Cover Image: The Silent Victim: An absolutely gripping crime thriller (A Jessie Tucker Mystery Book 1)

I really enjoyed this book, it had my attention from the very start and have to say I can’t wait for the next in the series.
Lots of twists and turns, I was hooked from the start,  thought how she used her own attack to get to her conclusion was very clever, I definitely did not see that ending coming , great story thank you
Review featured at www.books-n-kisses.com

3.5 Hearts This is a new series about Jessie Tucker who is a crime reporter after being attacked years ago she wants to get justice for those that attack others. She clamps on to the murder file of Margaret Kincaid which has similar details to her own attack so she goes out on her own to find out what happened to Margaret.

I liked Jessie even though there are a few times I wanted to roll my eyes at her. And just like shows on tv somehow the copus can not solve it but a reporter can just doesn’t always work for me.

There are a few sex scenes that ar3e explicit and make me think they were thrown in for erotica value when it really wasn’t needed.

As with any first in a series there is a lot just to get to know the characters. I will give the next in the series to try to see if there is more depth to the story.

Disclaimer:
I received a complimentary copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.
This is my first book from Dana Perry and I am so happy that I was able to read it! Creepy but also suspenseful, which is a great combination. I can’t wait for the rest of the series!
Jessica Tucker is attacked 12 years ago and left for dead. 12 years later Margaret Kincaid is attacked and killed.,The police shout the man who they say attacked Margaret .
Jessica is now a reporter and she doesn’t think thing add up with this case so she decides to dig a little deeper to see what she can uncover. But while digging she unearths lots of secrets important people don’t want coming out. There is definitely lots of twists & turns in this book.
Great read
Thanks NetGalley
The Silent Victim is a story about Jessie Tucker, a crime reporter that was attacked and left for dead in Central Park twelve years ago while walking alone after a concert. While still trying to overcome her trauma, another woman is found in Central Park dead.  Just before she’s found, it’s revealed a disturbing call that forced her to leave a restaurant and walk through Central Park alone.  Was she meeting someone? Why did she leave her date without a second thought? The similarities in the case are too much of a coincidence for Jessie to ignore.  When she begins looking into Margaret Kincaid’s death, she realizes something isn’t right. It’s the same M.O. as her attack, but the man that attacked her was killed in prison, not to mention the man accused of killing Margaret Kincaid was gunned down by police closing the case indefinitely.  Since her attack, Jessie is a semi-celebrity and decides to use her connections with the local politicians and law enforcement to help solve the murder.

The Silent Victim had all the elements of a good mystery/thriller political scandal, a hot guy who comes out of nowhere, and plenty of juicy secrets.  The protagonist, Jessie, is a very likable character, albeit a little feisty and snarky. It’s refreshing to have a crime reporter as the main character, as we can see of the role that the media places in high profile cases.  Jessie does a lot of footwork journalism, which I enjoyed.  Everything these days is social media-driven with little to no face to face interactions. I like the fact that Jessie didn’t portray a helpless victim.  She was a woman that suffered a traumatic event and didn’t let that define who she was or how she did her job.
I did feel like there was a lack of character development.  There is a pretty good twist halfway through that changed the pace of the story.  I would have liked to have seen more of a backstory on Jessie and what she was like before her attack.  Luckily, The Silent Victim is book one in the Jessie Tucker series, so this will enable us to get to know the character as time goes on.  The Silent Victim is an easy read and well-written debut novel by Dana Perry.
I’m looking forward to the next installment in this series.

Thank you Bookouture and NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for my honest review.
This book will definitely make you think.
After a trauma, many people retreat to the safety of their homes and stay there.  Jessie Tucker has returned to work and allows little of her anxiety to show.  When asked to cover a young woman's murder as part of her journalist job, she recognized how the killer staged the victim because her attacker staged her the same way and left her, thinking she was dead.  But the police caught her attacker...maybe.
This was a great read.  Dana Perry makes Jessie Tucker human by showing the emotions and the courage it takes for her just to go outside and now she thinks her attacker may still be loose.  I stay home and lock all 12 bolts on the door!!  Lots of good mystery as the author builds the tension until you try peeking at the next page to see if he gets caught.  Read the book....
This is a story about Jessie who was brutally attacked and left for dead.
After months of hard work learning to walk again she became a crime reporter for the Tribune.

Her worst nightmare has happened again......12 years after her own attack. Jessie is determined to find out the truth about her attack and the attack she is now covering for her job.

Was the right man put in prison for her attack? Or, was he falsely accused and the real monster is still out there hurting other women?

This was a great, fast read. You won't want to put this one down.
It was a very insightful novel, with a strong cast of characters. I enjoyed the story line very much and would definitely recommend this book.
Definitely kept me guessing! Every time I thought I figured it out there was another twist. I was stunned by the ending and loved that!! Not many books can do that for me. I'll be looking for the next book in the series.
This was a decent story but the writing felt a bit stiff/forced at times. An example: the narrator, Jessie, realizes her attacker had on a New York Yankee baseball cap when she was attacked. After saying the full item one time a switch to Yankees cap would have sounded much more natural but never happened.

The New York Yankee baseball cap ironically is the item that makes Jessie revisit her attack and determine that something isn’t right because it must be the same killer if he’s also wearing a New York Yankee baseball cap?? Granted the character does mention that numerous people wear them so she realizes it’s a bit foolish sounding.

There were some decent twists. I didn’t care for the final one and thought it detracted from the story a bit, just too much.

This review sounds very critical and I apologize for that because I really enjoyed it much more than it sounds. I think the series has a lot of potential and for a debut it was quite entertaining.

Thanks to NetGalley, the author and Bookouture for a copy in exchange for a review.
A Chilling new series you won't want to miss ! This is one of those unputdownable books that you don't want to end ! A mesmerizing horrifying thriller !! Thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for the opportunity to read and review this book ! #Netgalley #Bookouture #TheSilentVictim
First off, having a reporter as the protagonist makes this crime thriller different from most others (at least those that have detectives or law enforcement as the investigators). Those are great, too, but it was as refreshing to have a different perspective on the investigation. Jessie’s personal history also provided fodder for her research. There were a few red herrings and dropped clues (I don’t like loose ends) but all in all, it was a good story and an excellent first entry in a new series. For more thoughts, please visit my blog at Fireflies and Free Kicks Fiction Reviews. Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for a digital ARC of this book.
Ooh, a great start to a brilliant new series!   Jessie Tucker,  a crime reporter is stunned when a violent murder victim has the same injuries as a crime years ago -when Jessie was the victim.  Can you imagine the chills and thrills in this story- you feel them all as the police had convicted someone for Jessie’s attack - who was dead as nails. .  Off we go, in a really fast paced thriller with red herrings, ups and downs and above all, a gripping story you can’t wait to finish - in a good way.  Excellent!
Jessie Tucker is a crime reporter for the New York Tribune, but she reports from the victims point of view. This isn’t the job that she always had. Twelve years earlier Jessie had been out and decided to cross Central Park on her own. She was brutally attacked and left for dead. After months in hospital recovering the only physical sign now is a slight limp, which she occasionally has to use a cane for, but she refuses to use it when she is working. Jessie’s attacker had been identified as Darryl Jackson, he was sent to prison and had been killed there.

Jessie is called by Danny Knowlton, her editor, asking her to get to Central Park where a 29 year old woman has been attacked in Central Park, she wasn’t as fortunate as Jessie, she was found dead. Margaret Kincaid was an aide to Senator Frank Lansdale, why was she crossing Central Park alone at night.? The  police had found the person they believed responsible for Margaret’s death, a petty criminal, he had been killed when he had pulled a gun. Case closed.

For Jessie everything seems a little too neat and tidy, Margaret had been seeing the Senators son, Johnathon ,she had been out with him that night at a restaurant, seeming distressed but he hadn’t known what about, she had gone to the ladies room leaving him at the table. She was next seen fleeing the restaurant on the telephone, and in tears by the doorman, he had enquired if she wanted a cab, but she had continued running across the road waving her hand in dismissal, that was the last time Margaret was seen alive. What was she upset about? Who was she talking to on the phone?

Non of it made sense to Jessie, she feels there is more to this case than meets the eye. She thinks the police got it wrong, and the attack on Margaret is too much like her attack to be a coincidence. Some of her work colleagues think she has gone mad. But Jessie isn’t deterred, she is determined to get to the bottom of what happened. She begins to feel less and less secure herself, as she digs deeper. She is like a dog with a bone. When Margaret’s brother arrives from California the case becomes even more complex.

Jessie is a great character, she is strong and feisty, likeable and relatable, and she works to get the truth no matter what. The author has created some great characters in this novel, that I can’t wait to see more of and learn more about. This story is very complex with a lot of different directions involved in the crime. You think you know who the killer is but then at the end wrong. Trust no one.

My only small criticism is some of the description and dialogue was too long, and didn’t add to the story and by removing it it wouldn’t have been missed. But I look forward to seeing more of Jessie and the other characters as the series progresses. A great debut novel, well plotted, a good pace, keeps your attention, great characters. Everything you want in a novel.

I would like to thank #netgalley and #Bookouture for an eARC of this book in exchange for an honest, fair and unbiased review.
Twelve years ago Jessie Tucker was attacked in Central Park and left for dead. She slowly battled her way back to health and saw her attacker put behind bars. In the present day, another woman is attacked in a strikingly similar incident but is not so lucky. A murder investigation is launched and quickly concluded with a shoot out with the suspect.
Jessie is now a journalist and the new crime makes her consider her own attack; she realises that there may be a connection and the conviction in her case unsound.
The first person narrative of Jessie in The Silent Victim is simply brilliant. Chatty at times and painful with the trauma of her past. Her emotional journey sweeps us up in her story, both past and present. She is feisty, tenacious and determined professionally but also vulnerable in her personal life.
The plot is fast paced and full of political intrigue and revelations. The ending in particular had major twists so just as I thought Jessie had found answers we find our thoughts upended.
Author Dana Perry has cleverly used her character to drive the plot in a personable way, making this so much more than just a crime thriller. The tension builds over the course of the book and I found myself reading faster and faster to reach the shocking conclusion.
If there's one thing that I like doing, it's discovering new authors.  Dana Perry is definitely a new author for me but after having enjoyed reading 'The Silent Victim' as much as I did, I will most definitely be reading more of his work in the future.  I thoroughly enjoyed reading 'The Silent Victim' but more about that in a bit.
I couldn't help but take to Jessie Tucker from the first time I met her. She now works as a crime reporter for a newspaper but she used to work for an advertising agency.  Not so very long ago Jessie went through the worst kind of trauma you could possibly go through when she was attacked and left for dead in the local park.  Jessie miraculously survived the attack although she hasn't been able to go back to how she used to be.  The physical scars may have healed as well as they could but the mental scars are still there.  When she hears of another lady being attacked, Jessie cannot help but take an interest in the case.  She is a reporter after all and she investigates the case.  She can often get information that the police could only dream about.  Jessie is one tough cookie but then she has had to be.  She is driven, tenacious, determined, stubborn, kind, compassionate and sensitive.
Oh my word, I was addicted to this book from the moment I read the synopsis alone.  As soon as I started to read, I just knew that I wouldn't be able to put the book down.  That's exactly what happened.  The book wasn't exactly glued to my hand but it might as well have been because it travelled everywhere with me.  The book had developed a hold over me and it was a hold that I wasn't willing to break.  I thought that if I put the book down for any reason,  I might miss some vital clue or some vital information.  The more of the book I read, the more of the book I wanted to read and the quicker the pages seemed to be turning.  The pages turned increasingly quickly as my desperation to find out how the story concluded steadily grew and grew.  All too quickly I reached the end of this book which I was disappointed about.  I don't mean that to sound negative but I was enjoying the author's writing style, the storylines and the characters so much that I just didn't want the book to end.
'The Silent Victim' is superbly written.  Dana has a writing style that is easy to get used to and easy to get along with.  Dana certainly knows how to grab your attention from the start and then takes you on one hell of a rollercoaster ride as you accompany Jessie on her journey and assist in her investigation.  Yes I know it's fictional but I find that if I enjoy reading a book as much as I enjoyed reading 'The Silent Victim' then I tend to 'live' the story as if it were real and the characters seem just as real as me and you.  Dana writes so realistically and uses such vivid descriptions that I really did feel as though I was part of the story myself.
Reading 'The Silent Victim' was like being on one hell of a scary and unpredictable rollercoaster ride with more twists and turns than you would find on a 'Snakes & Ladders' board.  Just when you thought that you could take a breather, gather your thoughts, reclaim your stomach and settle your heart rate then off the action would go again.  This was one of those books that sent my adrenaline levels soaring, sent my blood pressure through the roof and made me as nervous as hell.
In short, I thoroughly enjoyed reading 'The Silent Victim' and I would definitely recommend this book to other readers.  I will definitely be reading more of Dana's work in the future.  Here's hoping that we don't have too long to wait.  The score on the Ginger Book Geek board is a very well deserved 5* out of 5*.
Jessie Tucker is a 36 year old crime reporter in New York.
Twelve years ago she was savagely attacked in Central Park. Left for dead, she is lucky to be alive. After intensive therapy, she is back on her feet. But she is left with physical and emotional scarring that haunts her to this day.
Her attacker was captured and put in prison, where he later died.
She is assigned to the murder of Margaret Kincaid, a campaign aid to senator Frank Landsdale.
Margaret was killed in Central Park and the crime details are frighteningly similar to Jessie's assault.
As she investigates, she begins to find connections between the two cases and realizes her attacker may still be out there somewhere.
This had a great plot idea, but I felt the execution was cliched, dull and repetitive. There was nothing new or original.
I seem to be in the minority, I've seen many good reviews for this book, but it wasn't for me.
Thank you to Bookouture for the e-ARC via NetGalley.
The Silent Victim is the first book in the Jessie Tucker Mystery series and I have to say I was completely and thoroughly hooked right from the start.

Crime reporter Jessie Tucker was attacked twelve years ago as she made her way home from an outdoor concert. Having fought her way back to full recovery, a slight limp is the only reminder of the trauma of that night. The police told her she was unlucky and that she was safe after they charged a local man for the crime. But Jessie has never managed to shake the feeling that there was someone else in the park that night, that she knew.

When a woman is attacked and killed, the police believe the deceased was a random target, but Jessie Tucker isn’t convinced – she’s seen this crime scene before, when she was the victim.

When the dead woman, Margaret Kincaid’s murder file lands on her desk, Jessie knows she can’t keep silent any longer. Margaret’s wounds exactly match her own, but Jessie’s attacker is in prison, and Jessie has never met the victim. What links her to Margaret Kincaid, and why did the attacker let one woman live, and the other die?

Then the police gun down their main suspect and it seems that Margaret’s case will die with him. But Jessie is sure that the police got it wrong: the real killer is still out there, and it’s someone close to home. It’s up to Jessie to put together the pieces before he finds his next victim… but who can she trust with the horrendous truth?

Written from the point of view of Jessie, I fell right into this well-crafted and absorbing tale and I felt as though I was shadowing her as she worked at chasing her story and following her leads and instincts. I adored the story-lines which were easy to follow and Dana Perry's writing-style was  impressive and note-worthy. I had considered several scenarios but I completely off the mark and never would have guessed the end result.

Also, I think that the author merely scratched the surface with Jessie's portrayal. I was extremely taken with this character's toughness, drive and tenacity and look forward to reading about her in future instalments of this series. With its polished pacing and plotting I found this to be a thoroughly enjoyable, original and difficult to put down début from Dana Perry. Evidently he is a gifted storyteller who can provide readers with thrills, sophistication and a story packed with substance. A very highly recommended five star read.

I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel, at my request, from Bookouture via NetGalley and this review is my own unbiased opinion.
A jaw dropping finish with more twists then you can imagine.

"It's easy to read conspiracy into things that you have no answer for...."

Sometimes things just seem a little bit too easy...a little bit too convenient.
Jessie Tucker survived a brutal attack 12 years before in Central Park. This changed her life in so many ways. She is now a crime reporter for the Tribune concentration on the stories of the victims.

Margaret Kincaids body is found in Central Park. She was bludgeoned to death with a rock. She worked in the campaign office of Senator Frank Lansdale and was in a relationship with his son.
Her murderer is swiftly found and killed by the police when he resists arrest.

Things don't add up for Jessie. Who was Margaret really and why is there an eerie resemblance to her own case 12 years ago? Jessie is like a real pitbull who will not give up finding the truth even if it means going up against powerful people.

I can highly recommend this book! It's a quick read that will really keep you guessing till the end....and then some more!

Thank you to #bookouture and #netgalley for the ARC in exchange for my honest opinion.