Cover Image: The Thorn Girl

The Thorn Girl

Adele was raised by her grandmother in Ireland and, after her death, is cleaning out the attic and discovers her late mother’s diary in a backpack. She is devastated to read the awful story about the rape and death of her mother.  Adele then begins a mission to expose those responsible for her mother's death and bringing them to justice.
This book grabbed me from the start!  The characters were well written and I felt like I was there with Adele on her journey.  Although I did figure out a few twists and turns, I thoroughly enjoyed the book!
Thanks to Laura Elliot, Bookouture and NetGalley for the ARC.
This book deals with a very heart sore and real problem in today's society, namely rape.  It was dealt with a very sensitive manner and well done.  Recommended.
The story starts off slowly with Adele clearing out her grandmother's house after her death and discovering her mom's diary of when she was pregnant with Adele.
This diary shatters Adele's world and leads her back to her mother's hometown to discover the truth about her mother, her death and her own conception and who her father is.
A fast-paced read that you feel you can't put down on one hand and on the other hand you feel you just can't read anymore.
The culmination of the story came like a runaway train - explosive; damaging; fast and left a person surprised.
A great read with a good plot and enough intrigue to keep you hooked.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for allowing me the chance to read this book.
This title was previously released as ‘In my mother’s name’ and tells the harrowing story of an injustice that takes almost 25 years to put right. After Adel’s grandmother dies, she finds a backpack in the attic that belonged to the mother (Marianne) she never knew. The diary within it leads Adel back to her mother’s hometown, and the investigation she pursues into Marianne’s treatment as a 15 year old child causes a can of worms to be opened for high ranking members of the community.
This novel keeps you guessing throughout as it reveals some ugly truths and the lengths people will go to in order to keep their pasts hidden.
Thank you NetGalley for a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

Wow, just wow.   Laura Elliot is absolutely brilliant.   This book was SO AMAZING.
The storyline is unique.      There are some twists.    I honestly couldn't stop reading.
The main character is so strong.

Every book by this author impresses me, and this was no different.
Grabbed me in from the first pages.A domestic thriller with characters that come alive a story that is so chilling so tense.This is a five star read highly recommend.#betgalley#bookoutture.
This was a compelling read on a really unusual subject. Adele has always wondered about her mother who died giving birth to her. Her Grandmother brought her up but following her death, Adele finds a rucksack and her mother’s diary, which suggests the story she has been told may not be the truth. What unfolds is a story of a cult, baby trafficking and a huge web of lies and deceit which gradually unravels, revealing the truth and a huge discovery for Adele.
I very much enjoyed this book, it was an excellent read.
4-5 stars!  I think Elliott is one of those writers of thrillers that really makes sure to nail what readers are wanting!  You will surely be covered in goosebumps by chills, gasping in shock, and thrilled to no end!  She makes sure to make the suspense so tight it comes into the house of the reader!  Loved that this book brought on so many different emotions!  Grab today and get started right away, this is one you don’t want to miss!
Will make sure to buzz it up!
Wow where to start this is one if the most compelling books I’ve read in quite a while!   It all starts when, after her grandmother’s death, Adele is clearing out the attic and she finds her deceased mother’s secret diary in a backpack and in it her mother details a horrific crime committed against her 25 years ago leaving Adele so appalled she makes the decision to go to Reedstown, the last place her mother was seen alive! When she arrives she is met with hostility every where she turns and the villagers go to extraordinary lengths to keep the truth buried!!!
The Thorn Girl is an absolutely heartbreaking, sinister tale so beautifully written that it will stay with you long after after you’ve finished the last page!!!!

Thank you to NetGalley, Bookouture and Laura Elliot for the arc of The Thorn Girl, my review is honest and unbiased.
Adele has always wondered about the woman who gave birth to her and died doing so. when her grandmother passes and she needs to clean out the house, she stumbles across a backpack hidden in the attic and it contains a diary written be her mother Marianne. With tears in her eyes,
Adele turns the pages and reads about the attack on her mother and the injustices against her. Adele is consumed by this new discovery and puts her new life with her fiancé on hold in order to uncover the crimes of the past and those involved. But when Adele travels to her mother’s hometown, she is not offered a warm welcome. Much the opposite, she is threatened and in fear for her life after she starts a blog and publishes pages from her mother’s past,
opening up old wounds and bringing past crimes into the light. Adele’s arrival has stirred this small town and no one will be the same as once all the secrets are revealed!
This was a very enjoyable book! I even felt bad for some of the perpetrators of the crimes. The ending was great in tying up all loose ends and bringing happiness to those who deserved it most! Thank you Netgalley and Bookouture for the ARC in exchange for my honest review!
This novel follows a tried and tested formula.

A discarded rucksack and diary are found during an attic clear-out.  The finder reads it and realises it belongs to her mother who died in childbirth.  Finder returns to small village/town to find out more about the family and is treated with hostility by the population.
Whilst the formula is maybe tried and tested what follows is a well put together thriller.
The novel begins with a gang rape which some may find disturbing. Whilst the reader does not witness the actual rape, you know it happens and you know that Adele, the person clearing out her grandmother’s attic, is the outcome of the rape.

When she returns to the small community where her grandmother lived determined to unlock the secrets of her mother’s death, there are many in the village who want the secrets to remain locked and will do anything to keep it that way.

Adele is a fantastic character.  You cry with her and cheer with her.  She is resourceful and intelligent and not at all ditsy.  You really do cheer for her at the end.

Easy 5 stars *****
Adele returns to Ireland to clear out her late grandmothers attic.There she finds her mother Marianne’s secret diary which includes what happened up to Adele being born.
Adele decides to go back to her mother’s home town and to find out what happened and get justice for her mother. But it’s not going to be easy she gets a very hostile reception as they want the truth to stay buried.
Fantastic read
Thanks NetGalley
A gripping domestic thriller.  Adele finds a diary hidden by her now deceased Grandmother which sends her on an emotional and terrifying journey to find out the truth of what happened to her mother.  So many secrets and horror lie in the history of this little town in Ireland.  Soon characters from all walks of life are involved.  A really tense and unique story. I really enjoyed it.
This book is FANTASTIC! Felt like a real epic tale and I could not put the book down.
Set in Ireland, Adele is clearing out her late grandmother's attic when she comes upon a diary that will turn her world upside down as she researches exactly what did happen to her teenage mother in the House of Atonement all those years ago.
This is fast paced and based around the complexity of lies when corruption in a small town is rife. Those with power will do anything to stop the truth from getting out  and it is heartbreaking to discover what crimes and abuse were hidden to protect those with the money to avoid scrutiny, whilst destroying the lives of some very vulnerable girls.
The characters are great. Besides Adele there is Sergeant Rachel Darcy, the newspaper editor Bob Molloy, Liam Thornton, Keith and Christy Lewis, Sergeant Bale and Davina Lewis. Most of the characters are out for themselves, with no conscience and in many cases unafraid to bend the law to their own will. This means there are many characters to dislike intensely which makes Adele's fight for justice even more compelling.
It isn't all doom and gloom though as there is a hope and a beauty in the fragility of relationships and there is a happy ending!
I would highly recommend this book to others.
As a young woman gathers the odds and ends of her life growing up with her grandmother, she finds that the circumstance of her birth is not what she had always thought.  Laura Elliot gives us a community of secrets where a young woman's life is judged and her nightmarish consequences covered up by her death.  A uniquely written story where nothing is what it seems and your best option is to forget the past while you still can.  Pay close attention or you'll miss the best clues....
In her grandmothers attic Adele Foyle stumbles across the secret diary of the mother she never met, and a shocking account of a crime committed over twenty-five years ago.

With her mother’s words etched in her mind she has one purpose: to find those who carried out the devastating attack on her mother.

An addictive emotionally charged read that I devoured in one sitting!!

deceit, corruption , conspiracies, suspense, heartbreak, justice and a whole lot more!
An excellent domestic thriller that stays with you long past your bedtime. Incredibly well depicted characters.  Kudos to the writer!
OMG! WOW! I have not read Laura Elliot before so what an introduction! If THE THORN GIRL is anything to go by, I'll be looking to devouring her others!

THE THORN GIRL is a powerful story and, while it is marketed as a Mystery/Thriller, it is so much more than a suspense. It is indeed chilling and rather disturbing in parts but it was above all, a brilliant masterpiece.

It all begins with a swallow in the attic. Like a butterfly in the forest, are they just all random events or is everything connected?

Adele Foyle has returned to Ireland to clear out her late grandmother's house. Finding herself in the attic, the final room to be cleared, she stumbles upon a lifetime of memories...and a swallow fighting for freedom. It is there she comes across and old backpack with a secret diary written by her mother, who died in childbirth 24 years ago. But as Adele turns the pages, nothing could prepare her for what she is about to discover.

Marianne Mooney was 15 years old and living in Reedstown with her mother Rosemary. She and her boy friend, Shane Reagan, used to meet in a old abandoned cottage to spend some time sitting and dreaming together. But one night Shane was late leaving home...and Marianne, upon hearing the cracking of twigs and footsteps approaching, delighted in what she thought was Shane's arrival. She ran to the door in anticipation...but was met with something far more sinister. Three hooded figures wearing balaclavas pushed their way in and threw her to the floor...with Marianne powerless to stop them. Three hooded figures, faceless and fearless, took their turn with her before leaving Marianne a frightened huddled mess...which was how Shane found her, bloodied and crying.

When they reported the gang rape to the Gardai, the Sergeant dismissed her claims and throwing Shane into a cell, then forced a statement from Marianne to the contrary of what had actually taken place. She never saw Shane again.

Marianne was sent to Dublin to the Thorn House of Atonement, a mother and baby home run by the respected Gloria Thornton who was something of a martyr to a near cult-like group of believers. Conditions in the House of Atonement were nothing like the public were lead to believe. In the vein of the infamous Magdalene Laundries of decades before, the girls were forced to work tirelessly at the behest of Mother Gloria. They were shamed and thrown into "the Tank" in solitary confinement for even a slight indignity. And when it was time to give birth, their babies were snatched from them almost immediately - not even allowed to hold them, nurse them or even to see had they been a boy or a girl. Some were even told their babies had died when in fact an even greater disgrace was taking place...and the girls sent on their way.

But in Marianne's case, her baby came early...and she succumbed to the massive blood loss...leaving Adele without her mother and in the care of her grandmother Noreen.

As Adele read the shame, the pain and the heartbreak in Marianne's diary, she endeavoured to journey to Reedstown - where her mother grew up - and seek out the truth of what really happened hoping to uncover clues about the tragic event. Who were those hooded figures Marianne called the "three blind mice"? Who was her father? And why was there no investigation into her mother's horrific gang-rape?

However, upon her return, she finds that her mother and grandmother are instantly vilified and denounced shamelessly. But Adele will not let that deter her. Determined to have the truth uncovered, she publishes excerpts of her mother's diary online...which are both believed and discredited alike. She soon realised that many townsfolk are not at all happy about her investigation and they attempt to put and end to it.

Money makes the world go round...but it is enough to keep the truth hidden?

But Adele is resourceful...and determined. She will not rest until she discovers the truth. But the townsfolk are just as determined. The lengths with which they are willing to go to ensure the truth remains buried is staggering. And it seems the deeper Adele digs, the worse things become for her. Until she is forced to abandoned her investigation.

THE THORN GIRL is a heartbreaking, disturbing but incredibly fast-moving story. Once I began, I did not want to put it down! It was truly a captivating read that was both sensitive and sinister shrouded with a darkness that despite the circumstances, highlighted the heartbreaking plight of an innocent young girl whose own daughter sought the justice that was truly deserving - all in her mother's name.

What I really loved about THE THORN GIRL was the many facets of the story that were woven together throughout the various perspectives...including Marianne's diary, which gave the 15 year old a voice when she had none. The different narratives are easy to follow in which we witness differing perspectives of the same story...including their beliefs and personal feelings on the matter...some of which are almost indifferent, bordering ignorance.

There is so much more to this book than I could ever say! Your heart will ache for Adele as she searches for the truth about what really happened to her mother, to the point of putting her own life in danger. THE THORN GIRL delivers us an unrestrained story of secrets, lies and deception so toxic that have gripped an entire community for decades. But Adele will stop at nothing in her quest for justice for Marianne.

A taut and compelling tale, THE THORN GIRL is beautiful, heartbreaking, emotional, menacing, sinister, intriguing, thrilling, dark and disturbing. And yet it is still so much more. A riveting tale of secrets and lies...and a sinister tale of psychological manipulation that ended with a beautifully wrapped up finale.

What more can I say? Go out, grab yourself a copy, read it! You know you want to! You won't be disappointed!

THE THORN GIRL was previously published as "In My Mother's Name" .

I would like to thank #LauraElliot, #NetGalley and #Bookouture for an ARC of #TheThornGirl in exchange for an honest review.
Adele never knew her mother, she was brought up by her grandmother in Ireland.  She has settled into a good job in London & has a loving boyfriend. Over the last few months she has been backwards & forwards to Ireland as her grandmother slowly dies. When clearing the last things out of the house where she grew up she comes across an old rucksack. Inside is a diary that belonged to Marianne, her mother. To her horror she discovers that she is the result of her mother being gang-raped at the age of fifteen! She reads of her mother's experiences at a mother & baby home, run by a religious sect calling themselves The Thorns'.

Adele goes back to the town mentioned in the diary, hoping to find the truth of these horrific experiences. She soon discovers that there are still those who remember very clearly what happened to Marianne and they have no intention of them becoming public knowledge.

This was a terrific read. Everyone has heard of the dreadful stories of the Magdalene Laundries & how they treated young girls, so this was not entirely unknown territory although the sect gave it a slightly different slant. I really enjoyed this one. Thanks to Netgalley & the publishers for letting me read & review this book.
Adele had everything ready to leave the house where she had lived with her grandmother. She wanted to finish as soon as possible and close this chapter of her life that didn’t bring her very good memories, when something suddenly caught her attention. Of all the things that could have been, she never imagined that she would find some personal effects that had belonged to her mother and among them, her diary.

Marianne in her diary records events that occurred 24 years ago, in which was the worst time of her life. A heart-rending, detailed story with details of the places and people involved and radically changing Adele’s life.

Her grandmother barely mentioned her, no matter how many questions Adele asked her about her mother until one day she stopped asking. She thought that for her grandmother this was too painful a subject, nothing to do with what she read in the diary.

Filled with doubts about the family past and tired of lies Adele moves to Reedstown to investigate the facts told by her mother. She believes that a great injustice has been done and the time has come to bring everything to light and to repair the evil.

The Thorn Girl is a story of abuse, secrets, blackmail but there is also room for love. A very emotional, complex novel that is revealed little by little as we read. Featuring a wide range of characters and sub-plots occurring parallel to the main story.

At first it seemed a little slow. I had the feeling that I wasn’t going anywhere and I had a little trouble keeping up with so many characters that were emerging and with which I did not see very clear the connection. But little by little everything fits together and taking its place as a perfect cog.

The first impression Adele gave me was that of the typical capricious and obsessed woman capable of rewriting story as long as it matches her ideas or desires. Then I realized how wrong I was to judge her like that.
It is a very well-created character that transmits to the reader her feelings in every momento from joy to despair and helplessness. Adele is a courageous woman, with a great capacity for adaptation and who believes in herself despite having everything against her.

The Thorn Girl is unpredictable. You know how it starts, but you don’t know how it ends, and that’s something I’ve really enjoyed. With each twist of the story, everything gets much more complicated. I wasn’t able to foresee many of the most important things that took place especially in the denouement.

A compelling read with plenty of small details that requires quite a lot of attention from the reader and does not disappoint. Highly recommended.