Cover Image: Unfollow Me

Unfollow Me

First many, many thanks to the publisher for giving me the opportunity to read a digital galley of this book before its publication date. I love reading books that incorporate social media and show the downsides of sharing so much personal information with strangers online.

The introduction of this book had me absolutely hooked! I loved everything about it and was very excited to read more. Lily’s first chapter was good...but then Yvonne’s chapter came along and I thought, “Oh, please, no...” Yep. Once again, another thriller with a completely amazing premise is mommy-jacked. For the love of God, why does this keep happening in just about every book I read?!?! I do not want to read mommy fiction or stories about characters that constantly wonder “OMG-when-am-I-ever-going-to-get-pregnant” when what I wanted to read was a suspenseful thriller.

I’m not going to go into the details of the story because there’s really nothing to say. There was zero suspense - just nonstop mommy and wannabe mommy gibberish.
I was so captivated by Charlotte Duckworth’s first book that I immediately read Unfollow Me. This book is about a mommy vlogger with a sizeable following who suddenly deletes her accounts. Her followers are convinced something is wrong. The book introduces you to many characters, all who are messed up and have strange motives.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for providing advance review copies to review. All opinions are my own.
Unfollow Me is a well-written, suspenseful, fun and sometimes sad read.  I lived in the UK when I we first started our family, so the message conversations on the mummy boards made me laugh out loud because that is exactly the way I remember the boards: full of abbreviations, gossip, misunderstandings and quick judgements.
Charlotte Duckworth does a good job creating authentic and believable characters who live lives that we can relate to.
As the stories of Lily, Yvonne and Henry unfold, the suspense is maintained until the end, but the suspense is not so intense that the reader can't wait to find out. There's plenty going on in the lives of all the characters making this more than just a mystery.

I recommend this book to readers who enjoy real life stories with some suspense.  I enjoyed it very much.

With thanks to Crooked Lane Books and Netgalley for the ARC.
This book blew my mind. I didn't expect to love it as much as I did. It quickly got my attention and it got to a point where I was unable to put the book down, I was so engrossed in the mystery. There were no characters to like in this book, but I disliked the ones I was supposed to and the mystery part of the story was handled really well.

This book made it worth to sign up on NetGalley. Really happy with this one.
I didn’t get it. I was waiting for this book to grab me or have a major twist or an explosive end. It didn’t happen. I wouldn’t class this book at a psychological thriller. I struggled with the characters throughout the story as there are so many that don’t really need to be there. I felt like I was reading this book for a year and couldn’t wait for it to end . Not for me .
Surprise, surprise, something juicy, tasty, deliciously witty, fresh from the oven deserves 4 stars and it’s time to be a generous grader because it’s a quite fantastic, entertaining, twisty page-turner about voluntarily letting your life play out in front of the prying, curious and controlling eyes book.

This book definitely passes all the tests with flying rainbow colors.
Great writing- CHECK

Intriguing characters- CHECK

Fast and unputdownable pacing-CHECK

Satisfying conclusion- CHECK

The plot: Violet Young is a vlogger, an influencer, starts her videos telling her experiences about postpartum depression and lately she started sharing her happy life including her beautiful house, amazing kids and handsome, rich, handsome husband ( too good to be true right, better than watch any kind of Real Housewives series) with her growing numbers of followers. Buy one night, she deletes all of her social media accounts and disappears out of nowhere, leaves her curious stalkers without proper explanation.

The book starts with a troller/stalker/ psychologically damaged admirer’s letter with those haunted words: “I know everything about you, Violet…”

As soon as I grab the book, flipping those pages faster than light speed (yes, I updated my brain settings and choose the fast reading option because the book was so intriguing and as I see two different women’s POVS, I really wanted to know what were their connection with Violet and family!), I realized both of characters in this book already lost their marbles. Every one of them shows stalker-ish, obsessive compulsive tendencies, suffering from anger-management problems which worked soooo finneee with me. Much craziness always increases my appetite.

SOOOO WHAT HAPPENED TO VIOLET BLAKE? I thought it could be like Laura Palmer case and they can hire a detective as charismatic as agent Cooper. But sorry friends, this book is not a crime thriller. It’s all about illusions, lies and perversions that social media accounts created in normal people’s lives and make them volunteered slaves of BIG BROTHER in exchange of some sponsors’ not necessarily lifesaver products.

Let’s move our lunatic three amigos/characters…

Lily, 27, single mother, introvert, showing symptoms of depression and alcoholism, feels lost after she cannot connect with Violet’s virtual world. She loses her own identity by emphasizing too much with virtual realities costs her not having a proper friendship or relationship with a man. Now she resumes her life consisted of too many lies. We should be sorry for her, right! Hmmm think it again!

And Yvonne, 40, married with a younger trainer, successful photographer, trying so hard to get pregnant and she finally succeeds. So we should be happy for her, right! Hmmm think it again!

And Henry, Violet’s handsome, devoted husband looks also exhausted and lost after his wife’s disappearance from social media. He had some kind of anger issues and last time the neighbors had seen his wife, an ambulance had been spotted in front of their house. Did he hurt his wife? Why his sister-in-law take care of the children? Why does he visit hospital? And finally what the hell happened to Violet?

I loved 3 different (crazy characters’) POVS and their final connection, all those revelations and of course somewhat twisty conclusion at Violet’s part. (Violet should be careful about who will she work with!!!!)

Pacing, writing, cumulation of crazy characters, surprises enjoyed me so much. I didn’t want to slap any of the characters because they were really damaged and broken ones who couldn’t achieve to leave their pasts behind.

Special thanks part coming right now! Thanks to Netgalley and Crooked Lane Books to share this ARC COPY in exchange my honest review and of course, too many thanks to Charlotte Duckworth to create this amazing story and give some much thrillers and enjoyment.
A thoroughly enjoyable read - I had to keep reading until I found out what happened!! Some insightful social commentary and well drawn characters. Several twists I didn't anticipate. Highly recommended!
~ www.roxtao.com ~

No matter how hard you’d try to stay away from all the social media, it became such a big part of our lives that it’s absolutely impossible not to be struck on a daily basis by news, videos, articles and photos of the never ending number of “influencers”. Today, everyone’s a blogger or a vlogger or some kind of an online celebrity and their fame rivals more and more the success of traditional famous people: singers, actors, athletes etc. Maybe one of the reasons is that they seem more “like us”, easier to relate to, giving you the false feeling of closure, of affiliation, of being your friend.

Fame grows with the numbers of followers. But probably what Violet Young, a famous Instagram mommy vlogger, didn’t consider when showering into all those benefits of her successful online career is that part of her fame grew on the obsession of her followers. Her daily videos become the center of their lives, the most awaited part of their days, the reason they keep going during difficult moments. And when all her accounts are suddenly erased and she completely disappears from the Internet, her fans go crazy. And they won’t stop at anything to find her.

Unfollow me comes with an amazing idea, wonderfully executed. The whole story is incredibly realistic and perfectly set up in this era that we’re living in.

Every chapter leaves you eager for more, there’s not a single boring page or paragraph that would prolong the story unnecessarily. The perspective changes from a character to another and for more than half of the book, it’s impossible to anticipate in what ways could their separate stories intertwine. The only thing all these people seem to have in common is their obsession over Violet. Only later, dark twists start to unfold in complicated and shocking paths and slowly, you’re allowed to connect the dots and reveal the whole picture.

I read this book without even breathing, devouring each word, each page, dying to know how the story of each character will evolve.

The rhythm is fast paced, the suspense is palpable but in the same time, there’s no feeling of shallowness throughout the novel. Charlotte Duckworth is digging through the human psychology like an expert, cold and precise, not fearing to expose the darkest corners of our minds, the shadiest wishes, the secrets that some people wouldn’t hesitate to kill for, in order to keep them hidden.
Of course I had to read this book next as I had just finished Follow Me...this was the logical next step! And I'm fascinated by social media and all of the hype! Violet is married with young girls and runs a vlog helping other mothers navigate PostPartum Depression as well as managing a household ferrying kids back and forth to school and activities. So when she shuts down her pages suddenly with no warning, her many followers are first annoyed and then worried that something has happened to her. Their attempts to reach out to her successful husband yield no real answers. Then we meet Lily and Yvonne, two very different women who are obsessed with Violet. Lily is a single mother to Archie and idolizes Violet and her seemingly perfect life. Yvonne, married to a younger man, is also following Violet but her obsession is with getting pregnant with her husband whose sperm is less-than-adequate. And yet, both of these women have secrets in their pasts that eventually collide with the present as we slowly learn the truth behind Violet's disappearance. So whether you choose to follow or unfollow, this book is both chilling and entertaining!
Thank you Charlotte Duckworth, Crooked Lane Press and NetGalley for gifting me this digital ARC in exchange for an honest review. The book will be published in the US on March 10, 2020.

This book is billed as a domestic thriller and does not disappoint.  Ms. Duckworth lifts the curtains and peers beneath the glittery posts of influencer, Violet Young—to look at the gray underbelly of social media— IRL style.

Violet is a vlogger with millions of followers—she is all over social media with accounts on YouTube, Twitter, Instagram and FaceBook—all this media attention has drawn commercial sponsorship, as well.

She is the young mother to three girls, the wife of Henry-a bit of a social media influencer himself and her immensely popular vlog “Violet is Blue” is the video portrayal of her personal and family life.

It began innocently enough as a way to help herself and other mums suffering through Postpartum Depression but as she grew in popularity it morphed into a business filled with free gifts, sponsorship and not so “real” content. More often than not, this was coming at the expense of privacy, her children, and her marriage.

Then one morning without any advance warning all of Violet Young’s accounts disappear and are shut down much to the dismay of her millions of followers who feel abandoned and betrayed.

The subsequent story revolves around several individual threads:
a set of trolling threatening emails sent to Violet
a forum (a set of followers who post comments about Violet’s vlog)
Lily, an avid obsessed follower who presents herself as a widowed single mother
Yvonne, a recently married follower in her late 30’s desperate to conceive a child
and starting about halfway through Henry, Violet’s husband also chimes in.

These “separate”  stories are told through alternating chapters and Ms. Duckworth slowly begins to cleverly knit together these seemingly disparate threads.

While Violet is the centerpiece her voice is absent and her whereabouts remain a mystery.  The result is a slowly evolving story that certainly kept me both guessing and swiping through pages.

I enjoyed the complexity of her characters ranging from “good” bad people to behavior from the seemingly good characters that had me giving them a bit of the side eye.  I dabble at social media and am not a fan of personality based “reality” shows—my tastes run more towards cooking, real estate and Project Runway type reality shows.

However, I can appreciate the concepts/characters that the author is seeking to portray and her writing makes it all seem very real.  I can certainly relate to the obsessional stalker-like tendencies that are often brought to the forefront during human relationships both real and imagined.

I feel that sharing my opinions about how things further develop might come at the expense of supplying spoilers and this is not fair to other readers or the author. But I do have one more thought about a deeper theme.

In her book, Ms. Duckworth has one of her characters say: “Being angry is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.”

Human life is increasingly based on imaginary concepts be it money, time, laws, rights, or social media and the human belief that we are entitled to all of this and more grows stronger each imagined day.

It is very easy to look out and find hate, there is no need to teach you how to suffer or how to inflict pain. It is very easy to lay blame and to expect others to ease your pain— allowing them to shoulder responsibility for what’s wrong in your life.

It is very easy to feel that you deserve more, that it is your right to have what others have, that
it is their fault that you do not. You didn’t ask for this and you certainly don’t deserve it —but that’s not your fault — that when it comes to getting the things you deserve the end justifies the means.

Some humans drink this poison as part of their everyday life and some humans settle in to enjoy reading about their travails.

How Ms. Duckworth resolves this for all her various characters makes for valuable reading time well spent. I will definitely be reading her previous book, The Rival.
Violet is a social media influencer. Her life with her husband and 3 children is an open book. Or is it? While many of her followers hang on her every word and picture, not everyone thinks that she is perfect. Violet's world of power and wealth can seem unfair to some. Why should she be living such an affluent life and why is Violet so special?
When the day comes that Violet is no longer accessible to her followers, most cannot believe that she would just disappear from their lives. Told from multiple perspectives, Lily( a single mother), Yvonne( a woman desperate to have a child), Henry(Violet's husband), and blog posts by those trying to understand what happened, a twisted tale emerges. Has something happened to Violet or has she just decided the price of sharing her life with strangers is too high?
Unfollow Me was an eye-opening look at fame. Whether someone is a celebrity or an influencer, people have an up-close and personal window into your world. The story came together chapter by chapter and exposed many hidden truths. I didn't find much sympathy for any of the characters, but I was obsessed(not in a stalkerish way) with finding out how this would all fit together. Twisted, engaging, thought-provoking, and a very fast read! I will look for books by Charlotte Duckworth again!
I received a DRC from Crooked Lane Books through NetGalley.
Thank you for the advanced copy of Unfollow Me.
At first I found the book a little confusing with all the different characters and each chapter swapping to their side of the story but as the story unfolded it fell into place.
A very interesting and thought provoking book about how we live our modern lives through social networking and how we can feel we know people without even stepping outside our own living rooms.
Anyone can be anyone online which is disturbing and scary.
It brings up the question of how addictive social networking sites can be and also the prevalence of trolling.
An interesting read with a strong storyline and punchy ending.
A timely look at the tradeoff of personal privacy for social media influence, I found Unfollow Me to be an engrossing tale that compelled me to keep reading.

Duckworth's novel is told in the alternating voices of Lily, a widowed and struggling single mother, and Yvonne, a woman desperate to conceive. Both women are devotees of Violet Young, a mummy blogger who became famous due to her willingness to be frank about dealing with PPD. The book begins as Violet shuts down her social media accounts and goes silent without explanation, and the tight plot is wound around Lily and Yvonne's efforts to figure out what has happened to Violet.

It's true that some of the British colloquialisms can be tough for unfamiliar readers - I had to do a quick Google to decipher "thirties semi," or a semi-detached family home constructed in the 1930s. I was more than willing to work my way though the unfamiliar language, but others may not be so motivated.

The denouement was certainly not what I initially expected, and I'm still not sure if it was entirely satisfying, but my overall impression of this timely book is a positive one. The plot was gripping enough and, while Lily, Yvonne, and Violet were not necessarily likable characters, I did enjoy reading about them.  I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the book to other fans of the mystery/thriller genre.
This one was described as 'A gripping domestic thriller examining the terrifying depths of our social media obsessions.'

Violet Young is a popular influencer, with three children, a wonderful husband and sponsorship rolling in. Mothers gather to watch her and clearly some become quite obsessed. Until the day she's no longer there. With no explanation she disappears overnight and shuts down all social media. You can just imagine the chaos that ensues!

I must admit this was slow to start for me, with me questioning if it was really for me. But as the story went along it really picked up and there were lies, betrayals, secrets and all of the background of the characters intertwined to make for a such an entertaining story. I loved the social media aspect and Duckworth kept you guessing the whole way. So enjoyable.

Thank you to NetGalley, Crooked Lane Books and Charlotte Duckworth for this advance e-reader. I will post my review closer to publication date, in February 2020 (unless instructed to do so earlier).
Violet is a mummy-vlogger with a very popular YouTube channel. One day she deletes not only her YouTube page but all of her social media accounts without explanation. This upsets many of her faithful followers, especially the one's who are stalking her for their own reasons. What follows is the lengths fans will go to for their obsession of a social media star. A very good, suspenseful page turner.
I had a lot of fun reading Unfollow Me by Charlotte Duckworth. This tight thriller had me guessing all the way up until the end. Though it starts off at a slower pace, Unfollow Me quickly speeds up into an unstoppable story about obsession, envy, social media, and our modern world.

I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys a good thriller, and I’ll be looking forward to more by Duckworth in the future.

Thanks to Netgalley for my copy of this ARC in exchange for an honest review!
Unfollow Me is a thriller that leave you guessing until the end.

Violet, an affluent young mother, is a successful vlogger with over a million followers. Told from multiple perspectives, her most devoted fans react as Violet shares her daily struggles with motherhood and then abruptly disappears. Violet leaves no trace behind, and her fans become obsessed figuring out what happened to her. How well do we really know someone? Secrets, lies, and betrayals emerge as the story unfolds.

I would recommend this book to anyone who loves thrillers. Although the book started off slowly, Unfollow Me hooks you in the end. It was beautifully written.

Thank you, Net Galley, for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
What has happened to vlogger Violet Blake? Why has she shut down all her social media? Her  fans speculate wildly and are desperate for the truth. This addictive and fast paced thriller had me hooked from start to finish. The story is told from multiple perspectives: Yvonne, who is married to Simon and is desperate to be a mum; Lily, a single mum to Archie, permanently broke, frequently drunk as she’s so unhappy with her life; Henry, who is married to Violet and finally from Violet herself.

This book has so many themes but one of the main things which  I found so thought  provoking is the well observed and pertinent commentary on social media and people’s obsession with it and addiction to it, which can be unhealthy. Here we have the  cult of the social  celebrity who gives hope to some, entertainment to others but can also promote envy and jealousy. Lily, for example, is not living her own life, she’s not taking proper care of Archie as she is living her life vicariously through her obsession with Violet’s life. However, what is real and what is fantasy? Add jealousy, rage,  deception, guilt, lies, sadness with a dash of humour and throw in a few shocks as the revelations and truth emerges and I think you have a recipe for a bestseller! Talk about messed up lives! Whilst the characters are not likeable (except for Archie, the innocent in all the shenanigans) I did not want to stop reading about them!  As for the GoMamas website, I don’t know whether to laugh or cry!

Overall, a brilliant, exciting, twisty read which I loved! I’ll definitely want to read more by Charlotte Duckworth.

Thank you to NetGalley and Crooked Lane for the ARC.
Unfollow Me wasn't entirely what I expected when I decided I wanted to read this book.  It is a tale of sorrow and obsession and the dangers of living our lives online.  Very much a modern cautionary tale of what it's like to broadcast your every move online for clicks and likes, as well as what can happen when we let ourselves get caught up in the doings of others.

None of the characters were particularly likable or even all that sympathetic (at least to me), but I kind of enjoyed that.  It can be interesting not to have someone to root for, someone who is blatantly good in a sea of garbage.  Everyone had their flaws, there was no one to side with, and it was interesting to have their stories unravel and come to light.

While not what I normally read, this was a good book.  I had never heard of Charlotte Duckworth before reading this but I enjoyed her style and the way she let the story unfold.

**Thank you to Netgalley, the publisher, and author for a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review**
This novel was terrific! The premise a YouTube mummy sensation with a huge following on all things family. The golden girl who invites her viewers into her home as she talks extremely candidly about her children and her personal life. Some might argue too candidly. But love her or hate her Superstar Vlogger has a huge following. Until the day she disappears. All social media accounts gone.

The story then focuses on two women that can’t get enough of Violet and her family. Lily and Yvonne. Both for different reasons. Keeping tabs on Violet and her family means something a little different for them both.

Piecing together where Violet might be we learn about the lives of all three women and it’s juicy!

But how much sharing is too much? Be careful who you invite into your home..

Well worth the read. One of those books you’ll want to read late into the night.