Cover Image: The Thorn Girl

The Thorn Girl

First, I want to thank Laura Elliot, Bookouture and NetGalley for providing me with this book so I may bring you this review.

Laura Elliot definitely brings you a totally addictive and emotional psychological thriller in her latest book In My Mother’s Name. Laura Elliott has to be commended for her incredibly, powerful, mind-blowing storytelling in this book! Her storyline was so incredibly intense and very suspenseful. Not to mention some of the subject matter was shocking that you couldn’t help but feel empathetic for the characters. This is one book that will stick with you for a long time after. Not to mention this must be made into a Netflix Original! It would do amazingly well!

I absolutely loved this book for so many reasons. However, this book does bring up topics that may trigger some past bad experiences in readers. Therefore, this book may not be for everyone. This book brings up the topic of rape and gang rape, a cult, bullying, etc.

I fell instantly in love with this beautiful cover even before I knew what this book was about. I love Butterflies as they have a sentimental meaning to me. So, when I saw it and how it was placed on the cover, I just knew I needed to know more. Kudos to the graphic designer for catching my eye.

If you love psychological thrillers like I do then you are in for a treat!! Laura threw everything in this book!! Tons of deep secrets from the past, lies that have been told, incredibly interesting investigation that blew me away, some characters you will love to hate, and an ending you won’t see coming!

My heart ached for Adele for all she wanted was to get answers on her Mom Marianne. So many hateful roadblocks along the way to get the answers she so desperately wanted.

One thing I loved about the book Laura wrote in Marianne’s Diaries into the book. We as readers were able along with her daughter Laura learn more about her. It gave us a more personal feel of what she was going through rather than the terrible things that were being said about her.

This book is dedicated to Sean the love of Laura’s life. She wants to thank him for all the golden years.
I enjoyed this book. It was very well written and well thought out. The ending was fantastic. We follow Adele from the death of her Grandmother through finding her mothers diary and all the way back to the place she was born. Her whole life nothing is as she was told, now she has the chance to delve into her past but the things she finds can change her life forever, or cost her her life.
Suspenseful from start to finish, i recommend this book.
The only reason it lost a star from me is i found there were to many many characters and their roles were not always necessary, it was a lot to follow and it took away from the story a little bit.
The premise of this book is promising and it deals with a sensitive and sad issues.

It deals with Adele's journey to know how her mother died all those years ago.
Her grandmother refuses to talk, and after her death Adele  discovers her mother's diary.
What she found there was so heartbreaking and she sets on a dangerous journey seeking justice for her mother.

I mentioned earlier in my review that the premise was promising, however the execution lacked in my opinion. Although I see that fellow reviewers liked it, so it's a matter of personal taste.
There were many side characters and it was hard to keep track of who is who, also the pace seemed too slow for my taste. Also unfortunately I wasn't really surprised by the ending.
However, I really applaud the author for gracefully tackling a rather sensitive subject matter.

Thanks Netgalley, the publisher and author for an ARC in exchange for an honest opinion.
This book focussed on Adele and her journey to discover the truth surrounding her birth. It takes on a sensitive subject matter, which I applaud the author for being brave enough to do. Due to this it was uncomfortable reading at certain points during the book.
I did like the character of Adele and her determination to get to the truth regarding past events.
Unfortunately though, I was left feeling underwhelmed by this book. The premise of the story was set up well, but I really felt whole thing lacked any pace and could have ended about 50 pages earlier than it did. There were a lot of characters to keep track of which became confused at times. There was no big twist that I didn’t see coming.
Sadly, this one is not for me, but thank you to @netgallery and @bookouture for this advanced copy to review
Wow! What’s the heck happened??? I really enjoyed reading this book and it was soooo good!
Loved that they had kind of secrets and a few lies...

Thanks to Netgalley for Laura Elliot, Bookouture, and Publishers..A exchange honest review
Having read several of this author’s books I was looking forward to this one and it doesn’t disappoint.

Adele’s mum Marianne passed away when Adele was born. All of her life she has been asking questions with regard to her mum but her grandmother wouldn’t talk about her. When Adele’s grandmother dies, she comes across her mum’s diary which details the last months of her life. What Adele discovers sends her into a tailspin and she is determined to seek justice for her mum.

As Adele takes up residence in Marianne’s old home town, she is determined to gather information regarding the past but she is thwarted at every turn so she decides to put segments of the diary on social media and sets the cat amongst the pigeons.

A gripping heartbreaking read which had me hooked from the start and kept me reading well into the night. I would recommend this book.
Although this book has many five star ratings, I found I didn’t particularly enjoy it. Of course it is focusing on a very sensitive subject but I just found the book totally lacked pace. There were a lot of characters to deal with and I felt it could have concluded much earlier.

Thank you to NetGalley, Bookouture and the author for the chance to review.
I very much enjoyed but very sad how Adele finds out is heart breaking  once you start you wont want to stop to find out very gripping a must read book
I’ve just finished this and loved every bit of it.
While Adele is clearing out the attic of her Grandma’s house following her death, she comes across a backpack hidden in the rafters. The backpack contains items which belonged to Adele’s mother who died shortly after giving birth to her. The discovery of this backpack leads Adele on a journey which will turn not only her world upside down.
Laura has once again written a book which kept me wanting to read so much I struggled to put it down.
As Adele searches for the truth behind what happened to her mother, she returns to Reedstown where her mother was from originally and there discovers the lengths people will go to to protect themselves..
I would highly recommend this book
I really enjoyed this book which tells the story of Adel's determination to find out the truth about her mother who suffered an unimaginable event in her life. Adel had her mother taken from her shortly after her birth and when she is clearing her deceased grandmothers house she finds a diary which tells of a violent sexual attack. Although Adel is preparing to leave for the US with her fiance she she is consumed with the need to uncover the truth of what happened, all those years ago in the sleepy Irish village.
An emotional read. It is easy to forget that this story is fiction as it will be relatable to many on a number of different levels.
This book was fast paced. Hard to put down. It flowed well and it was very well written. It caught hold of me and had me hooked from the start . I was literally on the edge of my seat reading this book.
A very well written novel, dealing with harrowing themes with care and compassion. I was hooked from page one and couldn’t put  it down.
A gripping, intense book that kept me turning the pages. I liked the the way the tension built slowly and the screws tightened on the culprits. It was well written and held my interest from start to finish.
I got a free advance readers’ copy in exchange for my honest review.

I have heard enough to know that rape can be devastating. Gang rape is something that I think would be even worse. And the consequences of rape can last a lifetime.

In In My Mother’s Name, Laura Elliot shows how devastating the consequences of this can be. Adele Foyle is cleaning out her maternal grandmother’s home when she stumbles across an old diary. It belonged to her mother, Marianne, who died giving birth to her as a teenager. Adele never got the details of her mother’s life from her grandmother, Noreen, and is thrilled when she finds the diary, hoping to read about the love story between her mother and boyfriend, Shane which led to her birth. However, she finds out the truth about what led to her birth. Her mother was gang raped. Horrified, she returns to Reedstown, the town her mother grew up in, hoping to find clues about the tragic events. She soon realizes that a lot of townspeople are not pleased about her investigation and are determined to put an end to it.

I empathized with Adele throughout this story. To find out something so disturbing about yourself must be horrifying. To make matters worse, upon her return to Reedstown, her mother and grandmother are instantly vilified. When news breaks about her mother’s diary and what it contains, they instantly discredit its contents. I would have felt so alone and confused in that situation. However, what I admired most about Adele was her determination to find out the truth, no matter what it cost her.

The lengths the townspeople were willing to go to to ensure that the truth stayed buried was amazing. The fanaticism that existed long after the Thorns, a religious group founded within the town, was disbanded was fascinating to read about. No matter what, cults will continue to exist because there are weak minds everywhere.

When Adele found what she was looking for, I realized there was still a lot of the book to go. I started to get worried that the author was just gonna use a lot of unnecessary filler at the end. However, she was able to fit in even more surprises which led to a thrilling end.

The only wrong thing I noticed was a passage which was placed twice in the book. I suspect the second time may have been a typo and I hope that would have been corrected before the book is published. There were also some terms I did not understand but that was just because the events within the book happened in Ireland so a lot of Irish slang was used.

There were a lot of references to violence, both sexual and otherwise. The Mother and Baby Home also had some disturbing scenes. There was some minor profanity. This is a book for adults mainly. If you enjoy thrillers and mysteries, this book is definitely for you.
Brilliant. A really emotional read. So many babies were taken from their unmarried mothers in Ireland. So many lies were told. This is a powerful book about this incredibly painful part of recent history.

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy.
This  book is a slow burner. However, once you get into it, it a powerful emotional rollercoaster.

Adele is clearing out her Grandmothers attic following her death. Adele was raised by her following her mother’s death when she was born. Hidden in the eaves is a backpack containing her mother’s Journal. It details her conception. More traumatic is how she was taken to a mother and baby home in her Native Ireland.

Adele then moves back to her mothers home village to discover what happened twenty five years ago.

Lots of suspects and twists in a well written book.
Thanks Netgalley and the Publisher.  What a powerful read this was.  and I can just imagine this sort of thing happening in Ireland.  Worthy 5 stars
This book is one of my favorites of the year. I finished it in two days. I could not put this book down. This book has so many twists and turns. This book starts with Adele cleaning out Her grand mothers attic after he passing. While cleaning up she finds a backpack with a diary. This diary belonged to Marianne her mother who died during childbirth. She starts to read her mothers diary and finds out her mom was gang rapped which lead to her pregnancy with Adele. Adele starts her mission to find out who her father is and to bring justice to her mother.

This book keeps you guessing and keeps you so hooked on the story.
I now want to read all of Laura Elliots books.

Stop whatever you are doing and pick up a copy of this book. You will not be disappointed.
This was an interesting book , I love the start and I thought it had real promise but I nearly gave up in the middle of the book as it was obvious who the culprits were but I stuck with it and I was surprised it had quite a good ending . It wasn’t my favourite book of hers but it was still worth reading