Half-Truths

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 15 Apr 2020

I received Half Truths as an ARC in exchange for a review.

Mae, is a college senior, who returned home to attend her family’s alums mater. Mae is desperate to solve the mystery of a coed who disappeared without a trace, and to unravel secrets in her brother’s past.

This book gripped me from the prologue and the suspense held me until the last page of the epilogue. I tore through this book in a day because I couldn’t put it down. Book 1 left me wanting more from these characters and this world that Claire Contreras created. I can’t wait to see what is waiting in Book 2.
This was my first book by Claire Contreras, I gave it 3 stars, the secret societies thing looks like isn't my thing , this book reminded  me of a show on Netflix "the order"  Which I also didn’t like, The thing between Mae and Logan has  zero chemistry ,  I had to roll my eyes every time they talk to each other,  the writing style was very good , I would like to read more books by this author,  but Would I read the next book in this series ? No.

الكتاب اكد ليا بالفعل كرهي لكل القصص المتعلقة بالمجتمعات السرية والاخوية والاجواء هدي، حتي في المسلسلات معاش تجذبني التيمة هدي ، الكتابة كويسة جدا وممكن نقرا كتب تانية للكاتبة .. نرشح الكتاب لمحبي التشويق وقصص المجتمعات السرية.
I am all kinds of obsessed with this book. It has such an element of mystery that keeps you turning the pages until you get to the bottom of everything. I did suspect some of the things that would happen but 100% not in the way that they did happen so I was very pleasantly surprised. I love when a story can keep me on my toes.

I loved Amelia and Logan. I loved their romance. I loved watching Amelia unfold the mystery surrounding the secret societies and the missing people and I loved watching Logan stand by her.

I do feel like the missing people element is still a bit unsolved so I’m definitely looking forward to what Claire writes next in this world!
When I was reading this, I felt like I was missing a vital piece of information.  The secret societies were interesting but confusing.  It took a while to get into it, but when everything started happening in the second half of the book, I didn't want to stop reading.  This would be a great holiday read.

I received this book as an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Reading the summary sounded so good but this was just not it.

I was expecting a good suspense romance because when you read the summary of the book, you'd think it would be dark. That the main character/heroine is some badass or headstrong girl who's out there to seek justice. That this could also be a thrilling story despite that it's romance. That there would be surprising twists and turns, and even shocking revelations. Well, not really.

These happened:

• I hardly felt the suspense.
• The suspect/culprit was so easy to identify (and too early to be mentioned).
• The heroine, Amelia, was too slow. And made the poor choices and picked the wrong people to be with.
• And I had to roll my eyes every time someone brings up how beautiful she is like lol okay we get it. It's nice to know she's pretty but does it have to be (almost) every character who meets her say that...
• Also the romance between her and Logan, the hero, has zero chemistry.
• They kept arguing who dislikes who (which was pretty annoying by the way) to her bringing up his groupies every chance she could get to their unfounded jealousy (like since when did you two started dating anyway?) to them declaring their love for each other like HUH??
• Wish there were more Logan POV chapters though because he seems to be the hero here but there's still so much layer to his character that wasn't tackled.
• The secret societies were interesting at first but then they just sounded ridiculous in the end.
I could actually go on but let me not.

But one thing that really frustrated me was how the Amelia just ignored the UNKNOWN text messages she's received. I AM SO TIRED OF THIS TROPE. Like yeah, she told someone about it but that wasn't enough? And they just brushed it off later on?? You're trying to look for clues/answers to this missing person's case. You're INVOLVED and you've been vocal about your curiosity to the people (sometimes even frankly which I gotta say was kinda dumb because you never know if they're trustworthy or not). PEOPLE WOULD KNOW YOU. Or at least be familiar of you and your interest in this case. You just don't brush off messages from unknown numbers especially if they link to the case in hand and are weird and cryptic. THIS TROPE NEEDS TO END. I've watched a lot of true-crime and missing persons documentaries and when I say "a lot", I don't mean that lightly. So this solving thing Amelia was doing was just... crap.

There's also still so many questions I wanna ask. Questions I need answers to because the focus on this book was really big on these secret societies, one in particular. The initiation tests felt like it dragged on and were completely unnecessary. Like I just want to know more about this missing person case. I want some leads. Some clues. Some clear backstory of the person and the events. I mean yes, there were but it really got overshadowed by this society thing and the no-chemistry romance.

The thing they got right though was when the characters filed for a missing person, the officer in-charge was like "maybe she blahblahblah" which is a realistic but frustrating thing. It's really sad when the authorities create some alternative scenarios so they could avoid this and make you wait before you could file for a report. Messed up system, I swear.

Lastly, this will be a bit spoilery but as a Fine Arts student, can someone tell me how they easily stole a painting that costs millions so easily by hiding it under their shirt? This painting is estimated 106x78 inches in size. I get that in the scene, there was no frame but canvas cloth isn't light? It's not even thin even if you roll it up. Heck, the size alone is big. I carry a 12x18-inched sketchpad and it's already a hassle for me every Friday class. The artist in me probably just jumped out at this scene because.. it's just impossible and ridiculous.

Anyway. I'm ending this review with me feeling disappointed but still giving two stars because there were parts my interest was piqued. Sadly, it wasn't enough. This book had its potential. The execution was just lacking.
Although the novel kept my attention, it turned out to be a run of the mill romance with a little mystery sprinkled on the side. There were many cheesy and predictable moments, as well as a horribly misrepresentation of feminist politics. I mean, it was extremely problematic that you had a hockey player explain to a class of women's studies students that female athletes should not be paid equally if they do not bring in the same money as male players. At which point, the narrative seemed to be okay with that answer.
I loved the premise of Half Truths and was eager to see what ride the author would take readers on, and it was indeed a ride and one I think many readers will love.

I enjoyed the slow burn romance and the secrets driving the suspenseful plot, it set a specific mood that carried throughout the book. I also really liked the setting. The author did a fantastic job painting the scenes with vivid descriptors and flushing out the emotions of the characters, making it easy to become immersed in the story. Although I wouldn’t say Half Truths was chock-full of unanticipated twists and revelations, the way the story of the secret societies and disappearing students unfurled definitely grabbed and held my attention.

In fact, the story snagged so much of my interest that the romance ended up being a backstory in many ways. While I did like the slow build between Logan and Amelia and thought they complimented each other well, the chemistry between these two seemed to spark but not catch fire as much as I hoped. Perhaps it was simply that all the other action and suspense muted their romance, but despite the slow initial build, it felt as though their feelings developed and significantly deepened far too quickly based on their histories. Regardless, Half Truths is definitely worth the read, especially if you like plots that contain many moving parts.
I will start off by saying I've read every single one of Claire Contreras books. AND I LOVE THIS AUTHOR.

This one was a 3.5 stars for me. I can tell it's a  thing.
I think most can appreciate sometimes it's just a mood thing. TBH I'm sad that I didn't absolutely love it like most everyone else.

This story has a great flow. The mystery is constant, intriguing and I couldn't stop turning pages.
Logan is the perfect bad-boy-mysterious-hero I LOVE HIM!!!
Amelia is determined and daring.

But I was left with questions. This is a standalone and there were some aspects that weren't clear  I'm just looking too much into it but I don't think so. By the end of the book I still wasn't sure what the purpose of  was..... #NoSpoilers
Unfortunately, the formatting of this title was bad enough that I was not able to read it...blank pages, pages with only a couple of lines on them, uneven paragraphs and spacing.

This will stay on my TBR as something I may pick up at a later date, but I am not able to review this ARC.
DNF @ 59%.

I feel like I'm just hate reading this at this point, so I'm going to let it go. Let me sum this up for you, rich people are terrible and the heroine of this book hates herself for having money. Oh, and she's edgy...which makes her like most of the other heroines I read. OH. Also, the hottest guy on campus wants her but barely knows her. Which would be fine if it was just for sex. But he's doing some heavy hinting at wanting her for more. And I just don't know why...

I will say that while I am not a fan of this book, I do think the author is a decent writer. I'm just not on board with this plot.
Half Truths is this perfect narrative constructed by some of my favourite tropes—secret societies, enemies to lovers and college sports—beautifully weaved together and set within an eerie, sinister environment that clutched every fibre of my being without remorse. Carefully crafted, Claire Contreras delivered a suspense-filled romance that left me on edge, wondering what questions will be answered and secrets unveiled as each page flew by in the most riveting blur ever.

"He had a mysterious aura about him that matched his namesake."

I’m in absolute love with Logan Fitzgerald, a perpetually brooding hero surrounded by an aura of alluring mystery and captivating intrigue. Mean and detached though somehow charming, Fitz’s disinterested attitude is overshadowed by an unforeseen softer, sweeter side hidden beneath the complex multi-facets he possesses. Receiving glimpses of this unattainable hero left me an unashamed wanton mess, desperate to have more of this conceited character because there’s nothing better than having a mean yet romantic hero.

"He left a lot to the imagination. Maybe that was it. He gave just enough to pique interest, but not enough to satisfy."

Amelia Bastón’s characterisation truthfully astounded me. She’s more than just a ‘rich girl’ surrounded by materialism and superficiality. Mae’s determination to become more, to achieve her dreams beyond her family’s desires is an admirable and relatable quality that will resonate with readers. Furthermore, her irrevocable love for her brother is an endearment. Combined with an unfettered resolve to uncover some hidden truths unveils a character that’s fierce and intelligent and ambitious; a woman who loves wholly and unconditionally.

"I want you forever, Amelia,” he said against my hair. “And forevermore after that."

Started as enemies, but turned into lovers, Fitz and Mae’s connection transitioned with such a delicious slow burn, my heart ached to have more once the torture finished. Despite the constant bickering and bantering, the sexual tension and chemistry between them kindled and crackled into something undeniable as it flared across the pages. Even though the romance doesn’t dominate the narrative, Fitz and Mae’s bond progresses naturally and beautifully.

Countless secrets and creative foreshadowing increase the tension and suspense tenfold flowing through this intricate narrative. I’m in absolute love with enemies to lovers and the feature of secret societies and college sports made me more enamoured than I anticipated with Half Truths. It’s as if my heart waited for something this brilliant, a faultless blend of romance and thriller, to be written for years.
When I read the synopsis of Half-Truths, I knew that I had to get my hands on it! I have been on the hunt for a good romantic thriller for a long time, but every time I have picked one up, it was always lacking. Either the mystery was top-notch or the romance was amazing, but they never seemed to both be on the same level. That was until I read Half-Truths, one of my favorite reads of 2019.

This is my first read by Claire Contreras and I can't wait to read some of her other books because I thought Half-Truths was written masterfully. Everything flowed perfectly and the story unraveled at the perfect pace. I honestly don't think that it could have been written better because it was just perfect. Also, would this not be the perfect book to turn into a TV show? Come on Netflix, make this happen!

Don't even get me started on Logan! He was a hot, brooding alpha male that so happens to be my newest book boyfriend. I don't even have enough words to describe how perfect he was. I also really loved Mae. She was smart, sassy and felt very genuine. I also liked that every time she put herself in danger, she did so intelligently and with purpose.

The mystery aspect of this book was great. I was on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen next. There were a lot of twists and turns and I was complexly satisfied by the time I turned the last page.

Hands down my favorite aspect of this book was the romance. Swoon worthy is not a strong enough word for what I was feeling. This book was full of angst and the chemistry between Logan and Mae was off the charts! I can't wait to pick up more books by Contreras if her romances are all like this!

I know that I have said this a million times already about this book, but this book was perfection. From the unique characters, to the thrilling mystery, to the epic romance, this book has it all. I feel like most romance readers will devour this book and it probably will create a lot of new Claire Contreras fans!
I finished this book a couple nights ago and had a hard time gathering my thoughts afterwards to write up a review. It blew my mind and left me speechless!  There's so many layers of mystery, secrets, and lies in this beautifully written story, each skillfully woven to hook you in and make it impossible to put this book down. You will lose yourself in this world of elite ivy league secret societies, a mystery surrounding the disappearance of a young female student, and a hot enemies to lovers romance. I'm giving absolutely nothing away in my review, but trust me you need to read this book! I'm adding this to my top 2019 books list!
Half-Truths was a totally unexpected read for me and I LOVED IT! This is not just a romance novel but one filled with mystery and suspense! I haven't have the pleasure of reading many Claire Contreras novels but you can bet that's going to change after this one! I highly recommend it.
Logan and Mae's story was simply fantastic! It was layered and complex. It was emotional and explosive. It had me hooked from page one through to the end. I have always been a fan of this author but this story just took it up a notch. It's a hard one to review without giving away spoilers. I will say it's one of the very best kind of enemies to lovers I've ever read. Definitely recommend.
Incredible! Claire Contreras did not disappoint. I love this world she has created and I can’t wait to read more!
3.5 Stars
Days after finishing this book and I'm still undecided on my feelings and rating for it.
But I've got to try and put my feelings into a review. So here goes:

I didn't enjoy this first 60% of this book, it was slow and I couldn't connect with the characters properly. I felt like we had everything thrown at us at the beginning. In a new school, these werid people walking round in cloacks, a missing girl, Mae brother's accident. I dunno. It just seemed like a lot. Then through in there that Logan, plays hockey and I'm not even sure what genre of book we have here.

Anyway, the things I like are: the last 40%, the book just felt like it took a whole different turn on the storyline. I enjoyed the characters a lot more, actually started to root for them. I kind of knew who that "bag guy" was going to be. I've read a lot of thrillers/mystery/suspence books and some of them are just easy to spot. But I didn't figure out the why. I did find myself sitting on the edge of my seat and ignoring real life to kind out what was going to happen.

By the end I loved the characters, and the relationship they had developed, we definatley need a follow on book as there is still loads of questions we need answers to.
My first thoughts after finishing HALF TRUTHS was HOLY S! My second was that I wanted more!!! I couldn’t believe it when I reached the end. I kept starting at my iPad willing more pages to materialize.  I’m a huge fan of Ms. Contreras and this is my favorite book to date. HALF TRUTHS has the perfect mixture of romance and suspense. I loved Amelia and loved Logan even more. I love this twisted world she came up with and I’m hoping we”ll see more of it in the future. I loved Logan hardcore and was constantly on edge waiting for the other shoe to drop. My favorite thing about this book (besides him ....swoon) is that it was unpredictable. I had no clue where this story was going or what the twist was until the second the author wanted me  to. Bravo! A must read.
Completely twisted and mysterious!!!!! I was so enthralled with this book from the start. I had no clue what this book was about when I started reading it and honestly, I’m so glad I went on blind. It made it that much more enjoyable.

This read was so suspenseful, I was left guessing right up until the end. There was such an intricate web of secrets and conspiracies in this book that you just never quite knew what was real vs speculation and what would happen next!

Amelia aka Mae was the perfect heroine for this story! She was strong and independent but vulnerable and a bit of a loner. She was so driven and I think that really helped the bottom line of this story. She wouldn’t take people at their word and needed to find out the truth herself. Her curiosity and rigid back bone proved to work in her favor though out the suspenseful torture the author put us through. She was so sassy and smart. I couldn’t find a single thing to dislike about her.

I couldn’t get enough of Logan “Fitz” Fitzgerald!!!!! He may have been a total jerk in the beginning but oh my goodness did he make me swoon by the end! His character was so complex and guarded. I loved how he slowly peeled back layers of himself to Mae over the course of the read. He totally won me over.

I absolutely enjoyed the fact that romance was not the focus of this story. It was there, hiding in the darkest corners of the writing and really allowed the story to flow unconstrained by a relationship or feelings. Yes, there was some incredible intimacy, but it wasn’t the sole focus which worked so well for this particular book!

The only thing that kept this book from being 5 stars for me was the ending chapters. It felt so rushed and left a bit open ended. There was so much suspense and anticipating built up over the course of the book, that it felt like the author didn’t do the ending justice by rushing through it. I would have preferred a duet for this story.
I love Claire Contreras and I loved this book! There was so much mystery surrounding this whole story. I loved all of the ups and downs. I shipped Mae and Logan super hard. I did not see that ending coming and I really enjoyed that. I can't wait to read what other books Claire comes up with in this universe. Thanks to Netgalley for providing me with and ARC in exchange for an honest review.