Cover Image: Unfollow Me

Unfollow Me

Unfortunately this book wasn't for me.  I didn't like the fact that we never got to see or hear the other POV from Violet, and also Lily just seemed worryingly unhinged.  I felt it was slow enough and struggled to hold my interest once I had put it down.

Thank you for the opportunity to read it in exchange for an honest review.
When Violet Young, a hugely popular mummy vlogger and influencer goes off line it sets a buzz amongst her followers. Why has she shut done all her social media accounts? What's happened? Is something wrong with her, her three adorable children or Henry, her perfect magazine publisher husband? What are her addicted fans going to do now they can no longer get their daily fix of Violet?

The mystery unfurls from the point of view of two of Violet's followers. Lily, who has an unhealthy obsession with Violet's online persona, and Yvonne who is harbouring her own secret about Violet's family. This is a deliciously fun and twisty psychological thriller which playfully highlights the dangers of believing all you read on social media.
What I Loved:
Phew! Let’s talk about influencers for a second. They put themselves all over social media, inviting people into their homes and lives virtually and they have no idea who all of these people are. What are their intentions, will they begin stalking you, emailing you, trolling you?

Unfollow Me by Charlotte Duckworth took me by surprise! I loved the plot surrounding one Vlogger’s successful social career and a glimpse into the lives of two of her followers. I was captivated by the story and did NOT want to put this book down.

How I Felt:
So, I wasn’t really convinced that Unfollow Me should land in the “Thriller” genre. I think that the term gets thrown on a lot of books and maybe should not be. BUT, I looked up the actual definition of Thriller and here it is:

"A thriller is a genre of literature, film, and television whose primary feature is that it induces strong feelings of excitement, anxiety, tension, suspense, fear, and other similar emotions in its readers or viewers—in other words, media that thrills the audience."

So guess what…Unfollow Me by Charlotte Duckworth absolutely falls into the Thriller genre! This book managed to elicit three out of the four feelings in the thriller description!

Excitement ✔️
Anxiety ✔️
Suspense ✔️
Fear ❌

Quick overview of My Thoughts:
* Great overall plot and story
* Lots of twists and turns

* I really want to know if one sub-character is going to be okay and did not get that closure
* One character’s parental neglect really bothered me

The Characters: There are 2 female main characters and a variety of supporting people in this book. I didn’t really like any of the main characters and I’m not sure I was supposed to. My feelings did not, however, negatively impact my utter enjoyment of this book.

The characters are well-built with history and experiences that are revealed as the story progresses. I felt like I had one type of feeling towards each person and as the story progressed and I learned more about them, but feelings changed. It was surprise after surprise about each person.

The Writing: I found Unfollow Me to be a well-written story. I was grabbed right from the beginning with an email from a stalker to vlogger Violet Young. I was immediately grabbed by the story and needed to know more! Charlotte Duckworth did an excellent job of weaving a tale of mystery. She wrote in a way that lead the reader in one direction, thinking they knew what was happening, and then she revealed another piece of information, and everything changed. It was a delight to read.

The Plot: Violet Young a celebrity in the mommy-vlogger circles, has just closed all her social media accounts. No notice was given; she’s just gone. The story follows two of her followers as they process the loss of their YouTube vice. Her disappearance consumes them. Where has she gone? What has happened to her? Is she okay?

The two followers take different approaches to find out what happened to her and as they go begin to piece together the events leading up to Violet’s sudden social media disappearance, we, the reader begin to piece together why each of them are invested.

The Ending: This ending was completely unexpected to me. I did not guess one thing until I was given enough information to do so. I was just along for the ride through this entire book and I enjoyed it so much!

Content Warnings: Child harm, stalking, harassing, late-term pregnancy termination, infertility, alcoholism, addiction to social media (that one’s probably not a trigger, but just in case).

Overall: I really enjoyed Unfollow Me. I loved the numerous mysteries to solve and the way this story had me bouncing from one theory to another.

To Read or Not To Read:
If you are looking for a book that will keep you on your toes and keep you guessing at the true story, you will enjoy Follow Me. Don’t go into this book thinking of a thriller in terms of a murderer on the lose. This thriller is focused on suspense, excitement, and secrets! It was completely worth reading!

I was provided an advanced reader’s copy of this book for free. I am leaving my honest, unbiased review voluntarily.
This book was a good thriller. Unfortunately it was very predictable and the main character wasn’t even the main character. There were 2 many pov’s and I didn’t really understand why.

The writing was good, just seemed a little jumpy to me.
Possible trigger warnings: adultery, sexual assault, alcoholism, infertility, death of a child

Based on the summary, I was excited to read this book. It's one of my favorite genres, as well. Sadly, it didn't meet my expectations.

There wasn't as much uniqueness to the story as I'd hoped, and there was a lot of predictability. I was actively engaged for part of the story, but I did see many of the twists coming. The writing is solid, and the characters are well-drawn, for the most part. I also liked the parts on how social media has pulled us in as a society, and how it has a way of inviting the good and bad into our lives. It was just an okay read overall.
Violet is a wife, mom and vlogger. Her life seems perfect as she is showing off her handsome husband, her beautiful children and their expensive toys, her brand clothes and shoes received for commercial purposes. Until one night, when she completely disappears from the online, deleting her blog and YouTube channel and everything.

The story is revealing itself from several POVs: among the many who watch Violet, there are two women obsessed with her that we get PoVs from, plus a PoV from Violet’s husband. Violet does not get a PoV until towards the end, so as to not ruin the mystery.

The characters are all quite crazy and obsessive, but the story flows easily and it makes you curious why the vlogger disappeared so brusquely, so it was an ok read overall.
Thanks to Netgalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review!

CW: stalking, cheating, adultery, sexual assault, victim blaming, alcoholism, fertility problems, death of a child, and harm to a child

Oh, did I want to like this book more. I thought it sounded a little bit like You and Follow Me, so I was super hyped to pick this up. I did read this book in one day. I'm blessed to have a desk job where, while I'm doing my work (aka cleaning up returned things so we can resell them as slightly used), I can read on my phone. So, that's what I did in this case.

The story is, in a sense, about Violet's life. She's a blogger and YouTuber who talks about parenting, having gotten started after having post-partum (or post-natal) depression. She has three children and a husband. But the story barely covers her. She's at the heart of it, but it's more about Lily, a woman with a young son who's obsessed with Violet's life, and Yvonne, a woman who watches Violet's videos and is struggling to get pregnant. Oh, and about Henry.

I found it like most of the other thrillers that are coming out. You have the alcoholic character who is obsessed with someone. Then you have the character that's got some past that ties them all together in a way. It was predictable. While I was definitely hooked for most of the book, I kind of guessed the ending because, well, it's like a lot of thrillers I've read. I'm sure this book is going to be a hit with most readers because it's well-written and the story is interesting, but I found it a bit predictable.

And then the ending? Eh. I can see Duckworth revisiting this story in the future. Again, not a bad thing. I'd even read it if she did. But, just a case of a book that's objectively good but I just found it to be an okay thriller.
Thank you to NetGalley, Charlotte Duckworth and Crooked Lane Books for the free e-book in exchange for an honest review.

I loved this novel! I was addicted right from the beginning and it was really interesting to see a novel that’s finally discussing fertility issues. Being a woman who has now had many miscarriages, it’s really nice to see it written down and see it normalized a little bit so that I didn’t feel so troubled. It was also nice that this book wasn’t totally centered around one person’s issues, but seeing a few different issues that are so opposite from one another. I was totally into this novel and I flew through it. It was super interesting and I loved every minute of it.

Out March 10th
DISCLAIMER! At the last Cons point my frustration is so high that it seems like I am trashing the author. It is NOT my intention, in any way! It's just my frustration showing it's worst and my inability to make myself and my opinion understood.

I know my review comes after more than one month since I finished the book, but I honestly don't know how to start it and how to explain why and what I didn't liked about this book, because I feel like I can't find my words for it. The idea of it, sounded awesome to me, hence this is why I requested this book on NetGalley. The synopsis intrigued me a lot, and mostly because it felt so relatable to our days! So I decided I wanted to read it. And my excitement started to fade after... let's just say around 10 pages into the book. Yup... Just 10 pages into it. It's a shame!
I will just let you my main big CONS about this book, without even losing more time to pick all the other small bad things.

• Misleading synopsis. I may be wrong, but while the synopsis, in big lines, tells you what this book is about, if you pay attention to it after you start to actually read the book, you will see that it was misleading you. Yes, it's about Violet. Yes, you have the perspectives from two of her so-called "biggest fans". Yes, Violet suddenly deletes all her social media accounts. But I think here it stops to lead you on the good way.
• Misleading title?! God... I swear on Jesus's thorns, I just... I mean, when you read " Unfollow me", at what you think? You think that the book is focused on a specific character, right? Violet, here, to be more specific. But! Here comes the big old "but"... BUT! Violet is barely present in the book! You don't really get to know her, or her motives or I don't know what shit you wanna know or you are supposed to know about her! She is more like a ghost.
• Unnecessary character. One of the perspectives is from a young mother who is obsessed with Violet (but hey, who isn't obsessed with her in this book, anyway?!), I don't even remember her name. And, honestly? I really, really feel like she is so God damn unnecessary in this book! She is annoying, and 9 out of 10 words that she is saying, are lies. And, again, I don't see her point in this book. Yes, she did some things that helped a little for the plot, but that's just most of what she did. Beside her unending lies. So, in conclusion, half of the book is just crap!
• The " big" reveal. Don't get me wrong, I am not a heartless human being, but like, really?! This is all you can do?! You just throw this because -SPOILER- it's about a kid and you hope that this will make it for all those 300 pages (I think) of crap and lies and boredom?! I don't even... I mean, it's pure frustration. It feels like this book needed an end and the first thing that you saw on the news you just put it there... Unnecessary and pointless...
I recently found myself enjoying thrillers broaching the subject of social media. Add an unreliable  narrator and a fast paced story around a missing mummy blogger and I'm happy!
I think that the author illustrates how social media closes in on people’s lives. Not only does the blogger invite friendly fans but also dangerous ones. Just a spooky realization about technology today and how it can impact our world
Unfollow Me by Charlotte Duckworth is a very interesting book that I really enjoyed.  This is also my first book by Ms. Duckworth, but it won't be my last.  Violet is a very  popular blogger who has a million subscribers.  One day Violet is no longer on the internet, and her fans are really upset.  This book is like a roller coaster, that you cannot get off of.  Twists and turns around ever corner.  I highly recommend this book.
this was compelling and I really enjoyed the social media aspect to it! it got a little bit repetitive in the end but overall I enjoyed it.
I enjoyed most of this psychological thriller, which was well written and has the interesting plot device of a "mummy blogger" who shuts all her accounts down and disappears. The book is told from a number of points of view: her husband, one of her very dedicated readers, her husbands ex-girlfriend and one or two might pop up later (no spoilers in this review).

The last little bit lets this book down - as I learnt more and more about the characters I liked them less and less, the reveal is soggy, and the epilogue seems unnecessary. It's all a bit neat.

Thanks NetGalley for an e-copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This was an enjoyable book. It was very current with the use of social media and I found it kept my attention. I will be looking out for more by this author.
2 stars

The book dealt with the toxic trait of social media and its consequences over the life of a mom/influencer Violet. When one day Violet's blog/youtube/any social media was gone, he fans and not-so-called fans began wonder where did she went and what happened to her.

Many praise the book as unputdownable but I feel lack in emotions reading it. The writing was alright and the plot was fine. I just couldn't click with it and had to skim a few or more pages to get it somewhere.
Violet Young shares her experiences of postpartum depression and motherhood on social media to a huge audience. When she suddenly deletes all her of online accounts and vanishes, her obsessive  fans lose their minds. Some fans adore, her, some secretly despise her, but all of them are on the hunt to find out where Violet has gone and some will stop at nothing.

Not everything Violet shares about her "oh so perfect" family is completely true, and as the truth is uncovered, so are dark secrets shared by her and her public. The story is told from multiple perspectives....her fans, her husband, and occasionally by Violet herself. All of them realize some hard truths about themselves along the way.

This book is a thrilling roller coaster ride, a cautionary tale about how social media and fans can go too far. While the story at times is a bit over the top, it flows well and is always intriguing and enjoyable, making this a good book to curl up with on a rainy weekend or summer getaway, Enjoy!
This was a quick and easy, but highly entertaining book.  There were a lot of twists and turns that kept me engaged throughout.  It definitely highlighted just how scary the anonymous people online can really be.  I would recommend this one for someone that is looking for good, quick read.
A very timely book about society's obsession with social media influencers. As a retired person I have become much more invested in watching YouTube videos and following Instagram and Twitter accounts by some of my favorite people, places and things. I can see easily how it becomes an obsession to check in daily and see what's new, I do it myself I hate to admit, so this book interested me a great deal.
It's a piece of fiction about just such an obsession, but I'm sure it's not far from the truth. Just imagine having a million people seeing every aspect of your lives played out daily. I can't imagine that so I'm wondering what motivates so many to do it. While this book is about the follower, it would be interesting to have a book from the point of the poster to see why they do it, is it money or notoriety.

Well written with a good plot, very enjoyable.
Unreliable narrators have been all the rage in the thriller market for the last decade and Charlotte Duckworth offers us a smorgasbord of instability in her new novel Unfollow Me. A cautionary tale about the dangers of social media and how interconnectedness can put us in touch with some people we definitely don’t want in our lives, this book takes us down a dark road with some unlikely villains.

Violet, the mother of three young children, turned her battle against Postnatal Depression into a million dollar industry through a series of vlogs, workshops, Instagram posts and a YouTube channel. Her subscribers tune in daily to catch glimpses of her beautiful life, the little pieces of her family she doles out in careful, attractively scripted portions with just the right touch of humility and charm.

When all her social media accounts suddenly disappear without a trace and without any kind of explanation, her devotees become concerned. Violet has been honest about her struggles with depression, about her lack of sleep and how she can feel overwhelmed by it all. Have these issues become too much for her? Or has her stalker, a troll who criticizes her every decision, forced her to delete all her accounts in order to protect her family? Many have never liked her seemingly perfect husband Henry, the kind of guy who seems more of a lady’s man than a dad. Does he have something to do with her disappearance? As all these theories are endlessly analyzed and talked over on mummy discussion boards, Violet’s silence is deafening.

If you’re someone who doesn’t want to read about kids and the struggles of parenting, this novel isn’t for you. The author does an excellent job of immersing the reader in the world of the young mothers and want-to-be mothers of the online mummy communities. The story mostly unfolds through three viewpoints: Lily, a young mother who follows Violet’s vlog religiously; Yvonne, a wannabe mummy; and Henry, Violet’s husband. Ms. Duckworth captures perfectly, through their eyes, the struggle of modern child rearing.

Yvonne and her husband Simon are desperately trying to have a baby. Her mother-in-law blames her for their difficulties with conceiving, and is harshly judgmental about Yvonne having waited so long to have a child. In fact, Yvonne feels all society looks down upon her for not having perfected the art of balancing a career, marriage and family at the proper age. Her desire for a baby is almost painful and her despair and longing leap off the page as we slowly learn just how far she is willing to go to make up for this deficit in her life. Watching Violet’s YouTube channel is a bit of torture for her but following the young woman who has everything in life Yvonne dreamt would be hers - gorgeous home, lovely children, doting, handsome husband - is a compulsion. And yet when Violet goes missing, Yvonne is sincerely worried about her, concerned that something awful has destroyed this seemingly perfect family.

Lily, a single mom with a young toddler, is another person who can’t stop thinking about the missing media sensation. Watching Violet’s videos while sipping (or chugging) a glass of wine (or more) is the highlight of her evening. Lily has had a hard last four years and feels like there is no way out of the pit she is in. She knows her interest in Violet can’t possibly be healthy but she can’t seem to keep herself from clinging to that obsession. She loves her son but she doesn’t love the many challenges he adds to her life. Lily’s clueless about how to fix her own world and realizes this is why she has attached herself to the artificially perfect family she sees on her computer screen. She misses the videos so much she begins to look for Violet in real life, digging up clues about where the family lives, where the children go to school, what parks they play at. She is certain that her genuine concern for the family means this isn’t stalking but researching.

Violet’s family life as depicted on her YouTube channel is fake, something with which her husband Henry is growing increasingly frustrated. The only time Violet is with the children is when she is filming them, otherwise she is endlessly working on her influencer career or busy staging scenes which give the appearance of familial and marital bliss that they just don’t have. He fears the trolls online may become problems in real life and given that they don’t need the money, he doesn’t understand why Violent won’t quit. Henry’s misery over his wife’s career has led him to want something good in his own life, to flash a smile that isn’t just for the cameras and he thinks he’s figured out just what how to do that. He knows it will come with costs, he just has no idea how high the price will be.

There isn’t a great deal of action here since this is very much a character-driven story. The author does an amazing job of slowly unravelling the truth about our three sympathetic narrators until we realize that in fact, these people are not at all who we thought they were. Almost everything I thought I knew about them had to be discarded, and I loved the process of discovering the truth behind the numerous masks Lilly, Henry and Yvonne wear.

One of the highlights of the book is that there aren’t any super creepy, psychotic villains. Many of the things the characters do aren’t that atypical, it’s just when you add them all together that a picture of dysfunction slowly starts to emerge. And they are unethical and immoral rather than criminal, reminding us that harmful actions don’t have to be illegal to be impactful.

The book does contain some elements that might be triggering for some readers. A sexual assault is described, not in detail but definitely with enough clarity so that we know how traumatizing it was for the victim, and several bad/dangerous things happen to children. I’m pretty squeamish when it comes to the latter and I wasn’t triggered but I wanted to warn people up front.

The story’s flow isn’t perfect, with some stops and starts that can cause it to drag at points but these moments are mercifully brief and the pace always picked back up before I grew bored.

Unfollow Me is the first novel I’ve read by Ms. Duckworth but it definitely won’t be the last.  Anyone who enjoys psychological thrillers should definitely give this book a try.

Buy it at: Amazon or shop at your local independent bookstore
Visit our Amazon Storefront