. I was given this copy from NewGalley for my honest review.
I saw this book and thought the title was right up my alley. I always am hustling it seems and I am actively trying to slow down. So I thought there would be some great advice in this book. WRONG.

While there are several golden nuggets of information along the way, the majority of the book was superfluous. It was also in no apparent logical order, so kind of meandered to and fro from one subject to another throughout. It was lacking basic structure and flow.

Still worth pondering, since many of the topics covered are valid for reducing overwhelm (honor the Sabbath, unplug from digital devices, add more margin, just say no, reduce your time on social media), but the book did not offer much value for me personally. There IS, however, value in slowing down and reducing overwhelm, so reading the book will still give you some insight there.

I received a copy of the book from the publisher and Netgalley in return for my review. My opinions are my own.
I wasn’t sure when I first opened this book but as I read on I was wowed! This book is needed by most everyone in today’s busy, rushed, tired world. This book is very well-written and hits right to the point. I recommend this book to anyone who’s tired of the daily hustle.
I was able to read To Hell With the Hustle for free from Netgalley, the publisher and the author for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This book shows us to slow down. Reminding us to live a slow life, not a fast-pasted, hectic life.   It shows us that Jesus often had quiet time for prayer and reflection.  We need to learn to be more like Jesus, ought out solitude, quiet times and live a more intentional life in pursuit of Him.  This book is great for those who feel overworked, anxious, and feel they need to slow down.
To Hell with the Hustle... It was helpful but not the strongest self help book for 2019. The title and description drew me in and that's where the interest ended.
This book had a good premise but failed to deliver.

I went into this book thinking it would be a thought-provoking read, needless to say, I was disappointed.

I will still recommend it as it might contain some interesting notions for other readers out there.

I would like to thank the Publishers, NetGalley, and the Author for sending me a copy of this book.
A while back we moved to Nicaragua as missionaries. We left the hustle and bustle, ball fields and social gatherings and exchanged them for a much slower pace. Each visit we make back to the US reminds us what a hassle it I to be caught up in it. I feel for all of those caught up in the dance recitals and soccer games. I have never spent more time with my kids than when I got out of that race. Bethke goes to great details to push being verses doing. The model is true. Doing only makes you more busy.Changing those habits will set you free. Moralism doesn't really help any, we must become followers of Christ and repent when we find something that negates the scripture we hold as true.
#ToHellWithTheHustle #NetGalley
Several books on slowing down, choosing less instead of more, and refusing to hustle released within a few months. Bethke's 'To Hell with the Hustle' is broken up into fewer (larger) chapters than most of the other titles on a similar topic. His take is unique, but the writing style was not for me. I found multiple storylines to be confusing, as they didn't have a conclusive or left the reader hanging. I was also distracted by many typos throughout the manuscript.