We Are the Wildcats

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Mar 2020

“This is why the field hockey girls would live on this field forever if they could. This blessed rectangle where their worth is wholly quantifiable, statistical, analytic black and white. How incredibly freeing it is to live a few hours each day where they don’t worry about being beautiful or sweet or modest or smart or funny or feminine. The only thing required of them here is to be their absolute best.”

I absolutely loved this book!  In “We Are The Wildcats” by Siobhan Vivian, a toxic coach finds himself outplayed by the high school girls on his team in a feminist-minded and suspenseful novel, which unspools over twenty-four hours through six diverse perspectives.  As an athlete during my own high school days, I was incredibly drawn to the book’s plot as well as the focus of the experience of female athletes.  From the very start, readers will be fully engaged in the story and deeply impressed by the authors authentic writing style and genuinely detailed characters.  Siobhan Vivian’s words so accurately reflect the often maligned experience of female athletes in high school settings where male teams are placed on pedestals regardless of achievement or success.  A testament to the strength and resilience of modern teenage girls, “We Are the Wildcats”, coming out in March 2020, is certain to have readers cheering aloud.

Sincere thanks to Netgalley and Simon & Schuster for an advanced readers ebook copy in exchange for an honest review.
this gets the big ole NOPE from me.

this novel follows 6 girls on the wildcats varsity field hockey team as they embark on a mission the night before their first scrimmage of the season. most of the book explores the back stories of these girls and how they got to where they are in the present, but aside from that, there's not much plot.

while some of the characters were marginally enjoyable, the book dragged to no end... and it only took place over one day/night. but this book focussed heavily on the girls' relationship to their coach (referred to only as 'coach'), and while this relationship is VERY inappropriate, much of the book tries to justify it. even though the girls eventually see his behaviour as unacceptable, it's still VERY NOT OK.

also, i don't really want to support this author any more, due to the very Not Cool twitter responses. (authors needs to not engage with readers' reviews, unless to say 'thank you.') see more here: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/nov/15/young-adult-ya-authors-sarah-dessen-brooke-nelson

all in all, this was very very Not Good.
This book was so exciting!
I spent my whole day dedicated to this book and I was hooked. I couldn’t put it down. It was so thrilling and incredibly well written filled to the brim with detail.
Loved it!