Southwest Medicinal Plants

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 04 Feb 2020

Southwest Medicinal Plants is a tutorial and wildcrafting guide and herbal for regional medicinal plants by John Slattery. Due out 4th Feb 2020 from Timber Press, it's 392 pages and will be available in paperback and ebook formats.

This is an accessible well written herbal guide to over 100 indigenous medicinal plants found in southwest North America, including Arizona, New Mexico, Southern California, Colorado, Nevada, Utah, Oklahoma, and parts of Texas. The author is an experienced wildcrafter and herbalist and writes well and confidently. The nomenclature he uses is precise for clarity, safety, and identification. It's clear in the text that the author really feels a connection to the natural world and his respect and love shine through. The intro covers the widely disparate terrain contained the southwest along with safety and caution, responsible collecting, and wildcrafting through the seasons. Tools and supplies are covered in the text and are (mostly) easily accessible and will be on hand already for most readers or can be sourced at minimal cost. There are simple recipes/guides for different preparation methods as well, such as tinctures, infusions, etc.

The bulk of the book contains an herbal type listing of the plants arranged alphabetically. The plant name is followed by species specifics, medicinal parts used, a descriptive paragraph, wildcrafting tips, where and when to harvest, and other info. Specific recipes are listed in a colored sidebar. Each also contains several clear photos showing different aspects of growth, habit, and seasonal appearance.

Useful book, well written and illustrated. Five stars.
I found this to be an interesting botanical read; I was excited to peruse through this book especially since I was born in Texas and had spent 18 or so years of my life there (and a few years in Southern Oklahoma, and currently 8+ years in Southern California). The flora does greatly vary depending on the type of region you're in, and so many of the species are unassuming at first glance, often second and third glance as well since yes, many of them do look like your regular ol' scraggly weeds and thorny shrubbery.

The beginning section goes over some basics such as the regions of the Southwest United States that spans 8 states, identifying plants in each region throughout each season which I found to be very informative, tools and tips for wildcrafting, and how to make simple medicines. I wouldn't say the wildcrafting and medicine making is very in-depth per se, in fact I wouldn't consider this book to be a very good resource for these topics as they're greatly inconclusive.

Instead, this is a fantastic reference for plant identification in these regions with its many monographs that make up almost the entirety of this book, which includes information on parts of the plant used, how to identify, guidelines on harvesting and wildcrafting, some medicinal uses, some medicinal preparations, and includes some photographs. Some monographs include herb safety warnings as well which I really appreciate.

This is an excellent collection of botanical monographs considering how many are included (112!), which you'll find native to about 1/3 of the United States. Definitely a book you should consider having in your collection if you're in the U.S. and have a serious interest in herbalism.

Thank you to Timber Press for providing me with this eARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review!
This is an excellent resource and I really enjoyed Southwest Medicinal Plants by John Slattery.  He provides a great deal of information on the plants, this book has excellent photos and detailed instructions on how to make and use herbal remedies with the plants contained in this book. I received this book from NetGalley for an honest review
I really enjoyed Southwest Medicinal Plants by John Slattery.  He provides great information on the plants, excellent photos to go with the information, and detailed instructions on how to make and use herbal remedies with these plants.  I will be checking out other guides by him as well.
I received an ARC from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.
I figured I'd love this book, as I have its companion book for my region -- Midwest Medicinal Plants. I reviewed that one last year and loved it so much I asked for it for Christmas. It's one of my all-time favorite foraging/herbal books.

I appreciate that this book is written by a different author, one who is familiar with the plants in his region (Lisa M. Rose wrote the Midwest version). Both books are packed with color photos, good ID information, and information on each plant's medicinal uses. Simple directions for infusions, tinctures, etc. are provided with each plant too. This is a great book for foragers and beginning herbalists to get to know the useful plants that are all around them and learn how to use them for external and internal remedies.

I read a temporary digital ARC of this book for the purpose of review.

Southwest Medicinal Plants combines two big trends: foraging and natural medicine. This comprehensive guide is accessible to everyone, from beginners seeking reliable advice to experienced practitioners on the hunt for new information.

Readers will find plant profiles, colour photographs, step-by-step instructions for essential herbal remedies, and seasonal foraging tips. Southwest Medicinal Plants is for readers in southern California, Arizona, New Mexico, western and central Texas, Oklahoma, southern Colorado, southern Utah, and southern Nevada.

This was an interesting read although I do not live anywhere near the SW United States ... SW Ontario, yes.  LOL. But, I love reading about plants that I might be able to grow and benefit from on a medicinal level. The book is expertly researched and the information presented was interesting to read about and I took so many notes and sent friends who live in that area the information about the book so that they can buy it themselves when it comes out in February.  I am assuming that they are mostly plants for arid areas so I may not be able to grow them on my balcony but I certainly enjoyed reading about them. (Yes, I am a #nerd)

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "Social Influencer Millennials" on Instagram and Twitter) so let's give it 🌱🌱🌱🌱🌱

A side note to the publisher - South-Western STATES should be on the cover: I live in SW Ontario, and I assumed that it would be the USA, but someone in a hurry for a gift might snap it up and then return it in disgust.  (I assumed it was the USA but someone skulking for a gift on Amazon might not.)