Together We Caught Fire

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 04 Feb 2020

I hadn't read the description enough before reading this book but it is not for me, it is a romantic relationship involving step siblings which I just don't read.
This novel took me a bit by surprise! I was not expecting the genre that it was. With saying that I did enjoy this novel as a literary work. I did appreciate that Gibson touched on the subject of endometriosis as I suffer from that, it made me feel a bit more connected to the book! Overall well done !!
Rating: 4.5

*Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review*

Wow. This book was jam packed with a lot of hard hitting subjects. Secret crushes, religion, homelessness, endometriosis, trauma and mental illness.

The main character Lane has been in love with Grey ever since they were paired during a science project/experiment together. When her dad invites her to dinner with his new girlfriend and their son she learns that the son is none other than Grey. Within weeks of this meeting the parents are married and Grey moves in to the bedroom beside Lane. This is where the story unfolds.

Having to navigate through this new family dynamic, Lane starts to hang out with Grey and Sadie his girlfriend. In one of these outings she meets Sadie’s brother, Connor, who’s an artist that lives in the loft of an artist’s warehouse. The story takes you through how Lane’s traumatic past relating to her mother is suppressed, a love triangle ensues as she learns what love is, teenage relationships are questioned, different religions butt heads, and certain incidents trigger different emotions from each character.

This story at times felt unrealistic and a little older than it should with the way the characters were speaking to one another yet so realistic at the same time. I laughed out loud, cringed, and felt moved throughout.

This was a great first read by this author and I’d be interested in picking up books she puts out in the future.
Wow! Was not expecting to enjoy this type of book as much as I did.
It was very swoony and I loved every minute of it!
The book was so well written and thankfully unlike lots of other novels the plot lines followed through instead of building up suspense only to drop it.

Loved this book can’t wait to read more from this author