Unfollow Me

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 10 Feb 2020

Unfollow Me by Charlotte Duckworth is a topical mystery that is quite intriguing.

Violet Young is an über popular influencer with a massive following on social media. She splashes her three young daughters and husband Henry Blake on YouTube and Instagram and her down to earth stories resonate deeply with her followers. So when  Violet’s social media channels inexplicitly disappear without notice or explanation, her fans are concerned. As days pass without any word, rumors begin to swirl and her followers are wondering: Where is Violet?

Yvonne Hawley is one of Violet’s fans who is also quite worried about the popular vloger.  But Yvonne is also dealing with worries of her own as she and her husband Simon struggle with infertility.  Having failed to achieve a pregnancy with their three NHS funded IVF treatments, they are hoping to save enough money to continue on their own.  But there is more to Yvonne’s obsession with Violet’s possible disappearance and Henry than fears for the influencer’s safety. Does Yvonne know more about what happened to Violet than she is revealing?

Lily Peters is also quite obsessed with Violet and she is desperate to uncover the reason for her sudden disappearance. Lily is a single mum who is barely making enough money to support herself and her three year old son Archie. She is overwhelmed and her nightly wine habit leads to some regretful decisions while under the influence. Lily becomes quite determined to discover what happened to Violet and her behavior is borderline stalkerish.  Is it possible Lily has information that could explain Violet’s sudden withdrawal from the public eye?

By all appearances, Violet and Henry are happily married and devoted to each other and their children. Violet is honest about her parenting struggles and she does not shy away from revealing embarrassing information about herself. Could someone who does not hesitate to share virtually every aspect of her life to the public harbor secrets which might explain her disappearance?

Unfolding from three distinct points of view, Unfollow Me is a suspenseful mystery with a clever storyline.  Lily and Yvonne are interesting characters that are complex and multi-layered. The plot is engaging and the tension grows with every chapter. The story is engrossing and fully explores the pitfalls of social media. Charlotte Duckworth brings the novel to an unexpected conclusion that is impossible to predict. I completely enjoyed and recommend this domestic mystery to fans of the genre.
Unfollow Me by Charlotte Ducksworth is an easy-to-read, intriguing and thought-provoking commentary on the current social media obsession. It’s billed as a domestic thriller, but I think that’s inaccurate. It is part mystery and a small part thriller, but if you’re expecting a typical suspense novel, I’m afraid you’ll be disappointed.

The story centers around Violet Young, an extremely popular YouTube influencer who features her family and lifestyle in her blogs, but zeros in on the adventures of motherhood and particularly post-partum struggles. We are given the points of view of two followers, Yvonne and Lily who are obsessed with Violet-is-Blue, and require a daily hit of her videos and Instagram posts in their lives. It’s an addiction, and a common one. When Violet suddenly deletes her accounts and goes missing, her fans are in a panic and news of her absence goes viral.

This novel examines not only the mystery of her disappearance, but also the affect her channel and influence has had on these two particular ladies. Unfollow Me explores the obsession we all have with influencers and social media and the far-reaching implications. I do think this story began to drag in the middle and lose its momentum, and it ended rather quietly, in my opinion, without a shocking reveal or big bang, which is okay. It is definitely a worthwhile and interesting read, and carries important topics to ponder.
The title isn't representative of the actual book, which may confuse readers.  Having said that... there are three voices we hear from, Yvonne, Lily and Henry, rotating through as the mystery of mommy influencer Violet's complete disappearance from her social media feeds unfolds.  Readers of the this genre will know that things are not going to be as easy to figure out as might be in a mystery book, and there are going to be unreliable narrators and facts.  Without spoilers, I can say that I was able to identify who early on - there is one twist surrounding Violet's disappearance that I did not see coming.  And, as with the best of these books, there's a sense that this could actually happen.

eARC provided by publisher.
This story follows a hugely popular mommy YouTuber named Violet Young, who has over a million subscribers who faithfully watch her daily vlogs about her life and family.  But one day, she completely disappears from the online world.  Overnight, Violet has taken down her YouTube, Twitter, Instagram accounts — it’s as though she’s never existed.

What’s interesting about this story is that it’s told from the point of view of two of her most avid fans as they investigate Violet’s disappearance and try to figure out what happened to her.  They are pretty much in a panicked frenzy as they scramble to determine why Violet shut down all her social media accounts.

First, there’s Lily, who is living alone with her three-year-old son Archie and Yvonne, a 40-year-old married woman who is desperately trying to get pregnant.  The story is told from alternating timelines between Yvonne and Lily and later on in the story, from Violet’s husband, Henry.

What follows is quite a fast-paced narrative as Violet’s story begins to unfold from alternating perspectives with some surprising twists in the process.  This is one of those stories where none of the characters are what they seem, which is one of my favorite types of tropes.  Thus, it’s up to the reader to determine who is lying and what is real, which is no easy task. It’s also worth mentioning that most of the characters are mostly unlikeable, which added an extra exciting element to the story.

The book dealt with a variety of themes such as obsession, celebrity worship, lying, loss, jealousy, grief, Internet trolls, online stalkers, online influencers, privacy, and, of course, social media addiction.  What especially intrigued me about this story, however, is that it’s not really so far-fetched as I see this type of thing all the time online.

This story about a mommy vlogger sucked me right in, and before I knew it, I was as obsessed as Violet’s fans about finding out what happened to her.  I also enjoyed how the story illustrated how the lives that people portray online might not be actual fact, and in the case of this story, everyone involved seemed to have their share of dark secrets.   It also makes you question the information we share about ourselves online and how the trolls we encounter on Social Media may not be as harmless as we think.

I’ve discovered that I really enjoy stories about the world of social media, and this one did not disappoint.  Unfollow Me is a multi-layered creepy psychological thriller with dark undertones and a fun mystery to solve, which rendered it truly unputdownable for me.  I love the types of stories where you can’t trust anyone, and that was definitely the case here, and the web that the author created was exceptionally intricate.  I also thought that the ending was satisfying, as was the fun epilogue.

I thought Unfollow Me was brilliantly paced, well-constructed, emotionally intense, and flawlessly executed.   All in all, this is a chilling and eye-opening book about the impact that Social Media influencers have on the lives of others, and I loved it.
I really enjoyed this story. I like the whole mommy b/vlogger character but after reading a couple like this I can see where it will eventually get old, like anything else. Unlike some others this one was very believable and easy to get sucked into. What was really enjoyable was the ending.  There was an effective resolution. No huge, unbelievable twisty conclusion that made you go hmmmm. I love a good twist but with so much of the story being low-key enthralling, a big finish would have been wonky. Thank you to Quercus/Netgalley for the ARC.  I will look for more from this author!
An okay book but nothing exciting. I would certainly argue with it being classified as a thriller! Okay there was a mystery but at no point was this book suspenseful or thrilling. In fact at times it was actually dull.

It was a good premise and started well although I wanted to know more about Violet up front. She disappeared quickly and only popped up as hearsay until the last few chapters. There were three unreliable and unlikeable narrators, none of whom attracted any real sympathy. Eventually their stories tied up together, Violet made a reappearance and there was a rather flat ending.

Sounds as though I really disliked it! I didn't. It was okay, readable and a way to while away a few hours. It could also start an interesting debate as to whether Violet was right in what she did or whether her family suffered as a result. Very much a modern day issue.
This is my second back to back thriller dealing with technology and the impact social media has on our lives.

Two books with the same foundation, but that's were the similarity ends.

The first ([book:Follow Me|49525302]) deals with an egotistical nobody who's trying to be somebody, because it makes them feel special.

Unfollow me actually deals with the subject from the audiences point of view-those who give the likes and make the user feel loved.

I'm actually glad I read these 2 back to back as it was interesting to read from both POV's.

This domestic thriller is certainly relevant and timely, but the actual mystery itself was pretty brilliant. Duckworth weaved a well crafted story line with unreliable characters to completely keep me off balance. The way she tied everything up at the end was seamless.

Highly recommend, and I look forward to reading what's next from this author!

ARC provided by NetGalley
Thank you Net Galley and Crooked Lane Books for an early copy of Unfollow Me.  Wow, Wow, Wow!  Fantastic book, soooooooooooo addicting to read.  Loved the characters. I read it in 24 hours, it was an Awesome read!!
Unfortunately this book wasn't for me.  I didn't like the fact that we never got to see or hear the other POV from Violet, and also Lily just seemed worryingly unhinged.  I felt it was slow enough and struggled to hold my interest once I had put it down.

Thank you for the opportunity to read it in exchange for an honest review.
When Violet Young, a hugely popular mummy vlogger and influencer goes off line it sets a buzz amongst her followers. Why has she shut done all her social media accounts? What's happened? Is something wrong with her, her three adorable children or Henry, her perfect magazine publisher husband? What are her addicted fans going to do now they can no longer get their daily fix of Violet?

The mystery unfurls from the point of view of two of Violet's followers. Lily, who has an unhealthy obsession with Violet's online persona, and Yvonne who is harbouring her own secret about Violet's family. This is a deliciously fun and twisty psychological thriller which playfully highlights the dangers of believing all you read on social media.
What I Loved:
Phew! Let’s talk about influencers for a second. They put themselves all over social media, inviting people into their homes and lives virtually and they have no idea who all of these people are. What are their intentions, will they begin stalking you, emailing you, trolling you?

Unfollow Me by Charlotte Duckworth took me by surprise! I loved the plot surrounding one Vlogger’s successful social career and a glimpse into the lives of two of her followers. I was captivated by the story and did NOT want to put this book down.

How I Felt:
So, I wasn’t really convinced that Unfollow Me should land in the “Thriller” genre. I think that the term gets thrown on a lot of books and maybe should not be. BUT, I looked up the actual definition of Thriller and here it is:

"A thriller is a genre of literature, film, and television whose primary feature is that it induces strong feelings of excitement, anxiety, tension, suspense, fear, and other similar emotions in its readers or viewers—in other words, media that thrills the audience."

So guess what…Unfollow Me by Charlotte Duckworth absolutely falls into the Thriller genre! This book managed to elicit three out of the four feelings in the thriller description!

Excitement ✔️
Anxiety ✔️
Suspense ✔️
Fear ❌

Quick overview of My Thoughts:
* Great overall plot and story
* Lots of twists and turns

* I really want to know if one sub-character is going to be okay and did not get that closure
* One character’s parental neglect really bothered me

The Characters: There are 2 female main characters and a variety of supporting people in this book. I didn’t really like any of the main characters and I’m not sure I was supposed to. My feelings did not, however, negatively impact my utter enjoyment of this book.

The characters are well-built with history and experiences that are revealed as the story progresses. I felt like I had one type of feeling towards each person and as the story progressed and I learned more about them, but feelings changed. It was surprise after surprise about each person.

The Writing: I found Unfollow Me to be a well-written story. I was grabbed right from the beginning with an email from a stalker to vlogger Violet Young. I was immediately grabbed by the story and needed to know more! Charlotte Duckworth did an excellent job of weaving a tale of mystery. She wrote in a way that lead the reader in one direction, thinking they knew what was happening, and then she revealed another piece of information, and everything changed. It was a delight to read.

The Plot: Violet Young a celebrity in the mommy-vlogger circles, has just closed all her social media accounts. No notice was given; she’s just gone. The story follows two of her followers as they process the loss of their YouTube vice. Her disappearance consumes them. Where has she gone? What has happened to her? Is she okay?

The two followers take different approaches to find out what happened to her and as they go begin to piece together the events leading up to Violet’s sudden social media disappearance, we, the reader begin to piece together why each of them are invested.

The Ending: This ending was completely unexpected to me. I did not guess one thing until I was given enough information to do so. I was just along for the ride through this entire book and I enjoyed it so much!

Content Warnings: Child harm, stalking, harassing, late-term pregnancy termination, infertility, alcoholism, addiction to social media (that one’s probably not a trigger, but just in case).

Overall: I really enjoyed Unfollow Me. I loved the numerous mysteries to solve and the way this story had me bouncing from one theory to another.

To Read or Not To Read:
If you are looking for a book that will keep you on your toes and keep you guessing at the true story, you will enjoy Follow Me. Don’t go into this book thinking of a thriller in terms of a murderer on the lose. This thriller is focused on suspense, excitement, and secrets! It was completely worth reading!

I was provided an advanced reader’s copy of this book for free. I am leaving my honest, unbiased review voluntarily.
This book was a good thriller. Unfortunately it was very predictable and the main character wasn’t even the main character. There were 2 many pov’s and I didn’t really understand why.

The writing was good, just seemed a little jumpy to me.
Possible trigger warnings: adultery, sexual assault, alcoholism, infertility, death of a child

Based on the summary, I was excited to read this book. It's one of my favorite genres, as well. Sadly, it didn't meet my expectations.

There wasn't as much uniqueness to the story as I'd hoped, and there was a lot of predictability. I was actively engaged for part of the story, but I did see many of the twists coming. The writing is solid, and the characters are well-drawn, for the most part. I also liked the parts on how social media has pulled us in as a society, and how it has a way of inviting the good and bad into our lives. It was just an okay read overall.
Violet is a wife, mom and vlogger. Her life seems perfect as she is showing off her handsome husband, her beautiful children and their expensive toys, her brand clothes and shoes received for commercial purposes. Until one night, when she completely disappears from the online, deleting her blog and YouTube channel and everything.

The story is revealing itself from several POVs: among the many who watch Violet, there are two women obsessed with her that we get PoVs from, plus a PoV from Violet’s husband. Violet does not get a PoV until towards the end, so as to not ruin the mystery.

The characters are all quite crazy and obsessive, but the story flows easily and it makes you curious why the vlogger disappeared so brusquely, so it was an ok read overall.
Thanks to Netgalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review!

CW: stalking, cheating, adultery, sexual assault, victim blaming, alcoholism, fertility problems, death of a child, and harm to a child

Oh, did I want to like this book more. I thought it sounded a little bit like You and Follow Me, so I was super hyped to pick this up. I did read this book in one day. I'm blessed to have a desk job where, while I'm doing my work (aka cleaning up returned things so we can resell them as slightly used), I can read on my phone. So, that's what I did in this case.

The story is, in a sense, about Violet's life. She's a blogger and YouTuber who talks about parenting, having gotten started after having post-partum (or post-natal) depression. She has three children and a husband. But the story barely covers her. She's at the heart of it, but it's more about Lily, a woman with a young son who's obsessed with Violet's life, and Yvonne, a woman who watches Violet's videos and is struggling to get pregnant. Oh, and about Henry.

I found it like most of the other thrillers that are coming out. You have the alcoholic character who is obsessed with someone. Then you have the character that's got some past that ties them all together in a way. It was predictable. While I was definitely hooked for most of the book, I kind of guessed the ending because, well, it's like a lot of thrillers I've read. I'm sure this book is going to be a hit with most readers because it's well-written and the story is interesting, but I found it a bit predictable.

And then the ending? Eh. I can see Duckworth revisiting this story in the future. Again, not a bad thing. I'd even read it if she did. But, just a case of a book that's objectively good but I just found it to be an okay thriller.
Thank you to NetGalley, Charlotte Duckworth and Crooked Lane Books for the free e-book in exchange for an honest review.

I loved this novel! I was addicted right from the beginning and it was really interesting to see a novel that’s finally discussing fertility issues. Being a woman who has now had many miscarriages, it’s really nice to see it written down and see it normalized a little bit so that I didn’t feel so troubled. It was also nice that this book wasn’t totally centered around one person’s issues, but seeing a few different issues that are so opposite from one another. I was totally into this novel and I flew through it. It was super interesting and I loved every minute of it.

Out March 10th
DISCLAIMER! At the last Cons point my frustration is so high that it seems like I am trashing the author. It is NOT my intention, in any way! It's just my frustration showing it's worst and my inability to make myself and my opinion understood.

I know my review comes after more than one month since I finished the book, but I honestly don't know how to start it and how to explain why and what I didn't liked about this book, because I feel like I can't find my words for it. The idea of it, sounded awesome to me, hence this is why I requested this book on NetGalley. The synopsis intrigued me a lot, and mostly because it felt so relatable to our days! So I decided I wanted to read it. And my excitement started to fade after... let's just say around 10 pages into the book. Yup... Just 10 pages into it. It's a shame!
I will just let you my main big CONS about this book, without even losing more time to pick all the other small bad things.

• Misleading synopsis. I may be wrong, but while the synopsis, in big lines, tells you what this book is about, if you pay attention to it after you start to actually read the book, you will see that it was misleading you. Yes, it's about Violet. Yes, you have the perspectives from two of her so-called "biggest fans". Yes, Violet suddenly deletes all her social media accounts. But I think here it stops to lead you on the good way.
• Misleading title?! God... I swear on Jesus's thorns, I just... I mean, when you read " Unfollow me", at what you think? You think that the book is focused on a specific character, right? Violet, here, to be more specific. But! Here comes the big old "but"... BUT! Violet is barely present in the book! You don't really get to know her, or her motives or I don't know what shit you wanna know or you are supposed to know about her! She is more like a ghost.
• Unnecessary character. One of the perspectives is from a young mother who is obsessed with Violet (but hey, who isn't obsessed with her in this book, anyway?!), I don't even remember her name. And, honestly? I really, really feel like she is so God damn unnecessary in this book! She is annoying, and 9 out of 10 words that she is saying, are lies. And, again, I don't see her point in this book. Yes, she did some things that helped a little for the plot, but that's just most of what she did. Beside her unending lies. So, in conclusion, half of the book is just crap!
• The " big" reveal. Don't get me wrong, I am not a heartless human being, but like, really?! This is all you can do?! You just throw this because -SPOILER- it's about a kid and you hope that this will make it for all those 300 pages (I think) of crap and lies and boredom?! I don't even... I mean, it's pure frustration. It feels like this book needed an end and the first thing that you saw on the news you just put it there... Unnecessary and pointless...
I recently found myself enjoying thrillers broaching the subject of social media. Add an unreliable  narrator and a fast paced story around a missing mummy blogger and I'm happy!
I think that the author illustrates how social media closes in on people’s lives. Not only does the blogger invite friendly fans but also dangerous ones. Just a spooky realization about technology today and how it can impact our world
Wow what a great book, full of twists and turns. I found this to be a quick and easy read and one that was hard to put down. The plot starts speedily and never lets up; it keeps you guessing about the next twist and its resolution. To me it was never clear who would do what and for what reason – I’m an avid reader of mysteries and thrillers, and after decades of reading...not much comes as a surprise anymore. But the intricate and evil loopholes Charlotte Duckworth leaves for her readers is masterfully devised and make the novel a joy to read.

I appreciate the way the author ties everything up. Unlike many other writers, who build up and build up and then wrap everything up in the final nanosecond, leaving the reader feeling slightly disappointed at the sudden ending that doesn't explain everything to the reader's satisfaction. All in all, an incredibly imaginative, cleverly constructed, and wickedly suspenseful read that I highly recommend.