Homefront Heroines

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 Mar 2020

Homefront Heroes is a collection of historical novellas.  Set in the 40s, which happens to be my favorite time period to read about, each story is well written and enjoyable.  This collection is well worth your time.
Full of 40s charm, patriotism, and swoon-worthy romance, Homefront Heroines is a lovely collection, perfect for fans of authors such as Sarah Sundin and Cara Putman. Readers are treated to four delightfully different stories; a farm girl grieving a lost brother; a young woman who encourages her community to plant victory gardens; a girl doing her part for the war effort in the hills of Kentucky; a former librarian turned nurse who has a chance encounter with a movie star. With rich period detail, the spirit of the 40s and those that kept the home fires stirring comes to life throughout the book. Each story has a swift pace to keep you turning pages, and enough warmth to linger in your heart long after the last sentence. Inspirational readers across the board will find something to love in this collection. Highly recommend!

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Barbour Book through NetGalley. All opinions expressed in this review are my own.
Home Front Heroines  is a good collection of historical novellas.  Each selection is well written.  If you enjoy reading historical fiction this just might be the book for you.  I received an arc from the publisher and Netgalley and this is my unbiased review.
Homefront Heroines by various authors is a collection of stories showing how the women left at home during World War II supported the troops fighting overseas.
Moonlight Serenade by Rita Gerlach- Kate St. Clare has just learned that her brother and fiancé have been lost to the war. How will she go on? She sees an ad for the U.S. Employment Service and decides to sign on and is soon off to Washington DC to work in a factory. She meets a childhood friend who is on leave and spends time with him. Will more develop than friendship?
Only Forever by Lauralee Bliss- Marilyn Pearl’s brother has gone off to fight in the war and she wants to make a difference too. Through her friend Arthur McNamara she learns about the Victory Garden program and decides to start a group in their town. Will more than plants be blooming?
Blue Moon by Johnnie Alexander- Kathleen is a patrol officer protecting the Norris Dam and other military installations in the area. One night she decides to break protocol and take a walk after curfew with her dog Liberty to see the blue moon. They happen upon someone near the dam and Liberty is shot. Kathleen apprehends the suspect but things are not all as they seem. Her life is turned upside down as she is reassigned. Will she also find love in this confusion?
Dream a Little Dream by Amanda Barratt- Rosemary is a library assistant and is on vacation visiting Hollywood. She meets the handsome Cliff Powell who takes her out to a fancy restaurant and dining. He is soon enlisted in the military and she makes her dream of becoming a nurse come true. Will they meet again or will they just have that one night to dream of forever?
These stories are very well written and I enjoyed each one very much. I give this collection 5 of 5 stars. I recommend it to everyone.
I received an advance copy of this book through Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.
The four novellas in this collection center around the women who worked during World War II, some in factories--like shipyards, munitions factories, etc.  My favorite novella is by Johnnie Alexander, and details the story of a young woman who is doing security work for the Tennessee Valley Authority.  In the course of her work, she has been assigned a German Shepherd named "Liberty."  On one night when she was off duty, she ran into a man trying to sneak into a secure area with a dam.  In the chaos of the situation, he shoots her dog.  When she finally takes control of the circumstances, she realizes that the man is the one who broke her heart when he signed up for the Army.  Because of her skills and his assignment in Intelligence, they are both given an assignment that require them to pretend they don't know each other.  I've read several of Johnnie's full length novels and find that her writing is intriguing and compelling and it was worth every minute of reading.

One or two of the stories are a bit abrupt and lack the depth of this one, but overall, I truly enjoyed the stories and applaud Barbour Books for pulling together such a quality read.

This is a solid four stars.  My thanks go to Barbour Books and NetGalley.com for providing the galley I read for this review.
Overall, Homefront Heroines is a great collection for any history lover or WWII buff. If you love Sarah Sundin’s books (and what’s not to love), you’ll definitely enjoy this collection. I included individual thoughts for each novella below.

Moonlight Serenade by Rita Gerlach
I had to push my way through this. The romance was rushed, and I didn’t find it believable. I know a lot of romances may have been rushed back then because of the war, but I’ve never been a believer in love at first sight. However, I did enjoy the look into women working for the war effort. I also liked that the focus stayed on Kate and the work she was doing.

Only Forever by Lauralee Bliss
This was a sweet and well-written story. The fact that Marilyn and Art already know each other makes the quick timeline believable. And Art is such a sweet character, you can’t help but root for him to get the girl.

Blue Moon by Johnnie Alexander
This was my favorite. There’s plenty of suspense and action, and Kathleen and Roger’s interactions made their relationship come alive. I think Johnnie Alexander outdid herself here. My only complaint is the way it ended. The characters needed to have a conversation, and I wanted to see it, but instead it happened “off-screen” and we find out about it later. But other than that, it’s a fast and delightful read.

Dream a Little Dream by Amanda Barratt
This was my second favorite and a wonderful way to complete the collection. Amanda Barratt does a great job showing her characters’ personalities, and I loved seeing the way Cliff and Rosemary transform over the years. The romance is sweet and well-paced. No doubt you’ll be swept away by Cliff just like Rosemary is.

(Review will go live on the blog on Dec. 27 at 5:00 pm)
This is a refreshing collection of novellas which take place during World War II. Each of the four heroines are strong characters who are determined to do their part,in the war effort. There is a strong Christian message running through each story and also some wartime romance. I enjoy World War II historical fiction and recommend this set of novellas to anyone who who enjoys this genre.
I was given a free copy of the book by NetGalley from Barbour Publishers. The opinions in this review are completely my own.
Homefront Heroines: 4 Young Women Dream of Victory and Love During WWII is a collection of four stories. These stories include:
Dream a Little Dream by Amanda M Barratt
I enjoyed this collection. My favorite is Rita Gerlach's Moonlight Serenade. I believe readers who enjoy sweet World War II era romance would enjoy this one.
Four stars.
My Thoughts: The collection as a whole is a historical goldmine. I loved how each story took a drastically different look at life during the war. There are nurses, secret agents, soldiers, gardeners, and factory workers. The concept behind each story was a hit with me, but I thought that the majority of them needed to be fleshed out a bit more in one way or another.

Moonlight Serenade was very well researched. There were several little nuggets weaved into each scene. Sadly I struggled to feel fully connected to the characters.

Only Forever showed one of the ways people were taken advantage of during the war which was an interesting side to the war that I never considered before.

Blue Moon had the strongest start of the entire set, but the mystery would have benefitted from a little more room, so it could truly marinate and deepen.

Dream a Little Dream was my favorite of the set. It took me back to Old Hollywood and gave me a tender romance.

Rating and Recommendation: I'm giving the set 4 stars and recommending it to those who enjoy Christian Historical Fiction.

~ I received a copy from the publisher through NetGalley. All thoughts are my own. I was not compensated for this review or required to give a favorable one.
I knew this would be an intriguing collection with titles like, Moonlight Serenade, Only Forever, Blue Moon and Dream a Little Dream. Each of these novellas are ones you won't want to put down. I found myself staying up late each night so I could finish them. Each story is about a strong independent woman who is doing her part here in the US to support our troops during WWII. Each contain action, adventure, intrigue and romance. I like to read these collections because I often get to read a new to me author. Johhnie Alexander, Amanda Barrett, Lauralee Bliss and Rita Gerlach all did an excellent job. I would definitely recommend  Homefront Heroines.  I received a copy of this book from Barbour Books  through NetGalley. The opinions expressed in this review are my own.
"Homefront Heroines" by authors Rita Gerlach, Lauralee Bliss, Johnnie Alexander, and Amanda M. Barratt is a pleasant collection of stories filled with love and sacrifice as women go beyond the call to help their nation during World War II. Each story takes the reader to a new situation where we learn that, in spite of war, love continues to find a way. The varied styles of the authors is obvious from story to story, but the book finishes very strong with the work of Ms. Barratt.

Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of this book through NetGalley and was not required to write a favorable review. All opinions are my own.
Homefront Heroines
By Johnnie Alexander, Amanda Barratt, Lauralee Bliss, Rita Gerlach
War is certainly not romantic but I always enjoy a good wartime romance story. This collection was full of adventure, intrigue, and romance although I didn’t care for Only Forever. These stories represented 4 different positions of heroines during WW2. I enjoyed thinking about what I might have done to aid in the war effort and if called to take action on how I would respond. This quote is from Blue Moon and reminded me how to simplify tough situations, “Assess the situation. Adapt to the situation. Act on the situation.” Prayer is action even if it doesn’t feel like much at the time. I am learning that prayer is the only action you can or should take at times and that is hard. I imagine that family and friends felt this way as they sent their loved ones to aid in the war effort. Our country seems to be at odds with itself and I can say with certainty that prayer is needed to see this country through. Take a minute with me and pray for our leaders both in Washington and locally. Pray for our educators and pastors. Pray for your community and church. Pray for your friends and family. Pray for yourself. We all need God to guide our path and lead us in His ways.
I received a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for my honest opinion shared here.
An enjoyable and inspirational collection of all new novellas, set during WW2 in the U.S.!
The settings include a good variety of places and jobs where women actually served during the war years. From small town Victory Gardens, nurses in military hospitals, factories with 'Rosie the Riveter' and 'Winnie the Welder', and security guards, they all work hard to do their part. These women showed a lot of courage and spunk to step out of their comfort zones--sometimes into dangerous situations--to help out the war effort.
    They look to God for help in trouble, comfort in their losses, and encourage others to have faith.
I enjoyed each one of these stories, but especially the third one with some action and suspense. The old Hollywood setting in the last one was fun with familiar names and places too. The romance was especially satisfying in that one, with a sighworthy ending to cap it off.
Recommend for any reader interested in clean historical romances set during WW2. 4.5 stars
Homefront Heroines focuses on the stories of four young women who are supporting their country during WWII. The stories are set in North America following the bombing of Pearl Harbor and the different roles that women took up including planting victory gardens, working in ammunition factories, nurses and various military roles that did not involve active duty.

Each story was charming and atmospheric and readers will be transported to the turn of the 20th century and get a sense of the anxiety that comes with longing for loved ones to come back homely. At the same time, readers will be inspired by the patriotism exhibited by the main characters and their menfolk that risked their lives for their country.

I would genuinely recommend this title because of its slice of life approach and heartwarming stories.
I love novella collections. The shorter length of each story is perfect for when you want a quick read. I usually find that I like two or three of the four stories within a collection. This rings true for the four stories within this collection.

Moonlight Serenade by Rita Gerlach gave me a glimpse into the lives of women who filled some of the jobs left open by soldiers. I never thought about the boarding houses or thankless work the women did—as they were looked down on by their bosses. The story was good with nice character development.

Only Forever by Lauralee Bliss stalled me in this novella collection. I finally skimmed to the end.

Blue Moon by Johnnie Alexander was a perfect novella. The character development was quick but did not feel rushed due to the previous history between the protagonists. I enjoyed the setting of the ultra-secret city where the atom bombs were built.

Dream a Little Dream by Amanda M Barratt was another good story within this collection. I see stories about soldiers and the homefront, but this was the first I’ve read one set in a rehab facility. Of course all those injured soldiers had to have a place to go for PT and OT (as well as nursing/medical care) so they could learn to function and thrive after burns, amputations, and other injuries. The author did a good job with the setting, characters, and story.

Overall, I give this collection 3-stars.

I follow the GoodReads rating system. Please note that this means even the 3-star books are ones I liked.
1 star – didn’t like it
2 stars – it was OK
3 stars – liked it
4 stars – really liked it
5 stars – it was amazing; I’ll read it over and over and/or it will impact my daily life.

I received a complimentary copy from the publisher through NetGalley. I was not required to give a positive review. The thoughts and opinions expressed here are entirely my own.
This is a very well written book. Each of the stories deal with how women helped during WWII and how strong and resourceful they had to be. This is a wonderful collection of clean inspirational stories that the authors brought to life with their words. All four of the authors did an outstanding job of writing this collection and each story holds your attention from the beginning until the end  If you like historical christian fiction, you will love this book. Thank you Barbour Publishing via NetGalley for the ARC copy of this book. All opinions expressed are my own.
Superspeed readers like me can read 150 - 200+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. LOL

Patriotic Service Leads to Victories in Romance - Relive life on the American homefront as four women of the WWII era join the workforce and discover romance in surprising ways.

1941, Washington D.C.
When Kate St. Claire takes over a sailor’s job at the Naval Yard in Washington, DC, she is thrown into a romance she never expected.

1943, Springville, New York
Marilyn and Arthur learn the hard way that it’s not the outside that matters, but the inward working of the heart that is precious to God and each other.

1943, Oak Ridge, Tennessee
After humiliating each other, a WOOPs officer and an Army Intelligence agent team up to protect a top-secret atomic bomb facility from sabotage.

Dream a Little Dream by Amanda Barratt
1945, Palm Springs, California
When an army nurse and a former film star are reunited at a wartime hospital, can they move beyond their past and into a future together?

WWII proved to the world that woman can 🐝 as strong and as helpful as men are in all areas of life. Women have always been able to 🐝 strong but it took a war and the men away to prove it to the world. These four stories are nice and clean and inspirational and it reminded me a bit of "Bomb Girls" and "Frankie Drake Mystieres" and their strong women.
🐝 smart - read this book - it is four stories that are wonderfully written and enjoyable by anyone who ikes nice clean reads.

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "Social Influencer Millennials" on Instagram and Twitter) so let's give it 🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝
Each of these four books is about a girl who is working on the homefront to help with the war effort, but they are all about different aspects of the homefront war, including victory gardens, Oak Ridge, the USO / entertainment, and Rosie the Riveter (or in this case, Winnie the Welder).  Each story has a unique feel to it, and they incorporate some of the shadier sides of war that most people either have forgotten or gloss over, such as sabotage and con men.  Overall, a nice little collection of novellas.
In “Moonlight Serenade” a young lady from a farm in Pennsylvania applies for a job through the War Department and ends up in Washington DC with a job as a Light Welder, a job formerly held by a US Navy Sailor.

Here you find the heartaches, tears, tenseness and anger of women laboring in men’s jobs doing their part for the war efforts while their men fight for freedom for all.   Each lady knowing not all the men will return, some already having lost family during the attack on Pearl Harbor and in the sinking of the Arizona.

“Only Forever” is all about Victory Gardens.  The sister of an enlisted man starts one and ends up heading a committee for the town they live near.  It is a story of commitment to a plan and the responsibility for a large group of people planting these gardens.  It also points out that not everyone is legitimately who they say they are nor are they integral in what they claim they will do and they attempt to keep the gardens from succeeding.  Will the young lady be blamed, is the town angry at her, is the culprit apprehended, is it too late to plant, grow and harvest?

“Blue Moon” is about the TVA, WOOPS and Oak Ridge, Tennessee.

WOOPS is an acronym for Women Officers of Public Safety hired to patrol the Tennessee Valley Authority’s facilities and installations.

When the TVA built Norris Dam many were displaced and then resettled only to be displaced again when they built Oak Ridge.   This story takes into account actions, feelings and sentiments from this displacement.  WOOPS plays a vital part in this story which makes for intrigue, suspense and mystery.

“Dream a Little Dream” starts out in Hollywood in 1940 where a young lady is spending a weeks vacation.  Where else would one also might meet an actor but in Hollywood and she does and they spend one delightful day together.

Fast forward to 1944 and the young lady is now a registered nurse and a Lieutenant working in a military hospital.  The actor is a Captain in the US Marines stationed somewhere in the Pacific.  Said actor becomes her patient recovering from severe wounds received in a battle.  Will she be able to help him recover and will he adjust to all he has lost?

All stories have WWII as a common thread but then each is radically different.   Each has a heroine who steps forth and does her part for her country and does it with strength, honor and faith in Victory and the return home of the fathers, sons, brothers, husbands, fiancées and boyfriends who either enlisted or were drafted.

I thank the authors, NetGalley and Barbour Publishing for allowing me to read this book in advance of its publishing date.