To Hell with the Hustle

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

We glorify the "hustle" and doing it all both in Christianity and tge world .  The idea that the drive to always be "doing" and striving is so often glorified, and the idea that it doesn't allow us to BE the people we need to be.  I enjoyed the concept of the book and hope to take the "hustle" out of my life.
 "We are chasing freedom yet becoming slaves."

"What if the goal isn't to hustle but to be faithful?"

The point of this book is to reflect on our busyness and the way we spend our time and resources- is it actually delivering the freedom it promises? how is it affecting us and our families? what do we lose when we don't truly rest or experience silence?

My husband started it and pointed out some science analogies he made that were inaccurate (there IS gravity on the moon, you won't float away, it's just less than earth; and the whole frog jumping out of gradually boiling water is a myth-- *not sure how these got past editing*) so I suppose my expectations were skewed when I started to read. But honestly, I thought it was a worthwhile book and found it better than I was expecting. Yeah some analogies weren't perfect, but the points he makes are still valid.

I don't feel like I'm currently in the 'hustle' mindset and may need to revisit this book when our kids are older and our schedule is busier, BUT I still found some good and convicting insights in this book.

I'm not really a regular goal-setter but I liked how he has eliminated the word 'goal' and replaced it with 'formation.' The semantics aren't what attracts me but rather his explanation. A goal is linear, and is focused on the endpoint, the accomplishment itself, whereas a formation is circular and is about the process. I've read several books lately that contrast 'doing' and 'being.' Sanctification and identity isn't what we do or accomplish but about who we are becoming in Christ, our 'being.' And I like to think of that as a circular process rather than a placement on a line. So much of following Christ is forgetting and remembering, a returning to  "the same place for refreshment and renewal"  or what he also classifies as a 'rhythm.'

I like that his book is targeting the lies we are sold that we just need to hustle more, try and work harder and we can reach our dreams and have the lives we want. That's not the message of the Bible but is the suffocating message of our culture.

His book is a compelling case for the ordinary. Not that following Jesus is boring and mundane in the sense that it's depressing and meaningless, but that faithfulness is ordinary. It's the everyday. The moments we have daily in the obscure lives we have now. It's a little uncomfortable to think about it in those terms because culture pushes the big, extraordinary, famous, and shiny as 'meaningful' lives. I thought it was interesting how he pointed out that the main thing we remember about Moses didn't happen until very late in his life. He had already spent decades being faithful tending sheep until God called on him to carry out His plan. We just need to be faithful in the place we have now until God calls on us.

Another sticking point for me was considering the Sabbath. It's one of the ten commandments that's easy to forget about. But it has caused me to think about what it means to remember the Sabbath and keep it holy. How can we do this as a family?

He talks about fear being frantic. Much of our 'hustle' is done in fear not in faith. That resonated with me in how I've been feeling convicted lately to live and parent out of faith, not fear. So much of the media and culture is rooted in and plays to fear. It's always a good reminder to step back and evaluate what is driving us, what is our source, and what we are chasing.

One thing I felt the book was missing was the grace and the Holy Spirit's work in our lives. (I would recommend reading this in tandem with The Imperfect Disciple by Jared Wilson.) Life is about being, not doing, but 1) anything we become is not from our careful structuring of the 'perfect' work/life/rest balance but the Holy Spirit changing us and enabling us to do anything good; 2) the relationship between obedience and grace is a bit tricky- we are responsible for our choices and are held accountable for our use of our time and resources and how we treat others, etc, but we also are free to fail because his grace covers our imperfections. I think this book put a little too much emphasis on our own ability to create the 'correct life.'

That being said, there is a lot of assumption or interpretation that happens in reading books and Bethke is actually pretty good about clarifying where people may say, 'Yes, but...' And I don't think he would disagree with anything I just said but just chose to talk about other things.

There are some political comments in this book, but it's not in an effort to push a particular agenda other than rightly asking us to stop making politics part of our core identity. And I appreciate that. The polarization of politics is out of control and is causing people to evaluate other people's faith and moral character based on their voting record as if that is where our identity lies. In a book that has set out to challenge the things that our influencing us, you have to mention political things.

As a result of this book, am I going to radically change my life, throw out my phone, say 'no' to everything for the next year, boycott the internet, and spend all of Sunday praying- no, and he's not suggesting this. But you can bet this book has challenged me to be wiser in the things I say 'yes' to, wiser in my use of technology, sensitive to what I am allowing to influence my family and me and our identities, willing to experience silence, and above all- focusing on being more like Jesus- being faithful, the circular process of sanctification in the ordinary. There is freedom, and it's not found in hustling.
Although Bethke mentions millennials so many times, I felt as a Gen Xer maybe I wasn't supposed to be reading this book, Bethke did make good points about placing too much focus on the "hustle" of how we are expected to live our lives today. He also offered some good advice on how we might focus our lives differently.
To Hell with the Hustle was a book that I would recommend to everyone I know. We all need to slow down and breath. This book has made me rethink some of my decisions and helped me to slow down and focus on what’s really important in life. I was given this copy from NewGalley for my honest review.
I saw this book and thought the title was right up my alley. I always am hustling it seems and I am actively trying to slow down. So I thought there would be some great advice in this book. WRONG.

While there are several golden nuggets of information along the way, the majority of the book was superfluous. It was also in no apparent logical order, so kind of meandered to and fro from one subject to another throughout. It was lacking basic structure and flow.

Still worth pondering, since many of the topics covered are valid for reducing overwhelm (honor the Sabbath, unplug from digital devices, add more margin, just say no, reduce your time on social media), but the book did not offer much value for me personally. There IS, however, value in slowing down and reducing overwhelm, so reading the book will still give you some insight there.

I received a copy of the book from the publisher and Netgalley in return for my review. My opinions are my own.
I wasn’t sure when I first opened this book but as I read on I was wowed! This book is needed by most everyone in today’s busy, rushed, tired world. This book is very well-written and hits right to the point. I recommend this book to anyone who’s tired of the daily hustle.
I was able to read To Hell With the Hustle for free from Netgalley, the publisher and the author for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This book shows us to slow down. Reminding us to live a slow life, not a fast-pasted, hectic life.   It shows us that Jesus often had quiet time for prayer and reflection.  We need to learn to be more like Jesus, ought out solitude, quiet times and live a more intentional life in pursuit of Him.  This book is great for those who feel overworked, anxious, and feel they need to slow down.
To Hell with the Hustle... It was helpful but not the strongest self help book for 2019. The title and description drew me in and that's where the interest ended.
This book had a good premise but failed to deliver.

I went into this book thinking it would be a thought-provoking read, needless to say, I was disappointed.

I will still recommend it as it might contain some interesting notions for other readers out there.

I would like to thank the Publishers, NetGalley, and the Author for sending me a copy of this book.
A while back we moved to Nicaragua as missionaries. We left the hustle and bustle, ball fields and social gatherings and exchanged them for a much slower pace. Each visit we make back to the US reminds us what a hassle it I to be caught up in it. I feel for all of those caught up in the dance recitals and soccer games. I have never spent more time with my kids than when I got out of that race. Bethke goes to great details to push being verses doing. The model is true. Doing only makes you more busy.Changing those habits will set you free. Moralism doesn't really help any, we must become followers of Christ and repent when we find something that negates the scripture we hold as true.
#ToHellWithTheHustle #NetGalley
Several books on slowing down, choosing less instead of more, and refusing to hustle released within a few months. Bethke's 'To Hell with the Hustle' is broken up into fewer (larger) chapters than most of the other titles on a similar topic. His take is unique, but the writing style was not for me. I found multiple storylines to be confusing, as they didn't have a conclusive or left the reader hanging. I was also distracted by many typos throughout the manuscript.
This book written by Jefferson Bethke is so inspiring and motivating. He discusses how our mindset in this day and age is always hurrying and getting things done as fast as we can, and often always feeling like we need to rush time. Bethke uses excellent research and examples to help us understand that our society was not made to be this way, this is not how God created it.

*I receive a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*
This book is what I really needed! My life is always chaos and I suffer from anxiety. Right now it is December and I am really stressing. This book is so good! I really think that it will help me dealing with chaos. I plan to reread it in January and put the ideas into practice. I have ordered this book for the library and people seem to be checking it out!
This title was not as exciting as others of Jefferson’s. I actually quit reading. This concept may be new to Jefferson’s generation and they may need to read it,
Beautifully written book. Great well thought out points and highly engaging. I would recommend this book to everyone. Slow down and enjoy. I really like how he says what he and Alyssa do. And I’m grateful that he keeps writing.
I was intrigued by the title and the idea but I didn’t enjoy the book. I feel he really went off topic too often which made it difficult to get through.
Thanks to NetGalley and Thomas Nelson Publishers for an ARC of "To Hell With the Hustle".
I first discovered the gem that is the Bethke's in 2017, a few months before their first book was published. I noticed a Christian podcast that seemed light and fun, so I started listening. Something about them is just so genuine and real that I stuck with their story.
"To Hell With the Hustle" is Jefferson Bethke's latest book, encompassing the idea of the hustle and what we miss when we're constantly hustling. In this book, he's speaking directly at Christians and honestly asking the questions I think we're all a little afraid to ask. Mostly because if we ask these questions it will change our faith and suddenly our faith will demand more of us.
The biggest question I had to deal with was: what if I'm hustling and moving so fast that I hustle past others pain and hurt? Christians shouldn't be moving that fast. Jesus certainly didn't. God tried to give us a speed limit of sorts by placing Sabbath in our week.
This book was excellent. You can see Bethke's passion written on every page: being like Jesus. I think sometimes we get so roped into culture that we lose sight of what matters, this book is a direct response to it.
this book is very similar to the John Mark Comer book that just came out. The two worked together on a podcast and this is a great resource if one wants to continue moving forward. It’s a message we all need to hear now and is popular in Christians circles. Bethke is a practical and enthusiastic author. I appreciated this work but it was hard not to compare the two. My biggest drawback for not using this book in curriculum at church is the name. It would not be well received in our church solely because of the title, even though the content is good.
For Bethke, who is a self-proclaimed product of the Internet generation, it's refreshing to read something so wholesome and helpful to combat the fast, distracted nature that the internet has nurtured to create. In essence, Bethke takes us back to the attributes of Jesus' life in sharing his perspectives on what he is finding work for him and his family to live a life seeking to adopt the two key 'love' commandments of Jesus.

This is a relatively short book and is in some ways a companion piece to his friend John Mark Comer's most recent one: "The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry". What I liked about Bethke's book is the deliberate attention to such attributes like: ordinariness, obscurity, sabbath, slow pace, saying 'no' and empathy. All of these attributes were modelled by Jesus and with that fact in my mind it's a very important message to the modern church.

Bethke shares some unusual stories to introduce a number of his points but I'd suggest these are the reflection of the man and the way his mind works. But his no-holds barred writing kept me on my toes and I found I was highlighting much of the book.

My only comment for strengthening the book would to provide some specific mechanism for the reader to 'work' on the material, perhaps with 3-4 reflection questions at the end of each chapter. Otherwise, it's a tremendous addition to the growing library of books that are encouraging the church to 'seek ye first the kingdom of God' which requires intentional actions to change pace and say 'no' to what both the modern world and church are throwing up at us.

Highly recommended.

I received an ebook copy from the publisher via Netgalley with no presumption to writing a positive review.
There is a lot of good intent in this book, we do definitely need to be on our phones less in general, but I felt like there was too much focus on that and yet at the same time the book didn't seem to have a good solution for being more present. I am not sure exactly what I was expecting, but I didn't feel like my expectations were met. To be completely fair, I didn't read the entire book because I lost interest, and perhaps the content I was hoping for might have appeared further into the book.